dumb question: what's H2H??
Moderator: MOD_SPWaW
- pasternakski
- Posts: 5567
- Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm
Re: dumb question: what's H2H??
Head-to-head, as opposed to human-versus-artificial-stupidity.Originally posted by Adamo
anybody??
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
Jack: You'll be happy to hear that Jorg has modified a batch of scenarios, maps, and even a campaign for H2H play.
You'll be able to get these at Dirty Dozen
When? In a few days. The next posting is nearly complete.
Pass the word to H2H players -
You'll be able to get these at Dirty Dozen
When? In a few days. The next posting is nearly complete.
Pass the word to H2H players -
-
Panzer Leo
- Posts: 403
- Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 9:00 pm
- Location: Braunschweig/Germany
Hi Jack !Originally posted by Jack
Thanks Redleg,
How are the maps different? I thought the maps are the same for all versions.
You're right, these maps are no different to v7.1 maps and are usable with both versions.
The maps are prepared for PBEM the way, that you only gotta purchase and deploy forces. Vic hexes and start lines are already set for a certain type of encounter (meeting, advance, assault).
These maps are from scenarios or the map contest and belong to the best maps I've ever seen for SPWAW.
These maps are just way to good to be used only once in a scenario...
So everybody who likes playing vs human on good looking maps can download them, no matter what version.
The rest of the package will be 12 Dirty Dozen scenarios converted to H2H OOBs and Wild Bill's great new mini-campaign "Flesh and Steel" in the Pacific, also converted to H2H OOBs...
To Adamo:
H2H is a module with primary focus on human vs human play, but not exclusively. AI play works just like in v7.1. It features all b/w pics for units, improved OOBs, new icons and...
Click on my banner below and judge yourself
Certain maps for scenarios contain features that are not conducive for other gaming. Some of these have been "scrubbed" so terrain features designed to make the AI behave in certain ways will not interfere with H2H play.
So even though the original scenario map would work, it may not work very well.
Then there is always the issue of the start lines and exit hexes which can cause a lot of trouble for players when they attempt to use a scenario map for pbem or H2H.
So even though the original scenario map would work, it may not work very well.
Then there is always the issue of the start lines and exit hexes which can cause a lot of trouble for players when they attempt to use a scenario map for pbem or H2H.
- Gallo Rojo
- Posts: 701
- Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Argentina
OK ... your web page is already in my favorites and I'm dowloading H2H version right now ...Originally posted by Panzer Leo
Hi Jack !
You're right, these maps are no different to v7.1 maps and are usable with both versions.
The maps are prepared for PBEM the way, that you only gotta purchase and deploy forces. Vic hexes and start lines are already set for a certain type of encounter (meeting, advance, assault).
These maps are from scenarios or the map contest and belong to the best maps I've ever seen for SPWAW.
These maps are just way to good to be used only once in a scenario...
So everybody who likes playing vs human on good looking maps can download them, no matter what version.
The rest of the package will be 12 Dirty Dozen scenarios converted to H2H OOBs and Wild Bill's great new mini-campaign "Flesh and Steel" in the Pacific, also converted to H2H OOBs...
To Adamo:
H2H is a module with primary focus on human vs human play, but not exclusively. AI play works just like in v7.1. It features all b/w pics for units, improved OOBs, new icons and...
Click on my banner below and judge yourself![]()
Two questions:
1. Since this is a new SPWaW version (not just a simple OOB set) I wonder if I need to do a second instalation of the game or if I just can run it at my current instalation. I mean: If I do not want to do a second instalation (and I do not want) which files should I save? I gues that I have to save all 7.1 OOB I and also de mech.exe for v7.1 ... Is there any other file that I have to back up?
2. Pleas, Correct me if I'm wrong: to have just one instalation and change versions from regular/official matrix's v7.1 and vH2H all I have to do is changing the mech.exe and the OOB files that are in the root directory of SPWAW. Am I right or I have to do some other changes?
Best
Gallo Rojo
The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end
-
Panzer Leo
- Posts: 403
- Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 9:00 pm
- Location: Braunschweig/Germany
Basically, the swapping of the mech.exe and the OOBs should work. But as there're also changes to the icons and pics wierd behaviour on some units might appear (wrong icon showing up or wrong pic are the most likely - also wrong sounds might appear). The game is not likely to crash, but expect some irregularities...Originally posted by Gallo Rojo
OK ... your web page is already in my favorites and I'm dowloading H2H version right now ...
Two questions:
1. Since this is a new SPWaW version (not just a simple OOB set) I wonder if I need to do a second instalation of the game or if I just can run it at my current instalation. I mean: If I do not want to do a second instalation (and I do not want) which files should I save? I gues that I have to save all 7.1 OOB I and also de mech.exe for v7.1 ... Is there any other file that I have to back up?
