cap_and_gown(j) v witpqs(a) - no witpqs

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

anarchyintheuk
Posts: 3958
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: Dallas

RE: Invasion: Somoa

Post by anarchyintheuk »

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

Could someone tell me why just about every fighter on these CVs was available for CAP? Is this because of the CAP percentage? Or because they were not out escorting strikes and therefore could be scrambled for CAP?

The last one is the case. Just an observation (which could be wrong) but the allies ability to scramble cap gets better as the game goes on. Can't remember if it's due to one or all of the date, squadron leader stats, radar, etc.
User avatar
Q-Ball
Posts: 7856
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:43 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

RE: Invasion: Somoa

Post by Q-Ball »

I wouldn't send in strike A/C unless you have ALOT. You'll lose a whole bunch of planes and pilots regardless, but I assume from your low losses you have plenty of each available.

This isn't all bad, Samoa is the "tip of the spear", and it will take him awhile to fight back via Suva, etc. That area is pretty useless strategically, other than as "space". I would be breathing a sigh of relief, an attack in the DEI is much worse.
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Invasion: Somoa

Post by CapAndGown »

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

Could someone tell me why just about every fighter on these CVs was available for CAP? Is this because of the CAP percentage? Or because they were not out escorting strikes and therefore could be scrambled for CAP?

The last one is the case. Just an observation (which could be wrong) but the allies ability to scramble cap gets better as the game goes on. Can't remember if it's due to one or all of the date, squadron leader stats, radar, etc.

Thanks for the explanation.
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Invasion: Somoa

Post by CapAndGown »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

I wouldn't send in strike A/C unless you have ALOT. You'll lose a whole bunch of planes and pilots regardless, but I assume from your low losses you have plenty of each available.

This isn't all bad, Samoa is the "tip of the spear", and it will take him awhile to fight back via Suva, etc. That area is pretty useless strategically, other than as "space". I would be breathing a sigh of relief, an attack in the DEI is much worse.

I agree. But don't tell witpqs that. Loose lips cost oil!

Planes and pilots I can lose for now. Even though these are small strike packages, I will continue to send them out in hopes of scoring something. According to combat replay I just ran, one of my Vals landed a 250kg bomb on a US CVE. That one hit ain't much, but it is the kind of damage I am looking to inflict.
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Invasion: Somoa

Post by CapAndGown »

Jan. 16, 1943

Today's action started out with numerous sub attacks. For some reason, whenever my subs attack allied DDs they miss, but when the allies attack my DDs, particularly those in ASW TFs, they hit and sink them. [8|] Looking at these combat reports shows that witpqs has heavily protected his carriers (even though they don't show up in the reports, I know they are there).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Ta'u at 150,159

Japanese Ships
SS I-22, hits 1

Allied Ships
DD Anderson
BB South Dakota
CA San Francisco
CL Phoenix
DD Hughes
DD Meade
DD Mustin
DD Hammann
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Ta'u at 151,160

Japanese Ships
SS I-4

Allied Ships
DMS Dorsey
DMS Perry
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Ta'u at 150,159

Japanese Ships
SS I-22

Allied Ships
DE Ward
AK Mercury
DD Worden
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Ta'u at 150,160

Japanese Ships
SS I-168, hits 1

Allied Ships
AK Oberon, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
DD Phelps
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Pago Pago at 149,160

Japanese Ships
SS I-10

Allied Ships
DD Phelps
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submarine attack near Ta'u at 151,160

Japanese Ships
SS I-4

Allied Ships
xAK City of Rayville, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage SINKS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Ta'u at 150,160

Japanese Ships
SS I-168, hits 1

Allied Ships
AM Bobolink

Captain of SS I-168 elects not to launch torpedoes at this target Huh? An let him shoot at you instead?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Pago Pago at 148,159

Japanese Ships
SS I-16

Allied Ships
DD Bancroft
BB Washington
CL Helena
DD Bailey
DD Gillespie
DD Gansevoort
DD Frazier

So, now with the Sub action out of the way, on with the real show. I lost a lot of recon AC to enemy CAP today. I have changed their altitude to 20,000 feet. I hope that helps for tomorrow without costing me in terms of spotting.

