Surely an outstanding game, but...

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Post Reply
helgi
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:54 am

Surely an outstanding game, but...

Post by helgi »

...yes, I'm still on the outside looking in and WitE looks like an outstanding game. But one thing that really worries me regarding this otherwise apparently outstanding title - is it possible to have both, WitE and a family or will I have to choose one or the other?

Just bought Decisive Campaigns, Warsaw to Paris, and like that a lot. Best computer war game I've tried so far. But even DC:WtP is quite large for someone who likes to spend some time with the family...

Anyway, good to see all these great titles coming out. I've just been browsing through my old collection of AH board games, e.g. 3R, Russian Campaign, Squad Leader series, and many others. These new titles are doing a good job at replacing the old AH classics.
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Surely an outstanding game, but...

Post by Josh »

Quite possible to have both, the game *and* a family. I too have both WitE and Decisive Campaigns, Warsaw to Paris, both are outstanding games. And I play only small scenarios with both games, maybe half an hour, three quarters of an hour per day. So IMO that should work well, make some coffee and have some leisure time, play a turn or two ---> back to family business, or whatever.
It does mean too that getting into the game takes a little longer than those who play 8 hours straight. ( I'd be dead in my chair if I did just that, play 8 hours straight).
User avatar
morganbj
Posts: 3472
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:36 am
Location: Mosquito Bite, Texas

RE: Surely an outstanding game, but...

Post by morganbj »

When you're old like me, you have more time to play. The wife likes that I'm quiet and in my own room. The kids and the grandkids are all out of state. The beer is cold, the fireplace warm (well for the week we use it every year), and the dog keeps strangers away. Sigh.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
helgi
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:54 am

RE: Surely an outstanding game, but...

Post by helgi »

ORIGINAL: Josh

Quite possible to have both, the game *and* a family. I too have both WitE and Decisive Campaigns, Warsaw to Paris, both are outstanding games. And I play only small scenarios with both games, maybe half an hour, three quarters of an hour per day. So IMO that should work well, make some coffee and have some leisure time, play a turn or two ---> back to family business, or whatever.
It does mean too that getting into the game takes a little longer than those who play 8 hours straight. ( I'd be dead in my chair if I did just that, play 8 hours straight).

Yes, I'm sure I will be buying WitE soon, it just looks like a title that one ought to have in his collection. DC:WtP is great, just finished Fall Weiss as Germans, took quite some time to get through that. But as you've got both the games, isn't my impression of WitE being a much larger game that DC:WtP correct? I have no problems spending a few hours getting through one turn, playing only Army Group South in Fall Weiss (although I'm getting faster as the turns go by) - wonder how long it would take to get through a turn in WitE.

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

When you're old like me, you have more time to play. The wife likes that I'm quiet and in my own room. The kids and the grandkids are all out of state. The beer is cold, the fireplace warm (well for the week we use it every year), and the dog keeps strangers away. Sigh.

Sounds like you've got your strategy sorted ;-)
vinnie71
Posts: 993
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:32 am

RE: Surely an outstanding game, but...

Post by vinnie71 »

If you liked the AH titles (and their computer adaptations - remember Stalingrad?) you're going to love this one
User avatar
mavraamides
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:25 pm

RE: Surely an outstanding game, but...

Post by mavraamides »

This game has taken over my life.

Thank God it runs on my laptop so I can 'hang out' with my family while I sneak in another turn.
Josh
Posts: 2568
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands

RE: Surely an outstanding game, but...

Post by Josh »

Well I don't know if WitE is larger than DC: Warsaw to Paris perse, in my opinion both *can* be very large. I've only played the smaller scenarios in DC, and I've only just begun in WitE ofcourse... playing small scenarios and the tutorial first ofcourse. Personally I find WitE very easy to get into..., so that's a plus. It will no doubt get more and more comlex, as I'm certainly missing lots of things. WitE can have huge scenarios, like TOAW has you know (Fire in the East comes to mind). Personally I fear these huge ones, play a small part of the map, planning to go on the next day only to find out I forgot what I was doing.
Decisive Campaigns does have the ability to have huge scenarios too, and IMO it's a rival to WitE, when it comes out with an Eastern scenario/campaign. DC does have a nice UI and graphics too, the WitE map is looking just awesome.
 
Oh, on a smaller scale, the smaller scenarios can go pretty fast actually. The AI does a pretty good job concerning the airattacks/recon/RailRoadRepair/Support units, if you leave that to the AI all you have to do is focus on the counters and their supply status. Like Pyledriver said, one of the WitE testers [&o],  he drinks beer, watches boobtube (or whatever that means LOL) and plays WitE simultaneously. So it can be a beer and pretzel game... once you know what you are doing.
 
My idea, if Decisive Campaigns already had an Eastern expansion then I wouldn't have bought WitE... probably. [:)] But as it is, DC covers the Western Front, probably North Africa soon (?). and WitE covers the East. Now, as to what the future will bring us... Both outstanding games surely will have expansions, it never hurts to have both.
User avatar
Hagleboz
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: Murrieta, CA

RE: Surely an outstanding game, but...

Post by Hagleboz »

Been playing the last 4 nights after the wife and baby go to bed.  Stay up till around 4:00 and get up at 7:00 so yeah doing both is a piece of cake.  [>:]
But is it worth it?  Without a doubt.
User avatar
JudgeDredd
Posts: 8362
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:28 pm
Location: Scotland

RE: Surely an outstanding game, but...

Post by JudgeDredd »

Game, family and friends here. I don't put as much time into it as I'd like, but I know there are late Friday and Saturday nights and besides - the game has a handy "save when you want" feature...

Nothing should take you away from family and true friends. [;)]
Alba gu' brath
solops
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Central Texas

RE: Surely an outstanding game, but...

Post by solops »

ORIGINAL: helgi

...yes, I'm still on the outside looking in and WitE looks like an outstanding game. But one thing that really worries me regarding this otherwise apparently outstanding title - is it possible to have both, WitE and a family or will I have to choose one or the other?

No. All of these people are lying to you from either the hospital or their attourney's office. You will have no outside life and your family will soon leave or forget you. The only alternative is to put on a show until they all go to bed and then play the few short hours between 11 PM and dawn, depending on coffee and No-Doze to get you through the day. This will allow you to keep a family until your health collapses. So, you have a choice: health or family, but not both.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
User avatar
henri51
Posts: 1151
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:07 pm

RE: Surely an outstanding game, but...

Post by henri51 »

I convinced my wife nears ago (now I am retired and the kids are gone) that wargaming was cheaper than golf, more healthy than drinking and more healthy, cheaper and more socially acceptable than chasing women!

Henri
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”