Matrix suppot will only go so far.....What to do?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Pack Rat
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: north central Pennsylvania USA

Matrix suppot will only go so far.....What to do?

Post by Pack Rat »

Matrix will take care of bugs in time, I have no doubt what so ever, maybe not as fast as we would like, but squashed none the less. Impatient, yes I am, I was waiting many a night for their latest installment like a little kid before his birthday party. Image

There are at least 2 fan sites for SPWAW and probably more, as well as sites that have information. What I propose though is an offical fan site. I think it should be run not by one person but by several. Why? As Matrix moves in other directions player researched oobs and icons will continue, to have them scattered around the net wouldn't be good for the game. Posted to a site where they could be judged and maybe declared "sanctioned for use" would be good, I think. They would be "unoffical offical", given Matrix blessing until they are made offical. This is being done with the German oobs now. The Finish oobs wouldn't be near as good if it weren't for the hard work and dedication of some volunteers from Finland. Mike's great icons which already have an unoffical status on Tankheads site. It isn't that Matrix wouldn't, it's as we know a question of time for them.

Now on the whole I dislike "offical fan sites". I think they are unfair to others that may have spent more time, have a bigger following, or are just plain better looking with more info. So I only stick my neck out for the benifit of the game. Should this be? I leave it for discussion. I would only close by reminding all that SPWAW goes on, Matrix goes on, but not necessarily in the same direction.

Comments please.

[This message has been edited by Pack Rat (edited November 22, 2000).]
PR
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Would this be a forum type of site, or a site offering scenarios, tips, etc.? The potential for that is already at TGN and also at the SP Arsenal now. Or a separate site for only SPWAW could be set up at the Raider site which already supports CM, Campaign games and another upcoming page with coverage of another new game (to be announced later)

WB

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Pack Rat
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: north central Pennsylvania USA

Post by Pack Rat »

I wasn't sure about the seperation between Matrix and TGN. But what is there already is the way I was thinking. Maybe a bit more centered on what the SPWAW gamer needs for current changes and perhaps oob changes like a clip in a gun, easy for fellow gamers to know what the oobs are. For example oob group 1, oob group 2, etc.

You'll like this oob WB. Marine UDT were formed in 1943, 20 men all together formed a "boat" or about what they figured would be enough for clearing a landing zone for a battalion of Marines. Unlike todays SEAL's the UDT's job was done at the waters edge where the SEALs job today is just beginning. I haven't found the armament yet, but figure it was mostly just job related.

------------------

KISS= Keep It Simple, Stupid
Pack Rat

[This message has been edited by Pack Rat (edited November 23, 2000).]
PR
Securitas
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Securitas »

I think that Pack Rat's idea is a good one. Whether the site be MGN or SP Arsenal, is all the same to me, as long as it is clear what is truly officially sanctioned by Matrix, what is sanctioned by the "fan" site, and what are the various player mods that could be way, way off in terms of realism.

------------------
Securitas
_________________________
88mm is a really nice number
Securitas
_________________________
88 is a really nice number
Pack Rat
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: north central Pennsylvania USA

Post by Pack Rat »

I still am unsure just how good this idea is, but following it along, I'm curious as to how much time the MGN or the Arsenal would have to handle it given their other duties. Maybe it would be just added as something that is to be done. Certainly, judging by the responses to the game on this board, there would be no shortage of oob testers. Would it be web space problem to list out the new units. Many games have this as a big advertising plus to their games, "new units every week" type thing. Certainly we've gotten this already but no reason to think it will stop either. New country oobs will probably appear. I'm still thinking a interchange area for oobs is the way to go, something to keep the confusion down and expanabilty up.

------------------

KISS= Keep It Simple, Stupid
Pack Rat
PR
Securitas
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Securitas »

I think that it should not be limited to just OOBs. I keep hearing about icons that are new or reworked. It would be nice to find all such thinks in one central location. I have no idea even where to look for new icons and whether they are endorsed by Matrix.

------------------
Securitas
_________________________
88mm is a really nice number
Securitas
_________________________
88 is a really nice number
Pack Rat
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: north central Pennsylvania USA

Post by Pack Rat »

You can find Mike" Warhorse" Amos wonderful icons at Tankheads site which is here http://tankhead.home.icq.com No worries about installing them while playing current games as it won't effect them, except they are prettier. You also can get the original oobs here, a good thing to have just in case.... Image

------------------

KISS= Keep It Simple, Stupid
Pack Rat

[This message has been edited by Pack Rat (edited November 24, 2000).]
PR
User avatar
Warhorse
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri May 12, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Birdsboro, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Warhorse »

Pack Rat, thanks so much for the kind words, and am glad you are all enjoying them Image To all, any of the icon patches are in a sense endorsed by Matrix, although not in so many words!! I have been the maker all along, so you can be rest assured these will in no way mess anything up, all numbers used are either new, or updated originals, you won't all of a sudden see an ambulance or something where your Tiger was!!. So again, don't hesitate to download them, they are further enhancements, the only reason they aren't at the Matrix site is that Fabio and Tankhead were gracious enough to offer their assistance in posting them, hopefully enabling more of the folk around the world a better chance at 'spotting' them!! I too wish we could at least have all the support sites etc. easier to find, like banners or something?! Take care, and enjoy!

------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”