V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
Thanks for the detailed numbers on the German Rifle Squads, how to find them, and steps to maximize. May seem tedious but an army runs on logistics.
I have made notes and will apply accordingly.
I have made notes and will apply accordingly.
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
ORIGINAL: JAMiAM
It will NOT happen anymore, for games started with v 1.03 Beta 3, and beyond, due to the morale changes. Those are things of the past.ORIGINAL: BigAnorak
The Slovaks are borderline, but the Hungarians and Rumanians morale needs to be in the 70s to give them any chance of surviving an attack, and we have seen some players train them up to this level.
Let me rephrase that...
It won't happen, unless you keep them away from the frontlines, in good supply, for a 100 turns, or so. They won't be able to get that high in combat anymore. Unless, of course, you're running an old version, or have grandfathered in some high morale Axis minors from a game started with the earlier versions. Training them up in combat is a fool's errand these days.
The way I understand the morale changes there's a chance a unit loses a point if it's morale is over 30 above the national morale; the Axis minors can still reach 70 ( that's 30 above their national 40 ), the problem is holding it.
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
ORIGINAL: BigAnorak
But population can leave some of the bigger towns. So, is that die roll based on the towns ACTUAL Manpower, or the CAPACITY? If it's originally a size-4 town, but 1 Manpower took off, is the die roll 4 or 3?
Good point; don't know; will kick it upstairs.
Bob: Did you ever find out the answer?
- karonagames
- Posts: 4701
- Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:05 am
- Location: The Duchy of Cornwall, nr England
-
JocMeister
- Posts: 8258
- Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 am
- Location: Sweden
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
Just went through my first winter. Ouch!
Thought I was doing fine up until turn 34 when 16th Army just crumbled. Soon after that most of AGC buckled and routed. AGS had done extremly well thou! And I will never ever complain about the Romanians again. They held their own! [X(]
Your guide was very helpful thou! [:)]
Thought I was doing fine up until turn 34 when 16th Army just crumbled. Soon after that most of AGC buckled and routed. AGS had done extremly well thou! And I will never ever complain about the Romanians again. They held their own! [X(]
Your guide was very helpful thou! [:)]

RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
HUH? The Romanians crumble like a deck of cards stacked on edge. Except for the mountain brigades. Just about every Russian will aim right for the 11th Army sector during the winter just for that reason.
-
JocMeister
- Posts: 8258
- Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 am
- Location: Sweden
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
Just stack them high and deep! I rotated them around when damage started to get to high! I put a whole bunch of them on digging trenches behind there own lines. So fresh ones in the front and the damaged one digging. Worked wonders! [:)]

RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
I'm about to enter my second blizzard. In my first blizzard I tried building a fort line on the Dnepr and rivers all the way to Leningrad. You can only guess how that went.
Now I'm reading in the manual that first blizzard rules only apply east of the 72 hex line. In the northern and central regions. This means a little east of the Baltic rail line/Minsk. In the southern region, hexes south of the northern Romanian border with the U.S.S.R and roughly south of Kirovograd, the region extends west into Romania. If I read this correct, your units west of these lines don't suffer the debilitating first winter rules. So why all the fuss about shipping units to the Europe weather zone? Just move anything you want to preserve to the Minsk region.
Am I missing something here?
Now I'm reading in the manual that first blizzard rules only apply east of the 72 hex line. In the northern and central regions. This means a little east of the Baltic rail line/Minsk. In the southern region, hexes south of the northern Romanian border with the U.S.S.R and roughly south of Kirovograd, the region extends west into Romania. If I read this correct, your units west of these lines don't suffer the debilitating first winter rules. So why all the fuss about shipping units to the Europe weather zone? Just move anything you want to preserve to the Minsk region.
Am I missing something here?
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
Nope, any area that says blizzard will see your units get clobbered. 11th Army will crumble with a few love taps from a few Russians.
Your German infantry will be roughly 2CV with a lot of 1CV after the first full blizzard turn and then they get massacred.
Your German infantry will be roughly 2CV with a lot of 1CV after the first full blizzard turn and then they get massacred.
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
Hmm...must be an error in the manual then....
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
Not sure but I know for sure that anything east of Odessa is toast down south.
Once Jan hits you will find a lot of your German infantry div with 7000 men and heading for unready status.
Once Jan hits you will find a lot of your German infantry div with 7000 men and heading for unready status.
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
Infanteer may have the basic idea correct; any area with a blizzard is bad, it's the areas mentioned in the manual where there is the first-blizzard penalty.
