cap_and_gown(j) v witpqs(a) - no witpqs
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
RE: More Radar
Speaking of LBA i dont think its that strong , but when mixed with subs and raider Surface forces it will be quite effective.
Underdog Fanboy
- CapAndGown
- Posts: 3078
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Virginia, USA
RE: More Radar
ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
The Mavis gets radar, but not until the device becomes active, right? ... sometime in '44? Not aware that it happens right away. If it does, I will keep Mavis as well.
You are right. The radar device in the plane data is greyed out. So it is not available yet. Very disappointing. I will continue building the Mavis H6K5 anyway.
Curious about this. I like the Tojo, but the range of the Oscar is so good for sweeps. Have you thought about that? How will you handle sweeps without the Oscar?
I am not expecting a whole lot of sweeping by 1943. I would expect the allies will be on the offensive with a crap load of planes by then. And I need a plane that can actually damage the enemy, not just tickle them.
I too have decided upon the Nell. Better range, similar stats otherwise. What do you see in the Frances? It looks just so-so to me ...
The Frances has better durability than either the Betty or Nell and it has armor. The range is not as good, but I would only use that longer range for naval search, not naval attack. I do not set the range of my Betty's or Nell's greater than the range of the Zero's or Oscars in the same hex when they use drop tanks. So this means they are limited to 14 hexes at best.
Wow, higher than I have had to go. I hadn't noted you having a big tank losses to date ... did I miss something?I have ordered Vehicle production expanded to 150. I am down to just 531 Vehicle points after the arrival of the elements of the 1st and 2nd tank divisions.
I had not increased it earlier, so I had only built a big enough stock pile to handle the arrival of the tank divisions with hardly anything left to spare. Some of those tank units arrived at 77% TOE, so I will need some more in order to build them up to full potential. Plus, of course, I need points for replacements for other units.
RE: More Radar
Ahh, thanks for the clarifications. Particularly the vehicles, makes perfect sense.ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown
ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
The Mavis gets radar, but not until the device becomes active, right? ... sometime in '44? Not aware that it happens right away. If it does, I will keep Mavis as well.
You are right. The radar device in the plane data is greyed out. So it is not available yet. Very disappointing. I will continue building the Mavis H6K5 anyway.
Curious about this. I like the Tojo, but the range of the Oscar is so good for sweeps. Have you thought about that? How will you handle sweeps without the Oscar?
I am not expecting a whole lot of sweeping by 1943. I would expect the allies will be on the offensive with a crap load of planes by then. And I need a plane that can actually damage the enemy, not just tickle them.
I too have decided upon the Nell. Better range, similar stats otherwise. What do you see in the Frances? It looks just so-so to me ...
The Frances has better durability than either the Betty or Nell and it has armor. The range is not as good, but I would only use that longer range for naval search, not naval attack. I do not set the range of my Betty's or Nell's greater than the range of the Zero's or Oscars in the same hex when they use drop tanks. So this means they are limited to 14 hexes at best.
Wow, higher than I have had to go. I hadn't noted you having a big tank losses to date ... did I miss something?I have ordered Vehicle production expanded to 150. I am down to just 531 Vehicle points after the arrival of the elements of the 1st and 2nd tank divisions.
I had not increased it earlier, so I had only built a big enough stock pile to handle the arrival of the tank divisions with hardly anything left to spare. Some of those tank units arrived at 77% TOE, so I will need some more in order to build them up to full potential. Plus, of course, I need points for replacements for other units.
Pax
- CapAndGown
- Posts: 3078
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Virginia, USA
RE: More Radar
Just an update on the Mavis/Emily issue. Since it is now apparent that the Mavis does not get radar any earlier than the Emily, I am switching over to Emily production. The Mavis factory was switched over to making Vals since I am a little light on that plane. The Emily is clearly superior to the Mavis, with a higher durability and the addition of armor.
I also just noticed that the Frances has a service rating of 4. This is clearly a drawback. But I will continue to research this plane.
I also just noticed that the Frances has a service rating of 4. This is clearly a drawback. But I will continue to research this plane.
