with even lower research rate, research stations not useful?

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Post Reply
taltamir
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:51 am

with even lower research rate, research stations not useful?

Post by taltamir »

research was slashed in half across the board. and you can choose a rate from very slow to very fast. However, this doesn't seem to affect the amount of research produced by a lab... it should.

in a very slow research rate my lab capacity just from the AI building starports vastly outstrips my empire capacity. reduced or increased lab output would make building lab bases at exotic locales worthwhile.
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
sbach2o
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:15 am

RE: with even lower research rate, research stations not useful?

Post by sbach2o »

It depends on how the halving of research rate was implemented. I have not tried the 1.0.4beta yet, so I don't know.

If it was through halving of the research capacity for an empire, you are probably right with your concerns. But I think it is acknowledged by the developer how fast the cap is currently reached with just a few stations. So I'd assume that the amount of research that must be done to reach a given break through has been increased (without increasing the empire cap).

Anyway, now I am speculating. Let's check first, complain then (or not).
HsojVvad
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:21 pm

RE: with even lower research rate, research stations not useful?

Post by HsojVvad »

I don't understand what people say when they say the out put excedes capacity. I have built like 5 research bases by neutron stars and find research still slow even at normal. I was thinking maybe I don't have enough research bases and need more. How many do you have?
User avatar
BigWolfChris
Posts: 665
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:26 pm
Contact:

RE: with even lower research rate, research stations not useful?

Post by BigWolfChris »

If it was implemented any other way than a) increasing research cost for each tech b) decreasing the amount of research each research component generates

then quite simply it is probably doomed to fail
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
Fishman
Posts: 795
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:56 pm

RE: with even lower research rate, research stations not useful?

Post by Fishman »

ORIGINAL: taltamir

research was slashed in half across the board. and you can choose a rate from very slow to very fast. However, this doesn't seem to affect the amount of research produced by a lab... it should.
Research base output doesn't get affected by research rate changes, this just affects either how quickly the research "tick" fires, or how much a tech costs, I'm not sure which, maybe both.
ORIGINAL: Davor

I don't understand what people say when they say the out put excedes capacity. I have built like 5 research bases by neutron stars and find research still slow even at normal. I was thinking maybe I don't have enough research bases and need more. How many do you have?
That's the thing. It doesn't matter how many research bases you spam. Research base spam will not increase your research output at ALL, because the research requirements are easily met with trivial numbers of research bases. The binding constraint on research speed is the "Max Potential Research" as a function of your empire size, not your ability to spam research bases, like in other games. In a game like Armada or SE, your research speed is a direct function of your ability to spam research installations. Colonization equates to gaining more places to spam research bases at. In DW, this is worthless, since you have an unlimited amount of space in which you can spam research bases, so the research capacity is decided by your empire size, and plopping a few research bases only allows you to use this potential: Spamming research bases is worthless and accomplishes nothing, as a single research base of sufficient size and good placement is all you really need.
sbach2o
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:15 am

RE: with even lower research rate, research stations not useful?

Post by sbach2o »

ORIGINAL: Davor

I don't understand what people say when they say the out put excedes capacity. I have built like 5 research bases by neutron stars and find research still slow even at normal. I was thinking maybe I don't have enough research bases and need more. How many do you have?
On the research screen is at the top left a number giving your empire's overall research capacity. I don't know how it's labeled exactly, as I am now away from the computer with the game.

If the research output of all your bases exceeds this capacity, it is scaled down to match the number. You will see the actual output vs. what research your empire would produce without the scaling in the sums below the per-research-area listing of facilities in the research dialog.

So excessive research output looks like it is wasted. If you have 5 research bases around neutron stars, my prediction is that you are probably far above the limit for your empire in potential resarch output, even if these bases are the default designs with just four facilities each.
taltamir
Posts: 1290
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:51 am

RE: with even lower research rate, research stations not useful?

Post by taltamir »

ORIGINAL: Davor

I don't understand what people say when they say the out put excedes capacity. I have built like 5 research bases by neutron stars and find research still slow even at normal. I was thinking maybe I don't have enough research bases and need more. How many do you have?
the "capacity" line you see that is huge and massive and much better then the actual line? thats how many LABS you have. at the top left there is a "empire" capacity which is a single number, that number gets divided by four, then applied modifiers based on race and tech, then that number is your maximum research in each field.
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
Post Reply

Return to “Tech Support”