Rare actions

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Cmdrcain
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Rebuilding FLA, Busy Repairing!
Contact:

Rare actions

Post by Cmdrcain »

Had a couple rare actions:

Hummm apparently you can have own ships blow up by accident


*Mine detonates close aboard ACM Oak at Brisbane*


Risky business, servicing mines..


also

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub vs Sub: SS Grampus attacking SS RO-65 at 99,133 - near Milne Bay

Japanese Ships
SS RO-65

Allied Ships
SS Grampus



SS Grampus launches 6 torpedoes at 2,000 yards


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Image
Battlestar Pegasus
Djordje
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:49 am

RE: Rare actions

Post by Djordje »

I wish I haven't seen those...
Been of the receiving end of both messages.
User avatar
Misconduct
Posts: 1851
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:13 am
Location: Cape Canaveral, Florida
Contact:

RE: Rare actions

Post by Misconduct »

I've been fortunate in my game against the allies I've sank more submarines from japanese subs then I have with ASW or aircraft...
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
User avatar
CapAndGown
Posts: 3078
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Virginia, USA

RE: Rare actions

Post by CapAndGown »

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

I've been fortunate in my game against the allies I've sank more submarines from japanese subs then I have with ASW or aircraft...

Yes, I have noticed that Japanese subs make a good ASW platform. Maybe they are Dallas class attack subs in disguise?

I have lost many ACMs to mine accidents. Cost of doing business.
User avatar
vonTirpitz
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:30 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC
Contact:

RE: Rare actions

Post by vonTirpitz »

I wonder if an aggressive commander increases the chances of accidents occurring? These events definitely add flavor and a little more "fun" to the game. [8D]
xAK Toho Maru hits reef at 132 , 115
Image
User avatar
Torplexed
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 10:37 am
Location: The Pacific

RE: Rare actions

Post by Torplexed »

ORIGINAL: Cmdrcain

Had a couple rare actions:

Hummm apparently you can have own ships blow up by accident

One word---Mutsu. [:D]
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Rare actions

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: vonTirpitz

I wonder if an aggressive commander increases the chances of accidents occurring? These events definitely add flavor and a little more "fun" to the game. [8D]
xAK Toho Maru hits reef at 132 , 115
I've gotten a variety of most of these messages. In this one, I think incompetent boobery rates higher than aggression for likelihood of running aground.[:-]
Image
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: Rare actions

Post by Canoerebel »

In my game with Q-Ball, Tokyo Rose recently announced that the "ever victorious Japanese navy" had met the Allied navy in combat, sinking four carriers, two battleships, three cruisers, and so on.
 
What actually happened was that a damaged Allied xAKL stumbled into the KB's hex and got sunk for it's trouble.
 
That's dadgum good work by the developers.
 
[:D]
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
Misconduct
Posts: 1851
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:13 am
Location: Cape Canaveral, Florida
Contact:

RE: Rare actions

Post by Misconduct »

Super CA? or CA that had a mixture of heroin and cocaine added to its armor? What I want to know is why the AI moved this warship, then tried to return to port once it got hit, usually it just keeps going which is a for sure sinking?

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 22, 41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Pearl Harbor at 186,96

Japanese Ships
SS I-171

Allied Ships
CA Indianapolis, Torpedo hits 2e
DD Allen



SS I-171 launches 4 torpedoes at CA Indianapolis
DD Allen fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub

Sub attack near Pearl Harbor at 181,105

Japanese Ships
SS I-4

Allied Ships
CA Indianapolis, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Allen



SS I-4 launches 4 torpedoes at CA Indianapolis
DD Allen fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Allen attacking submerged sub ....
DD Allen cannot reach attack position over SS I-4
SS I-4 eludes ASW attack from DD Allen
DD Allen loses contact with SS I-4
DD Allen cannot establish contact with SS I-4
DD Allen fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Allen fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Allen fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Pearl Harbor at 184,100

Japanese Ships
SS I-9

Allied Ships
CA Indianapolis, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Allen



SS I-9 launches 2 torpedoes at CA Indianapolis
I-9 diving deep ....
DD Allen fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Allen fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Allen fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Allen fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Allen fails to find sub, continues to search...
Escort abandons search for sub


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: Rare actions

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: vonTirpitz

I wonder if an aggressive commander increases the chances of accidents occurring? These events definitely add flavor and a little more "fun" to the game. [8D]
xAK Toho Maru hits reef at 132 , 115
I've gotten a variety of most of these messages. In this one, I think incompetent boobery rates higher than aggression for likelihood of running aground.[:-]



Carrier blows up and sinks after one torpedo hit![&:] Emily's torpedo and sink US battleship and cripple another? [&:]
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14531
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor aka Illlinois

RE: Rare actions

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

In my game with Q-Ball, Tokyo Rose recently announced that the "ever victorious Japanese navy" had met the Allied navy in combat, sinking four carriers, two battleships, three cruisers, and so on.

What actually happened was that a damaged Allied xAKL stumbled into the KB's hex and got sunk for it's trouble.

That's dadgum good work by the developers.

