ORIGINAL: bklooste
Since the B29s didnt do anything the B17s from Europe couldnt.... yes. On Feb 45 just move 8th Airforce to the Pacific.
While I believe in the actual application of bombs on target, the Mighty Eighth could have done just as good of a job of razing Japan. However, I think you would have had one hell of a problem getting the Eighth's pilots over to the Pacific. I know there were concerns with moving the ground troops out of the ETO to the Pacific. I don't see how the guys in the B-17's would have reacted any differently from anyone in Third Army for example (if the Third, or any of its units, were slated for transfer - I loaned my copy of Downfall out).
However, it is hard to get into a situation where you don't make observations based on hindsight or deal with odd issues of foresight. There are just too many variables. When the plans were down for the B-29, no one could know that in 1945 it would be impossible for B-17's to fly out of the Marianas or that they would have to fly from Okinawa once the island had been captured. I think it was a case of "we need the biggest, fastest, strongest bomber with the longest range" in the world.
However, I am drifting off topic. In my opinion, I would say that it was a good investment. While there are issues that make the decision questionable from our sofas here in the 21st Century, I don't think anyone in 1944 or 1945 would have had a problem with the B-29. Well, apart from having your engines catch fire on take off.
Patrick