- CapAndGown
- Posts: 3078
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Virginia, USA
Thoughts on Convoys
July 7, 1942
Still not much happening. Troops are landing in Mindanao as part of the clean up effort in the Philippines. More dot capturing and lots of base building. Still waiting for the AKs to come on line.
This post is mainly about my thinking regarding convoys, and in particular tanker convoys.
I am using Singapore as my hub where oil and fuel from Medan/Palembang/Miri/Balikpapan are delivered before being loaded on tanker convoys to be sent to Nagasaki.
Up to now I have just been concentrating on using the largest tankers available to form two really big convoys that are well escorted to get as much fuel and oil up to the home islands as possible in as few convoys as possible. Tanker size, however, is not the only consideration. I now realize that the speed of a round trip is just as important. The quicker the turn around time, the more oil/fuel that can be delivered in the same amount of time.
With this in mind I am now going to rework my convoy system:
One convoy will be made up of Type-N TL tankers and oilers. Japan has 8 TK ships of this type, and 4 AO models. Together, these 12 ships can form a 120,000 ton convoy (plus escorts) which will carry 138,000 tons of oil/fuel (12,800 tons each). The cruise speed of these ships in 15 knots. They will be escorted by ships that also have a cruise speed of 15 knots.
At least one other convoy will be made up of Type-1 TL tankers. More convoys of this type may be added later since there are many of this type of tanker being built in the merchant shipyards. These TKs/AOs carry 11,600 tons of fuel/oil and have a cruise speed of 14 knots. They also will have escorts with a cruise speed of 15 knots.
Another very large TK is the Tonan Whaler class. Unfortunately, this TK only has a cruise speed of 13 knots. There are also not that many of this class available. I count only five in the inventory and it doesn't look like any more will be coming. So rather than make a separate TF with this type, I am going to combine them with a resource convoy of Lima and Toho class xAKs. Manzyu type TKs will also be added to these resource convoys. Manzyu's have a capacity of 7,950 tons.
For the Palembang/Miri/Medan/Balikpapan shuttles I will use the smaller tankers such as the Type-1 TS class TKs (1250 tons) and Std-C class TKs (2850 tons).
Still not much happening. Troops are landing in Mindanao as part of the clean up effort in the Philippines. More dot capturing and lots of base building. Still waiting for the AKs to come on line.
This post is mainly about my thinking regarding convoys, and in particular tanker convoys.
I am using Singapore as my hub where oil and fuel from Medan/Palembang/Miri/Balikpapan are delivered before being loaded on tanker convoys to be sent to Nagasaki.
Up to now I have just been concentrating on using the largest tankers available to form two really big convoys that are well escorted to get as much fuel and oil up to the home islands as possible in as few convoys as possible. Tanker size, however, is not the only consideration. I now realize that the speed of a round trip is just as important. The quicker the turn around time, the more oil/fuel that can be delivered in the same amount of time.
With this in mind I am now going to rework my convoy system:
One convoy will be made up of Type-N TL tankers and oilers. Japan has 8 TK ships of this type, and 4 AO models. Together, these 12 ships can form a 120,000 ton convoy (plus escorts) which will carry 138,000 tons of oil/fuel (12,800 tons each). The cruise speed of these ships in 15 knots. They will be escorted by ships that also have a cruise speed of 15 knots.
At least one other convoy will be made up of Type-1 TL tankers. More convoys of this type may be added later since there are many of this type of tanker being built in the merchant shipyards. These TKs/AOs carry 11,600 tons of fuel/oil and have a cruise speed of 14 knots. They also will have escorts with a cruise speed of 15 knots.
Another very large TK is the Tonan Whaler class. Unfortunately, this TK only has a cruise speed of 13 knots. There are also not that many of this class available. I count only five in the inventory and it doesn't look like any more will be coming. So rather than make a separate TF with this type, I am going to combine them with a resource convoy of Lima and Toho class xAKs. Manzyu type TKs will also be added to these resource convoys. Manzyu's have a capacity of 7,950 tons.
For the Palembang/Miri/Medan/Balikpapan shuttles I will use the smaller tankers such as the Type-1 TS class TKs (1250 tons) and Std-C class TKs (2850 tons).
