Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Post Reply
User avatar
CaptainHuge
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by CaptainHuge »

I know that JTCS is being expanded to include the modern period and that is great, but are there any plans for using the engine to expand into earlier periods like WWI, ACW, Napoleonic, and even earlier? I suppose some engine tweaks might be required to factor in unit cohesion, but from my experience with the game, I think the engine could be adapted for these earlier periods.

Sure there are other games for those periods, but I love the way JTCS plays!
User avatar
Jason Petho
Posts: 17794
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Terrace, BC, Canada
Contact:

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: CaptainHuge

I know that JTCS is being expanded to include the modern period and that is great, but are there any plans for using the engine to expand into earlier periods like WWI, ACW, Napoleonic, and even earlier?

Yes.

Jason Petho
User avatar
berto
Posts: 21461
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2002 1:15 am
Location: metro Chicago, Illinois, USA
Contact:

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

ORIGINAL: CaptainHuge

I know that JTCS is being expanded to include the modern period and that is great, but are there any plans for using the engine to expand into earlier periods like WWI, ACW, Napoleonic, and even earlier?

Yes.

Jason Petho

[X(] [:D]
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
User avatar
Vampir
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 5:58 pm
Location: Poland

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by Vampir »

ORIGINAL: berto

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

ORIGINAL: CaptainHuge

I know that JTCS is being expanded to include the modern period and that is great, but are there any plans for using the engine to expand into earlier periods like WWI, ACW, Napoleonic, and even earlier?

Yes.

Jason Petho

[X(] [:D]
OOOUUU YEEAAAAHHH !!!! [:D]
Yes! Jason to make it! [&o][&o][&o]
dudalb_slith
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:26 am

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by dudalb_slith »

Jason, how are you go handle formation issues when you get into 18th and 19th Century? THe JTCS system as it stands is NOT going to give an accurate portrayal. To be halfway accurate, the player is going to have to decide on which formation, Line,Column, Skirmishers,etc his troops will adapt. As much as I like the JTCS system for 20th century combat, unless some drastic modifications are done I can't see it working at a halfway realistic level for Earlier periods. The amount of work you will have to do in modifications will be a lOT more then whay you had to do with the Modern Combat level.
User avatar
Jason Petho
Posts: 17794
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Terrace, BC, Canada
Contact:

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: dudalb

Jason, how are you go handle formation issues when you get into 18th and 19th Century? THe JTCS system as it stands is NOT going to give an accurate portrayal. To be halfway accurate, the player is going to have to decide on which formation, Line,Column, Skirmishers,etc his troops will adapt. As much as I like the JTCS system for 20th century combat, unless some drastic modifications are done I can't see it working at a halfway realistic level for Earlier periods. The amount of work you will have to do in modifications will be a lOT more then whay you had to do with the Modern Combat level.

Yes, of course drastic modifications will be required.

Just saying the plans are there to adopt to those older wars/conflicts. How and when we get there has yet to be decided.

Jason Petho
dudalb_slith
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:26 am

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by dudalb_slith »

Thanks. I am a Civil War Reenactor, and deciding which formation to put your troops in is what the tactics of that war...and any Lineal Age War...was all about.
User avatar
Jason Petho
Posts: 17794
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Terrace, BC, Canada
Contact:

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: dudalb

Thanks. I am a Civil War Reenactor, and deciding which formation to put your troops in is what the tactics of that war...and any Lineal Age War...was all about.

Sounds like you are definitely the man to talk to once we start figuring out the mechanics.

Exciting news!!!

Hope you're well
Jason Petho
User avatar
Crossroads
Posts: 18621
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:57 am

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by Crossroads »

Wasn't the old Talonsoft East front engine a revamp done over their similar looking Civil War games?

I am too lazy to google but I recall they had several similar games from the era of the horse and musket? The Great War was not included, IIRC.

Where do you see the next JTCS series game going back in time?
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < v2.10.20 Available Now (Dec 03, 2025)
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 < v3.10.20 Available Now (Dec 03, 2025)
User avatar
V22 Osprey
Posts: 1593
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:07 pm
Location: Corona, CA

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by V22 Osprey »

For regimental facing We could simply use a modified version of the current 'armor facing effects' system already in the game. We would just "trick" the game into thinking they are all armor units. For formations, I'm sure we could borrow the code from Battleground series.