2. Pleas, Correct me if I'm wrong: to have just one instalation and change versions from regular/official matrix's v7.1 and vH2H all I have to do is changing the mech.exe and the OOB files that are in the root directory of SPWAW. Am I right or I have to do some other changes?
Best
Gallo Rojo
These pic and icon errors cannot be avoided - there're more then 1800 new pics and 50 shps (icon files) will be overwritten when installing H2H (and some 20 sounds).
A second installation would be the save way - swapping mech.exe and OOBs might work in the these limits...that's all I can say
- Gallo Rojo
- Posts: 701
- Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Argentina
Once I posted a few SPWAW tips and tricks, you might want to compress one of your installations to conserve space. Here's the link: (scroll down)
showthread.php?s=&threadid=18048
showthread.php?s=&threadid=18048
- Gallo Rojo
- Posts: 701
- Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Argentina
great info. thanksOriginally posted by Svennemir
Once I posted a few SPWAW tips and tricks, you might want to compress one of your installations to conserve space. Here's the link: (scroll down)
showthread.php?s=&threadid=18048
The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end
-
Commander Klank
- Posts: 218
- Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Killleen, Texas
- Contact:
Biggest differnce in H2H and 7.1 is the fact that you get no damage and casulty reports on enemy units you fire on. In a way this is more realistic; no more recon by artillery and a few other "gaming tricks" you could do by shooting at hexes.
The OOBs are way differnt as well with the German one having completly German name which tends to drive German players nuts at first.....LOL:D
I also suspect the ratings of most of the units has been tuned up a bit more than 7.1. It also seems the accurcy of some units have been affected; notably the Germans.
But that's just my 2 cents worth
The OOBs are way differnt as well with the German one having completly German name which tends to drive German players nuts at first.....LOL:D
I also suspect the ratings of most of the units has been tuned up a bit more than 7.1. It also seems the accurcy of some units have been affected; notably the Germans.
But that's just my 2 cents worth
Commander Klank




-
Panzer Leo
- Posts: 403
- Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 9:00 pm
- Location: Braunschweig/Germany
The "tuned up" effect you noticed is probably the increase of the experience level of many nations by 5 and the increased rate of fire for tank combat in general (tank guns, AT guns and the like).Originally posted by Commander Klank
I also suspect the ratings of most of the units has been tuned up a bit more than 7.1. It also seems the accurcy of some units have been affected; notably the Germans.
But that's just my 2 cents worth![]()
Accuracy ratings have not been touched (except if whole weapon categories got reworked like Inf-AT) - they were usually excellent researched in v7.1 and work fine
The reasons why things "feel" different are often many and it's quite interesting to see how people realize certain changes in the game and what values influence this "feeling"...
H2H is sounding better and better. One feature mentioned here that is worth a lot to me is the lack of detailed damage reports. I always thought it strange that I would know that I hit an enemy in the finger at 1000 yards! :rolleyes:
It looks like still another installation of SPWAW will be added to my system soon.
It looks like still another installation of SPWAW will be added to my system soon.
- Gallo Rojo
- Posts: 701
- Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Argentina
To PzLeo: equipment prices in H2H
Cheers Panzer Leo!
I just finished to download and install both H2H and the patch … I have not played yet, just look into the encyclopedia and OOBs.
I look like you have done a hard work on it! Congratulations!
Just a couple of questions:
What criteria did you use to put prices (I mean in purchase points) to the equipment?
Soviet equipment seems to be much cheaper than in v7.1 … is that because is worst in H2H version o to reflect an historical fact? Something that surprised me was that T-35/85 is cheaper than Pz-IVh although the Soviet tank was superior.
I notice that on 1944 SS medium tanks are cheaper than regular German Army ones (although they are elite), is this a bug?
Thanks you
Gallo Rojo
I just finished to download and install both H2H and the patch … I have not played yet, just look into the encyclopedia and OOBs.
I look like you have done a hard work on it! Congratulations!
Just a couple of questions:
What criteria did you use to put prices (I mean in purchase points) to the equipment?
Soviet equipment seems to be much cheaper than in v7.1 … is that because is worst in H2H version o to reflect an historical fact? Something that surprised me was that T-35/85 is cheaper than Pz-IVh although the Soviet tank was superior.
I notice that on 1944 SS medium tanks are cheaper than regular German Army ones (although they are elite), is this a bug?
Thanks you
Gallo Rojo
The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end
-
Panzer Leo
- Posts: 403
- Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 9:00 pm
- Location: Braunschweig/Germany
Re: To PzLeo: equipment prices in H2H
The prices: v7.1 was done with the "formulae" and I used it as sort of guideline...but this formulae had some weak spots and handled whole groups of units in an I think unrealistic way (AA guns and trucks are two examples where 7.1 and H2H costs differ a lot).Originally posted by Gallo Rojo
Cheers Panzer Leo!
I just finished to download and install both H2H and the patch … I have not played yet, just look into the encyclopedia and OOBs.
I look like you have done a hard work on it! Congratulations!