RE: More Radar
Yep, and that is my issue with it. It will be interesting to see here in your AAR how the Frances works for you when you get there.ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown
I also just noticed that the Frances has a service rating of 4. This is clearly a drawback. But I will continue to research this plane.
Pax
- CapAndGown
- Posts: 3078
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Virginia, USA
AFB help needed
July 10, 1942
So, the majority of my AKs will be available in a couple of days. I still need to get the troops and the ships down to Java (3 divisions prepping for Australia are currently in Manilla). That will take 2 weeks. Once on Java they can load up for the invasion.
I have lots of tank regiments and even two tank divisions, as well as numerous infantry divisions that I could use for this invasion.
The question is: should I still invade? It now looks as though the landing would take place in early August. Is this too late to mount an offensive aimed at capturing Perth? Do I need to start thinking about a possible allied offensive? Is there some way of figuring out how much opposition I might face?
Right now, the eastern DEI is secure from attack. The Solomons also seem secure for now since he has not been building his northeastern bases. It would seem that late summer/early fall allied offensive, if one is being planned, would target either Burma and/or the Marshals/Gilberts. Or, possibly, western Sumatra or the Kra Isthmus.
My fear is that I get deeply embroiled in a campaign to capture Perth just as the allied counter-offensive begins, leaving me with little to counter it.
It seems to all come down to how much stuff he has brought into Oz, which is unknowable, and how much else he has to throw into an offensive elsewhere. In a worst case situation, what all do the allies have at this point in the war that they can throw at me and, based on what they have available, what would be the best way to employ these assets: amphibious assault or overland?
So, the majority of my AKs will be available in a couple of days. I still need to get the troops and the ships down to Java (3 divisions prepping for Australia are currently in Manilla). That will take 2 weeks. Once on Java they can load up for the invasion.
I have lots of tank regiments and even two tank divisions, as well as numerous infantry divisions that I could use for this invasion.
The question is: should I still invade? It now looks as though the landing would take place in early August. Is this too late to mount an offensive aimed at capturing Perth? Do I need to start thinking about a possible allied offensive? Is there some way of figuring out how much opposition I might face?
Right now, the eastern DEI is secure from attack. The Solomons also seem secure for now since he has not been building his northeastern bases. It would seem that late summer/early fall allied offensive, if one is being planned, would target either Burma and/or the Marshals/Gilberts. Or, possibly, western Sumatra or the Kra Isthmus.
My fear is that I get deeply embroiled in a campaign to capture Perth just as the allied counter-offensive begins, leaving me with little to counter it.
It seems to all come down to how much stuff he has brought into Oz, which is unknowable, and how much else he has to throw into an offensive elsewhere. In a worst case situation, what all do the allies have at this point in the war that they can throw at me and, based on what they have available, what would be the best way to employ these assets: amphibious assault or overland?
RE: AFB help needed
Ghenkis Khan here , yes attack, attack, attack!!!
Ok, I've been browsing some of the AAR's and it seems like some of the Japanese players have been invadng places like Perth. I'm kinda of fuzzy as to what will be gained. As an allied player, when I go on the offense, I would just let the Japanese keep Perth.
I'll have to check and see how many VPs are involved, but it would seem to me it could just turn out to be a large self made POW camp.
How are you going to keep all of these places supplied? As it is playing conventionally Japan has problems keeping SLOC's open. Once the allieds do go on the offensive all they have to do is retake some key locations and much of the gains in far away places will be cut off from easy resupply.
You my find youself in a position where you're not defending behind a solid position with secure interior lines of communications.
What is your fall back plan when the allieds go on the offensive? Will you be able to transport these valuable and experienced troops to where they will be needed, like Saipan, Rabaul or some other key area? Will you be able to protect troops being transported from sub, air or surface attack?
Right now at July 10th the allieds don't have that much in offensive capabilites-depending on previous losses, but they do start to get CVE's trickling in. In a couple of months the P-38's start to arrive. If playing with historical allied torpedoes-you're approaching the period when they begin to improve.
What will you do if the Allieds decide to focus their upcomming offensive in the Central Pacific?
Ok, I've been browsing some of the AAR's and it seems like some of the Japanese players have been invadng places like Perth. I'm kinda of fuzzy as to what will be gained. As an allied player, when I go on the offense, I would just let the Japanese keep Perth.