For both the morning and afternoon attacks listed here I got very good coordination. Both the fighters at Savii and those at Upolu escorted the raids. The Tojo's acquitted themselves quite well though they were not able to keep all of the enemy CAP away from the bombers. CAP was lighter today, probably because we went after the enemy CVEs rather than the CVs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Pago Pago at 148,160
Weather in hex: Light cloud
Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 45 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D3A1 Val x 21
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 37

Allied aircraft
F4F-3A Wildcat x 9
F4F-4 Wildcat x 43

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 10 destroyed, 2 damaged
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
CVE Suwannee, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CVE Chenango
CVE Sangamon

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
1 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
1 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'

Maybe I should have set CAP to 0%, but I was afraid that in the event of non-coordination, my bombers would not have any protection at all. Thus, 10 Tojo's ended up flying over to Pago-Pago to intercept the B-17s.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Pago Pago , at 148,161
Weather in hex: Moderate rain
Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 10

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 23

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 4 damaged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Pago Pago at 148,160
Weather in hex: Light rain
Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 45 minutes

Japanese aircraft
D3A1 Val x 3
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 22

Allied aircraft
F4F-3A Wildcat x 8
F4F-4 Wildcat x 27

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 3 destroyed

The Kates did not fly. In looking at the leader's stats, I found that he was probably the least aggressive leader in the Japanese armed forces. His air skills were also abysmal. Why do the programmers make us waste PPs by assigning these idiots to lead squadrons? Anyway, I changed him for someone else who had better air skills, though I also tried to find someone who was not very aggressive either, which is when I found out they are ALL aggressive! But that change will not take effect for four days. So will they attack tomorrow? Who knows? At any rate, I evacuated the Vals. That formation now needs to be rebuilt.

I also decided that I will not try to employ my cruisers. They are going back to Luganville. I am quite confident my opponent will provide heavy cover for his invasion forces.

What is interesting is that he is going for Savii and Upolu, not Pago-Pago. The first two of those are lightly held with only an SNLF unit each while Pago-Pago is garrisoned by the 65th Brigade. He obviously knows where I am weaker and has elected to take out those islands first. But I wonder why? Is this part of a by-pass strategy? Is he holding more troops in reserve for an immediate thrust towards Fiji? Surely he has enough to deal with the 65th Brigade, which is only 250 assault points.

Image
Attachments
SomoaDay2.jpg
SomoaDay2.jpg (88.85 KiB) Viewed 304 times
User avatar
CarnageINC
Posts: 2208
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:47 am
Location: Rapid City SD

RE: Invasion: Somoa

Post by CarnageINC »

It appears that this is his initial main thrust and not a diversion, do you agree or do you think he will follow up on DEI after he sees your carrier comment?  
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Landings at Samoa

Post by CapAndGown »

Jan. 17, 1943

This turn the allies came ashore at Savii and Upolu. Witpqs is using lots of tiny little TFs to land the troops. Not sure why. I don't see any advantage in that and many possible liabilities compared to using larger TFs.

Our subs were able to sink one allied transport, apparently a supply ship.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submarine attack near Pago Pago at 149,159

Japanese Ships
SS I-171

Allied Ships
xAK Sawokla, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage SUNK

Today it was the Kates turn to attack. None made it through the enemy CAP, but again, the Tojos acquitted themselves quite well.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Upolu at 147,160
Weather in hex: Moderate rain
Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 51 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 21
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 5

Allied aircraft
F4F-3A Wildcat x 8
F4F-4 Wildcat x 34

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 12 destroyed
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3A Wildcat: 1 destroyed
F4F-4 Wildcat: 3 destroyed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Upolu at 147,160
Weather in hex: Partial cloud
Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 51 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 3
Ki-44-IIa Tojo x 8

Allied aircraft
F4F-3A Wildcat x 7
F4F-4 Wildcat x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIa Tojo: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 1 destroyed

