Best Bulge Books?

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

User avatar
Magpius
Posts: 1764
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Best Bulge Books?

Post by Magpius »

I'm looking for a good (still in print) reference book on the battles depicted in the game.
There are a few listed on Amazon, but I'd like some opinions before I order.
thanx

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit". -New Order
User avatar
Adam Parker
Posts: 1848
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:05 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by Adam Parker »

Wow, I was going to recommend Hitler's Last Gamble as the classic operatonal level book but Amazon lists it as out of print!

John Toland's book Battle the Story of the Bulge would be my next recommendation for an easy to read treatment.

Followed by the classic A Time for Trumpets which is a thicker text but has equally stood the test of time.
User avatar
Adam Parker
Posts: 1848
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:05 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by Adam Parker »

Oooh this new one looks good too for a glimpse as to what's within those BFtB maps:

The Battle of the Bulge: The Photographic History of an American Triumph

I might pick that one up.

And I know it's OT but this imo is the best Bulge book ever - weighs a ton:

Battle of the Bulge Then and Now
User avatar
Hertston
Posts: 3317
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:45 pm
Location: Cornwall, UK

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

Wow, I was going to recommend Hitler's Last Gamble as the classic operatonal level book but Amazon lists it as out of print!

Well worth getting as a reference source to accompany the game; just don't try and make it bedtime reading unless you suffer from insomnia!

Regarding availability I had a quick look on ebay and there are several copies there at very reasonable prices.
User avatar
Arjuna
Posts: 17768
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Contact:

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by Arjuna »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

Oooh this new one looks good too for a glimpse as to what's within those BFtB maps:

The Battle of the Bulge: The Photographic History of an American Triumph

I might pick that one up.
Hey I just went to that link and was surprised to see that the image on the cover of their book is the same one we're using for BFTB. [:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
User avatar
simovitch
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by simovitch »

A Time for Trumpets is my all time favorite. Check the Bibliography in the User's Manual.

There's a link there to Cole's The Ardennes: The Battle of the Bulge online, with maps and everything.
simovitch

User avatar
Llyranor
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:33 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by Llyranor »

A Time for Trumpets is excellent. Top recommendation if you only get one book on the Bulge. Great on human atmosphere, while not slacking off on the details. Maps are good and help you keep track of what's going on.

Currently reading Dupuy's Hitler's Last Gamble and enjoying it. It's pretty detailed. Haven't had a problem with it being 'dry', either. Maps are good. I think this does a good job of helping you keep an eye on the bigger picture by how it segments its chapters and maps. It's only out-of-print officially through Amazon itself; plenty of Amazon Marketplace sellers still sell it new at a very reasonable price.

Haven't read through Cole's official history yet, but the maps are really great there. Though, apparently the book errs a bit on some of the German data.

I also have Battle of the Bulge: Then and Now. Huge book with lots of pictures, but I can't comment on the text yet as I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Some people have recommended Danny Parker's 'Battle of the Bulge'. It was an okay read, but I wouldn't outright recommend it. The book tries to keep you into the bigger picture (talks mostly about divisions), but it was hard to keep track of what was where, but a lot of the towns and villages mentioned in the text couldn't even be found on the maps. Detailed maps are very important to me, and while those here aren't bad (it does show the flow of the entire battle chronologically), it didn't correlate well with the text. Also, for the paperback version I have, one of the maps is missing (there's a duplicate instead). The highlight of the book is some of the sections that focus on specific aspects: eg. weather, Tiger sightings, etc. That, the book did well.
User avatar
Capt Cliff
Posts: 1714
Joined: Wed May 22, 2002 4:48 pm
Location: Northwest, USA

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by Capt Cliff »

The Bitter Wood's by John Eisenhower is excellant.
Capt. Cliff
daft
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat May 18, 2002 4:05 pm

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by daft »

Hitler's Last Gamble by Trevor N Dupuy will either make you cream your pants or break down and cry. I like it, but it is rather heavy and confusing at times.
User avatar
simovitch
Posts: 5950
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by simovitch »

For me, reading Dupuy's book was a laborious effort after the elegance of MacDonald's 'Trumpets'. Both have some minor factual errors, as does Cole which is now quite dated.

Parker, for what it's worth was a good read because he covers some interesting but obscure aspects of the bulge. And I think Parker does his research and get's his facts straight better than most. The Bulge 'then and now' is well researched as well.
simovitch

User avatar
krishub1492
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location:

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by krishub1492 »

I have a few recommendations.

Corps Commanders of the Bulge

http://www.amazon.com/Corps-Commanders- ... 183&sr=1-1

A view of the battle from the Corps Commander level. Could be useful for some of the larger scenarios.

Alamo in the Ardennes

http://www.amazon.com/Alamo-Ardennes-Am ... 268&sr=1-3

Great book about the early days of the battle regarding the road to Bastogne. A lot of info about the 28th Infantry Division and 10th Armored CCB prior to the arrival of the 101st Airborne Division.

