Different size galaxies, what do you think?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Post Reply
HsojVvad
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:21 pm

Different size galaxies, what do you think?

Post by HsojVvad »

I am just wundering, what people think in the size of the galaxy. I don't mean star density, but the actual size. It's bascially 10X10 squares. I would like to have some on a smaller scale, like 5X5 or 7X7.

I like playing on a 100 star map, but I just find 10X10 is too big sometimes. I would like to have it on a smaller scale. Then I got thinking, do people want it bigger? maybe on a scale of 15X15 or even a 100X100? [X(]

I don't like how every game is played on 10X10, but only the star density changes. I really would like in an expansion or what not if this will be able to change.

(yes I already put this in the wish list thread. [:)])
Bartje
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:48 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

RE: Different size galaxies, what do you think?

Post by Bartje »

I agree, the galaxy feels a little too crowded when playing with 1500 planets, I wish there was more space.

It makes sense to be able to adapt the map we play on, as well as the planets in it.

I don't know how the game handles this however, does anybody know if there are there practical concerns against having various map sizes?
Spacecadet
Posts: 1784
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:52 pm

RE: Different size galaxies, what do you think?

Post by Spacecadet »

Yeah, I'd like to see it bigger too. Maybe 25 x 25 for the largest map.

I feel a little crowded sometimes even with a 100 star map.


CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
OS: Windows 7 (64 bit)
Res: 1920 x 1200


RViener
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:31 pm

RE: Different size galaxies, what do you think?

Post by RViener »

I agree in principle but there is probably a limit to the program's functionality. But as long as you limit the number of stars and planets it may be doable.
Bob Viener
Krelos
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:32 pm

RE: Different size galaxies, what do you think?

Post by Krelos »

I would love a bigger overall map, 25x25 would be great.
Also would love if the scale of the solar systems was larger as well, like, more distance between everything.

But yeah, no idea if that's within the games capability.
lostsm
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:06 pm

RE: Different size galaxies, what do you think?

Post by lostsm »

ORIGINAL: Davor

I am just wundering, what people think in the size of the galaxy. I don't mean star density, but the actual size. It's bascially 10X10 squares. I would like to have some on a smaller scale, like 5X5 or 7X7.

I like playing on a 100 star map, but I just find 10X10 is too big sometimes. I would like to have it on a smaller scale. Then I got thinking, do people want it bigger? maybe on a scale of 15X15 or even a 100X100? [X(]

I don't like how every game is played on 10X10, but only the star density changes. I really would like in an expansion or what not if this will be able to change.

(yes I already put this in the wish list thread. [:)])

i would love a smaller map as well. i use to play botf and in that game I loved small maps. in DW though 100 stars just doesn't feel right on the 10x10 grid, but 250 stars fits the bill, at least in a ring galaxy

it would be nice to have a grid size selection, 5x5, 10x10, etc.

I don't know about 25x25 (sounds really big!)
Cindar
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:22 pm

RE: Different size galaxies, what do you think?

Post by Cindar »

It would be nice indeed. I was really surprised when I found the galaxy size was locked to begin with.
ORIGINAL: Krelos

I would love a bigger overall map, 25x25 would be great.
Also would love if the scale of the solar systems was larger as well, like, more distance between everything.

But yeah, no idea if that's within the games capability.

Gameplay-wise, the scale of the individual solar system really doesn't matter since you hyperjump between planets instantly anyway. No matter how big you make it, the travel time is always whatever the warm up time of the hyperdrive is.

ORIGINAL: Bartje

I don't know how the game handles this however, does anybody know if there are there practical concerns against having various map sizes?

Obviously I don't have a copy of the code and I'm not privy to any detailed information about how the game works, but it shouldn't be terribly hard to make happen. Smaller galaxies should certainly be doable. Larger ones would possibly require a lot more RAM and/or CPU power to process. Or maybe not, seeing how its only empty space.
Post Reply

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”