Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
Probably a sad commentary, but I believe I have played every single game mentioned in this thread!
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
dont feel bad...i dont have a life either,,,[:D]ORIGINAL: DaveConn
Probably a sad commentary, but I believe I have played every single game mentioned in this thread!
"Remember. This is a military operation. They NEVER go according to plan." ---Gen. Beck to Col. Stauffenberg (VALKYRIE)


RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
Man, I couldn't bear to part with my box games. I may never play them again, but they are beautiful! Sometimes it's just fun to take them out and gaze at them.
[/quote] Warspite1
I'm glad there are like minded individuals out there Canoerebel, I was starting to think I was weird [:D]
I have, in mint condition, all the HMS/GRD games so far produced. Because of the size of the playing area and the complexity of the games, I suspect the games will never be played with - hell, the counters are not even cut-out....but the maps, the counters and the Orders of Battle are such works of art, I cannot get rid of them and I will continue collecting the games.
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
Love board games but computer games sure make the math, set up and opponent location easier. I played most of the 80s classics. The only game we ever busted out but ran away screaming from due to size was Vietnam.

-
bradfordkay
- Posts: 8686
- Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
- Location: Olympia, WA
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
Just like many of you, I have a hard time even thinking abour parting with my classic old boardgames.
I setup SPI's War In The Pacific in college, but we never had the time to play it. I own VG's Pacific War, but never got very far into a campaign before Typhoon Fluffy (okay, Axel or Otis) would wipe it out.
Dan.. I have the whole collection of the GCACW (Great Campaigns of the American Civil War) series (Stonewall Jackson's Way, Road to Gettysburg, etc). I even trimmed the map edges so that I could make one massive map covering the whole theatre.. that is the one series I truly wish would be translated into a computer game.
In high school and college I had several friends with whom I regularly played these games (I have no idea how Dan and I never met, except that there wasn't a wargaming store in Athens - we had to drive to Atlanta to buy them). Flattop was one of our favorites, as were Air Force/Dauntless, Wings, Ironclads and Wooden Ships and Iron Men (though the game we probably played the most often was Speed Circuit after I created all the F1 tracks from 1978 - plus Road Atlanta - for the game).
I setup SPI's War In The Pacific in college, but we never had the time to play it. I own VG's Pacific War, but never got very far into a campaign before Typhoon Fluffy (okay, Axel or Otis) would wipe it out.
Dan.. I have the whole collection of the GCACW (Great Campaigns of the American Civil War) series (Stonewall Jackson's Way, Road to Gettysburg, etc). I even trimmed the map edges so that I could make one massive map covering the whole theatre.. that is the one series I truly wish would be translated into a computer game.
In high school and college I had several friends with whom I regularly played these games (I have no idea how Dan and I never met, except that there wasn't a wargaming store in Athens - we had to drive to Atlanta to buy them). Flattop was one of our favorites, as were Air Force/Dauntless, Wings, Ironclads and Wooden Ships and Iron Men (though the game we probably played the most often was Speed Circuit after I created all the F1 tracks from 1978 - plus Road Atlanta - for the game).
fair winds,
Brad
Brad
-
MorningDew
- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:24 pm
- Location: Greenville, SC
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
ORIGINAL: wdolson
I started in boardgames too. My father gave me Luftwaffe for Christmas when I was 5. I didn't have a prayer of understanding it then, but I eventually made up some simplified rules (a few years later) and the box got somewhat dog eared from frequent play. When I was a teenager I discovered that Avalon Hill had a whole variety of games and I was hooked.
Funny. That (other than 10, not 5) is my same story. Started with Luftwaffe (and I'm sure I didn't play by the real rules). But then I discovered games like Third Reich, Flattops, Squad Leader etc and I've been a junkie ever since.
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
ORIGINAL: DaveConn
Probably a sad commentary, but I believe I have played every single game mentioned in this thread!
How about Amoeba Wars? Board game by Avalon Hill IIRC.
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
ORIGINAL: wdolson
I started in boardgames too. My father gave me Luftwaffe for Christmas when I was 5. I didn't have a prayer of understanding it then, but I eventually made up some simplified rules (a few years later) and the box got somewhat dog eared from frequent play. When I was a teenager I discovered that Avalon Hill had a whole variety of games and I was hooked.
ORIGINAL: AndrewKurtz