I'll have to check and see how many VPs are involved, but it would seem to me it could just turn out to be a large self made POW camp.
How are you going to keep all of these places supplied? As it is playing conventionally Japan has problems keeping SLOC's open. Once the allieds do go on the offensive all they have to do is retake some key locations and much of the gains in far away places will be cut off from easy resupply.
You my find youself in a position where you're not defending behind a solid position with secure interior lines of communications.
What is your fall back plan when the allieds go on the offensive? Will you be able to transport these valuable and experienced troops to where they will be needed, like Saipan, Rabaul or some other key area? Will you be able to protect troops being transported from sub, air or surface attack?
Right now at July 10th the allieds don't have that much in offensive capabilites-depending on previous losses, but they do start to get CVE's trickling in. In a couple of months the P-38's start to arrive. If playing with historical allied torpedoes-you're approaching the period when they begin to improve.
What will you do if the Allieds decide to focus their upcomming offensive in the Central Pacific?
- CapAndGown
- Posts: 3078
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Virginia, USA
RE: AFB help needed
ORIGINAL: sfbaytf
Ghenkis Khan here , yes attack, attack, attack!!!
Ok, I've been browsing some of the AAR's and it seems like some of the Japanese players have been invadng places like Perth. I'm kinda of fuzzy as to what will be gained. As an allied player, when I go on the offense, I would just let the Japanese keep Perth.
I'll have to check and see how many VPs are involved, but it would seem to me it could just turn out to be a large self made POW camp.
I don't know why other Japanese players are attacking Perth. I know what I am after: to further isolate Australia from reinforcement. I would like to hold Perth and southwestern OZ in order to sever the Capetown-Australia LOC. I am not doing it for VPs.
RE: AFB help needed
How confident are you in holding Australia and keeping it completely isolated? Personally I never faced this sort of situation. In our last game my opponent tried to take Fiji and failled. This time around he mentioned it was a mistake to try and expand too far as Japan. Much better to take enough to hold a solid defensive line and focus on defending from a position where he had the advantage of interior lines of communications.
He also recently mention that for years he was stockpiling resources, fuel and oil and that his warehouses were "bursting" with supplies and resources.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out for you later on-especially from a logistical standpoint. For now Japan still has the advantage, but technologically, you're approaching a point where the air war will begin to even out and eventually go against you.
I would also be concerened about the torpedoes on subs beginning to work more often for the allieds. As Japan you're a long way off from the "D" class escorts with their sub killing capabilities and the devs may tone that down.
As the old saying goes "he who defends everything everwhere, eventually defends nothing" from what I've been able to gather from a quick looking over of the situation. As an allied player I would begin raiding your supply lines of communications in the South Pacific with small fast destroyer/CL fleets and subs.
I would be focusing on offensives in the Gilberts and Marshalls. LBA plays a minor role in these areas. The Gilberts are taken you're going to have a very long line of communcations that is vulnerable to being cut off at a number of places. Its then just up to the allieds to decide when and where to attack.
In general by mid to late 43 the war usually has moved on to other locations and Fili/Noumea become something of a back water for the allieds. You should be thinking ahead and planning how to get your garrisons out of the backwater areas. Having them doing nothing isolated when they could have been digging in and delaying the allieds elsewhere is not good.
In some ways you've simplified the allieds life and complicated yours.
The allieds no longer have to resupply Noumea and Fiji and can utilize those resources elsewhere.
You now have the additional problem of how to keep you new acquisition in supply, what to do with them and the forces garrisoning them and how to successfully integrate distant places into a solid line of defense in the face of an increasingly powerful enemy.
Think of it this way. You have 2 people who make the same amount of money. One goes out and acquires a lot of stuff-big home, fancy car, nice clothes and lives beyond their means.
The other person rents, drives a beater, has practical but not the latest and greatest fashions. This person lives below his means.
A storm is on the horizon and great incertainty is in the forecast. Who is in better shape?
He also recently mention that for years he was stockpiling resources, fuel and oil and that his warehouses were "bursting" with supplies and resources.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out for you later on-especially from a logistical standpoint. For now Japan still has the advantage, but technologically, you're approaching a point where the air war will begin to even out and eventually go against you.