Really, I would just like the Battleground Civil War/Napoleonic Wars games turned to the JTCS system. As they are now, the battleground series is very limited, and there being no OOB nor is there a Map editor really limits the replayability of the games. HPS games are fine, but I don't want to by $500 worth of HPS games just so I could a game of the entire Civil War. I would like a game where it is like JTCS where I can play any Civil/Napoleonic War battle from Scenario menu, a battle generator, and full editors.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
User avatar
CaptainHuge
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by CaptainHuge »

Formations of course would have to be included as the game progressed back in time. Currently, combat effectiveness is affected by base capability, strength points, cover etc. Formation would become another factor, both for offensive and defensive capability. Using different graphics files for the various formations would take up a lot of room I guess, but loaded/unloaded trucks prove it can be done. Can movement rates be changed in game? The mechanic for "carrying" units can be used for the capability to send out skirmishers from a unit (if that was included), but can a restriction be added for only being carried by the parent unit?

It might be asking too much, but another great addition would be some kind of a tool that allowed for user creation of units (choosing graphics, weapons etc). I used to play a game called Age of Rifles that allowed you to design your own units, including uniforms and weapons and that was great! I played some great scenarios for the Napoleonic era and ACW that were made online. I even experimented with some scenarios from the Riel Rebellion, cool stuff! It would be amazing if the JTCS can be adapted with that much flexibility.
User avatar
Jason Petho
Posts: 17794
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Terrace, BC, Canada
Contact:

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by Jason Petho »

Yes, lots to consider indeed.

First, the focus is on Modern Wars: Volume I, volume II and the 1.05 UPDATE. When these are on their way, then we'll focus on the earlier time periods.

Jason Petho
Borst50
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 pm

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by Borst50 »

In my opinion, I do not think the current design of the game engine of JTCS would accomodate a "horse and musket" type game. WWI...yes I can see that. But for earlier periods, i have severe doubts. I had all the Napoleonic battlegrounds from talonsoft years ago.....they were really good...but were missing something.

If you are the type of commander who actually wants to see the individual men in a regiment....changing formations.....firing on the enemy....etc, I would suggest you check out "Take Command 2nd Manassas" from Mad Minute Games. Their game engire actually accomodates this type of game very well. The game is highly moddable, and there are 7 Years War, AWI, and Napoleonic Mods available. Un like JTCS...it is real time and not igoyougo.

However...the game does have problems...it is far from perfect. But it does capture the flavor of the age of linear tactics.

anyway...just my two cents worth.
User avatar
junk2drive
Posts: 12856
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Arizona West Coast

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by junk2drive »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Yes, lots to consider indeed.

First, the focus is on Modern Wars: Volume I, volume II and the 1.05 UPDATE. When these are on their way, then we'll focus on the earlier time periods.

Jason Petho

I was hoping that Rising Sun would get some work before all this other stuff. Ugly step child I guess...
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
scottintacoma
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:15 am

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by scottintacoma »

One of the reason I would like to see JTCS expanded is the igoyougo. I dont like realtime games.

Scott in tAcoma

User avatar
Jason Petho
Posts: 17794
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Terrace, BC, Canada
Contact:

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Yes, lots to consider indeed.

First, the focus is on Modern Wars: Volume I, volume II and the 1.05 UPDATE. When these are on their way, then we'll focus on the earlier time periods.

Jason Petho

I was hoping that Rising Sun would get some work before all this other stuff. Ugly step child I guess...

Hence the 1.05 UPDATE reference.

Rising Sun will be looked at for the 1.05 UPDATE.

Jason Petho
User avatar
junk2drive
Posts: 12856
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Arizona West Coast

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by junk2drive »

I thought WF was going to be fininshed in 1.05 like EF was in 1.04 and RS would have to wait till 1.06
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
User avatar
Jason Petho
Posts: 17794
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Terrace, BC, Canada
Contact:

RE: Expanding JTCS for Earlier Periods

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I thought WF was going to be fininshed in 1.05 like EF was in 1.04 and RS would have to wait till 1.06

WF will be looked at yes, they will all be looked at, including RS.

Jason Petho
Post Reply

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”