Battle East of Elsenborn

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-East-Elsen ... t_ep_dpi_2

Details the fight to defend Rocherath-Krinkelt but the 99th and 2nd Infantry Divisions.

Generals of the Ardennes

http://www.amazon.com/Generals-Ardennes ... 650&sr=1-1

Focus on American generals in the battle from SHAEF to division level. Particularly interesting for the details on General Jones of the 106th Infantry Division and General Clarke of the 7th Armored Division.
User avatar
Magpius
Posts: 1764
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by Magpius »

Thanks for the tips, I guess I was trying to place the scenarios into a greater historical context.
I know it has been said earlier, but It would have been good if the scenario list in-game was chronological, to get a sense of the overall progression/ desperation, while playing through them.
I've started with Hitler's Last Gamble, but will certainly try others based on your comments.
cheers.
-any equivalent websites while I'm waiting for delivery?

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit". -New Order
Arimus
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:05 pm

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by Arimus »

Wasn't there a book about the 28th ID during the Bulge called "Follow me and die"?
 
User avatar
Toby42
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:34 pm
Location: Central Florida

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: Arimus

Wasn't there a book about the 28th ID during the Bulge called "Follow me and die"?

I have the book. My Father was in the 28th. If I remember (I'll have to check) the book deals with the Hurtgen Forest where the 28th was beat up pretty bad and sent to the Ardennes to re-build!!!

My Dad passed away last year. I miss his "War" Stories.....
Tony
Arimus
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:05 pm

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by Arimus »

Sorry to hear that Treale...
 
I served as an infantry platoon leader in the 28th in the late 80's (Bedford unit). I remember getting chastised by my fellow officers for force marching my platoon in the rain and not attending "staff meetings" at the VFW while the unit was in the field. "Follow me and die" indeed.
User avatar
Toby42
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:34 pm
Location: Central Florida

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: Arimus

Sorry to hear that Treale...

I served as an infantry platoon leader in the 28th in the late 80's (Bedford unit). I remember getting chastised by my fellow officers for force marching my platoon in the rain and not attending "staff meetings" at the VFW while the unit was in the field. "Follow me and die" indeed.

Thank You. Dad made it over to Harrisburg for one of the re-unions. He had a great time and talked about it always! He was amazed at how well they treated the WWII Vets.

His stories of the Hurtgen Forest were something to hear. I wish now that I had recorded all of his stories! Dad wasn't much of a reader, but he borrowed my copy of "Follow Me and Die" and read it through several times. He remarked on how accurate it was...
Tony
User avatar
Adam Parker
Posts: 1848
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:05 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by Adam Parker »

Is it a curious thing that since the release of BFtB, many Bulge books on Amazon are running in low supply?

Anyway, I came across and bought one I haven't seen before that puts a very different spin on what might go on once the game's strategies are set, orders placed and the clock run:

The Unknown Dead: Civilians in the Battle of the Bulge. It covers the entire campaign with a depth of operational narrative combined with an insight as to the happenings within the locations across the map that many at the time considered terra nullius.

I'm currently reading The Devil's Adjutant which covers the action in the north through the travails of KG Peiper.

After this I'm moving onto Alamo in the Ardennes that covers the fight in the south.

Another very curious book I was tempted to examine was Last Assault 1944 - The Battle of the Bulge Reassessed, by the prolific Charles Whiting. In it the author debunks two of his previous titles and declares that the Allies knew of the forthcoming Ardennes Offensive but Eisenhower wanted to goad the German's into the open by appearing weak. As a result the 106th infantry Division was used as bait around St Vith and hence, sacrificed for a greater good. Controversial to say the least!

I do however, warn people away from the book below. Surprisingly it has no tanks.


Image
Attachments
BBBook.jpg
BBBook.jpg (61.29 KiB) Viewed 976 times
User avatar
Plodder
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:56 pm
Location: New Zealand

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by Plodder »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

Another very curious book I was tempted to examine was Last Assault 1944 - The Battle of the Bulge Reassessed, by the prolific Charles Whiting. In it the author debunks two of his previous titles and declares that the Allies knew of the forthcoming Ardennes Offensive but Eisenhower wanted to goad the German's into the open by appearing weak. As a result the 106th infantry Division was used as bait around St Vith and hence, sacrificed for a greater good. Controversial to say the least!

Don't bother, He offers nothing new and doesn't substantiate his claims at all.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
User avatar
Magpius
Posts: 1764
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by Magpius »

@simovitch,
[X(]
what a link!
great maps
huge detail.
thanks
[&o]


"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit". -New Order
User avatar
Adam Parker
Posts: 1848
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:05 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

RE: Best Bulge Books?

Post by Adam Parker »

Here's another great free link. In reading The Devil's Adjutant about Peiper, the author stated that his professional interest in the Bulge stemmed from his wife bringing home a book in 1970 on the exploits of the US 291st Engineers. Here it is in full, digitised and and free:

The Damned Engineers, by Janice H. Giles
Post Reply

Return to “Command Ops Series”