I would also be concerened about the torpedoes on subs beginning to work more often for the allieds. As Japan you're a long way off from the "D" class escorts with their sub killing capabilities and the devs may tone that down.
As the old saying goes "he who defends everything everwhere, eventually defends nothing" from what I've been able to gather from a quick looking over of the situation. As an allied player I would begin raiding your supply lines of communications in the South Pacific with small fast destroyer/CL fleets and subs.
I would be focusing on offensives in the Gilberts and Marshalls. LBA plays a minor role in these areas. The Gilberts are taken you're going to have a very long line of communcations that is vulnerable to being cut off at a number of places. Its then just up to the allieds to decide when and where to attack.
In general by mid to late 43 the war usually has moved on to other locations and Fili/Noumea become something of a back water for the allieds. You should be thinking ahead and planning how to get your garrisons out of the backwater areas. Having them doing nothing isolated when they could have been digging in and delaying the allieds elsewhere is not good.
In some ways you've simplified the allieds life and complicated yours.
The allieds no longer have to resupply Noumea and Fiji and can utilize those resources elsewhere.
You now have the additional problem of how to keep you new acquisition in supply, what to do with them and the forces garrisoning them and how to successfully integrate distant places into a solid line of defense in the face of an increasingly powerful enemy.
Think of it this way. You have 2 people who make the same amount of money. One goes out and acquires a lot of stuff-big home, fancy car, nice clothes and lives beyond their means.
The other person rents, drives a beater, has practical but not the latest and greatest fashions. This person lives below his means.
A storm is on the horizon and great incertainty is in the forecast. Who is in better shape?
- CapAndGown
- Posts: 3078
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Virginia, USA
RE: Radar Day
July 12, 1942
sfbaytf (or should I call you Khan?) Thank you for your insights. I too was thinking the Marshalls would be a prime target. I was wondering what kind of amphibious capability the allies have in 42. xAKs and xAPs make for very poor amphibious invasions. I know the allies do get some APs early on. In fact, one of my subs sunk a big one (President Monroe).
A huge part of my plan is precisely to get the allies to launch their offensive through the central Pacific where it cannot be supported by LBA. I want a shot at attacking his invasion fleets and his CVs at a place where they have no LBA support and are a long way from their bases. If you think the Marshalls/Gilberts would be his prime target, then I seem to have accomplished my goal.
Except for one small wrinkle: I am not ready for him yet. [;)] I still don't have the bases built up to where I want them and I still need to get the garrison troops and airgroups in place. I am working on that, but it will take a while.
This is partially why I hesitate about an assault on southwest Australia. As soon as the KB gives away its position supporting the invasion, this will free him to begin his own offensive on the other side of the map. I only have 7 fleet carriers available right now (Hiryu is still about 40 days away from being repaired) and 3 CVLs. I kind of doubt he has his carriers in Oz since his fuel situation there is probably horrendous. Nevertheless, I would still need to support the invasion with at least 5 CVs and 1 CVL, leaving only 2 CVs and 2 CVLs and one CVE available to defend the Marshalls/Gilberts.
As to holding everything, I think my defenses of New Cal/Fiji/Samoa are adequate but not a drain on my defenses elsewhere, except for the JNAF units down there which would be nice to have elsewhere. I have 2 regiments on New Caledonia. 2 regiments on Fiji. One brigade on Pago-Pago. Some SNLF units on the outlying islands. And 2 garrison units (about regimental size) in the Tonga Islands. Those garrison units are due to be withdrawn in 500 days anyway. So I don't ever have to worry about evacing them, they will self-evac in 500 days. [:D] I also have a regiment at Luganville. He can take this stuff if he wants. But he will need to commit multiple divisions to do it, and if he does that, it is too my benefit since they will not be available to attack my other possessions.
The supply issue is one that concerns me. Fortunately, all the bases down there are built up to the final size I want them have (level four airfields, level 3 forts) and I have pulled out all the engineers. So they are not eating any more supplies than what they need to eat, so to speak. [:)]
At some point I may wish to pull some of those guys out of there. But I would like to see him commit to an offensive before I do that. I want to know what his main axis is going to be before I redeploy anyone.