I have now withdrawn all AC from the Somoa Islands since I expect both Upolu and Savii to fall tomorrow. My bombardment attack showed that the allies brought a sledgehammer to swat a fly:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Savaii (146,159)
Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 1421 troops, 12 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 73
Defending force 11656 troops, 269 guns, 349 vehicles, Assault Value = 647

Japanese ground losses:
41 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 1 (0 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Assaulting units:
52nd Naval Guard Unit
36th JNAF AF Unit
50th JNAF AF Unit

Defending units:
2nd USMC Tank Bn /317
27th Infantry Div /318
132nd Infantry Rgt /317
164th Infantry Rgt /317
182nd Infantry Rgt /317
181st FA Rgt /317
249th FA Bn /317
226th FA Bn /317

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Upolu (147,160)
Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 1435 troops, 9 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 62
Defending force 12017 troops, 231 guns, 446 vehicles, Assault Value = 458

Assaulting units:
63rd Naval Guard Unit
5th Air Division
48th Road Const Co
50th JNAF Coy

Defending units:
754th Tank Bn /317
627th TD Bn /317
41st Infantry Div /317
225th FA Bn /317
223rd FA Bn /317

More cadres were air evaced today and more will be evaced tomorrow.

Except for the final, inevitable capture of Upolu and Savii tomorrow, this operation appears to have come to a conclusion, at least from the Japanese perspective. My next task will be to ship out some of the cadres I have saved to Rabaul where they can be rebuilt. Lord knows I need every aviation and SNLF unit I can get!

I imagine that B-17s will be moved into those bases as soon as they are captured and the allies will start bombing Fiji. This time, however, unlike at Somoa, I will have a good deal of fighter support available. This is one of the advantages of losing territory: more concentrated forces. [;)]

While I was not able to cause the allies much damage, I am rather sanguine about the entire operation. I don't care that much about Somoa. I did cause some damage. And most importantly, I was able to have a demonstration of my concept of defense: the Tojo's did a good job of eroding the allied CAP. If I had more of them concentrated there, they would have done an even better job. By tomorrow, if I had my CVs in the area, my carriers would have a good shot in attacking the enemy. But since Somoa is not my line-in-the-sand that will not happen. I will continue holding off on using my CVs until a more opportune moment and place. The one thing this operation did show is that I need more aviation support to make my concept work.

BTW: I also will now find out once and for all if Air HQs respawn.

Image
Attachments
SomoaDay3.jpg
SomoaDay3.jpg (46.42 KiB) Viewed 304 times
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Invasion: Somoa

Post by CapAndGown »

ORIGINAL: CarnageINC

It appears that this is his initial main thrust and not a diversion, do you agree or do you think he will follow up on DEI after he sees your carrier comment?  

What carrier comment?

This does appear to be his main thrust. However, the Royal Navy carriers are still not accounted for. Thus, it is still possible that he could attempt some sort of invasion of the DEI or the Kra Isthmus. So most of my carriers will remain stationed around Singapore just in case.

I am, however, going to stage a raid into the deep Indian Ocean using my CVEs and one section of my fleet carriers. Now that my subs have sunk two TKs down there witpqs has probably set his convoys to use alternate routes by use of waypoints. Thus, my subs will probably not find anything down there anymore. So I am going hunting with carriers instead. Who knows, maybe by revealing the presence of some of my carriers, I may elicit a reaction from the Royal Navy.
User avatar
CarnageINC
Posts: 2208
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:47 am
Location: Rapid City SD

RE: Invasion: Somoa

Post by CarnageINC »

LOL...I meant to say carrier commitment....LOL [:D]
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

The Empire Strikes Back

Post by CapAndGown »

Jan. 18, 1943

The highlights of this turn were the fall of Savii, the first deliberate attack at Upolu, and a raid on Exmouth.

