Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16757
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

Yeah, you're right about the DDs. I'm scrounging more.

Here is Palembang. The 2 units just to the west of Palembang are tank regiments. Below that are a division, brigade, some artillery and 3 independent engineer regiments.



Image
Attachments
Palembang.jpg
Palembang.jpg (32.36 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
d0mbo
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:10 am
Location: Holland

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by d0mbo »

Do they shock attack when entering the palembang hex? If so, you might want to coordinate alle the units so they arrive in the hex at the same time.
 
 
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16757
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: d0mbo

Do they shock attack when entering the palembang hex? If so, you might want to coordinate alle the units so they arrive in the hex at the same time.


Yes, unless the attack comes from the hex to the NW of Palembang. Guess where I'm coming from?
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
TheLoneGunman_MatrixForum
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:01 pm

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by TheLoneGunman_MatrixForum »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: d0mbo

Do they shock attack when entering the palembang hex? If so, you might want to coordinate alle the units so they arrive in the hex at the same time.


Yes, unless the attack comes from the hex to the NW of Palembang. Guess where I'm coming from?

Excellent! Because I was just about to suggest that, hoping you would be patient enough for such an endeavor.

Such a move should also theoretically "isolate" Palembang from sending or receiving supplies to the rest of the island, correct? (With the exception of shipping by sea or by air obviously.)
Djordje
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:49 am

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Djordje »

In my PBEM game I was also careful about attacking Palembang, and it proved to be just waste of my time. All I needed to do in the end was to invade over sea with one division and after first deliberate attack the base fell. No bombardment was needed, just simple invasion and attack day later.
Unless your opponent heavily reinforced it you should not be afraid of crossing river. Just go for the kill, you are already two months behind the schedule for it.
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16757
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: TheLoneGunman

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

ORIGINAL: d0mbo

Do they shock attack when entering the palembang hex? If so, you might want to coordinate alle the units so they arrive in the hex at the same time.


Yes, unless the attack comes from the hex to the NW of Palembang. Guess where I'm coming from?

Excellent! Because I was just about to suggest that, hoping you would be patient enough for such an endeavor.

Such a move should also theoretically "isolate" Palembang from sending or receiving supplies to the rest of the island, correct? (With the exception of shipping by sea or by air obviously.)

Palembang has been isolated by sea and air for months. Only the land route still exists, but not for long.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16757
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Djordje

In my PBEM game I was also careful about attacking Palembang, and it proved to be just waste of my time. All I needed to do in the ned was to invade over sea with one division and after first deliberate attack the base fell. No bombardment was needing, just simple invasion and attack day later.
Unless your opponent heavily reinforced it you should not be afraid of crossing river. Just go for the kill, you are already two months behind the schedule for it.

My concern over taking Palembang before Batavia and Singapore fell was Allied bombing of the oil fields. As I've said many times, I'm a conservative player. Whatever happens at Palembang, happens. If the oil fields are trashed, well, I guess that's the breaks. That's why I have 3 engineer regiments as part of the assault force. My intel says there are 5 units there. We'll see in a few days. I've actually had excellent luck taking industry relatively intact.

I will do what I can to influence the die roll and then let the die roll as it does.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Chickenboy
Posts: 24648
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Chickenboy »

Speaking of repairing damaged oil production...are you dumping beaucoup supply into Miri so that it can repair its 150 damaged oil production?
Image
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16757
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Speaking of repairing damaged oil production...are you dumping beaucoup supply into Miri so that it can repair its 150 damaged oil production?

Yup, it hasn't missed a day of repair. It's down to ~30 damaged oil remaining. It is offloading the last shipment of supply needed to take care of the remaining damaged oil.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
BrucePowers
Posts: 12090
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by BrucePowers »

What's the diffrence between beaucoup supply and supply?[:D] Is beaucoup supply prettier? Is it supplyier?[:D]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
User avatar
BrucePowers
Posts: 12090
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by BrucePowers »

Hi Mike![:)]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16757
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

Hi Bruce.  Beaucoup supply is French supply.  Very good for repairing oil wells. [:D]
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
BrucePowers
Posts: 12090
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:13 pm

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by BrucePowers »

[:D]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
User avatar
Cribtop
Posts: 3890
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:42 pm
Location: Lone Star Nation

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Cribtop »

In my anecdotal experience, when a base falls to shock attack the odds of significant or even total destruction of facilities increases. For this reason, I always deliberate attack against major Oil/resource/HI centers.

Image
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16757
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

That's good to know, Cribtop.  Shock attacks are rare occurances for me.  I prefer deliberate attacks.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Cribtop
Posts: 3890
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:42 pm
Location: Lone Star Nation

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Cribtop »

As I say, anecdotal experience only but I notice a correlation and it makes sense in the real world.
Image
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16757
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

Now that I think about it, the one instance I shock attacked to take a base that had industry in this PBEM, it happened at Singapore.  That was the one base that was trashed when I took it.  Coincidence?  Don't know.  I'm not going to take a chance though.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mynok
Posts: 12108
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:12 am
Contact:

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mynok »


You'd best hope you don't take the base when you shock attack across the river.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16757
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Mynok


You'd best hope you don't take the base when you shock attack across the river.

I'm not going accross the river. I'm coming from this direction:



Image
Attachments
D2FEDC17C4..8CD2E555.jpg
D2FEDC17C4..8CD2E555.jpg (32.38 KiB) Viewed 268 times
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Cribtop
Posts: 3890
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:42 pm
Location: Lone Star Nation

RE: Here we go again! tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J) - No tc464

Post by Cribtop »

Mike, if you read my AAR, that's exactly what happened to me - I wanted Singapore asap so I shock attacked and took the base. That's the only base I've ever taken in AE that was 100% damaged. Since then I've made sure to administer the final blow via deliberate attack.
Image
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”