Speaking of the Marshalls, I wonder what all these subs are doing around there?

sfbaytf (or should I call you Khan?) Thank you for your insights. I too was thinking the Marshalls would be a prime target. I was wondering what kind of amphibious capability the allies have in 42. xAKs and xAPs make for very poor amphibious invasions. I know the allies do get some APs early on. In fact, one of my subs sunk a big one (President Monroe).
A huge part of my plan is precisely to get the allies to launch their offensive through the central Pacific where it cannot be supported by LBA. I want a shot at attacking his invasion fleets and his CVs at a place where they have no LBA support and are a long way from their bases. If you think the Marshalls/Gilberts would be his prime target, then I seem to have accomplished my goal.
Except for one small wrinkle: I am not ready for him yet. [;)] I still don't have the bases built up to where I want them and I still need to get the garrison troops and airgroups in place. I am working on that, but it will take a while.
This is partially why I hesitate about an assault on southwest Australia. As soon as the KB gives away its position supporting the invasion, this will free him to begin his own offensive on the other side of the map. I only have 7 fleet carriers available right now (Hiryu is still about 40 days away from being repaired) and 3 CVLs. I kind of doubt he has his carriers in Oz since his fuel situation there is probably horrendous. Nevertheless, I would still need to support the invasion with at least 5 CVs and 1 CVL, leaving only 2 CVs and 2 CVLs and one CVE available to defend the Marshalls/Gilberts.
As to holding everything, I think my defenses of New Cal/Fiji/Samoa are adequate but not a drain on my defenses elsewhere, except for the JNAF units down there which would be nice to have elsewhere. I have 2 regiments on New Caledonia. 2 regiments on Fiji. One brigade on Pago-Pago. Some SNLF units on the outlying islands. And 2 garrison units (about regimental size) in the Tonga Islands. Those garrison units are due to be withdrawn in 500 days anyway. So I don't ever have to worry about evacing them, they will self-evac in 500 days. [:D] I also have a regiment at Luganville. He can take this stuff if he wants. But he will need to commit multiple divisions to do it, and if he does that, it is too my benefit since they will not be available to attack my other possessions.
The supply issue is one that concerns me. Fortunately, all the bases down there are built up to the final size I want them have (level four airfields, level 3 forts) and I have pulled out all the engineers. So they are not eating any more supplies than what they need to eat, so to speak. [:)]
At some point I may wish to pull some of those guys out of there. But I would like to see him commit to an offensive before I do that. I want to know what his main axis is going to be before I redeploy anyone.
Speaking of the Marshalls, I wonder what all these subs are doing around there?

- Attachments
-
- subsgalore.jpg (35.32 KiB) Viewed 306 times
RE: Radar Day
I didn't realize you left such a tiny garrison on Fiji and Noumea. Do you think your opponent knows this? If I did then it would not be much trouble to take back-so long as KB doesn't show up.
Regarding the Central Pacific. These are small atols. Not going to require large amounts of transport to invade. While the older AP's take longer to unload you can mitigate some of that by using more ships per unit than needed. In other words is it takes 6 AP's and 1 AK to load a division for and amphibious assault, if you use more and allocate 12 AP's and 4 AK's and spread out the load you're going to get more troops unloaded in a given time frame. Since the Marshals and Gilberts are atols it wouldn't be difficult to use more amphibious transport than required.
How much AP shipping does the allieds have in? Depends on how much they got out of the DEI and other places before they fell. Conceivably your opponent could have sent some from the Indian Ocean areas too. Unless you've sunk alot of AP's I don't think a 2-3 division amphibious assault by the allieds is undoable.
Regarding the Central Pacific. These are small atols. Not going to require large amounts of transport to invade. While the older AP's take longer to unload you can mitigate some of that by using more ships per unit than needed. In other words is it takes 6 AP's and 1 AK to load a division for and amphibious assault, if you use more and allocate 12 AP's and 4 AK's and spread out the load you're going to get more troops unloaded in a given time frame. Since the Marshals and Gilberts are atols it wouldn't be difficult to use more amphibious transport than required.