The turn started with our subs around Samoa taking more shots at the enemy. Only one shot scored. Too bad we missed the CL! The following are only a small portion of the sub and ASW attacks that took place. All the others were of little interest.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submarine attack near Savaii at 147,159
Japanese Ships
SS I-10

Allied Ships
xAK Fairland, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Ta'u at 150,159
Japanese Ships
SS I-22, hits 3

Allied Ships
CL Columbia
CL Cleveland
DD Fanning
DD Drayton
DD Cummings
DD Mahan

SS I-22 launches 6 torpedoes at CL Columbia (6 and they still miss!)

Next up was a surface raid against Exmouth. My Emily's at Port Hedland had spotted some shipping coming and going from Exmouth, so I decided I would attempt a quick in-and-out. A CL and some DDs were based at Banjowangi waiting for the next allied convoy to make a call on Exmouth. When I got word they were on the way, I sortied the small TF. I kept it very small to try to avoid detection. It worked. But I did not find one enemy convoy, I found two! Getting surface raiders in amongst merchant ships and light escorts usually means a slaughter, and that is precisely what happened.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Exmouth at 50,129, Range 8,000 Yards
Japanese Ships
CL Agano
DD Minekaze
DD Sawakaze

Allied Ships
AM Latrobe, Shell hits 6, and is sunk
AM Lithgow, Shell hits 4, and is sunk
xAKL Lee Sang, Shell hits 26, and is sunk
xAKL Lorinna, Shell hits 8, and is sunk
xAP Rooseboom, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAP Siberg, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
Guns lost 3 (3 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 42 (19 destroyed, 23 disabled)

Combat ends with last Allied ship sunk...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Exmouth at 50,129, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Agano
DD Minekaze
DD Sawakaze

Allied Ships
AM Ipswitch
AM Mildura, Shell hits 9, heavy fires, heavy damage
AM Wollongong, Shell hits 8, and is sunk
xAP Darvel, Shell hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Joan Moller, Shell hits 12, heavy fires
xAP Kanchow, Shell hits 9, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Kwangtung, Shell hits 9, heavy fires, heavy damage
PC Formalhaut, Shell hits 16, and is sunk
PC Tydeman, Shell hits 10, and is sunk


Allied ground losses:
Vehicles lost 22 (11 destroyed, 11 disabled)

Although a lots of these shell hits were by 25mm AA guns, my sense is that all of these ships except the Ipswitch sank. The Ipswitch was probably hightailing it out of there as fast as they could.

As the final act of the day, the allies captured Savii, even though they did not kill everyone there. They also launched an attack at Upolu and achieved 3-1 odds and dropped the fort to level 2. The attack at Savii was a shock attack while at Upolu it was a deliberate attack. But the real difference was that I was able to evac a large portion of the Naval Guard unit at Savii, leaving the defenses severely weakened.

I am also evacing the JNAF aviation battalion at Pago-Pago. Basically, I have cadres of just about everyone on those three islands back at Fiji ready to be rebuilt.


Image
Attachments
TheEmpire..kesBack.jpg
TheEmpire..kesBack.jpg (107.2 KiB) Viewed 304 times
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: The Empire Strikes Back

Post by CapAndGown »

Jan. 20, 1943

I forgot to post a report about this, since it was a foregone occurrence, but Upolu was captured by the allies yesterday. Recon reports that both Savaii and Upolu are heavily stocked with fighters, bombers, base forces, and seabees. Indeed, Savaii looks to be over-stacked at the moment.

I lost a sub today. They are not accomplishing much.

The allied CVs appear to be heading back to Tahiti to restock.

