Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
ny59giants
Posts: 9902
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by ny59giants »

The 5th Division starts in multiple TF at Samah. If your playing non-historical first turn, you can rearrange them like I did (See 2x2 AAR) into one TF. This division was the spearhead for the invasion of Mersing. 
[center]Image[/center]
User avatar
Grotius
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:34 pm
Location: The Imperial Palace.

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Grotius »

Mike, pardon the intrusion, but after the new patch, I saw much supply and fuel teleport overland from Malaya back to Cam Ranh Bay -- I lost 2/3 of my supply in Malaya, and doubled the supply depot at Cam Ranh Bay. Similar movement of fuel. Are you seeing anything like this post-patch?
Image
User avatar
witpqs
Posts: 26376
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: Argleton

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by witpqs »

Use the supply-draw buttons, they work well and predictably post-patch. Just remember that a base will try to have 3 x the supplies required. So if you want >20k at a base, click on increase until supplies required registers at least ~7k.
User avatar
Grotius
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:34 pm
Location: The Imperial Palace.

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Grotius »

But will I be able to draw supply from Cam Ranh Bay all the way to Malaya? There's no rail connection between Cam Ranh Bay and Saigon, which means I'll lose some supply in the process, even if it does move that far, no?

And I guess we should no longer bother moving any supply from Cam Ranh Bay to Malaya via ship?
Image
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by CapAndGown »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

But will I be able to draw supply from Cam Ranh Bay all the way to Malaya? There's no rail connection between Cam Ranh Bay and Saigon, which means I'll lose some supply in the process, even if it does move that far, no?

And I guess we should no longer bother moving any supply from Cam Ranh Bay to Malaya via ship?

I moved some suppy to Rangoon from Singapore by ship. After a few turns, it was all back in Singapore. [8|] What a waste of time!
User avatar
Grotius
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:34 pm
Location: The Imperial Palace.

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Grotius »

Exactly! In my case, it's all the more annoying because I lost more than a couple supply-ships to enemy submarines.

So have you been able to move supply up to Rangoon overland, instead? Using the supply-request buttons?
Image
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16729
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

Geez, I turn my back and go off to a school and look what the discussion turns to.  I havn't noticed that problem (yet) but I'm also not as far along as many of you.  Still gotta take Rangoon....
 
I'm here through the week so no new turns but I do have a few to update though....
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16729
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

5 Feb 42
 
Reinforcement:  I-28 - She'll go to the 5th Fleet area to support the 6 I class subs (without Glen capability).
 
Java
 
Ted sent a couple of TFs to contest the Kalidjati bridgehead.  First, the CL Summatra made an appearance and found the support force of 4 BB and 4 DD.  For no damage to my forces, she took a 14, 6 & 5" shell and moved off, on fire and heavily damaged.  Next came 6 Dutch MTBs.  They found the transport TF but withdrew without firing a shot.  Next they found the other support force of 4 CA and 4 DD.  All 6 were obliterated for no damage to my ships.
 
Malaya, Philippines & Palembang
 
Nothing new to report.
 
SE Fleet
 
An RO class sub put 23 shells into an xAKL.  Not sure why she didn't use any torps.  She had a full load.
 
 
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16729
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

6 Feb 42
 
Reinforcement:  28 JNAF AF Unit for Southern Army at Tokyo
 
Java
 
The DD Pillsbury made an appearance at Kalidjati and was received by 4 CA and 4DD.  She too an 8 & 5" hit and withdrew, badly damaged and on fire.  I finally landed some air support so now there are 18 Zeros flying air cover for tomorrow.  He's been harassing my troops with obsolete bombers.
 
I took Bandoeng, cutting Java in two.  The industry there is M 1(1), R 20(0) and LI 20(0).
 
Palembang
 
Nothing new to report.
 
Malaya
 
I assaulted Singapore.  I made headway, but at a cost.  I lost 6242 troops for 2828 Allied losses, but I did reduce the fort level from 4 to 3.  More bombing for the next few days....
 
Philippines
 
A assaulted Bataan as well.  Again, I made headway but at a cost here too.  I lost 4386 troops for 1775 Allied losses but reduced the fort level from 3 to 2.
 
Burma
 
I took Bassein (west of Rangoon) by air assault.  Now Rangoon is totally isolated.  The question is, do I have enough force to take Rangoon?
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16729
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

7 Feb 42
 
Reinforcement:  xAK Shinetsu Maru (Std-C) - This brings my Std Series to 18x -C and 1x -D.  They will all become TKs in Jun 42.
 
Burma
 
The cav regiment that has been chasing the British BF south along the coast caught up with them again, this time 1 hex SW of Tavoy.  The attack killed another 62 and pushed them south yet again.  When will this unit pack it in?
 
SE Fleet
 
The 4 DIvision is headed for the SRA but made a short stop to take Horn Island.  Now I control that narrow point, which I'll mine and garrison.
 