[:D]


It's what you call "Spin". [:D] That's what a PAO (Public affairs officer) does. [:D]
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: Rare actions

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: vonTirpitz

I wonder if an aggressive commander increases the chances of accidents occurring? These events definitely add flavor and a little more "fun" to the game. [8D]
xAK Toho Maru hits reef at 132 , 115
I've gotten a variety of most of these messages. In this one, I think incompetent boobery rates higher than aggression for likelihood of running aground.[:-]

Even competant skippers run aground when the charts are poop. Reading of the US side, early in the war, using high school geography books from US public schools to plan operations is off in la-la land. But it happened.

It's easy to forget, in our HS-students-jet-off-to-Europe-for-the-long-weekend culture just how small the world was to the average person in the 1930s. And how little the military thought about anything but glorious fleet actions in deep, open water.
The Moose
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Rare actions

Post by crsutton »

I have lost six Allied subs to Japanese subs while killing two with my own subs. So far it the subs have been his most effecive ASW weapon. Makes sense, in the real war highly skill Japanese sub crews using the latest radar technology had tremendous sucess locating and hunting down Allied subs which were notoriously noisy and had no radar....Oh wait a minute, the Japanese subs did not "actually" have radar, did they? Why this must be is another Jafantasy...[X(]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
John Lansford
Posts: 2664
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:40 am

RE: Rare actions

Post by John Lansford »

I had an Allied sub sunk by an IJN sub, and sank two of their's the same way.
 
Also seen "something is caught in the net" at several ports, usually when a midget sub attacks.  Lost an AS at Townsville this weekend that way.
 
I've seen ships collide while trying to get underway when my TF's raid a port.  Once saw a CA ram a DD in the middle of a close-in melee, fortunately it was the AI's not mine.
User avatar
Misconduct
Posts: 1851
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:13 am
Location: Cape Canaveral, Florida
Contact:

RE: Rare actions

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

I had an Allied sub sunk by an IJN sub, and sank two of their's the same way.

Also seen "something is caught in the net" at several ports, usually when a midget sub attacks.  Lost an AS at Townsville this weekend that way.

I've seen ships collide while trying to get underway when my TF's raid a port.  Once saw a CA ram a DD in the middle of a close-in melee, fortunately it was the AI's not mine.

I noticed when you have more ships in a TF chances seem to rise on this, for example I had about 4 CL's and a CA with 4 DD's attack a group of 8 transports (allies AI) and ended up having 2 of my DD's ram a CL however hardly any damage was taken.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
Lomri
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:09 pm

RE: Rare actions

Post by Lomri »


I had two DD's collide in a surface action. Huge damage, 90 float and some high number of engine damage. Luckily, 0 system damage. It limped back from Ambon to Darwin at 2 hexes a turn (mean while some of the other ships damaged by the surface action were sunk by ms Betty). Patched up accumulated sys damage from the long return, brought down minor float, and is limping to Perth still with high 60s float.

Man, 0 sys damage with allied damage control on and you can survive a real bad scene. 0 fires helped too I guess.
User avatar
Q-Ball
Posts: 7856
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:43 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

RE: Rare actions

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

In my game with Q-Ball, Tokyo Rose recently announced that the "ever victorious Japanese navy" had met the Allied navy in combat, sinking four carriers, two battleships, three cruisers, and so on.

What actually happened was that a damaged Allied xAKL stumbled into the KB's hex and got sunk for it's trouble.

That's dadgum good work by the developers.

[:D]

That is a typical Yankee Dog trick to question the veracity of Tokyo Radio, and you are just spouting colonialist propoganda.

We are sending the crew of that xAKL to a re-education camp on the Burmese border to work on a little project we have planned......
User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: Rare actions

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

I had an Allied sub sunk by an IJN sub, and sank two of their's the same way.

Also seen "something is caught in the net" at several ports, usually when a midget sub attacks.  Lost an AS at Townsville this weekend that way.

I've seen ships collide while trying to get underway when my TF's raid a port.  Once saw a CA ram a DD in the middle of a close-in melee, fortunately it was the AI's not mine.

Against the AI I've actually lost more ships to mines than ASW forces. Granted sending the mine capable I-Boats to mine Victoria, BC was probably a bad idea from the start. [:D]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Rare actions

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: vonTirpitz

I wonder if an aggressive commander increases the chances of accidents occurring? These events definitely add flavor and a little more "fun" to the game. [8D]

I've gotten a variety of most of these messages. In this one, I think incompetent boobery rates higher than aggression for likelihood of running aground.[:-]

Even competant skippers run aground when the charts are poop. Reading of the US side, early in the war, using high school geography books from US public schools to plan operations is off in la-la land. But it happened.

It's easy to forget, in our HS-students-jet-off-to-Europe-for-the-long-weekend culture just how small the world was to the average person in the 1930s. And how little the military thought about anything but glorious fleet actions in deep, open water.
Hi Bullwinkle,

IRL, I agree with your statement.

In the game, it seems as though-when I open up the turn with "xAKL Goofbarr Maru" running aground, I find the various nautical skills of the captain 'wanting'. I would venture that this has as much as anything to do with running aground.
Image
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Rare actions

Post by Chickenboy »

In one of my PBEM turns recently, I got the messsage that an airman had been 'found'.  I've 'lost' all sorts of airmen, but this guy must have been reported as lost and made his way back to friendly lines evading capture.  Wow!  Love the realism...
Image
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”