Ok forget what you "like" what are you actually playing?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Waylander
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Pattaya, Chonburi, Thailand
Contact:

currently playing

Post by Waylander »

Wargames wise:

SPWAW - constantly, just getting heavy into Desert Fox.
all the talonsoft games.

others:
Age of Mythology
Age of Wonders II
Icewind Dale II
Heroes of Might and Magic IV
and another constant Heroes 3.5 WOG. which is an excellent fan add on to Heroes III shadow of death.

regards
Waylander
"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory. Victory at all costs. Victory in spite of all terrors. Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival."
sandman20
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:01 pm
Location: Finland

Post by sandman20 »

Wargames:

SPWaW: takes most of my free time:D
Operation Flashpoint
Medal Of Honour - Allied Assault

Others:

EASports NHL -series, 2003 currently.
:cool:
Hades
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Hades »

1.Spwaw- I play MCLV until I get so sick of the Russians refusing to retreat then i go play
2.Morrowind- which it the best RPG EVER!! and I play until it crashes then I load up
3. CIV III- which is awesome and I'll play until my stack of 4 elite swordsmen die trying to take a size 3 town defended by a regular spearman:mad: :mad: :mad: then the cycle starts over.

Also taking my time:
Warcraft 3
Operational Art of War
Colonization
Conflict in the Middle East

I also have been playing Vampire: TM and some Dungeons and Dragons.
"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris


Image
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbar ... tual-b-o-b
User avatar
Kraut
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:29 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Kraut »

Originally posted by Hades
[CIV III- which is awesome and I'll play until my stack of 4 elite swordsmen die trying to take a size 3 town defended by a regular spearman:mad: :mad: :mad: then the cycle starts over.

[/B]
Some of the combat results in CivIII are decidedly odd; I have heard of tanks getting chopped up by swordsmen.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Civ 3 is allowed to be odd though, but when you consider some of the games of Strategic Command being reported at Battlefront, who cares if its a 25 dollar game.

In Civ the units are just attack values and defense values modified by terrain considerations with varying picture icons really.
Basically Civ is just a turn based game with "lifebars". If life bars are ok in an RTS game, well then its ok if swordsman kill tanks in Civ:) (and they wonder why some of us grognards like to put down RTS games hehe).
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
User avatar
Kraut
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:29 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Kraut »

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
Civ 3 is allowed to be odd though, but when you consider some of the games of Strategic Command being reported at Battlefront, who cares if its a 25 dollar game.

In Civ the units are just attack values and defense values modified by terrain considerations with varying picture icons really.
Basically Civ is just a turn based game with "lifebars". If life bars are ok in an RTS game, well then its ok if swordsman kill tanks in Civ:) (and they wonder why some of us grognards like to put down RTS games hehe).

I think it's just sloppiness. The units have all kinds of ratings already, an armor rating would be just one more. Anything that's not strong enough to penetrate the armor wouldn't count, period.

Civ I came out in 1991 (!); in that game spears could sink an aircraft-carrier. Now it's almost 12 years later and Sid Meier couldn't be bothered to correct that in all that time.

The only Civ game with armor ratings is Call to Power II. The values are questionable with some units, but they are better than nothing. You can also download maps and scenarios from www.apolyton.com that make the game playable almost like a real wargame. If you can pick it up for a couple of bucks somewhere you might find it worthwhile.

The combat-system of the Civ games is lifted from Empire, if you remember that old game.

A sub-genre of the Civ-games are the 4X games set in space (the 4X being Xplore, Xpand, Xploit and Xterminate). The best known are the Master of Orion games and also Reach for the Stars. The trouble is that they share all the problems of the Civ games and add some of their own, like poor play-balance; the first one to build a steam-roller fleet wins.

One game that I can recommend is Space Empires IV from Shrapnel Games, now called Space Empires IV Gold. You can modify everything, and graphics excepting do it by rewriting simple .txt files: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/malfador/SEIVGold/
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

I understand your complaints of course Kraut.

