Futrue of SPWAW online games.....

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Commander Klank
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Killleen, Texas
Contact:

Futrue of SPWAW online games.....

Post by Commander Klank »

Well Guys (and Gals?) I fought my fist Online Game and I must say the expereance was awsome. I never played a human opponent before in Steel Panters!

I've played SP since its first days and Im no snapper (Who here knows were "snapper" comes from?) to the game or WW2. Needless to say my "heart" was pounding all through the unit selection and set-up proceses.

The Battle was very intense, ending in a draw. I was quit satisfied considering I was fighting 6 Tiger tanks, assalt guns, and SS Mech Infantry in late 1942 (Easten Front). I had selected basic Soviet units centered around a Company of Infantry, 4 KV-1es and 6 T-34s. Seemed like those SS Tigers could move and shot all day long......LOL. Lost most all of my armor but I hung in there and fought him to a draw.

Anyways, playing a Human opponent in SPWAW totaly lived up to all my expectations. Can' wait for my next game. This brings me to my next subjct........

And a question I guess for Wild Bill and the guys...........

Seeing how SPWAW online is so awsome is thier a chance tha Matrix/SSI might make an "Offical Gaming Zone " for SPWAW? GM Cliant works ok but it seems a bit klunkie. Im thinking more of what they got for Close Combat and other popular online games.

I just think a great game like SPWAW deserves a great sight for its online gamers.

What you think?

Oh, my game-name is based off of the noise from a hit on a tank in the old SP game!

Yeah, Yeah I know!.........LOL

Commander Klank

Commander Klank

ImageImage
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Klank is fine. Could have been Klunk or boing Image

You are right. The TCP/IP gaming experience is unique, nothing like it, especially with the many built-in features for such play such as optional opfire, which allows for player participation even when it is the other guys turn.

And having a time limit, time outs, etc, all features designed for good instant play.

We hope to enhance and improve this client server with time, especially as more games become available in this format.

It is on our list, Colonel.

Wild Bill


------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Anzac Rambo
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Blenheim, New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Anzac Rambo »

I found the game client and Matrix Combat net worked well and are provide a similar experience to the other game zones except there aren't all the idiots you find at most of the big zones.I had a game with a German and I am in New Zealand and it played flawlessly. The game did I didn't.
Drake
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Kingston, Canada

Post by Drake »

The one thing I wound not mind seeing is vice chat in the rooms you create like mplayer has. I always found this a nice feature becouse you could chat before and after a battle and not have to do all that typeing and unlike Roger wilco and stuff you did not have to go true the troble of setting it up.
Windo von Paene
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue May 16, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by Windo von Paene »

Well, I'll say it again, just to be pedantic.

I'd like to see the opponents OP fire time not count against my time. Like the way the clock stops as my unit is moving to a hex I have clicked...
Kharan
Posts: 462
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am

Post by Kharan »

Originally posted by Windo von Paene:
Well, I'll say it again, just to be pedantic.

I'd like to see the opponents OP fire time not count against my time. Like the way the clock stops as my unit is moving to a hex I have clicked...
Does it really matter? Your op fire counts also against his time. If you think they take too much of your time, you can increase turn time.

Of course it is polite for everyone not to doddle on purpose on the op fire prompt, just to keep the game flowing.
Windo von Paene
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue May 16, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by Windo von Paene »

Yes I think it does matter. In anything other than a meeting engagement, this bug will seriously favor the defender, who will likely have many more op fire chances than the attacker, especially in the early going.
And I don't think you can change the turn time once the game has started, so increasing the turn time really isn't an option.

Also, I think if you are playing woth sounds on, this "lag" in the timer during op fire is dramatically increased, (though I can't verify that). I just know that in the first online game I palyed, (which only allowed for the default 3 min per turn), tow or three op fire shots by the opponent sucked away the entire turn. Turned sounds off and it hasn't been quite so dramatic, (though I upped the turn timer to 15 mins, so perhaps I just wasn't as aware).
Pack Rat
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: north central Pennsylvania USA

Post by Pack Rat »

Originally posted by Drake:
The one thing I wound not mind seeing is vice chat in the rooms you create like mplayer has. I always found this a nice feature becouse you could chat before and after a battle and not have to do all that typeing and unlike Roger wilco and stuff you did not have to go true the troble of setting it up.
It will be interesting to see what happens when directX 8 is released, which should be very soon. It will have built in voice enhancements.



------------------

"Sex, it's natures way of loving you"
Pack Rat
PR
Kharan
Posts: 462
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am

Post by Kharan »

Windo: 3 op fire shots sucked away the entire turn?? Never seen anything like that. At max they could take 15 seconds, and even that would require a very slow player. Most of the time in my games one op fire has taken 1-3 secs. Some players are pretty quick at pressing "no" so that you wouldn't even notice the op fire possibility.

Pack Rat: DX 8 has already been released a few days ago.
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Post by mogami »

Hi, you can change turn tome allowed anytime. I don't play the fast turn games but I also rarely use all the time alloted but I don't mind waiting. Speed kills in war

------------------
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Originally posted by Windo von Paene:
Yes I think it does matter. In anything other than a meeting engagement, this bug will seriously favor the defender, who will likely have many more op fire chances than the attacker, especially in the early going.
And I don't think you can change the turn time once the game has started, so increasing the turn time really isn't an option.

Also, I think if you are playing woth sounds on, this "lag" in the timer during op fire is dramatically increased, (though I can't verify that). I just know that in the first online game I palyed, (which only allowed for the default 3 min per turn), tow or three op fire shots by the opponent sucked away the entire turn. Turned sounds off and it hasn't been quite so dramatic, (though I upped the turn timer to 15 mins, so perhaps I just wasn't as aware).
I don't know about online play, but the
defender always seems to have an advantage against the AI, and whether designed or by coincidence, my understanding is that it reflects the situation in real combat.

Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
Windo von Paene
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue May 16, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by Windo von Paene »

Kharen-
Yep, pretty much once the defender had had about 3 Op fire opportunities, (2 shots each), I was done. I could actually watch my timer go from like 2:28, then when control came back it was at 1:14. Next unit moves, same thing....

It sucked.

Now while I have upped the timer to 15 mins, it does sort of take away all of the cool "Command Intervention" features and such. The battle where I had this problem was just getting started, and I hate to think what would have happened had our troops actually come into close contact with each other, (as these were simply tanks taking long range potshots at each other)...
Kharan
Posts: 462
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am

Post by Kharan »

Sounds like a connection problem. Anyone else have had that?
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”