According to an email from witpqs, the allied CVs were never in Australia as I had thought. Rather, they were covering a convoy transiting my picket line and were spotted by my subs, but then immediately retreated to the east. They were not really head west. So much for my intelligence coup. [8|]
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: The Empire Strikes Back

Post by CapAndGown »

Jan. 21, 1943

Taue was invaded by 3 marine raider battalions and an army regiment. They are up against an SNLF unit with 60 assault value. I think witpqs may be disappointed by the results, although the soft attack value of US squads is twice that of japanese squads.
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: The Empire Strikes Back

Post by CapAndGown »

Jan. 24, 1943

Taue fell today. The main reason it fell to the first attack, despite level three forts and jungle terrain was the SNLF unit was almost destroyed by B-17s. While the disruption caused by air attacks I can accept, and of course some casualties, this level of destruction is not very believable. Artillery could not do the job these B-17s did, not against dug-in troops (and probably not against troops moving over open ground when bombing from 13,000 feet.) Perhaps witpqs managed to get a shipment of JDAMs. [8|]
bklooste
Posts: 1104
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:47 am

RE: The Empire Strikes Back

Post by bklooste »

Small sub division sized units seem very vulnerable to bombing ..
Underdog Fanboy
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Special Attack unit not so Special

Post by CapAndGown »

Jan. 26, 1943

I decided to try an experiment. I wanted to see if I could get some Bettys based at Suva to sneak in under allied radar for a naval attack on shipping in Savii. So I divided a Sentai of Betty's into 9 plane chutai's and set one of them to Naval Attack with a range of 17 and an altitude of 100 feet. (The others have been purposefully limited to 9 hexes so that they will only attack targets within range of their Zero escorts.) Didn't work. The attack was spotted at 80 miles distance and the allies had 28 minutes warning time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on TF, near Savaii at 146,159
Weather in hex: Moderate rain
Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 28 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 9

Allied aircraft
P-39D Airacobra x 12
P-40E Warhawk x 2
P-40K Warhawk x 8
F4F-3 Wildcat x 7
F4F-4 Wildcat x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 6 destroyed

Not going to try that again! I figured this would happen, that's why I only wasted 9 planes on the experiment.

Over in China I captured Liuchow today. Next target is Nanning. After capturing Luichow I found out that not only did it have 40 light industry, but it also had an inherent 40 supply. So that is 80 less supply for the Chinese.

Another allied TF is delivering stuff to Exmouth. I was thinking that witpqs might try to set up an ambush by having a SAG stand off with a reaction setting. Sure enough, today my Emily's at Port Hedland spotted some ships just north of Carnavon. I'll just bet they are part of a SAG. I may have a surprise of my own in store for them.

Image
Attachments
SouthChina.jpg
SouthChina.jpg (147.01 KiB) Viewed 304 times
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Special Attack unit not so Special

Post by CapAndGown »

Jan. 29, 1943

We will launch a deliberate attack at Nanning tomorrow. Hopefully this won't take to long. I need to guard against a possible counter-offensive coming out of Kweilin.

The allies have now reconned Baker and Canton Islands again after leaving them be for a good long time. So now witpqs knows that they are unoccupied. If he is smart, he will send in some fast transports to take these islands with minimal force. Recon showed up over Fiji for the first time today. Do you suppose he'll go for Fiji next?

I am about to launch some merchant raiding operations in both the Pacific and Indian Oceans.

Pacific Operation: The Tone and Chikuma, plus my four Akitsuki class DDs (endurance 8300) have just refueled from some xAKs north of Midway. They will now head down into the shipping lanes off the US west coast. With 5 Jake's a piece, hopefully we will spot some juicy target. The xAKs will remain on station in order to refuel the raiders on their return trip.

Indian Ocean Operation: This one is much more complicated. The following TFs are involved:

Reinforcement Group: CV Kaga, Akagi; CVL Ryuho, Ryujo; BB Kongo, Haruna; CLAA Tenryu; 9xDD
Cover Group: CV Zuikaku, Junyo, Hiyo; CVL Shoho; CS Nishin, 9xDD
Strike Group: CVE Taiyo, Unyo, Chuyo; CS Mizuho; 3xDD; 5xAPD
Search Groups: AV Sanuki, Sanyo
Replenishment group: 6xE; 10xAO
Picket: PB

The AVs will head south searching for convoys, one to the west, one to the east. The CVE group will be in the middle. The Cover Group will hold station west of Perth. A picket ship will be stationed on my eastern flank. After considering the situation some more, became worried that the RN CVs might be based at Perth. I am not sure the cover group could take them on its own. So I decided to sortie another carrier TF from Oosthaven just in case. Too bad I didn't think of this a while ago. Hopefully the picket ship will give me some warning in case RN CVs show up before the reinforcement group arrives.

