The quality of this game!

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

IanLister
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2002 1:56 am
Location: Pennine Hills, Northern England, UK

The quality of this game!

Post by IanLister »

I don't know about the rest of you, but my usual experience with a game is that I play it loads for about 2 weeks, then it stays on the shelf. Not this time.
I pre-ordered UV 3 weeks before it came out, and must have been one of the first in Europe to get it. Since then I've averaged about 3 hours a day playing, including 3 week trip round Europe playing on a laptop. Bored? You must be joking. Each patch makes the game better to play, simply because it becomes more like real operational warfare than any other game comes close to. TOAW comes second, but it's light years away in my opinion, and no other game I've played comes close after 20 years of computer games..
I've just finished a 4 hour battle spread over 3 days of game time. Scenario 15, October 42, and the USN desperately trying to hold a newly captured henderson Field. In the first real battle of what had been so far a rather conservative campaign, what should appear but 11 Japanese carriers spread over 5 TFs in the same hex!:eek: :eek: They arrived 3 hexes from Lunga just as my 2 carrier TFs, each with 3 carriers, sailed in from the opposite end of Ironbottom Sound, close in to Lunga to benefit from LBA cap.
There followed 3 days of carrier battles beginning with an attack by 170 Jap bombers escorted by 90 Zeros opposed by 175 F4Fs. You may have seen this scale of fighting before in the game, but I hadn't. No shortcutting the combat animations, just 4 hours of me sat screaming at the screen and jumping out of my chair every time one enemy plane went down.
The score after 3 days:
US: Enterprise undamaged (talk about realism...it's weird)
Wasp and Saratoga beached at Lunga with 70 points each of flotation damage
Yorktown, Lexington and Hornet operational but hurt.
IJN: Junyo, Shokaku, Akagi and Zuikaku sunk, Kaga, Soryu, Hiryu severely damaged, Hiyo and Zuiho hurt, Shoho and Ryujo apparently OK.

The highlight: watching Washington and North Carolina sail up the Slot in daylight under a heavy CAP to sink the damaged Akagi and Junyo with 16 inch shells.:D
Being a loyal Englishman, what I want now is the Mediterranean campaign, but I suppose WITP will do in the meantime.
Out of interest, my uncle was an RAF engine fitter seconded to the RAAF in 1942: he spent 2 years fixing Beaufighter engines on bases in New Guinea and the islands off Gili Gili.

Well done Matrix, and thank you.
Battleaxe Rules!
Matt Erickson
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 4:22 am
Location: santa barbra, calif

Post by Matt Erickson »

Strange that I have purchased some pretty good games recently mafia,mideval total war...and these games just sit on my hard drive collecting electrons this is by far the best of them as all the reviews say very addictive although in mafias defense ( it is a dam fun game) I just dont have the processing power at the moment I'll get to it eventually thou...but meanwhile I just started my first pbem game and its gonna be a blast!:cool:
Black Cat
Posts: 604
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:46 pm

Yep

Post by Black Cat »

Greetings Ian, welcome Aboard.

I`m addicted to UV as well.



Sometimes I just enjoy watching the AI go through it`s paces, trying to figure how it`s basing it`s action/responses to your moves.

One conclusion I`ve reached is that the Rcon Routines, both The Enemy & Friendly AI`s, is very important, and much of it`s response both in movement and the Combat results are influenced by what happens there.

BTW: I love the Beaufighters in the Game, especially at 200 feet with Torps...:D
RayM
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Marlton, NJ USA

Post by RayM »

Many dittos on cheering your forces on. I too have found myself jumping up and down and clapping as the battles unfold in my favor. When they don't go my way, then there is dead silence and me wishing that the combat resolution phase would JUST end.

So far my neighbors (across a common townhouse wall) haven't said anything even though I have often played very, very late.

I have to agree that there are not many games today that can make me react this way.

Ray
User avatar
VI66_slith
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Post by VI66_slith »

If I can add my 2 cents;

I have lied awake in bed for years now after playing AH's 3rd Reich, Flat Top and ASL. 10,000 games of sadly yes, Axis and Allies. Not even giving mention to the 15+ PC games I purchase every year. Dreaming of playing a great wargame.

Well, surfing the net one day (about month and a half ago) I run accross this game. (I never even heard of this Grisby fella prior to this I should mention):confused: Anyway, it looks like my prayers have been answered. I have paid out the but for games like NWN, MOHAA, BF1942 and Sid's Gettysburg and Antietam.

But I'll tell you this, I just ordered the game today but for the last month I've spent more time reading posts here than playing any of them:p I hav'nt mouth watered over a game like this since ASL was due. That was way back when I can't even remember.

Thank you guys very much and Im,

Simply,

Flabberghasted:D
"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton
IanLister
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2002 1:56 am
Location: Pennine Hills, Northern England, UK

Post by IanLister »

You won't be disappointed. When i first got the game I played it nonstop for 27 hours, and have played it every day since, which was back in May/June.
Battleaxe Rules!
User avatar
VI66_slith
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Post by VI66_slith »

Hey there Ian hows it going??

Whats your impression so far? Do you have room to maneuver? Somebody tell me something! I CAN'T WAIT NO MORE!!!!:mad:
"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton
User avatar
Von Rom
Posts: 1631
Joined: Fri May 12, 2000 8:00 am

Post by Von Rom »

I just ordered the game too.

I've been reading so many AARs that I just had to have this game. . .

I'm getting withdrawl symptons already. . .

