ORIGINAL: John Lansford
The entrance to Pearl Harbor was probably one of the most heavily defended ports in the entire world by 1941. Mines, searchlights, patrol craft, CD guns of all sizes and locations, plus nets and obstructions, all designed to prohibit unwanted entry of any ship. I doubt that a liner would get anywhere near the entrance before being hailed by a patrolling ship, and if it ignored the hail it would then have to brave the CD guns, escorts and mines. I don't see it happening.
I don't know about surface ships or coastal guns shooting in peacetime at a liner that, for example, is signalling that is in distress, is flying the Argentinian flag or has a big red cross painted on the side. Any of these would probably buy the 10-20 mins of confusion needed to move in. Command chain didn't work at all in Dec 7, and I seriously doubt that it would have worked in that case -- command chain didn't believe in the reports of the incoming aircraft or the USS Ward's attack.
But you have a great point there about the minefield; from the San Francisco minefield plans, it is clear that it was very extensive and very difficult to avoid, and once the mines are armed I guess they will explode on contact -- thereby avoiding the entire decision making difficulties. With decision making out of the way, that liner would be smoke.
That, of course, provided that the minefield was armed on Dec 7 -- which I have no clue about.
Thanks,
fbs