I apologize for the muddy quality of the picture. My screen capture program doesn't take the best shots.


Image
Attachments
MerchantRaiders.jpg
MerchantRaiders.jpg (67.68 KiB) Viewed 304 times
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Special Attack unit not so Special

Post by CapAndGown »

Jan. 30, 1943

First attack at Nanning failed with 1-2 odds and twice as many Japanese casualties as Chinese. The forts came down to level 2. Disruption is not that high, so I will attack again tomorrow. I suspect I got a bad die roll this turn.
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Special Attack unit not so Special

Post by CapAndGown »

Feb. 2, 1943

Nanning was captured today. Kweilin has been reinforced quite a bit-about 45,000 men. Probably too tough a nut to crack, so I will simply set up a defensive screen and leave it alone.

Witpqs notified me that this next turn will take a long time to issue orders. I guess another invasion is on the way. This time I have no clue as to where he might go. Baker and Canton can be picked up on the cheap; there is no reason to involve the CVs. OTOH, he hasn't reconned Fiji very much, just Savusavu. I don't think he will invade anywhere without first reconning the place. That would seem to indicate that northern Australia might be next, maybe Port Hedland, since he has thoroughly reconned all the bases everything from Darwin on over to Port Hedland.

So far my merchant raids have not turned up anything. I'll give it a few days to see if someone wanders by.


Image
Attachments
MerchantRaidII.jpg
MerchantRaidII.jpg (53.7 KiB) Viewed 304 times
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Troop Convoy Massacred

Post by CapAndGown »

Feb. 3, 1943

Our cruisers patrolling the San Fransisco-Hawaii convoy route found and demolished a troop convoy. The Chikuma TF used up its ammo and is returning to base. The Tone TF will attempt to finish off the estimated two cripples tomorrow and then retire. DD Teruzuki took a couple of hits and has 14 float damage.

During the night the allies were pretty much able to escape, although DD Hobby took 4 hits. During the day phase, however, the troop convoy was demolished. First the Chikuma group hit the convoy. Then the Tone group took on the less damaged ships. The other ships, apparently, were split off after the first action. Those ships are the ones I am going to trying to finish off tomorrow.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near San Francisco at 205,88, Range 15,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Chikuma
DD Akizuki
DD Teruzuki, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
DD Hobby, Shell hits 5, on fire
xAK Iron Chieftan, Shell hits 8
xAK Iron King, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Iron Knight, Shell hits 3
xAK Suva, Shell hits 8, heavy fires
xAK Aspasia Nomikos, Shell hits 3, on fire
xAK Chios, Shell hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Evi Livanos, Shell hits 8, on fire
xAK Mary Livanos, Shell hits 8, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
682 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 18 destroyed, 117 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near San Francisco at 203,89, Range 14,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Tone
DD Susuzuki
DD Hatsuzuki

Allied Ships
xAK Iron Chieftan, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Iron Knight, Shell hits 19, and is sunk
xAK Aspasia Nomikos, Shell hits 20, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Evi Livanos, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
473 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 32 destroyed, 59 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Combat ends with last Allied ship sunk...

Meanwhile, down in the southwest corner of the map my Indian Ocean raiders spotted an allied TF of unknown composition. My hope is that witpqs thinks that the plane that spotted them is flying off a sub. If he does not retreat that TF to Capetown it will be slaughtered tomorrow by my CVE based Vals.


Image
Attachments
MerchantRaidIII.jpg
MerchantRaidIII.jpg (48.67 KiB) Viewed 304 times
User avatar
CarnageINC
Posts: 2208
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:47 am
Location: Rapid City SD

RE: Troop Convoy Massacred

Post by CarnageINC »

Nice deep strike with your surface units [;)]
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”