:p
AndrewN
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:40 am
Location: Geelong, Australia

Thanks

Post by AndrewN »

Just wanted to thank all of you guys out there for helping me evaluate whether or not to buy UV. My order is in the post and I can't hardly wait for it to arrive!
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

Post by pasternakski »

Now, this is the kind of place for me! I love this enthusiasm. It gives me hope that Matrix/2by3 are, indeed, responsible for a rebirth of interest in SERIOUS computer wargames.

After five months of playing UV both against the AI and PBEM, I have to say that I am seriously gruntled.

Just one word of caution, fellas. You're gonna get bucked off this horse a lot of times before you turn it into a cattle pony. I think of myself as a reasonably experienced player, and I still have those "what the heck was that?" moments. I wish that the manual had a more practical, help-the-player orientation (for example, it is sometimes as mysterious as the Qu'ran about very vital weapons systems and how to use them - witness the very brief treatment given to mine warfare), but this is small potatoes.

The solution? Right here among these good ole boys. People like XPav, Spooky, Rowlf, Oleg, and the rest (sorry, it's impossible to be comprehensive with this list, let's just say that I appreciate all of ya) are an incomparable source of practical information (and interesting discussion) about this game. They are incredibly helpful. Many's the time I have read their posts and said, "Jeez, why couldn't I figure that out?" or "Who WAS that masked man?"

The whole thing's the greatest. Just think about what WITP is going to be like ("It's not just a job, it's an adventure...").

And "yeah, yeah, yeah," Ian, as the lads from Liverpool used to sing, I can't wait for this engine to be applied to WWII in the Mediterranean.

Ah, yes. Life is good. Beer helps.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
Matt Erickson
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 4:22 am
Location: santa barbra, calif

Post by Matt Erickson »

This game is entering the realm of civ2,Which I consider the best comp game of all time,the pbem game I'm in is starting to get real intense for me.....I now realise what the japanese were up against. In old board games like battlelines flatop I would just throw my carriers into the fray but now realising that I have to supply my Island outpost's I am much more cautious...because if I lose my carriers I'm doomed:( the supply element makes this game soooo cool and now I'm really getting into the sub element of this game...i am probably going to hold off on buying any computer games forawhile why waste the money.
AndrewN
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:40 am
Location: Geelong, Australia

Post by AndrewN »

Yippee!! My copy has arrived in the post all of about 3 minutes ago!! :cool:
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

Post by pasternakski »

Originally posted by AndrewN
Yippee!! My copy has arrived in the post all of about 3 minutes ago!! :cool:
A moment of silence, please, for Andrew's real life. As the little boy said at the funeral of his goldfish, "He was fun while he lasted."

Go get 'em, Andrew!
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
User avatar
VI66_slith
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Post by VI66_slith »

I have discovered that my copy shipped. I will now retire to my study and silently prepare for the storm that surely blows this way.

:p
"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton
AndrewN
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:40 am
Location: Geelong, Australia

Post by AndrewN »

The first step I'm finding necessary so far first-up is a thorough reading of the rules!!
User avatar
VI66_slith
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Post by VI66_slith »

Hello Admiral Andrew, are you pleased by the game initially? Packaging and soforth. Have you started the tutorial yet?

Regards,

RADM Mann
"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton
AndrewN
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:40 am
Location: Geelong, Australia

Post by AndrewN »

Originally posted by VI66
Hello Admiral Andrew, are you pleased by the game initially? Packaging and soforth. Have you started the tutorial yet?

Regards,

RADM Mann
I think the rank of Admiral will only come many months down the track... I'm just a green Ensign at the moment! :)

The packaging is nice. I knew the manual was on disk, so that was no surprise to me, but on the other hand, I was impressed with the full-colour reference card included inside the case.

I ran through the tutorial quickly... unfortunately, tutorial is not an altogether accurate description since it really only shows you how to establish a few Task Force's and then resolves combat for one turn. A better tutorial might be a custom scenario with only two bases for each side, limited troops and then to be able to play it out to conclusion. This one just gives you a turn and then leaves you without any guidance on where to go next.

Other than that, the overall graphical look is good and the background sound is pleasant. The interface is easy to use and comprehensive. I'll reserve any further judgement till after I've played more... I have two weeks of holidays starting Thursday! :D

Let me know how you get on, VI66, once your copy arrives and your opening impressions.
User avatar
Toro
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: 16 miles southeast of Hell (Michigan, i.e.), US

Post by Toro »

AndrewN, and the rest of you guys just getting this: I recommend playing one of the short games, like Coral Sea, first, since you'll get to poke around with all main aspects of the game, but haven't invested your time in a long-term game. That way, you'll start to learn what to do, what not to do, how to handle supply (I'm still learning that aspect, changing my whole outlook on this as I play PBEM games), etc. And, as the adage goes, you learn by mistakes: best to learn them in a short game.

As others have noted, there's plenty of help/hints here, too. All you need do is ask. There is a bit of a learning curve on this game, but that's to be expected (the closer to reality).

This game is a complete hoot. Happy sailing!
User avatar
Spooky
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:16 am
Location: Froggy Land
Contact:

Post by Spooky »

To all newbies ...

I advise you to download the small Strategy Guide available in my website - it will help you to understand some of the aspects of the game such as ASW ...

Spooky
User avatar
Von Rom
Posts: 1631
Joined: Fri May 12, 2000 8:00 am

Post by Von Rom »

Originally posted by Toro
This game is a complete hoot. Happy sailing!
I'm looking forward to it. I called the store that I ordered the game from, and they still haven't received their latest shipment of it yet. . .

Ack. . .

I also downloaded all the patches and the goodies from Spooky's site.

Are any new mods or scenarios in current production?

Looking forward to the game. . .
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”