Reluctant Admiral Feedback
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
In RA the 47th starts with 12 Ki-44 under command of Maj Sakagawa in Saigon.
Guess that certainly works!
Guess that certainly works!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
ORIGINAL: John 3rd
In RA the 47th starts with 12 Ki-44 under command of Maj Sakagawa in Saigon.
Guess that certainly works!
Great ..
Underdog Fanboy
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
ORIGINAL: John 3rd
1. I think there needs to be some sort of enticement for an Allied player. If I had my druthers, I would leave things like they are due to the fact we know the Americans will crush Japan anyway, however, adding a little bit to the OOB as an emergency program makes sense and will be highly anticipated by the American players...
IMHO The best enticements for the allied player are non naval and especially non CV. Suggestions have been made earlier .
- More TK at start
- a marine reg or Australian Brigade in theater earlier etc
The game gets boring once the US fleet gets all powerfull.
Underdog Fanboy
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
One more thing the CVE attached to BAT1 was scheduled to sail to the Bonin islands and provided cover for the BBs from Dec 8-9 , Not sure if this is Honsho or Taiyo ( prob the latter) however in AE stock there are no fighter units i can move on this because its restricted.
Underdog Fanboy
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
I start the CVEs with air groups on board. I think Hosho has her normal 12 Zero and 6 Kates while Taiyo has 9 Zero and 12 Vals. Not much but it is something at the start of the war. They both start at Babeldoap.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
ORIGINAL: John 3rd
I start the CVEs with air groups on board. I think Hosho has her normal 12 Zero and 6 Kates while Taiyo has 9 Zero and 12 Vals. Not much but it is something at the start of the war. They both start at Babeldoap.
Thats fine another stock issue resolved
Ben
Underdog Fanboy
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
John 3rd,
I hate China too! I would be perfectly happy to leave it just as a quite area, but in stock the Japanese have the power to push the Chinese around easily. To have a game where Malaya and Palembang are flattened in the first week, as the Japanese have the power to do, and in addition to that the Chinese are destroyed as a fighting force by the end of December is not an enticing prospect for an allied player. In our game, FatR has been able to utterly rout the Chinese forces in the North, despite their much increased strength, although the Chinese are on the move in the south, where it appears the Chinese are significantly overpowered.
I haven`t looked into the editor at all. Does it provide any disincentive for the allied player not to use his ships that are due to be withdrawn on dangerous missions, besides of course from the victory points lost? It would be very tempting to use a theoretical Ranger task force on a suicide mission somewhere in the DEI.
Bklooste,
The two CVEs that start at Badelbaob both have their own airgroups, and are a formidable force in their own right at the game start. FatR used them in the Philippines and around Manado, their Zeroes should be able to shoot down anything that attacks them, and they make getting anything at all out of Manila a very difficult challenge indeed.
I hate China too! I would be perfectly happy to leave it just as a quite area, but in stock the Japanese have the power to push the Chinese around easily. To have a game where Malaya and Palembang are flattened in the first week, as the Japanese have the power to do, and in addition to that the Chinese are destroyed as a fighting force by the end of December is not an enticing prospect for an allied player. In our game, FatR has been able to utterly rout the Chinese forces in the North, despite their much increased strength, although the Chinese are on the move in the south, where it appears the Chinese are significantly overpowered.
I haven`t looked into the editor at all. Does it provide any disincentive for the allied player not to use his ships that are due to be withdrawn on dangerous missions, besides of course from the victory points lost? It would be very tempting to use a theoretical Ranger task force on a suicide mission somewhere in the DEI.
Bklooste,
The two CVEs that start at Badelbaob both have their own airgroups, and are a formidable force in their own right at the game start. FatR used them in the Philippines and around Manado, their Zeroes should be able to shoot down anything that attacks them, and they make getting anything at all out of Manila a very difficult challenge indeed.
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
John what sort of skill levels are those free CVE pilots ?
Underdog Fanboy
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
Yubari--The Victory Point negative is the only real thing tyo keep an Allied Player from doing a suicide run as you describe. This is why I think adding a couple of CVL/CVE is a far better choice.
Do you think it adds a bit more incentive to play as the Allied person?
BK--Hosho had her normal Air Complement while I pulled those planes from two small Chutai and assigned them to Taiyo. Didn't understand your point 'til right now about having permanent groups assigned to the CVE. Is there ANY record of what was assigned to these CVE? If so, I would happily put something on them...
Juan--Haven't heard from you recently. What is your status Sir?
Do you think it adds a bit more incentive to play as the Allied person?
BK--Hosho had her normal Air Complement while I pulled those planes from two small Chutai and assigned them to Taiyo. Didn't understand your point 'til right now about having permanent groups assigned to the CVE. Is there ANY record of what was assigned to these CVE? If so, I would happily put something on them...
