Seriously thinking...

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

wozza
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:13 pm

RE: Seriously thinking...

Post by wozza »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Matrix could fold and you still have the game.
LOL if Steam folded or Impulse you would not have any games and lose thousands of dollars.
User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: Seriously thinking...

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: forsaken1111

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Personally I don't feel comfortable using something that takes info off my computer and stores it in some online data-bank. But that is just me. It's like these new computers that have no hard drive...I won't be buying one, period.
It only takes files that you designate, it's an online backup and synchronization solution. You make it sound like it ransacks your hard drive and takes whatever it wants. I use it to collaborate with clients, because you can drop any file in your 'public' folder and get a direct link to it which you can share with others. This is far superior to any other file sharing system I've ever used. It works with images without mandatory compression or alteration, I can link to a PDF file or even an entire CD image if i need to show off a new product and cannot overnight a CD.

Its a trust issue. And I just don't trust it.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
forsaken1111
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:30 am

RE: Seriously thinking...

Post by forsaken1111 »

ORIGINAL: Shark7
Its a trust issue. And I just don't trust it.
Fair enough.
nammafia
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:29 pm

RE: Seriously thinking...

Post by nammafia »

I need the box for my space strategy collection case. I don't need boxes for other genre.
nammafia
forsaken1111
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:30 am

RE: Seriously thinking...

Post by forsaken1111 »

Boxes are overrated.
nammafia
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:29 pm

RE: Seriously thinking...

Post by nammafia »

You mean box is more expensive?!

"Over-rated" is over used. I don't know what the word implies anymore.

"The Manning quarterbacks are over-rated". This I understand.
nammafia
forsaken1111
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:30 am

RE: Seriously thinking...

Post by forsaken1111 »

ORIGINAL: nammafia

You mean box is more expensive?!

"Over-rated" is over used. I don't know what the word implies anymore.

"The Manning quarterbacks are over-rated". This I understand.

Yes. Boxes are more expensive to produce, ship, and shelves.

However that isn't what I meant, obviously.

Although game boxes will probably be worth something as a curiousity sooner or later as many people are moving away from packaged data and brick stores.
User avatar
Simulation01
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:10 pm

RE: Seriously thinking...

Post by Simulation01 »

ORIGINAL: forsaken1111

ORIGINAL: nammafia

You mean box is more expensive?!

"Over-rated" is over used. I don't know what the word implies anymore.

"The Manning quarterbacks are over-rated". This I understand.

Yes. Boxes are more expensive to produce, ship, and shelves.

However that isn't what I meant, obviously.

Although game boxes will probably be worth something as a curiousity sooner or later as many people are moving away from packaged data and brick stores.


I know....I have mixed emotions about this. I always loved my shiny new boxes. Now, all I will get is cold, hard, code which is dependent on the net ( as some games can only be played with a connection ). I'm all in favor of intellectual property rights, but I think they are going to far with that..IMHO. I like the way DW does it though....besides if you don't support them all we'll get is more EA trash like spore.
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
wozza
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:13 pm

RE: Seriously thinking...

Post by wozza »

ORIGINAL: Simulation01

ORIGINAL: forsaken1111

ORIGINAL: nammafia

You mean box is more expensive?!

"Over-rated" is over used. I don't know what the word implies anymore.

"The Manning quarterbacks are over-rated". This I understand.

Yes. Boxes are more expensive to produce, ship, and shelves.

However that isn't what I meant, obviously.

Although game boxes will probably be worth something as a curiousity sooner or later as many people are moving away from packaged data and brick stores.


I know....I have mixed emotions about this. I always loved my shiny new boxes. Now, all I will get is cold, hard, code which is dependent on the net ( as some games can only be played with a connection ). I'm all in favor of intellectual property rights, but I think they are going to far with that..IMHO. I like the way DW does it though....besides if you don't support them all we'll get is more EA trash like spore.
I don't mind Digital downloads as long you don't have to activate them over the net each time.

You are right about Spore it was trash and not the game it was suppose to be. And don't get me started on Sim City EA really destroyed the franchise when they brought out SCS a dumbed down version of Sim City. Of course it was a failure but in the process EA destroyed the whole Sim City franchise. Not very cleaver suits.
User avatar
Zakhal
Posts: 1430
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland

RE: Seriously thinking...

Post by Zakhal »

I have three shelves full of boxes. The only thing on my mind is how to get rid of most of them while making atleast few units of currency on the side.

Besides when it comes to matrix boxes great many of them I have received broken. Its no wonder since the cases feel very flimsy like they were made from the cheapest recycled plastic.

And I never even look at them after I put them to the shelf. They are waste of space. Only very few have proven useful incase they have a manual that is actually needed/interesting to read i.e forge of freedom.

As for DD I didnt need any manual to learn it. The game was easy enough to pick up simply by playing it.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Post Reply

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”