Rare actions

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: Rare actions

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy



I've gotten a variety of most of these messages. In this one, I think incompetent boobery rates higher than aggression for likelihood of running aground.[:-]

Even competant skippers run aground when the charts are poop. Reading of the US side, early in the war, using high school geography books from US public schools to plan operations is off in la-la land. But it happened.

It's easy to forget, in our HS-students-jet-off-to-Europe-for-the-long-weekend culture just how small the world was to the average person in the 1930s. And how little the military thought about anything but glorious fleet actions in deep, open water.
Hi Bullwinkle,

IRL, I agree with your statement.

In the game, it seems as though-when I open up the turn with "xAKL Goofbarr Maru" running aground, I find the various nautical skills of the captain 'wanting'. I would venture that this has as much as anything to do with running aground.

Only 'Goofbarr Maru'?

I tend to have 'Blind Leading the Blind Maru, Pratfall Maru, Two left Feet Maru, and the DD Clumsygumo. [8|]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
User avatar
m10bob
Posts: 8583
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:09 pm
Location: Dismal Seepage Indiana

RE: Rare actions

Post by m10bob »

IRL, an American TBF ditched at sea and its' "fish" armed, took off, and hit the DD Porter, eventually sinking her..
Image

User avatar
Misconduct
Posts: 1851
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:13 am
Location: Cape Canaveral, Florida
Contact:

RE: Rare actions

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

In my game with Q-Ball, Tokyo Rose recently announced that the "ever victorious Japanese navy" had met the Allied navy in combat, sinking four carriers, two battleships, three cruisers, and so on.

What actually happened was that a damaged Allied xAKL stumbled into the KB's hex and got sunk for it's trouble.

That's dadgum good work by the developers.

[:D]

That is a typical Yankee Dog trick to question the veracity of Tokyo Radio, and you are just spouting colonialist propoganda.

We are sending the crew of that xAKL to a re-education camp on the Burmese border to work on a little project we have planned......

You know even worst, I ran the KB from Truk around Moresby to help out in my Java invasion, only to see 15 single AKL's limping away from Java - naturally I get the Tokyo Radio broadcast every 15 seconds which is highly annoying.

I am learning to use the ESC key to speed up the process so Tokyo Rose can give it a rest until I actually SINK something higher then a destroyer.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: Rare actions

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy


Hi Bullwinkle,

IRL, I agree with your statement.

In the game, it seems as though-when I open up the turn with "xAKL Goofbarr Maru" running aground, I find the various nautical skills of the captain 'wanting'. I would venture that this has as much as anything to do with running aground.

Darn math . . .
The Moose
Dili
Posts: 4742
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:33 pm

RE: Rare actions

Post by Dili »

Submarines with bigger towers should be more vulnerable to other submarines since would be detected earlier.
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: Rare actions

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Dili

Submarines with bigger towers should be more vulnerable to other submarines since would be detected earlier.

That sounds almost anthropological . . .

USN experience very early was that the pre-war, "pretty" conning towers were detection magnets. After the very first war patrols PH commenced tearing off all sorts of fairwaters, plating, guards, railings, and assorted gingerbread. The goal was to let light pass through as much as possible consistent with not getting people killed, or otherwise hurt or drowned. Ned Beach goes into this quite a bit in "Run Silent, Run Deep." Pretty soon word got back to the building yards to knock it off, and boats arrived for war patrols already chopped down to the bare minimums.
The Moose
User avatar
EUBanana
Posts: 4255
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:48 pm
Location: Little England
Contact:

RE: Rare actions

Post by EUBanana »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
Carrier blows up and sinks after one torpedo hit![&:]


Pretty sure sure I saw that one, opsec forbids my opponent from confirming, but CV Soryu got torpedoed by the Dutch O19, **AMMO STORAGE EXPLOSION**, 90 dead aircraft in the intel screen, no sign of Soryu leaving the area.

About the one piece of luck in naval combat I've had I think in the entire game!
Image
User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: Rare actions

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
Carrier blows up and sinks after one torpedo hit![&:]


Pretty sure sure I saw that one, opsec forbids my opponent from confirming, but CV Soryu got torpedoed by the Dutch O19, **AMMO STORAGE EXPLOSION**, 90 dead aircraft in the intel screen, no sign of Soryu leaving the area.

About the one piece of luck in naval combat I've had I think in the entire game!

Seen it happen with a magazine explosion. No ship is immune, and no ship can survive it (at least in game). Carriers have the additional problem of fuel and ammo (bomb) stowage on board.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
shall59
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:37 pm

RE: Rare actions

Post by shall59 »

Yeah, I lost the Colorado off PM to one aircraft torpedo. "...and is sunk" is a depressing message.
User avatar
KenchiSulla
Posts: 2963
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:19 pm
Location: the Netherlands

RE: Rare actions

Post by KenchiSulla »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

In one of my PBEM turns recently, I got the messsage that an airman had been 'found'.  I've 'lost' all sorts of airmen, but this guy must have been reported as lost and made his way back to friendly lines evading capture.  Wow!  Love the realism...