Juan--Haven't heard from you recently. What is your status Sir?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
ORIGINAL: yubari
John 3rd,
I hate China too! I would be perfectly happy to leave it just as a quite area, but in stock the Japanese have the power to push the Chinese around easily. To have a game where Malaya and Palembang are flattened in the first week, as the Japanese have the power to do, and in addition to that the Chinese are destroyed as a fighting force by the end of December is not an enticing prospect for an allied player. In our game, FatR has been able to utterly rout the Chinese forces in the North, despite their much increased strength, although the Chinese are on the move in the south, where it appears the Chinese are significantly overpowered.
I haven`t looked into the editor at all. Does it provide any disincentive for the allied player not to use his ships that are due to be withdrawn on dangerous missions, besides of course from the victory points lost? It would be very tempting to use a theoretical Ranger task force on a suicide mission somewhere in the DEI.
The strength of the Chinese here is not how strong they will be in 41/ early 42 ( since their low moral and exp will make them run and get massacred) but the fact that if they conserve supplies and fight lots ( in favourible terrain) they will take heavy losses but they will have a very experienced force in 43 ( provided you dont get cut off) when the Burma road is reopened ( Hard to stop) the supplies will flow and this force will be devistating in NVietnam and S China. .
Underdog Fanboy
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
ORIGINAL: John 3rd
Yubari--The Victory Point negative is the only real thing tyo keep an Allied Player from doing a suicide run as you describe. This is why I think adding a couple of CVL/CVE is a far better choice.
Do you think it adds a bit more incentive to play as the Allied person?
BK--Hosho had her normal Air Complement while I pulled those planes from two small Chutai and assigned them to Taiyo. Didn't understand your point 'til right now about having permanent groups assigned to the CVE. Is there ANY record of what was assigned to these CVE? If so, I would happily put something on them...
For teh allies to have counterplay in 42 they need tankers and troops at the moment the troops they have need to garrison key locations. With CVLs it will jsut shift the initiative / strategic balance.
re the CVE i know she was to provide CAP for the Battle fleet ( Combinbed fleet Battleships that sailed on Dec 8 for the Bonin Islands) , i imagine those pilots would be drawn from the Zero /Claude squadrons restricted in Japan.
The reason for my question was i dont think these pilots should be KB calliber so just checking .
Underdog Fanboy
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
BK--I agree regarding the experience quality of the pilots on the CVEs.
The addition of a pair of CVLs shouldn't affect thing too much. The CVLs starting 3 months early to come in allows for there to be some hope for the Allied player. Keep in mind that the American loses two early Cleveland-Class CLs so that is a draw back but the CVLs will be a nice addition at a lean time.
China in 1943-1944 is the real boondoggle with Version One's issue. Cannot stand. The Japanese will be driven out of China into Manchuria if those armies gain experience in 1941-1942 with their full strength. NOT gonna happen in Version Two.
As per the Thread elsewhere, I think I will have each Japanese CVE come in with an attached Kate Chutai of 9 planes. The Chutai cannot upgrade to Jill or Grace to reflect the CVE limitations. Other planes can be added but the Kates will be there to reflect the ASW component of their time.
The addition of a pair of CVLs shouldn't affect thing too much. The CVLs starting 3 months early to come in allows for there to be some hope for the Allied player. Keep in mind that the American loses two early Cleveland-Class CLs so that is a draw back but the CVLs will be a nice addition at a lean time.
China in 1943-1944 is the real boondoggle with Version One's issue. Cannot stand. The Japanese will be driven out of China into Manchuria if those armies gain experience in 1941-1942 with their full strength. NOT gonna happen in Version Two.
As per the Thread elsewhere, I think I will have each Japanese CVE come in with an attached Kate Chutai of 9 planes. The Chutai cannot upgrade to Jill or Grace to reflect the CVE limitations. Other planes can be added but the Kates will be there to reflect the ASW component of their time.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
How about pushing a couple of the Essex classes forwards a couple of months? Having the two carriers which normally arrive in July 1943 arrive instead in April or May would make things more interesting. That would give rough carrier parity between mid 1943 to the start of 1944.
A good idea with putting the Kates on the escort carriers. Maybe one of the home islands training units could be set to be withdrawn at the same time?
A good idea with putting the Kates on the escort carriers. Maybe one of the home islands training units could be set to be withdrawn at the same time?
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
I think the Essex idea deserves some thought, however, I figure they are already accelerated the moment the war begins on Dec 7th.
The Kate idea is excellent and will do exactly as you describe.