My only reason for supporting Civ is that it provides a level playing field.

My sword wielding primtives can do anything your sword wielding primitives can.

But for accuracy true accuracy I turn off the computer and play a real wargame ie a board game against a beer drinking pizza scarfing 30 or more year old grognard. ASL and A3R being I guess by now, the most obviously preferred games by this wargamer.

Accuracy is rarely found on the computer, unless it is with games such as Steel Panthers where the data can be fine tuned to extreme. Realism is rarely found outside of turn based games.
Shooters are all about fun, and accuracy or realism only detract from the fun.

For those that have not yet played or seen played Battlefield 1942, it is currently one of the hottest tickets out there, but don't expect it to make you feel like you are in WW2. Nope it is just 20 or so guys running around playing silly bugger on the net.

Accuracy is merely intrusive in games like Civ where it is fun first and last.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Nixuebrig
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 10:00 am
Location: (c) Lübeck, now Berlin

Post by Nixuebrig »

On PC
Space Empires IV
Battlefield 1942
HPS Napoleon`s Russian Campaign

Tried playing Anstoss 4 , but that is unplayable until it is patched :mad:


Board Games
Empires in Arms
Blood Bowl (if that counts?)
User avatar
Kraut
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:29 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Kraut »

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1


My only reason for supporting Civ is that it provides a level playing field.

My sword wielding primtives can do anything your sword wielding primitives can.

Accuracy is merely intrusive in games like Civ where it is fun first and last.
I get your point, put I'd still like to play a computergame with the scale of Civ and the accuracy of ASL.
User avatar
Kraut
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:29 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Kraut »

Originally posted by Prince
On PC
Space Empires IV
Battlefield 1942
HPS Napoleon`s Russian Campaign

Tried playing Anstoss 4 , but that is unplayable until it is patched :mad:


Board Games
Empires in Arms
Blood Bowl (if that counts?)
Hey, another German Space Empires IV player! There's not many of us, you know.
Nixuebrig
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 10:00 am
Location: (c) Lübeck, now Berlin

Post by Nixuebrig »

Originally posted by Kraut


Hey, another German Space Empires IV player! There's not many of us, you know.
Yep, I know, no one except me knows it :-(
I like it, esp. when you set systems to 255 and units up to 20000.
Those are always epic wars. Any clue where i can get the Babylon 5 Mod?
User avatar
Kraut
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:29 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Kraut »

Originally posted by Prince


Yep, I know, no one except me knows it :-(
I like it, esp. when you set systems to 255 and units up to 20000.
Those are always epic wars. Any clue where i can get the Babylon 5 Mod?
I'm looking as I'm writing this.

Here's a link to a Star Trek TNG Mod (still in beta phase):
http://members.rogers.com/capt-kwok/main.html

There's also this link, seems to be interesting, with a modding tutorial:
http://galileo.spaceports.com/~kazharii/

Here's the official forum for the game:
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/cgi-bin/ul ... forum;f=23
There's a thread on the Babylon 5 mod, I think it's not finished yet:
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/cgi-bin/ul ... 004079;p=1

Hah! Here's the homepage for the mod:
http://www.geocities.com/b5mod/B5ModHome.html :)

It seems that it is playable, but really not finished yet.
Nixuebrig
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2001 10:00 am
Location: (c) Lübeck, now Berlin

Post by Nixuebrig »

Thx for that link, guess the Shadows will have a hard time now:)
User avatar
Marek Tucan
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Kladno, Czech Republic
Contact:

Post by Marek Tucan »

I have sweeped the dust off the Transport Tycoon Deluxe and I have altered it to have real railway vehicles used in the Czechoslovakia and Czech rep...
Tuccy
slickric
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:16 am
Location: Miami
Contact:

Post by slickric »

Les I like that topic "Ok forget what you "like" what are you actually playing? " and I hope you don't mind this Noob calling you Les.

I am playing Hearts Of Iron at the moment and I am a little dissapointed.