How much AP shipping does the allieds have in? Depends on how much they got out of the DEI and other places before they fell. Conceivably your opponent could have sent some from the Indian Ocean areas too. Unless you've sunk alot of AP's I don't think a 2-3 division amphibious assault by the allieds is undoable.
- CapAndGown
- Posts: 3078
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Virginia, USA
RE: Radar Day
July 13, 1942
A very interesting piece of intelligence was gained today. One of my subs sank an xAK between Tasmania and Australia. What was interesting was that I got a message that its fuel cargo was burning. An xAK transporting fuel. How interesting.Is the fuel situation so bad down in Oz that he needs to use cargo ships to transport the stuff?
It could be he is using TKs to make the trek between the US/Capetown and Oz while using xAKs to shuttle it around Australia itself. But this does hint at a poor fuel situation and would seem to indicate that there are not carriers hanging out around Oz.
A very interesting piece of intelligence was gained today. One of my subs sank an xAK between Tasmania and Australia. What was interesting was that I got a message that its fuel cargo was burning. An xAK transporting fuel. How interesting.Is the fuel situation so bad down in Oz that he needs to use cargo ships to transport the stuff?
It could be he is using TKs to make the trek between the US/Capetown and Oz while using xAKs to shuttle it around Australia itself. But this does hint at a poor fuel situation and would seem to indicate that there are not carriers hanging out around Oz.
RE: Radar Day
Interesting about the fuel, but could it simply be that he has loaded mostly supply with a bit of fuel? We as Japan have a number of AKs that load, say, 3000 supply and 300 fuel. I can't imagine he's lost *that* many tankers, has he?

RE: Radar Day
I wonder if I should be providing intell to the other side....
1 AK with fuel isn't going to say much. In that area there are ports will fuel that he's just gathering. Once again alot also depends on how much your opponent got out of the DEI before it fell.
You did secure Java and other oil/fuel producing places quickly? Or did you shoot your wad on the taking of bases and isolating OZ?
OZ is going to require fuel and supplies at some point. Still if push comes to shove you're opponent could resort to refueling his carriers by sucking the fuel out of transports.
1 AK with fuel isn't going to say much. In that area there are ports will fuel that he's just gathering. Once again alot also depends on how much your opponent got out of the DEI before it fell.
You did secure Java and other oil/fuel producing places quickly? Or did you shoot your wad on the taking of bases and isolating OZ?
OZ is going to require fuel and supplies at some point. Still if push comes to shove you're opponent could resort to refueling his carriers by sucking the fuel out of transports.
- CapAndGown
- Posts: 3078
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Virginia, USA
RE: Radar Day
ORIGINAL: Grotius
Interesting about the fuel, but could it simply be that he has loaded mostly supply with a bit of fuel? We as Japan have a number of AKs that load, say, 3000 supply and 300 fuel. I can't imagine he's lost *that* many tankers, has he?
No, he hasn't lost that many tankers. Maybe you are right, this is just an xAK with some fuel capability. I still think he is having a tough time on getting fuel to Oz. The HI there is a pig that devours fuel unmercifully and the allies cannot turn it off. That, combined with the long, long trek he needs to make is going to mean that fuel will be in short supply in Oz. (Another thought: with a shortage of fuel, his HI cannot run, meaning he is not producing supply either!)
RE: Radar Day
For whatever it's worth in my previous campaign game in stock WitP my main offensive was from Darwin through Timor, past Kendari with the much of the Celebes and Moluccas and Ceram falling under the allieds control. All this was supplied by the shipping and resources eminating in Bombay-this was after KB visites the Indian Ocean and blasted a ton of merchants and tankers. As I'm now finding out with my blocade of the Japanese home islands, it's alot harder than it appears-and I have only a straight of water with a few island in it to cover. You're blocading an entire continent.
Your opponent is going to have to work at it, but I would assume he knows where the holes are and is exploiting them. Like roaches or rats they will always find a way.
Your opponent is going to have to work at it, but I would assume he knows where the holes are and is exploiting them. Like roaches or rats they will always find a way.
