New from S7 Shipyards
- DuckofTindalos
- Posts: 39781
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
- Location: Denmark
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
Oh dear, I smell Spaceship Yamato a'comin...[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
ORIGINAL: Terminus
Oh dear, I smell Spaceship Yamato a'comin...[:D]
Not an exact copy, but you could say I was inspired by good old Anime Mecha for this one. [:D]
Distant Worlds Fan
'When in doubt...attack!'
'When in doubt...attack!'
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
Wow, I look forward to seeing this in its savage splendor...[&o]
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
Well, it may be a while, I'm also running with the idea of the classic 'Fying Saucer' type. Thinking they would be fitting for an aquatic alien like the ackdarian. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan
'When in doubt...attack!'
'When in doubt...attack!'
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
Shark what program are you using to Render your models? I tried some tutorials in Wings3D but they all stop at the end of the modelling process and I have not a clue how to actually render them!
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
There are two that I would recommend.
Vue 9 Pioneer
Bryce 7
And there are many others. These are probably the most popular ones. But certainly any program that allows you to import wavefront object files and has a render engine will work. You can do a search and probably find others. Just find the one you are most comfortable with. Unfortunately with most of these products, you will probably have to register it to even try it.
Basically you need to export your Wings3d model as a wavefront object (.obj) file after you have set all your material zones, then import it into the rendering program. Set what lighting you want then you can render it to or save the render as a .png file. You'll almost certainly want to run it through a program like Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop to add in more details then optimize the .png file (in my original shipset, that would be be the red and white stripes, etc).
You can also set a UV map with Wings3d, but I've found that simply using material zones works for this, since the models end up so small as to lose the details anyway.
Vue 9 Pioneer
Bryce 7
And there are many others. These are probably the most popular ones. But certainly any program that allows you to import wavefront object files and has a render engine will work. You can do a search and probably find others. Just find the one you are most comfortable with. Unfortunately with most of these products, you will probably have to register it to even try it.
Basically you need to export your Wings3d model as a wavefront object (.obj) file after you have set all your material zones, then import it into the rendering program. Set what lighting you want then you can render it to or save the render as a .png file. You'll almost certainly want to run it through a program like Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop to add in more details then optimize the .png file (in my original shipset, that would be be the red and white stripes, etc).
You can also set a UV map with Wings3d, but I've found that simply using material zones works for this, since the models end up so small as to lose the details anyway.
Distant Worlds Fan
'When in doubt...attack!'
'When in doubt...attack!'
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
Oh dear...its the invasion from Mars... [:D]


- Attachments
-
- Saucers1.jpg (50.52 KiB) Viewed 484 times
Distant Worlds Fan
'When in doubt...attack!'
'When in doubt...attack!'
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
Those look like Adromedians from SFB...
I mean I know you did not copy those ships... but they are cool.
I mean I know you did not copy those ships... but they are cool.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
I'm working on the Andromedans for the Kirk era mod. Yes, they do look similar, but then most saucer shaped hulls do.
It's looks very cool indeed, Shark7. [8D]
It's looks very cool indeed, Shark7. [8D]
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
Pretty much all flying saucers look the same...the bigger ships will get less saucer shaped though (to take full advantage of the way DW scales them).
Distant Worlds Fan
'When in doubt...attack!'
'When in doubt...attack!'
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
Nice Shark7! The in game shot looks very well done, and kudos for making an entire shipset! You've inspired me to have another go at modding ships again.
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
And it starts again:
Escort

Escort

- Attachments
-
- Escort.jpg (25.75 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Distant Worlds Fan
'When in doubt...attack!'
'When in doubt...attack!'
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
Explorer


- Attachments
-
- ExplorationShip.jpg (25.59 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Distant Worlds Fan
'When in doubt...attack!'
'When in doubt...attack!'
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
Frigate


- Attachments
-
- Frigate.jpg (25.05 KiB) Viewed 482 times
Distant Worlds Fan
'When in doubt...attack!'
'When in doubt...attack!'
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
Destroyer...
You may notice the smaller ships are short and fat, and the bigger they get, the longer they get. I figured that knowing how DW handles ship scaling, why not take advantage of it. [;)]

You may notice the smaller ships are short and fat, and the bigger they get, the longer they get. I figured that knowing how DW handles ship scaling, why not take advantage of it. [;)]

- Attachments
-
- destroyer.jpg (20.85 KiB) Viewed 481 times
Distant Worlds Fan
'When in doubt...attack!'
'When in doubt...attack!'
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
They look great Shark. I know how hard it is to model these things, I tried, its hard! We need little green men now [:D]
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
- Tacit_Exit
- Posts: 82
- Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:29 am
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
I wonder if you could mimic the attitude of these guys as a DW race [:D]


- Attachments
-
- LGM.jpg (28.91 KiB) Viewed 481 times
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
ORIGINAL: WoodMan
They look great Shark. I know how hard it is to model these things, I tried, its hard! We need little green men now [:D]
Hehe, that or your classic UFO 'Gray' alien.
Distant Worlds Fan
'When in doubt...attack!'
'When in doubt...attack!'
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
Shark great job, love the functional look of your set.
I have started dabbling in my own custom set, and I really love the Alias Sketchbook Pro 2011 (Free for College Students). It allows you to do a mirror drawing so sketching up symmetrical ships is easier. Although I have checked out Wings3d and think that messing with those shapes and teasing things here and there would be fun as well.
The thing about DW is that the ship is all about looking good from the top down perspective.
Maybe I will sketch in Sketchbook Pro, then import the sketch into Wings to work up the 3d model for further tweaking. Then to PS for coloring (which I suck at).
My goal is to try an create a realistic ship set like what would the US Navy want to build?
I have started dabbling in my own custom set, and I really love the Alias Sketchbook Pro 2011 (Free for College Students). It allows you to do a mirror drawing so sketching up symmetrical ships is easier. Although I have checked out Wings3d and think that messing with those shapes and teasing things here and there would be fun as well.
The thing about DW is that the ship is all about looking good from the top down perspective.
Maybe I will sketch in Sketchbook Pro, then import the sketch into Wings to work up the 3d model for further tweaking. Then to PS for coloring (which I suck at).
My goal is to try an create a realistic ship set like what would the US Navy want to build?
RE: New from S7 Shipyards
ORIGINAL: Haree78
ORIGINAL: Igard
It doesn't make any difference what size images you use. I generally go with 500x500, but say I put a 400x400 ship in the same shipset, it won't make any difference.
I've found the size makes a difference but only to get things like engines working. If I have a 500x500 image for a ship which is actually scaled a lot smaller sometimes the engines refuse to work. I scale it down to 200x200 and redraw a line of pure blue and bang the engines are working.
I suspect this in game scaling is the cause of erroneous lights showing up. I just wish I knew what the native resolution was for each ship because they are sometimes different sizes in the different families for all the game ships.
If you look at the DW model, their smaller ships are smaller canvas size. So maybe scale your sets in the same way. 500x500 is only really necessary for maybe cruiser and up, which gives nice detail.