I also have Axis and Allies, Uncommon Valor, soldiers of Anarchy and MOHAA Spearhead installed. I love A&A (no more setup and takedown) like with the board game and Uncommon Valor, Spearhead is great and Soldiers Of Anarchy is good but dam 9 missions I played it 4 times in a month!

I have hundreds of games and not many stand up to what I expect a game to be.
Image
Image
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

A lot call me Les (even mom hehe).

Nice to meet you.

The one thing you can say for Axis and Allies you can't say for ANY recent game it seems.

Is that the game is more fun, easier to play, plays fast, plays reasonably, and allows the odd as well as the historical.

I don't know of anyone ever having install troubles, I don't recall it having a history of bugs.

Sure AI was dumb in first release, it still is too.

Who cares, I can play all 5 sides and enjoy the heck out of trying to outwit my best notions for all 5 sides damned cool I say. I have the ole dice to keep lady luck and Mr chance happy too.

It can be played online and with no fuss. You can play it hotseat with no effort.

Sound effects are nice, turn length is about as nice as it gets. Even the no patience at all crowd won't have long enough to wait to get bored.

I have seen Strategic Command and played it. I have walked the forums at Battlefront and seen all the flaws picked over. The fact that they are presented politely there does nothing to alter the fact the game is "fun" but has not given the turn gamer strategic crowd what they wanted.

Not sure what the designer was thinking when they made Hearts of Iron. I was sure anxious to get that one too. Then the comments began to roll past my eyes about how you can do the idiotic with just about any country. And the AI blows, and it's a real time game, so forget trying to play both sides.
As complicated as A3R, just that it has nothing in common with a rational WW2 game.

My new year looks to be targeting Combat Leader, Battlefields, and Uncommon Valour. Not sure if in that order. UV is the only one that is done and on sale.

Disappointment sums me up as well. I am looking to play a lot more board games I think.
Also going to be playing a lot more Steel Panthers Mega Campaigns

Not sure if this is accurate people, but in 10 years I won't be shocked if wargaming is about an online linkup to play a board game online against another, and not about playing a computer wargame.
No one is making anything impressive much beyond Combat Mission and Steel Pantherish games. And you can't make those games indefinitely. Eventually it will be done and finished.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Frank W.
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Siegen + Essen / W. Germany
Contact:

Post by Frank W. »

Originally posted by slickric
Les I like that topic "Ok forget what you "like" what are you actually playing? " and I hope you don't mind this Noob calling you Les.

I am playing Hearts Of Iron at the moment and I am a little dissapointed.

I also have Axis and Allies, Uncommon Valor, soldiers of Anarchy and MOHAA Spearhead installed. I love A&A (no more setup and takedown) like with the board game and Uncommon Valor, Spearhead is great and Soldiers Of Anarchy is good but dam 9 missions I played it 4 times in a month!
one more who is dissapointed with HOI.
What are your reasons?

and a further question: is the MOHAA ad-on
worth the money??

thx

frank
slickric
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:16 am
Location: Miami
Contact:

Post by slickric »

Well Frank W, the whole concept of HOI is in the right direction of war-gaming as well as Uncommon Valor.
The problems I have with HOI are the graphics first, second the missing of events during the game by me, but that just may be me. I also don’t like the detail in the Diplomatic section is so detailed with all the countries and all ;)
and time can go by so fast...lol
Other than that the game is Righteous!
Image
Image
slickric
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:16 am
Location: Miami
Contact:

Post by slickric »

Also Frank W, No the MOHAA add on is not worth the money.
Image
Image
Frank W.
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Siegen + Essen / W. Germany
Contact:

Post by Frank W. »

Originally posted by slickric
Also Frank W, No the MOHAA add on is not worth the money.
you said it is great above....you mean compared to the price
is the value not good enough or so ???

and to HOI: i like very detailed games, the real time component doesn´t disturb me with EU1+2, which i like quite a lot, only to few units, bad combat model + not so good AI were major weak points IMHO.
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”