- CapAndGown
- Posts: 3078
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Virginia, USA
RE: Radar Day
July 16, 1942
An US sub got one of my large AO's in its sights and fired torpedoes at it in two different phases. Fortunately, all of the torps were duds.
Of course, I have no idea what my opponent knows. I would say, however, that while it might be fairly easy to take these islands, they are also not a push over. He would need to bring in at least one division, and probably two to secure any one of them. They are not going to just fall over and die after the first shock attack unless he brings a really big hammer. (And that will delay his offensives elsewhere.) This will give me time to bring in air units to attack his shipping, or, if his invasion force departs, to bring in ground reinforcements from the non-threatened islands.
But, so as to further confound the situation, I have decided to play some more radio games. I had some divisions in Manchuria preping for northeastern Australian cities such as Rockhampton and Brisbane in order to mislead my opponent about the direction of my offensive plans. I now have those divisions preping for Noumea, Suva, Luganville, and Pago-Pago to create the impression that those islands are much more strongly held than they are.
A question to the JFB's out there: I have been building clusters of bases so that allied 4E bombers cannot suppress all the bases in an area. I want it so that there will be enough undamaged bases left that my planes can still fly. The problem with this is that Japanese aviation support is very, very thin. I can put 24 and 48 aviation support sized units on a number of bases, but that can hardly support one Sentai, much less mutiple Sentai. So how do you handle the lack of aviation support? Do you stack your aviation units, giving yourself more support points? Or do you spread them out giving yourself more bases from which you can fly while at least having some support for your planes?
I just found the production chart thingy in Tracker, so I thought I would show a graph of my production in this post. I have had a very large increase in HI points every since I reduced my armaments production to 95 points several months ago.

An US sub got one of my large AO's in its sights and fired torpedoes at it in two different phases. Fortunately, all of the torps were duds.
ORIGINAL: sfbaytf
I didn't realize you left such a tiny garrison on Fiji and Noumea. Do you think your opponent knows this? If I did then it would not be much trouble to take back-so long as KB doesn't show up.
Of course, I have no idea what my opponent knows. I would say, however, that while it might be fairly easy to take these islands, they are also not a push over. He would need to bring in at least one division, and probably two to secure any one of them. They are not going to just fall over and die after the first shock attack unless he brings a really big hammer. (And that will delay his offensives elsewhere.) This will give me time to bring in air units to attack his shipping, or, if his invasion force departs, to bring in ground reinforcements from the non-threatened islands.
But, so as to further confound the situation, I have decided to play some more radio games. I had some divisions in Manchuria preping for northeastern Australian cities such as Rockhampton and Brisbane in order to mislead my opponent about the direction of my offensive plans. I now have those divisions preping for Noumea, Suva, Luganville, and Pago-Pago to create the impression that those islands are much more strongly held than they are.

A question to the JFB's out there: I have been building clusters of bases so that allied 4E bombers cannot suppress all the bases in an area. I want it so that there will be enough undamaged bases left that my planes can still fly. The problem with this is that Japanese aviation support is very, very thin. I can put 24 and 48 aviation support sized units on a number of bases, but that can hardly support one Sentai, much less mutiple Sentai. So how do you handle the lack of aviation support? Do you stack your aviation units, giving yourself more support points? Or do you spread them out giving yourself more bases from which you can fly while at least having some support for your planes?
I just found the production chart thingy in Tracker, so I thought I would show a graph of my production in this post. I have had a very large increase in HI points every since I reduced my armaments production to 95 points several months ago.

- Attachments
-
- July42Pr..ongraph.jpg (63.06 KiB) Viewed 306 times
- Grfin Zeppelin
- Posts: 1514
- Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:22 pm
- Location: Germany
RE: Radar Day
In my current game I bought out everything that has avitation support and can be moved out of the HI and Manchuria (safe a few for China and the training squads) The static devices on the HI give enough support for the planes there.

- CapAndGown
- Posts: 3078
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Virginia, USA
RE: Radar Day
ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin
In my current game I bought out everything that has avitation support and can be moved out of the HI and Manchuria (safe a few for China and the training squads) The static devices on the HI give enough support for the planes there.
I have done some of that as well. The question still remains: stack or spread?



