Unhandled Exception at Startup
Unhandled Exception at Startup
I'm receiving an unhandled exception at startup of the program. It looks like the program is accessing protected memory of some kind. Included is a DXDiag, and I let the .net and DX9.0C installers check my system during install of the game. Ideas?
- Attachments
-
- DxDiag.txt
- (33.02 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
Here is a screenie of the error.


- Attachments
-
- debug.jpg (223.45 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
- Erik Rutins
- Posts: 39783
- Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
- Location: Vermont, USA
- Contact:
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
Your DxDiag looks fine - some very nice systems around here spec-wise.
This looks like an error with missing windows components. Did you allow the .NET and DirectX installers included with the game to run during the install? If you unchecked them, you should uninstall and run the installer again while leaving them checked.
Also, please install the 1.01 update if you haven't already.
This looks like an error with missing windows components. Did you allow the .NET and DirectX installers included with the game to run during the install? If you unchecked them, you should uninstall and run the installer again while leaving them checked.
Also, please install the 1.01 update if you haven't already.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
Installed the 1.01 update; I allowed the .net and DX installers to run (edit: And I'm glad you liked my specs; I sure paid enough for 'em! Especially on a college students budget...
).
Edit: I'm going to try reinstalling the game, see if that helps.
Edit edit: Looks like .net didn't install the first time around. It's unpacking to install right now... wierd!
Edit: I'm going to try reinstalling the game, see if that helps.
Edit edit: Looks like .net didn't install the first time around. It's unpacking to install right now... wierd!
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
No go; .net appeared to unpack itself, but I never got the option to install it. I'm going to try downloading and installing 3.5 from Microsoft directly.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
- Erik Rutins
- Posts: 39783
- Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
- Location: Vermont, USA
- Contact:
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
Hm, that does sound odd. No error messages either? Let me know if the manual download and install from Microsoft helps. One potentially similar issue, which was also .NET install related, was reported here:
tm.asp?m=2414263
tm.asp?m=2414263
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
I'm sure it'd help... if I could get it to run! O.o
I already rebooted once, I'm going to reboot again. Something seems to be interfering with installing the .net framework. If I have to, I'll go to safe mode and try!
I already rebooted once, I'm going to reboot again. Something seems to be interfering with installing the .net framework. If I have to, I'll go to safe mode and try!
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
I'm getting tired of this forum bugging out and telling me there was an error, then 'eating' my posts!
Anyway, one problem solved, another one crops up... It can't find 'laser.wav', but that file most definitely does exist (I checked, played it in windows media player).
Edit: Solution: since I reinstalled the game, reinstall the damned patch! (Why does it ask for the serial number when I do that?
)
Anyway, one problem solved, another one crops up... It can't find 'laser.wav', but that file most definitely does exist (I checked, played it in windows media player).
Edit: Solution: since I reinstalled the game, reinstall the damned patch! (Why does it ask for the serial number when I do that?
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
Or... not. Still stuck. Any ideas? 
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
- Erik Rutins
- Posts: 39783
- Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
- Location: Vermont, USA
- Contact:
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
Ok, let's start over - you've reinstalled the game and the 1.01 update and gotten past the first issue, but you're now having an issue with a specific "laser.wav" file, is that correct? Or is something else going on now?
Are you running these installations with your anti-virus/security software off, in case it's interfering with something? Did you uninstall fully before reinstalling?
Are you running these installations with your anti-virus/security software off, in case it's interfering with something? Did you uninstall fully before reinstalling?
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
I actually never got past the first issue; I'm right back at it. I thought I fixed it by going into options and turning on the missing .net functions that had been turned off, but that didn't work.
Because I accidentally clicked on 'play' twice, I caused two copies of the game to open, and that somehow locked laser.wav until I forced the system to unlock it. I am turning off real time protection for Microsoft Security Essentials (which should, essentially, turn the program itself off) and closing all task try items. I'll fully uninstall the game, purge the directory, and reinstall from scratch, with 1.01.
Because I accidentally clicked on 'play' twice, I caused two copies of the game to open, and that somehow locked laser.wav until I forced the system to unlock it. I am turning off real time protection for Microsoft Security Essentials (which should, essentially, turn the program itself off) and closing all task try items. I'll fully uninstall the game, purge the directory, and reinstall from scratch, with 1.01.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
- Erik Rutins
- Posts: 39783
- Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
- Location: Vermont, USA
- Contact:
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
Ok, so your .NET was turned off as well? I would definitely give a try at reinstalling now that you turned it back on. Let's try this to make sure we don't have to do this more than one more time:
1. Make sure .NET is on 2. Uninstall the game completely 3. Reboot 4. Turn off any anti-virus/security software 5. Reinstall the game and apply the 1.01 update, allowing .NET and DirectX to install 6. Reboot 7. Turn off any anti-virus/security software that may have turned itself back on 8. Launch the game
Sorry for the extra hassle, but if you follow those steps and it still has a problem we can at least rule out some possibilities.
1. Make sure .NET is on 2. Uninstall the game completely 3. Reboot 4. Turn off any anti-virus/security software 5. Reinstall the game and apply the 1.01 update, allowing .NET and DirectX to install 6. Reboot 7. Turn off any anti-virus/security software that may have turned itself back on 8. Launch the game
Sorry for the extra hassle, but if you follow those steps and it still has a problem we can at least rule out some possibilities.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
The .net was only partially turned off.
Also, the unpacking but not installing thing was a false lead; the message '.net complete' flashed by very quickly on this install, I suspect I just wasn't watching closely enough last time. I'm already part way through this install/patch process; if this install and patch (with everything turned off) doesn't work, I'll include the extra reboot cycles you asked for.
And no problem about the 'hassle'; I'm a programmer myself (still in college), I understand the need to isolate variables for debugging.
Also, the unpacking but not installing thing was a false lead; the message '.net complete' flashed by very quickly on this install, I suspect I just wasn't watching closely enough last time. I'm already part way through this install/patch process; if this install and patch (with everything turned off) doesn't work, I'll include the extra reboot cycles you asked for.
And no problem about the 'hassle'; I'm a programmer myself (still in college), I understand the need to isolate variables for debugging.
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
It worked! I dont' know what did it -- possibly the fact that this time I nuked the install directory during the uninstall process, or possibly microsoft security essentials didn't turn itself completely off when I told it to the first time around -- but I have it working now. Now, to see what happens when I turn all my software back 'on' and try and run it!
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
Confirmed as fixed. I'm not sure what broke it in the first place, (I'm willing to bet I didn't shut down Microsoft Security Essentials properly; possibly it requires a reboot to actually stop it's real time protection mode), but it works now. Thank you!
There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
- VarekRaith
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:39 pm
- Location: Manassas, Virginia
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
.NET can be a real pain in the you know what to install sometimes... 

- Erik Rutins
- Posts: 39783
- Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
- Location: Vermont, USA
- Contact:
RE: Unhandled Exception at Startup
Excellent, glad to hear it's working now!
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.


