Carrier operations problem

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Post Reply
User avatar
wolf14455
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:32 pm

Carrier operations problem

Post by wolf14455 »

What do I do wrong when I design a ship for Carrier operations. I designed a Cruiser size ship with only point defence and fighterbays. Standard order was standoff in all instances. When I saw my AI command send this new designed ship to raid a pirate base I zoomed in to watch my first carrier op in this game. To my disapointment it was engaging the base with the point defence(Not sure it was pure PD when come to think of it but some lasers for defence only) Sitting on top of the base nearly and was also attacked by some pirate frigates. The ships fighter and bombers only focused on the base and ship didnt do evasive manouver or standoff moves. Does the AI have difficulties with this new equipment ?
SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59
Bingeling
Posts: 5186
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:42 am

RE: Carrier operations problem

Post by Bingeling »

I am not sure what the effect would be, but I would try set the design to "evade". As long as it does not jump out of the system, it should do what you want.

I think standoff is hanging back and fire at the max range of weapons, which would be rather close if only point defenses.

It is fast to try anyways, just select your ship, click the design down left, and twiddle with the top left buttons of the design.
User avatar
Data
Posts: 3909
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:43 pm

RE: Carrier operations problem

Post by Data »

If you don't like the carrier to evade all over the place and not being able to collect it's fughters in time put one long range weapon on it (the longest available) and stick with standoff. Evading should work best though
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Litjan
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:16 am
Location: Butzbach, Germany

RE: Carrier operations problem

Post by Litjan »

I thought this was taken care off already...

tm.asp?m=2655502

Jan

User avatar
Data
Posts: 3909
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:43 pm

RE: Carrier operations problem

Post by Data »

checked the changelogs for the latest patches since then, nothing related to this yet. Given this and the fact that Swedewolf hits it now I think it's still to be resolved.
Let's see the new patch, it should come our way this week.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
User avatar
wolf14455
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:32 pm

RE: Carrier operations problem

Post by wolf14455 »

It could be in the beta patch, havent checked that changelog. Erik maybee got info about date for implementation. Thanx guys, I try the other tips while we wait.
SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59
User avatar
tjhkkr
Posts: 2431
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:15 pm
Contact:

RE: Carrier operations problem

Post by tjhkkr »

Were they intending to allow independant fighter operations?
I thought the fighter concept was along the the lines of SFB: just some additional mobile firepower.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
User avatar
Data
Posts: 3909
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:43 pm

RE: Carrier operations problem

Post by Data »

tj, I think that depends on what independent fighter operations means for each of us....I think they are intending to have them separate engagement stances from the carrier, not sure if they will go any further than this. So from this point of view yes, they are additional mobile firepower.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
User avatar
Mofouler
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:54 am

RE: Carrier operations problem

Post by Mofouler »

Personally I think fighters should be given system wide range :/. Maybe not the earlier versions but the more hightech advanced ones should be able to protect an entire system. Specially ones from bases. Just the other day pirate escort took came into my system but attacked a mining base that was 2 far away from the defense batteries. If the fighters had launched they could have stopped it. Maybe it will be added in later patches
You lost the game
Bingeling
Posts: 5186
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:42 am

RE: Carrier operations problem

Post by Bingeling »

That would maybe make the system defense part too easy. Any system with a space port would be completely safe from annoying pirates, and placing some fighter bays in each major mining system would also be cheap. For instance add a destroyer full of fighter bays to sit idle at the sun.
User avatar
Mofouler
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:54 am

RE: Carrier operations problem

Post by Mofouler »

You make a valid point. But I think pirates should increase by difficulty based on the average military strength of all empires in the game.
You lost the game
User avatar
J HG T
Posts: 1093
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 4:06 am
Location: Kiadia Prime

RE: Carrier operations problem

Post by J HG T »

ORIGINAL: Mofouler

You make a valid point. But I think pirates should increase by difficulty based on the average military strength of all empires in the game.

We concur.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
User avatar
wolf14455
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:32 pm

RE: Carrier operations problem

Post by wolf14455 »

It seams carrier op is not covered in any way on latest beta patch. Corect me please if Im wrong.
SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59
User avatar
tjhkkr
Posts: 2431
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:15 pm
Contact:

RE: Carrier operations problem

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Swedewolf
It seams carrier op is not covered in any way on latest beta patch. Corect me please if Im wrong.

I have myself enjoyed the presentation of fighters.
If you are looking SW style fighters, they DID have some independant capability, and this does not match. [But then even the Empire's T.I.E. fighters did not have much capability beyond fleet defense]
If you are looking for Star Fleet Battles style fighters, I think Distant Worlds are on track... that is just my opinion.
SFB had a fast attack craft called a PF which has roughly the capabilities that you may seek. You might be able to accomplish that by taking your escorts and then REALLY downsizing them with a minimum of weapons and fuel, and you would have that rough capability. I did that myself.
[Thank God for IGARD and his idea of designating one extra ship set as extra hulls for these classes. That is how I am able to keep all these ships with different capabilities straight.]
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
User avatar
Data
Posts: 3909
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:43 pm

RE: Carrier operations problem

Post by Data »

amen to that
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Post Reply

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”