So far I have found around 10 pilots who were MIA (check your ops report!) and we are in oktober 1942 now. It is a nice feature!
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
FatR
Posts: 2522
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:04 am
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia

RE: Rare actions

Post by FatR »

I had mine detonations on ACMs in both of my PBEMs on the same RL day.

Also, I'm perhaps the only player who managed to lose a large xAK to 0.50 MG fire. That was a large Yusen-class xAK, and this type can haul fuel, and has the bad habit of always loading some, and fuel on board caught fire, and the ship was toast before the next turn.
The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/
FatR
Posts: 2522
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:04 am
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia

RE: Rare actions

Post by FatR »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
In one of my PBEM turns recently, I got the messsage that an airman had been 'found'.  I've 'lost' all sorts of airmen, but this guy must have been reported as lost and made his way back to friendly lines evading capture.  Wow!  Love the realism...
I also had a messages "Pilot X had escaped capture" recently. MIA airmen may return later under the latest patch, albeit rarely.
The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/
Alpha77
Posts: 2196
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:38 am

RE: Rare actions

Post by Alpha77 »

I also saw some of these things:

Formed convoi to Perth, of course full with fuel originally from Abadan. They made a stop at Colombo got another DD as escort and began journey through In. Ocean. In the middle of the ocean 2 of the big tankers collided both took considerable damage. Was thinking to send the worst damaged one back, but decided to to just continue. If nothing more unusual happens they should make it to AU.

Got message severall ship sighted IN COLOMBO harbour. Indeed it shows the ships but not the type. Thought maybe these midget subs ? Formed 1 surface and 1 subhunting fleet and patrol the harbour and area surounding, also set the planes to ASW combat and search arc for Colombo harbour - but these ships just dissapeared and were never seen again [&:] They didn´t do any damage also, if these were really midget subs or it was just a really fake sighing report.

Japs raided PM harbour with a surface fleet of cruisers and DDs. Of course night action. I had only 1 small mine searcher and a small convoi consisting of 1 AK and 1 DD there. They were unloading. Japs sink the mine patrol ship. Radio Tokio announced a big battle were a BB and severall cruisers were sunk. Nice propaganda. I though maybe the transport fleet got lucky - they broke off the unloading and fled the port -however they were sunk 1 hex away from PM, cannot remember if by the raiders or by the damn Bettys with torps flying over from Rabaul. Seems the Japs have a good picture of my movements.....[8|]
John Lansford
Posts: 2664
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:40 am

RE: Rare actions

Post by John Lansford »

I keep getting "coastwatchers report x ships at Tulagi" and other bases along the Solomons, even though I control Lunga, Buka, Rabaul and several other bases completely isolating the remaining Japanese held spots.  I've sent DD's to those locations and never found even a barge, so I've decided the coastwatchers are just getting drunk and reporting Allied ships as enemy vessels...
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Rare actions

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: FatR
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
In one of my PBEM turns recently, I got the messsage that an airman had been 'found'.  I've 'lost' all sorts of airmen, but this guy must have been reported as lost and made his way back to friendly lines evading capture.  Wow!  Love the realism...
I also had a messages "Pilot X had escaped capture" recently. MIA airmen may return later under the latest patch, albeit rarely.
I've had this 'found' message for three out of the last four days in my OPS report. [&:] I wonder if I have a backlog of MIA airmen that are only reporting for duty now since my latest patchup?
Image
User avatar
KenchiSulla
Posts: 2963
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:19 pm
Location: the Netherlands

RE: Rare actions

Post by KenchiSulla »

Decided to do a night raid on a TF unloading near Suva.

TF goes in, one CL collides with a DD and the damaged DD slows the TF down. Instead of aborting it ends up 2 hexes from its raid destination INSIDE the allied air cover range. Lost one CL because of it... ouch


AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
John Lansford
Posts: 2664
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:40 am

RE: Rare actions

Post by John Lansford »

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

Decided to do a night raid on a TF unloading near Suva.

TF goes in, one CL collides with a DD and the damaged DD slows the TF down. Instead of aborting it ends up 2 hexes from its raid destination INSIDE the allied air cover range. Lost one CL because of it... ouch

Sounds like the aftermath of Surigao Strait, where Mogami rammed Nachi and LBA found and sank one of them the next day...
1275psi
Posts: 7987
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:47 pm

RE: Rare actions

Post by 1275psi »

I just had Kongo sink a ss with surface fire!
wow!
big seas, fast ships, life tastes better with salt
Itdepends
Posts: 937
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:59 am

RE: Rare actions

Post by Itdepends »

Night time surface action against Japanese AI- two pairs of ships collide!

Didn't do the destroyers a lot of good.

Image
Attachments
Collision2.jpg
Collision2.jpg (106.13 KiB) Viewed 260 times
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”