Funny. That (other than 10, not 5) is my same story. Started with Luftwaffe (and I'm sure I didn't play by the real rules). But then I discovered games like Third Reich, Flattops, Squad Leader etc and I've been a junkie ever since.
I think we lived parallel lives. Third Reich was my second or third wargame purchase (around age 12 or 13). Flattop and Squad Leader were also favorites from my teen years. I own the entire Squad Leader series released by AH except for the Deluxe ASL games.
Bill
WIS Development Team
- nashvillen
- Posts: 3835
- Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:07 am
- Location: Christiana, TN
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
I own VG Pacific War and SPI War in the Pacific. I have played PW as recently as two years ago with a very nice gentleman from Scotland. We did it using Cyberboard. We played one campaign and made some mistakes and started over and then played another and then we both had RL issues that caused us to stop. He has recently contacted me again and I am trying to get him to use WITP:AE instead!
PW, due to the larger scale is much more abstract. As such it can be easy to go beyond what would be phically impossible (moving Imperial Guards from Bangkok to Ragoon in less than a week, for example), but otherwise a very nice game. I hae picked up an extra copy on Ebay for less than $60.00 to replace some worn out parts. There is some errata and other rulings on boardgame geek and I highly recommend implementing them. There is also a Vassal module for this game, both work well in playing the game over great distances. I am in the USA Central Time Zone and my opponent is in Scotland so we were 6 hours apart. We had 4-6 hours to play each day, but since turns took a bit we had time to do other things while waiting.
I obtained the SPI War in the Pacific from a fellow gamer that was unable to keep his games and didn't want to go through the trouble to sell them. It has a home on my game shelf and one day I will read through the rules and see what it is really like. I saw it for the first time in the early 80's and drooled over it, but it was beyond my meager college student means. So, 30 years later I have a copy. Such is life! I know have the means to aquire things like this but not the time to use it!
PW, due to the larger scale is much more abstract. As such it can be easy to go beyond what would be phically impossible (moving Imperial Guards from Bangkok to Ragoon in less than a week, for example), but otherwise a very nice game. I hae picked up an extra copy on Ebay for less than $60.00 to replace some worn out parts. There is some errata and other rulings on boardgame geek and I highly recommend implementing them. There is also a Vassal module for this game, both work well in playing the game over great distances. I am in the USA Central Time Zone and my opponent is in Scotland so we were 6 hours apart. We had 4-6 hours to play each day, but since turns took a bit we had time to do other things while waiting.
I obtained the SPI War in the Pacific from a fellow gamer that was unable to keep his games and didn't want to go through the trouble to sell them. It has a home on my game shelf and one day I will read through the rules and see what it is really like. I saw it for the first time in the early 80's and drooled over it, but it was beyond my meager college student means. So, 30 years later I have a copy. Such is life! I know have the means to aquire things like this but not the time to use it!

RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
I bought SPI WITP in 1980 took over a spare bedroom that was paneled got some sheet metal and put it on the wall. Magnetized all 3200 pieces and put them on the sheet metaled wall. Disappeared into that room to play solitare night after night. Never did figure out why that woman divorced me[:D]
Was lost for years and then I found Pacwar. I've never let go[8D]
Was lost for years and then I found Pacwar. I've never let go[8D]
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
Designer: Mark Herman - http://www.boozallen.com/about/leadersh ... hip/herman
Mark also has a habit of showing up at http://expo.consimworld.com/
Yes, I played 'Pacific War' when it was new game in the eighties. It has a weird "clock-driven" operations method.
Mark also has a habit of showing up at http://expo.consimworld.com/
Yes, I played 'Pacific War' when it was new game in the eighties. It has a weird "clock-driven" operations method.
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
"Did my time" on board games-Squad leader, ASL, Panzer leader, a few other smaller ones too. Hard part for me was finding like minded friends interested in the experience. Not a fan of solo boardgames.
I'll 'out' myself with the hard core gamers here, but s'OK-I enjoyed Axis and Allies a great deal and spent many evenings with my 'beer and pretzels military interest' friends on this game. As far as tabletop gaming, I'm afraid that I spent much more time on RPGs-AD&D, Runequest, Shadowrun and the occasional Call of Cthulu.
I'll 'out' myself with the hard core gamers here, but s'OK-I enjoyed Axis and Allies a great deal and spent many evenings with my 'beer and pretzels military interest' friends on this game. As far as tabletop gaming, I'm afraid that I spent much more time on RPGs-AD&D, Runequest, Shadowrun and the occasional Call of Cthulu.

RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
ORIGINAL: bradfordkay
(though the game we probably played the most often was Speed Circuit after I created all the F1 tracks from 1978 - plus Road Atlanta - for the game).
Played in the speed circuit tournament at origins one year, made it to finals and got greedy and burned out my breaks.
Love all the games mentioned and own many of them. Sure would love to play again.
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
Loved Runquest and AD&D, Chivalry and Socery. Managed to get the role players to paly Third Reich and Terrible swift sword.
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
"Did my time" on board games-Squad leader, ASL, Panzer leader, a few other smaller ones too. Hard part for me was finding like minded friends interested in the experience. Not a fan of solo boardgames.
I'll 'out' myself with the hard core gamers here, but s'OK-I enjoyed Axis and Allies a great deal and spent many evenings with my 'beer and pretzels military interest' friends on this game. As far as tabletop gaming, I'm afraid that I spent much more time on RPGs-AD&D, Runequest, Shadowrun and the occasional Call of Cthulu.
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
ORIGINAL: DaveConn
Probably a sad commentary, but I believe I have played every single game mentioned in this thread!
I think I have played most of these as well. My brother and I probably have over 4 dozen board games between us.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley


RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
This sure brings back memories.
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
For those curious about the game, the rulebook can be downloaded from Mark Herman's website http://markherman.tripod.com/ (click on the Pacific War link), and very interesting replays can be found on a fansite by another PacWar bordgame designer. http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/user/mst/games/pw.html
On Mark Herman's site is a link to a more recent design, Empire of the Sun, about the Pacific War at a larger level (and on a small map). Another very interesting design at that level of abstraction is a Japanese wargame named Pacific Fleet.
Francois
On Mark Herman's site is a link to a more recent design, Empire of the Sun, about the Pacific War at a larger level (and on a small map). Another very interesting design at that level of abstraction is a Japanese wargame named Pacific Fleet.
Francois
- PresterJohn001
- Posts: 382
- Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:45 pm
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
ORIGINAL: fcharton
For those curious about the game, the rulebook can be downloaded from Mark Herman's website http://markherman.tripod.com/ (click on the Pacific War link), and very interesting replays can be found on a fansite by another PacWar bordgame designer. http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/user/mst/games/pw.html
On Mark Herman's site is a link to a more recent design, Empire of the Sun, about the Pacific War at a larger level (and on a small map). Another very interesting design at that level of abstraction is a Japanese wargame named Pacific Fleet.
Francois
Empire of the Sun looks a good game. Card driven mechanic i think like Paths of Glory and Twilight Struggle. Its on my want list as is Fire in the Sky, WW2 Pacific Wargame by a Japanese game designer.

- Attachments
-
- fitsk.jpg (18.27 KiB) Viewed 556 times
memento mori
- ilovestrategy
- Posts: 3614
- Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Contact:
RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
Most of my table top was D&D, Boothill, and Gamma World. And my favorite passion, Starfleet Battles. I still have the original counters and maps from the early 80s.
All my D&D stuff too!
All my D&D stuff too!
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

RE: Pacific War - The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
The only tabletop wargame ive ever played was Eastern Front as solitaire. Though my history with DnD goes back to AD&D upto 3.5. Left it at DnD 4th Ed, was not a fan
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born