Elsewhere, nothing new to report.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Chickenboy »

Hi Mike,

It's been several days since you've indicated you'd stop shipping resources from Kyushu to Honshu and let the railroad do its work. Verdict?
Image
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16729
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

I stopped on 1 Feb 42.  I'm going to let the test continue until 10 Feb 42.  I'm out of town on business and don't have access to AE until Saturday.  I'll let you know then. [:D]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mynok
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:12 am
Contact:

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mynok »


What drug are you taking to ease the shakes? [:'(]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
User avatar
BrucePowers
Posts: 12090
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by BrucePowers »

[:D]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16729
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

It's tough, Mynok.  All I can do is look at the spreadsheets I brought with me.  I did bring a calculator so I can plan.
 
By the way, February is the month I plan on taking a good chunk of the SRA.  Here's my goal:
 
Tarakan & Balikpapan with the 20 Division, which is just arriving at Babeldaob.  That should happen shortly.  Then the 20 Division will reinforce Java.
 
The Java force (reinforced by 4 Division coming from Horn Island) will move on clearing the north end, to include Batavia.
 
I'll take the small bases of Singkep, Tobali, Boela and Babo with minor infantry units.
 
The 3 SNLFs from Ambon are moving on Kendari and Makassar (for the level 4 airfields).
 
That's all easy stuff (with the possible exception of Batavia).
 
If Singapore falls in the next 10-14 days, then I'll reinforce Burma with at least one division (as well as support units).  I should be able to take Rangoon and Magwe.
 
Additional forces from Singapore will move on Palembang and Djambi.  I hope to take these by the end of Feb 42, but it all depends on Singapore.
 
I'd also like to clear out Bataan, but we'll see about that.  Should that fall, I'll take those forces and clear out Timor.
 
My real concern is Timor.  I don't want Ted to reinforce it.  That's the main reason I want to take Bataan soon.
 
 
Should I accomplish all of the above, here's the infrastructure I could potentially gain:
 
1885 Oil
200 Resources
1710 Refineries
110 HI
160 LI
 
This would produce the following monthly:
 
120k Resources
52.5k Oil
471.7k fuel
62.7k supply
6600 HI
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I'm going to start referring to Mike as Data from "Star Trek" [X(]
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16729
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

I really like numbers. [:D]
 
Ok, last night, sitting in my hotel room, I looked at the different armies in the SRA and figured out a plan to defend the SRA.  Here goes:
 
14 Army - Philippines
 
16 & 48 Divs, 65 Bde, 2x tank reg, 5x art, 6x AA, 2x eng reg.
 
15 Army - Burma
 
33 & 55 Divs, 1x Art
 
16 Army - Java
 
2 & 38 Div, 1x tank, 1x art, 2x AA, 1 eng reg
 
146/56 Div will be reassigned to 25 Army to combine with the remainder of the 56 Div.
 
25 Army - Malaya, Summatra & Pt. Blair
 
IG, 5, 18 & 56(-) Divs, 41 Reg, 3x Tank, 7x Art, 7x AA, 3x Eng Reg
 
Southern Area Army - Borneo, Timor and additional support to other armies
 
4, 20 & 21 Divs, 21 Ind Mixed Bde, 1 Raid Reg, 4 & 124 Reg (broken down into bns), 6x art, 3x AA, 2x eng reg, 4x ship eng, 23x const units, 2x const co, 7x AF BF, 36x AF Bn, 16x AF co
 
Combined Fleet - various bases
 
6x const bn, 9x AF Co, 10x SNLF, 4x Nav Gd, 2x SNLF Co
 
Note that this does not include all reinforcements.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
SqzMyLemon
Posts: 4239
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:18 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Mike,

I've been thinking about defence as well. You seem to be spreading out forces relatively evenly among the regions. I was wondering along the lines of choosing one or two areas to really create a buzzsaw for the Allies when they make an appearance, to try and bloody them, then bog them down. Do you think that's feasible? I ask because you know that old adage "if you try and defend everything, you defend nothing", I can't remember who said that though.

I see holding Java and the Celebes as the key, giving the Japanese a very large concentration of mutually supporting bases. I'd try and deter the Allies from thinking the DEI is the way to go, and possibly force them to commit to the less vital Southeast Pacific route. Luzon becomes important as well to safeguard the northern oil route. Just some thoughts...I'm still mulling over ideas myself.

Smeulders, please disregard this post, I have nothing of the above planned for you [8|]. Shhhhh, I hope he buys that.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
User avatar
Grotius
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:34 pm
Location: The Imperial Palace.

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Grotius »

Interesting defensive plan, Mike. I forget: do you intend to take Darwin or other Aussie bases too?

Also, I'm curious where you'd keep land units in Malaya and Burma. Just Singapore, Bangkok and Rangoon? Or heavy ground defenses at places like Victoria Point, Tavoy, Port Blair? As SqzMyLemon says, there's so much coastline to defend, and only so many units.

Finally, why the units in the Philippines? I guess Manila has a garrison requirement, is that why? He'd have to penetrate some other defenses first before he gets to the Philippines, no?
Image
veji1
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:28 pm

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by veji1 »

It seems that Burma is very lightly defended in your plan.
Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”