Clint Eastwood films

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Post Reply
Chris21wen
Posts: 7905
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Cottesmore, Rutland

Clint Eastwood films

Post by Chris21wen »

I've just watched for the first time two war films made my Eastwood/Spielburg, 'Flags of our Fathers' and 'Letters from Iwo Jima'. I don't know how many have seen them but as war movies go they are pretty good especially 'Letters from Iwo Jima as I do know of any other war film that has been made from the Japanese prospective.
User avatar
Apollo11
Posts: 25454
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

RE: Clint Eastwood films

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Chris H

I've just watched for the first time two war films made my Eastwood/Spielburg, 'Flags of our Fathers' and 'Letters from Iwo Jima'. I don't know how many have seen them but as war movies go they are pretty good especially 'Letters from Iwo Jima as I do know of any other war film that has been made from the Japanese prospective.

Yep - those were good (especially "Letters from Iwo Jima")!


BTW, here are two recent movies from Japanese perspective (and made in japan):

#1
Otoko Tachi No Yamato

IMDB Link (click on it): Otoko-tachi no Yamato (2005)


#2
Ore wa, kimi no tame ni koso shini ni iku

IMDB Link (click on it): Ore wa, kimi no tame ni koso shini ni iku (2007)


Leo "Apollo11"
Image

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Fishbed
Posts: 1827
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:52 am
Location: Henderson Field, Guadalcanal

RE: Clint Eastwood films

Post by Fishbed »

There was also an old movie seen from the eyes of the navy aviators. Air combats were made with models (that doesn't look very nice though) but the interest lies with the relationships between the different protagonists, from the air school to the helpless days of attrition over Bougainville.
User avatar
Rising-Sun
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:27 am
Location: Clifton Park, NY
Contact:

RE: Clint Eastwood films

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Chris H

I've just watched for the first time two war films made my Eastwood/Spielburg, 'Flags of our Fathers' and 'Letters from Iwo Jima'. I don't know how many have seen them but as war movies go they are pretty good especially 'Letters from Iwo Jima as I do know of any other war film that has been made from the Japanese prospective.

Yep - those were good (especially "Letters from Iwo Jima")!


BTW, here are two recent movies from Japanese perspective (and made in japan):

#1
Otoko Tachi No Yamato

IMDB Link (click on it): Otoko-tachi no Yamato (2005)


#2
Ore wa, kimi no tame ni koso shini ni iku

IMDB Link (click on it): Ore wa, kimi no tame ni koso shini ni iku (2007)


Leo "Apollo11"

Wondering if i can get that movie (yamato) at hastings, if not get i have to search for it cuz i dont hang out with video block buster much. I suppose i can ask if they can order one.
Image
User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: Clint Eastwood films

Post by Shark7 »

If you watch Turner Classic Movies, every once in a while you can catch a dubbed Japanese war film. It is interesting to say the least seeing the war from their perspective.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
User avatar
Anthropoid
Posts: 3107
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:01 am
Location: Secret Underground Lair

RE: Clint Eastwood films

Post by Anthropoid »

I enjoyed both of those Clint movies, though Letters was better IMO. I'm also a fan of Thin Red Line and "the movie whose name must not be spoken" (GAWD! that nurse was HOTT!!) though so you have to take what I say with grain of salt [:D]
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
User avatar
Rising-Sun
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:27 am
Location: Clifton Park, NY
Contact:

RE: Clint Eastwood films

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

If you watch Turner Classic Movies, every once in a while you can catch a dubbed Japanese war film. It is interesting to say the least seeing the war from their perspective.

I dont watch tv much and dont have cable network. I usually watch my own dvd collections and some videos from youtube.
Image
User avatar
irishman
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:54 pm
Location: Emerald Isle

RE: Clint Eastwood films

Post by irishman »

Tora! Tora! Tora!
The greater the difficulty, the greater the glory - Cicero
pad152
Posts: 2835
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Clint Eastwood films

Post by pad152 »

Amazon shows a couple of Yamato movies (some with english subtitles)

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... 7c&mscbg=0
User avatar
Rising-Sun
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:27 am
Location: Clifton Park, NY
Contact:

RE: Clint Eastwood films

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: irishman

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Already have that one, pretty good. I like it better than new one the one katie was in.

Cool thx pad152, i check into soon :)
Image
xj900uk
Posts: 1345
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:26 pm

RE: Clint Eastwood films

Post by xj900uk »

'Tora! Tora! Tora' was far better (IMO) than that more recent travesty from 2001.
Also I have actually met and flown in one of it's original stars, a D3A Val (which is also a far better actor than Ben Affleck, IMHO)
User avatar
invernomuto
Posts: 944
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Turin, Italy

RE: Clint Eastwood films

Post by invernomuto »

Otoko Tachi No Yamato is on YouTube, english subbed.
For those interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prd4-azzoQg
 
 
User avatar
Local Yokel
Posts: 1494
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Somerset, U.K.

RE: Clint Eastwood films

Post by Local Yokel »

Presumably you know that they were not genuine Type 99 bombers in Tora! Tora! Tora! but (I think) Convair BT-15's mocked up to look like them.

I too saw and enjoyed 'Letters' a few nights ago, although the way in which it depicted the battle seemed to me to have an almost parochial flavour.

Felt greatest regret for Nishi's horse. Fratricide of your own species is one thing, but I wish we didn't inflict it on other animals.
Image
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”