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
Maybe. Not sure. I start the blizzard with a box of tissues anyway.
But I am trying the slow pull back method and it does have some promise. but after about 3 turns of blizzard, the divisions are getting critical manpower wise.
But I am trying the slow pull back method and it does have some promise. but after about 3 turns of blizzard, the divisions are getting critical manpower wise.
- sillyflower
- Posts: 3509
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:39 pm
- Location: Back in Blighty
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
ORIGINAL: 2ndACR
Maybe. Not sure. I start the blizzard with a box of tissues anyway.
So do Russian players (sorry)
web exchange
Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi
Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi
Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
- sillyflower
- Posts: 3509
- Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:39 pm
- Location: Back in Blighty
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
My opponent is trying von Robin. Total axis casualties by end of winter likely to be only 1.5M and he has 400K manpower and arms point to spare (mid Jan)
However Russian front line likely to be Riga-Minsk- Vitebsk-Odessa or possibly quite a bit further West down there. Finns have Leningrad. Interesting to see how long it will take to crush him as we are playing to historical result not game VPs
However Russian front line likely to be Riga-Minsk- Vitebsk-Odessa or possibly quite a bit further West down there. Finns have Leningrad. Interesting to see how long it will take to crush him as we are playing to historical result not game VPs
web exchange
Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi
Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi
Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
2 questions:
1> Is there anyway to adjust TOE through Commander's Report for an entire family of formations. For example I can select 'Yth Army' units, but this only shows subordinate hq's and combat formations directly attached to this army. If I know I have a certain Army in the rear that I want to adjust TOE for, do I need to manually click each subordinate HQ, to set the TOE for the combat units assigned to that HQ (and each division to set TOE for attached SU) or am I missing something?
2> When you say, adjust TOE of SU that use artillery, do you mean any SU that uses guns? like FlAK, AT guns etc. Or just the units that show when you click on 'Art'
1> Is there anyway to adjust TOE through Commander's Report for an entire family of formations. For example I can select 'Yth Army' units, but this only shows subordinate hq's and combat formations directly attached to this army. If I know I have a certain Army in the rear that I want to adjust TOE for, do I need to manually click each subordinate HQ, to set the TOE for the combat units assigned to that HQ (and each division to set TOE for attached SU) or am I missing something?
2> When you say, adjust TOE of SU that use artillery, do you mean any SU that uses guns? like FlAK, AT guns etc. Or just the units that show when you click on 'Art'
- karonagames
- Posts: 4701
- Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:05 am
- Location: The Duchy of Cornwall, nr England
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
> Is there anyway to adjust TOE through Commander's Report for an entire family of formations. For example I can select 'Yth Army' units, but this only shows subordinate hq's and combat formations directly attached to this army. If I know I have a certain Army in the rear that I want to adjust TOE for, do I need to manually click each subordinate HQ, to set the TOE for the combat units assigned to that HQ (and each division to set TOE for attached SU) or am I missing something?
2> When you say, adjust TOE of SU that use artillery, do you mean any SU that uses guns? like FlAK, AT guns etc. Or just the units that show when you click on 'Art'
Re 1: Yes, via the CR report if you click on the HQ tab, you can drill down from high to low level formations.
Re 2: Yes, every flak and AT "tube" costs armaments points, so the demand needs to be reduced.
It's only a Game
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
ORIGINAL: BigAnorak
If you click on the Production report (p), then look at the line for rifle squads, you will see a number in the right hand column (units). If you click on this you will see this:
Im being dense here, but i cant see any line that specifically lets me sort by rifle squads here. Can someone help?
"Gauls! We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall on our heads tomorrow. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes!!" - Chief Vitalstatistix
RE: V1.03 Blizzard survival guide
Follow BA's instructions explicitly.ORIGINAL: coolts
ORIGINAL: BigAnorak
If you click on the Production report (p), then look at the line for rifle squads, you will see a number in the right hand column (units). If you click on this you will see this:
Im being dense here, but i cant see any line that specifically lets me sort by rifle squads here. Can someone help?
1. Click on Info Screens Tab
2. Click on Production Report
3. Scan down to the production item Ge Rifle Squads.
4. In the right-most column for this line entry, click on the hyperlinked number (number of units using this item).
5. You now have the Commanders Report open and showing units with Ge Rifle Squads as part of their TOE.
6. Look in the information near the top of this report, and you will see the total number of ready Ge Rifle Squads.
7. Done.