Just a couple of questions:
What criteria did you use to put prices (I mean in purchase points) to the equipment?
Soviet equipment seems to be much cheaper than in v7.1 … is that because is worst in H2H version o to reflect an historical fact? Something that surprised me was that T-35/85 is cheaper than Pz-IVh although the Soviet tank was superior.
I notice that on 1944 SS medium tanks are cheaper than regular German Army ones (although they are elite), is this a bug?
Thanks you
Gallo Rojo
You're right, that I also used costs to work in historical setups. I think it was Svennemir who came up with the idea of putting rarity and costs into a relation - it is only on some units, but of these a few are quite important. The T-34 is one of these...the Russians get simply "awarded" for producing that many T-34s and get it at a better price...this (as I said there're other units, too) is to "lure" players into historical battle setups...if you do not buy T-34s as a Russian, but rather rare models (let's say a KV-85 or so), you do not only pay for the technical difference (the way the formulae works), but also you don't get the bonus of the mass product (therefore you "pay" additionally for going with something extraordinary).
There's also a big difference in the T-34 family. If you go with a "standard" model, you get the bonus - but if you want the rather rare beefed up versions like T-34E, you will notice, that the difference in costs is more then just the armor makes up for...
Because of this reasons, the Germans ofcourse don't get a bonus for their tanks and this can have the result of Russians getting the better tank for less costs...but they loose on other values, though
It depends on the nation on what or if at all they got a bonus - Germany has extremely expensive infantry, e.g. and the Bulgarians get it almost for free...there can be big differences...
Ehhhmmm...the SS tanks can't be cheaper - they are the same units and the bonus for elite is automatically applied - could you have mixed it up there ?
-
David Lehmann
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: France
H2H !!!
Hello,
I've just downloaded and tried the H2H mod ... in one word : great ! I like it ! The OB are more realistic in their construction, especially for the germans ... sad that the Fw190 and the amphibian units (schwimmwagen, Tauchpanzer) have dissapeared.
David
I've just downloaded and tried the H2H mod ... in one word : great ! I like it ! The OB are more realistic in their construction, especially for the germans ... sad that the Fw190 and the amphibian units (schwimmwagen, Tauchpanzer) have dissapeared.
David
"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing in the tempting place."
-
Panzer Leo
- Posts: 403
- Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 9:00 pm
- Location: Braunschweig/Germany
Re: H2H !!!
Glad you like itOriginally posted by David Lehmann
Hello,
I've just downloaded and tried the H2H mod ... in one word : great ! I like it ! The OB are more realistic in their construction, especially for the germans ... sad that the Fw190 and the amphibian units (schwimmwagen, Tauchpanzer) have dissapeared.
David
The FW190 is in Norway from 1941 on and normally purchaseable...Tauchpanzer are in the Czech, but only for scenario design
have fun...
- Gallo Rojo
- Posts: 701
- Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Argentina
Re: Re: To PzLeo: equipment prices in H2H
You're right. My mistake.Originally posted by Panzer Leo
Ehhhmmm...the SS tanks can't be cheaper - they are the same units and the bonus for elite is automatically applied - could you have mixed it up there ?
I took a closer look to your version and I come with new questions
1) Russian T-34 tanks don't have APCR ammo until september. Why is this? Is is historicaly accurate? ... First T-34 with APCR ammo in H2H is a T-34m43 model that appears in september... is it a m43 different from the other m43? (I mean, in other aspects appart from havin APCR ammo. I know that there were many variations withing the "standar" m43 (the one that Germans called "MikyMouse", but is this "september T-34m43" one of those variants?)
2) I find a mistake in one of your pictures in Soviet OOB. Is one of the SU-85 (you have two SU-85, isn't it?). Well, the unit is a SU-85 but the picture corresponds to a SU-100. Picture I'm talking about is one where you can see a column (actually you picture only shows two vehicles) of SU rolling at one snowed road. The SU ahead has one crew man (the commander, I guess) stand out one of the hatches. Well, as far as I now, this is not a SU-85, is a SU-100 in east prussia. Tank number is "281". If you look carefully you may see the this round little turret on the right side of the vehicle (this turret that both T-34/85 and SU-100). I really know the unit, in fact, I build this tank in 1/35 scale
3) According with penetration tables in your version, soviet 72.6mm gun can only penetrate 78mm of armour plate at 10 hex or less ... But I have been done some test and T-34/76 actually can take a Tiger (82mm armour plate on rear and side) at 6-5 hex of distance ... and I think that I'm not all killing shots were "vulnerable location hits" ... I think that is historically acurate that a T-34/76 could take a Tiger at 300 mts by rear or side ... but I don't understadn why according to the penetration tables this is not possible (althougth it is -both in the game as was possible in the reality)
I like very much your version
Best
Gallo
- Attachments
-
- su-100_crew.jpg (52.83 KiB) Viewed 692 times
The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end


