Is the manual available to download for evaluation?
Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid
Is the manual available to download for evaluation?
I asked this in another thread, but the thread subject didn't really lend itself to ask the question, so I'm asking it again...
Is it possible, or can it be made possible, to download a copy of the manual to help my decision as I evaluate purchasing UV? (I'm presuming the manual isn't a copyrighted secret)
Is it possible, or can it be made possible, to download a copy of the manual to help my decision as I evaluate purchasing UV? (I'm presuming the manual isn't a copyrighted secret)
Sorry, Andrew.
Matrix has stated that they will not make the manual available for a download direct from them. You will have to purchase the game or many have pleaded on these boards to have someone send them a zipped copy via email. Your best bet would be to try that route.
I would strongly recommend purchasing the game though. It's a great and addicting game if you enjoy wargames or have an interest in WWII or the South Pacific Theatre!
The manual just can't reflect the fun, and sheer pleasure this game can be.
Matrix has stated that they will not make the manual available for a download direct from them. You will have to purchase the game or many have pleaded on these boards to have someone send them a zipped copy via email. Your best bet would be to try that route.
I would strongly recommend purchasing the game though. It's a great and addicting game if you enjoy wargames or have an interest in WWII or the South Pacific Theatre!
The manual just can't reflect the fun, and sheer pleasure this game can be.
WW2'er
"That [state] which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." — Thucydides, 'The Peloponnesian Wars'
"That [state] which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." — Thucydides, 'The Peloponnesian Wars'
Matrix asked that we refrain from emailing the manual around.
I don't recall the reason they gave but I'll respect their request.
I'd recommend the game. It's amazing and for the amount of time I've spent playing it well worth the price.
I don't recall the reason they gave but I'll respect their request.
I'd recommend the game. It's amazing and for the amount of time I've spent playing it well worth the price.
If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom
Mojo's Mom
- pasternakski
- Posts: 5567
- Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm
I must have missed this request. I have offered to zip and send a copy to Andrew, and I don't see any harm in it. I am trying to encourage a potential customer to purchase this game and not for entirely altruistic reasons.Originally posted by Mojo
Matrix asked that we refrain from emailing the manual around.
I don't recall the reason they gave but I'll respect their request.
I'd recommend the game. It's amazing and for the amount of time I've spent playing it well worth the price.
I have a strong interest in Matrix/2by3 being successful, because I want them to keep producing games that I find to be satisfying and entertaining to play.
Yoo-Hoo! Mr. Moderator! If you don't want me to do this, tell me so, okay? I respect Matrix/2by3 enough that I will comply with their wishes - even if it may cost them a sale ...
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
I'm with you on this.Originally posted by pasternakski
I must have missed this request. I have offered to zip and send a copy to Andrew, and I don't see any harm in it. I am trying to encourage a potential customer to purchase this game and not for entirely altruistic reasons.
I have a strong interest in Matrix/2by3 being successful, because I want them to keep producing games that I find to be satisfying and entertaining to play.
Yoo-Hoo! Mr. Moderator! If you don't want me to do this, tell me so, okay? I respect Matrix/2by3 enough that I will comply with their wishes - even if it may cost them a sale ...
I do remember when the game first came out people who were tracking their copies moving by UPS boat were begging for people who had opted for overnight delivery to email them the manual so they would be ready to play the instant they got the game.
Somebody (David or Ross maybe) asked that we not do this. Now I don't know if this was on the advice of their legal folks, once you condone violating copyright you're on a slippery slope I bet, or for some other reason I don't know.
Ever since then I have hardened my heart to the pleas of people considering buying the game who want a copy of the manual;)
Personally I don't see the harm but out of respect to Matrix and the support they give us if they don't want me to email the manual I won't.
If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom
Mojo's Mom
- pasternakski
- Posts: 5567
- Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm
Well, whatever. I will do what Matrix/2by3 want on this.Originally posted by Mojo
Somebody (David or Ross maybe) asked that we not do this. Now I don't know if this was on the advice of their legal folks, once you condone violating copyright you're on a slippery slope I bet, or for some other reason I don't know.
If their legal eagles advised them that buyers of the game e-mailing the manual to people who have not bought it is a violation of copyright, they have gotten good advice ... FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!
