Port Moresby (To take or ignore)

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

User avatar
SwampYankee68
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 9:37 am
Location: Connecticut, U.S.

Post by SwampYankee68 »

Yes, a very interesting game. Tough to get into at first, but I am SO glad I hung with it. I'm not just saying that because things have stabilized in my game, either. I was getting into it before he tried to invade. You have to assume a different mind frame when playing the Japanese.
"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"
User avatar
Oleg Mastruko
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

Re: Buna

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Originally posted by Swamp_Yankee
What are the groups thoughts about landing troops at Buna nd marching then to an attack on PM?

BTW, Pasternakski, after our last discussion, my opponent attempted a landing on Lunga. In the first day I decimated his aircover, the second I sank Wasp and Saratoga, and for the next few days I pounded his landing ships from the air with impunity. Today. I killed or captured ALL OF his (at least) landing force of 15,000 troops. None left.

My carriers S and Z came through totally unscathed.

I'm now looking at my options for a landing. I have the whole 2nd Division and partrs of the Yazawa Bgde to use, unless I wait a month for another division to show. (It is late Aug, year one)
If I understand it right - you want to take PM with whole 2nd div. and Yazawa brigade? If you go for direct sea-borne invasion, I'd say your chances are 55:45 (in your favor), if you want to land them at Buna and march overlands - forget it. It is viable option, but in my opinion you'll need two full infantry divisions (6 regiments, and supporting troops), becasuse of the fatigue they'll accumulate when marching.

What sounds worrying is the late August date. I assume Allied player might have reinforced PM with something more than 3 Aus brigades originally earmarked for New Guinea.

Buna march is one of my favorite options, but you have to really "feel" your opponent for that. There are some players who don't do much patrolling and/or are less agressive when it comes to attacking shipping. If so - go for Buna, unload sh*t load of troops and march overland.

OTOH, if you play against a aggressive hell's bells cowboy who sends bombers at 200 ft at each and every ship he sees, bite the bullet, and go for one-time slaughter called direct invasion (as I said, I believe you should be able to take PM with less troops then,as they are going to be less fatigued - those that survive to the beaches, that is)

O.
User avatar
SwampYankee68
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 9:37 am
Location: Connecticut, U.S.

Post by SwampYankee68 »

Good thoughts. This is like having a "Command Staff Meeting". You guys are great!
"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"
Bax
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2002 8:42 pm
Location: Rochester, MN

Post by Bax »

Hey guys!

I've been playing scenario 17 as the Japanese, and I decided to go hell-bent-for-sushi and try to take PM ASAP. I loaded up every AP I had in turn one, and filled them with assault troops and combat engineers, and set them on a course for PM.

By the time they were headed toward PM, I had my task force of Shokaku, Zuikaku and Shoho steaming down towards Gili-Gili. At my battle of the Coral Sea, I was able to sink both Lexington and Yorktown without loss, and that cleared the way for me. I then proceeded to sink every re-supply TF that the AI tried to send to PM. I capped PM with a squad of A6M2's from Lae, so those C-47's coming in with supply from Australia kept getting intercepted.

I unrelentingly pounded PM with my Betties and Nells from Rabaul, and this allowed me to land 24,000 troops by late June. My heroic Nipponese troops were well-supplied thanks to the efforts of the merchant fleet, and after one shock attack and three rounds of deliberate attack, PM fell into my hands like ripe fruit. When I looked at the airfield at PM, I discovered my Betties and Nells had done over 77 damage to the runways.

Oh yes, did I fail to mention that I also took Gili-Gili and Lunga at the sametime? Now it's late July, Lunga is a size 4 airbase, equipped with 3 squadrons of Nells, one squadron of Vals, three squadrons of A6M's. PM is a size 5 airbase with 3 squadrons of Betties and two squadrons of A6M's. Tulagi and Gili-Gili are growing well, I've got 8 CV's roaming the seas sinking American vessels, and the Yamato and Nagato have been kicking American surface fanny and taking haiku's.

Yes, life if good at the moment against the old UV AI. What to do next....hmm....
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

Post by Raverdave »

Originally posted by Bax


Yes, life if good at the moment against the old UV AI. What to do next....hmm....

Try the same tactic against a PBEM, then you will know how good life really is;)
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Shot2Pieces
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:40 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by Shot2Pieces »

It is plenty possible to take Moresby by the end of May (best May 26 so far) versus AI in scenario 17 (as long as the carrier battle goes well) without losing a single ship, but since I haven't yet tried the method in PBEM (or PBEM at all actually) I'll keep it under my hat for now :D

[edit] Yes, thinking about it I reckon I'd be spanked badly. Oh well.
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

Post by Raverdave »

Originally posted by Shot2Pieces
It is plenty possible to take Moresby by the end of May (best May 26 so far) versus AI in scenario 17 (as long as the carrier battle goes well) without losing a single ship, but since I haven't yet tried the method in PBEM (or PBEM at all actually) I'll keep it under my hat for now :D

[edit] Yes, thinking about it I reckon I'd be spanked badly. Oh well.

More than happy to give you a slapping.........whenever you are ready:)
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”