The Kate idea is excellent and will do exactly as you describe.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
This can be done only as a recommended houserule with PDU ON.ORIGINAL: John 3rd
As per the Thread elsewhere, I think I will have each Japanese CVE come in with an attached Kate Chutai of 9 planes. The Chutai cannot upgrade to Jill or Grace to reflect the CVE limitations. Other planes can be added but the Kates will be there to reflect the ASW component of their time.
I think Allies should be OK in the mid-game. Particularly with two extra CVLs. But if you want, you can accelerate arrival of Essexes so it roughly coincides with availability of Shokaku-kai carriers. What Allies need is some early-game bennies, like above-menetioned brigade loaded on transports and available for deployment in the Pacific, because Japanese get some serious starting advantages. Also, Chinese troops should be returned to their original size, but get some improvements in experience. Even with new garrizon requirements, it is too easy to steamroll them early in the game. Increased size of Chinese army is the only reason why Japanese meet any serious problems in my game against yubari.
The Reluctant Admiral mod team.
Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/
Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
ORIGINAL: FatR
This can be done only as a recommended houserule with PDU ON.ORIGINAL: John 3rd
As per the Thread elsewhere, I think I will have each Japanese CVE come in with an attached Kate Chutai of 9 planes. The Chutai cannot upgrade to Jill or Grace to reflect the CVE limitations. Other planes can be added but the Kates will be there to reflect the ASW component of their time.
I think Allies should be OK in the mid-game. Particularly with two extra CVLs. But if you want, you can accelerate arrival of Essexes so it roughly coincides with availability of Shokaku-kai carriers. What Allies need is some early-game bennies, like above-menetioned brigade loaded on transports and available for deployment in the Pacific, because Japanese get some serious starting advantages. Also, Chinese troops should be returned to their original size, but get some improvements in experience. Even with new garrizon requirements, it is too easy to steamroll them early in the game. Increased size of Chinese army is the only reason why Japanese meet any serious problems in my game against yubari.
Here is what the allies get in my game .. ( which has some more Japanese ships)
UK
A Brigade with shipping West of Burma
2 Huricane and a Beaufire squadrons in Burma from the 9th
SOme escorts for the BB ( CL and 2 DD)
US
2 more TK
4 more TK in mid 42.
1 BB
Option to upgrade Iowa to Montana
Some more aircraft
More west coast fuel and supplies at start
SOme Haiwaii airfields upgraded.
Regading China , suggest you increase the experience and morale of the artilliary unit this allows the chinese 1 poitn to defend or atatck as was done at CHangsha. I would bump the experience of the units at Ichang but frop their prep to 20 , they were just kicked out of ichang and they may be too strong.
Underdog Fanboy
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
I'd be curious how you rationalize "upgrading Iowas to Montanas"...[&:]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
Hi,
Sorry if this is somewhere else, but i'm about to start a campaign using the Reluctant Admiral Scen 70 version, and wanted to make sure that I have the latest version.
I've downloaded V3. Is this the correct latest version?
Thanks.
Sorry if this is somewhere else, but i'm about to start a campaign using the Reluctant Admiral Scen 70 version, and wanted to make sure that I have the latest version.
I've downloaded V3. Is this the correct latest version?
Thanks.
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
Falken and Rader--please wait a bit.
The Second major release will be done sometime soon. Juan G has the files to do the items detailed earlier and then I am going to make changes as described on the previous page. As soon as this is done then the revamped version will be Posted at the same location.
I hope this doesn't discourage you but the whole China issue is BIG and we want the Allied players will get a bit more due to realistic response to the superior Japanese force deployment and new warships.
Do you guys have any questions about the Mod or thoughts there since we are finishing the newest version?
The Second major release will be done sometime soon. Juan G has the files to do the items detailed earlier and then I am going to make changes as described on the previous page. As soon as this is done then the revamped version will be Posted at the same location.
I hope this doesn't discourage you but the whole China issue is BIG and we want the Allied players will get a bit more due to realistic response to the superior Japanese force deployment and new warships.
Do you guys have any questions about the Mod or thoughts there since we are finishing the newest version?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
RE: Reluctant Admiral Feedback
ORIGINAL: Terminus
I'd be curious how you rationalize "upgrading Iowas to Montanas"...[&:]
House rule ; can only done on the day they arrive and they go back in the dock for an upgrade to show the extra time.. My Scenario is based on exploring what would happen if teh US didnt tape the Japanese and they get 70% so they get the almsot finished Tosa and Kaga as BBs .. When 1935 hits The US plans for a more aggressive expansion to counter the imbalance ( they also help China and guarantee Vietnam to try to contain Japan) , it is very likely they would have built Montanas however some players may still prefer the Iowas.
Anyway this is about the Reluctant Admiral.
BTW my kids were on the ground laughing at your Avatar..[:)]
Underdog Fanboy