Hire some reputable intellectual property lawyers to advise you, if the ones you have now don't understand the legal doctrines involved better than this.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
- UndercoverNotChickenSalad
- Posts: 344
- Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Denial Aisle
- Contact:
- pasternakski
- Posts: 5567
- Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm
Now, that makes sense. Naive little b**** that I am, I assume that everyone's motives are pure.Originally posted by UndercoverNotChickenSalad
Its prolly because ppl download the game VIA IRC or something and can't figure out how to play. First time I saw a guy request manual I assumed he was running a pirated version.
BTW, I just saw the first copy of UV for sale on eBay this morning. It has several days to run, but the top bid so far is fifteen bucks. The seller says it contains the "CD, box, and manual."
Hmm...
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
I can understand this at least to some extent, but if people were pirating UV, why wouldn't they pirate a copy of the manual at the same time? ie. wouldn't the game and manual come together? Or if someone was copying the CD, the manual would be included anyway. I am strongly against piracy of all forms, but I just can't see how making the manual available is aiding piracy in any way.Originally posted by UndercoverNotChickenSalad
Its prolly because ppl download the game VIA IRC or something and can't figure out how to play. First time I saw a guy request manual I assumed he was running a pirated version.
So in that light, I can't see what would be stopping Matrix from releasing the manual... ie. make the manual non-copyright. The lack of a demo is rather frustrating... I can live with that, but it would seem to me that the next best thing would be to at least let folks evaluate the documentation to see if it's likely to be the sort of game they're interested in before shelling out US$50.
Andrew,
Trust me and a lot of other experienced computer wargamers, ex-board wargamers and ex-miniatures gamers........BUY THIS GAME. It is worth every penny, sets new standards and is totally addictive. Are you married? Do you have kids? Do you have a job? Do you want to keep them? Maybe these are reasons to think twice, but the game is definitely not a reason to hesitate. Buy it.
Trust me and a lot of other experienced computer wargamers, ex-board wargamers and ex-miniatures gamers........BUY THIS GAME. It is worth every penny, sets new standards and is totally addictive. Are you married? Do you have kids? Do you have a job? Do you want to keep them? Maybe these are reasons to think twice, but the game is definitely not a reason to hesitate. Buy it.
Battleaxe Rules!
I just purchased the game last week and havent really had much of a chance to really sit down and play it until last night. Let me first say that I have been waiting for a game like this my whole life. I am glad to say that I am instantly hooked and cant wait to get home from work and play it again!
Just like you I kind of went into it blindly and could only really see screenshots, etc, of the game, but not any real in-depth review of how it works. I figured that I have blown $50 on alot of junk, so why not? Now that I have it, I am undenyably overwhelmed at all the game has to offer. I'm hoping that this game will expand into a full Pacific Theater game.
Just like you I kind of went into it blindly and could only really see screenshots, etc, of the game, but not any real in-depth review of how it works. I figured that I have blown $50 on alot of junk, so why not? Now that I have it, I am undenyably overwhelmed at all the game has to offer. I'm hoping that this game will expand into a full Pacific Theater game.
- pasternakski
- Posts: 5567
- Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm
Ask and ye shall receive. War in the Pacific, which expands the UV engine to cover the entire conflict, is due out on March 1, 2003. Check out the Matrix Website and the WITP forum here for more details and discussion.Originally posted by swass
I just purchased the game last week and havent really had much of a chance to really sit down and play it until last night. Let me first say that I have been waiting for a game like this my whole life. I am glad to say that I am instantly hooked and cant wait to get home from work and play it again!
Just like you I kind of went into it blindly and could only really see screenshots, etc, of the game, but not any real in-depth review of how it works. I figured that I have blown $50 on alot of junk, so why not? Now that I have it, I am undenyably overwhelmed at all the game has to offer. I'm hoping that this game will expand into a full Pacific Theater game.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
BUY THIS GAME
HELLO FRIENDS,
YES ANDREW IT´S A VERY GOOD GAME. YOU WILL NOT BE DISSA. ONE OF THE BEST COMPUTER GAMES I´VE GAMED.
FROM SPAIN WITH SUN
YES ANDREW IT´S A VERY GOOD GAME. YOU WILL NOT BE DISSA. ONE OF THE BEST COMPUTER GAMES I´VE GAMED.
FROM SPAIN WITH SUN


