Trains

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Securitas
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2000 10:00 am

Trains

Post by Securitas »

I have et up a scenario with a railroad and a train on it. But with a couple of exceptions, everythign is immobilized. Was this intentional?

The other thing I was wondering is if the Railroad terrain type has any effect on movement or defense. It is not included in the table of terrain features in the game manual, or at least a seach did not find it.

------------------
Securitas
_________________________
88mm is a really nice number
Securitas
_________________________
88 is a really nice number
User avatar
Paul Vebber
Posts: 5342
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Portsmouth RI
Contact:

Post by Paul Vebber »

The trains don't move, the track must have have been pulled up by fifth columnists...
john g
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2000 8:00 am
Location: college station, tx usa

Post by john g »

Originally posted by Securitas:
I have et up a scenario with a railroad and a train on it. But with a couple of exceptions, everythign is immobilized. Was this intentional?

The other thing I was wondering is if the Railroad terrain type has any effect on movement or defense. It is not included in the table of terrain features in the game manual, or at least a seach did not find it.

It is possible to make the train move, just edit the units to have a movement allownace, though you do then have the problem of the train still moving after the engine gets toasted or parts of it still moving with a hole if something in the middle gets blasted.

Be sure to set waypoints to try to keep the train on the tracks, if you are going to let the computer run the train. Really it should be done by a human who will honor damage done to the train, like it coasting to a halt or derailing if the engine gets blown up, or the rear section seperating and coasting to a halt if a middle car dies. Aside from the Czech legion after WWI, what armored trains actually made it into combat in this century? It is more likely that a combat force would breakthrough and find a train at a station than rolling down the tracks.
thanks, John.


Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Pretty neat ideas, John. I had not thought of that. I'll give it a try!

------------------
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Coordinator, Scenario Design
Matrix Games
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
User avatar
Warhorse
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri May 12, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Birdsboro, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Warhorse »

Guy's, yes you can give it movement, the main reason it doesn't however is, think about when it retreats!! It's gonna look aweful funny having a engine, or even worse, a car running cross-country, don't you think!!?? They won't STAY on the track, remeber that. I do wish we could've done that, but, you know what happens when you wish in one hand.... Image

------------------
Mike Amos
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Charles22
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed May 17, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA

Post by Charles22 »

Maybe something of a solution here. Why not give the engine a super carry rating, so that it can tow cars which would have no movement allowance? What would happen, then, if a middle car blew up? One thing is certain, a retreat which may come about, wouldn't see the cars running off on their own. I suppose, as well, that if the train were hit, the passengers (the cars) would 'jump off' the train? I ask this because I have thankfully no experience of seeing what happens to towed guns when the towing vehicle is hit, but I do know infantry will 'jump off'.
Charles22
Posts: 875
Joined: Wed May 17, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA

Post by Charles22 »

BTW, if you also put some sort of impassable terrain around the tracks, this would be a stop-gap way of keeping the trains on it. Of course, this and the previous idea combined would in some way solve the current problem, but create others, such as when the engine loads the cars, I would imagine that the cars would disappear, therefore destroying the visual effect.
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Originally posted by Securitas:

The other thing I was wondering is if the Railroad terrain type has any effect on movement or defense. It is not included in the table of terrain features in the game manual, or at least a seach did not find it.

I don't know about defense of a train, but a railroad embankment can be built and is the main defense feature in one scenario about the French holding off a German attack.

Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”