Summary - The Union forces fled in the face of our superior army. We captured two Union brigades and several brigades worth of Muskets and Minie rifles. An empty army contained on the Union side was part of the battle. I think the troops were reluctant to follow that general into the fight. If that container would have been full, this could have been epic.
Summary - This was a hard fought battle, but our boys emerged victorious. A Union brigade surrendered during the course of the fighting and several brigades' worth of armaments were scavanged from the battlefield.
Attachments
kenewhafeb1862start.jpg (283.79 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Summary - After Hallaeck repulsed Jackson at Grafton, he followed-up his victory with an attack on the retreating Rebels. Jackson, ever aware, conducted a fighting retreat, and at the most opportune time, launched a counter offensive with the help of a division stationed in Kenewha. This master stroke crushed the invading Union army.
Attachments
franklinfeb1862start.jpg (312.16 KiB) Viewed 580 times
Summary - Union forces out of Missouri attacked our seige lines at Topeka and forced our boys to abandon their nearly completed seige. It was a hard fought battle, but our lines were made for seiging, not defending. If only they would have been alittle bit faster...
Attachments
topekafeb1862start.jpg (283.15 KiB) Viewed 580 times
Really enjoying your AAR, Ugly Guy. Thanks for posting and please continue to.
One question, are you playing out your battles or quick playing them?
I play quick battle exclusively. It makes the game alittle tougher, but my motivation is not masochism. Its mainly due to the fact that I like to play some complete games and may schedule doesn't allow me much time to play.
1. I am going to move Lee into Memphis. His intiative has been suspect thus far, but if I move in this turn, I can keep Ft. Pillow from falling and drive the Union back. I should have enough forces to do just that.
2. Bragg will continue to move up to join with Lee in Western Tennessee.
3. I need to avoid over extending in West Virginia. Previous battles were stalemates, but I was losing more men than they were which is not good.
4. I have both blockade runners up which will increase my rsource intake
5. A play through in another campaign revealed to me that raiders are 100 horses, not 100 money like I thought before. I will be making these as I have spare horses. The steal weapons function will prove to be very useful. This will also help me dump spare horses, which I will have a fair amount of, especially once I slow down on camps and plantations.
6. I will continue to wait for KY to show its hand. Hopefully it will chose the cause of the just.
7. Getting forced out of Topeka hurts. I almost had that captured. Boo on the RNG. While the city itself is nothing special, it is the gateway towards moving north and east, as the AI usually guards Jefferson City well.
I have made some edits on some of my original posts as some of my information was outdated or just plain wrong. While my basic strategy still is the same, I have modified some small components of it.
SecWar Report:
1. Converted the Knoxville Militia in Kenewha to an artillery battery. The extra firepower there will help to hold off the Union aggression.
2. ~4200 minimally trained reinforcements were integrated into existing brigades.
3. General Lee attacked the Union forces seiging Fort Pillow. Details about the attack to follow.
4. Gen. Bragg has moved into north Alabama where he is to join with the newly created Corp structure out of Jackson. The creation of the corp structure means we will need an additional 3-star general. We recommend deferring this decision for now until combat experience can reveal the best candidate.
5. Union forces in KY have moved west into the Mississippi River area to coordinate maneuvers with the Army there commanded by Buell.
6. General Jackson moves into the undefended province of Grafton.
7. General Loring moves his division into the surprisingly undefended Parkersburg.
8. It appears that Union armies have vacated western Virginia and eastern Kentucky. We recommend securing west Virginia and commencing seige operations on Wheeling as soon as feasible.
9. Rumor has it that Hallecks division has moved out of western Virginia and appears to be in Maryland. We fear it may try to move south into the Shenandoah. Recommend recalling Jackson's corp to prevent this.
SecInt Report:
1. Began construction on a camp in Milledgeville and Shreveport.
2. A mine in Augusta and a camp in Austin have finished construction.
SecNav Report:
1. Blockade runners brought in 45 units of iron. The union navy has begun blockades of Norfolk and Wilmington. This has caused some minor concern among the governors of these respective states.
SecState Report:
1. French support for us has risen again. We are again being approached by weapons dealers. Advise on whether any purchases should be negotiated.
2. European proper support for the Confederacy showed some signs of life before the persuasion of Federal gold again closed off these avenues for us.
3. More Confederate victories will be needed to reopen the stalled negotiations with the British.
Summary: While roughly even in numbers, Confederate forces used their superior defensive positions to devastating effect. Southern forces took ~4200 men killed, wounded, or captured; while Federal losses amounted to ~11000 men killed, wounded, or captured. The entire US 56th Infantry surrendered to our forces, and it is reported that Union generals J.G. Barnard and H. Haupt were wounded during the fighting. Roughly a brigade's worth of muskets were also scrounged from the battlefield to rearm our boys.
Attachments
memphisfeb1862end.jpg (361.09 KiB) Viewed 582 times
1. I will probably move Lee back out of Memphis. Probably do a preemptive move into the Tennessee River, just to head off an advance to Ft. Donalson
2. Bragg will continue to move up to join with Lee in Western Tennessee.
3. I am going to take what the Union is giving in West Virginia. I will probably begin a seige on Wheeling.
4. I look for the Union to make a play for the Shenendoah. Although this is speculative.
5. I will try to work towards an artillery brigade in A.S. Johnston's army and one in Jackson's corp as well.
6. I seem to have a surplus in iron right now, but that is more due to me not making many banks. I will use it to convert some artillery regiments and then start building banks/camps.
7. Hopefully the Union moves away from Topeka soon so I can make a move in that direction. I may pull my forces back to attempt to alleviate that apparent threat there.
8. If I am lucky, KY will declare for me this turn. That would allow me to muster there in the next turn.
9. The Union may also may another play for Fredericksburg. I am not to worried about that as of now.
SecWar Report:
1. Converted the 1st Florida Volunteers to an artillery battery. This will provide some heavy firepower for the Army of Kentucky.
2. Started construction of a corp container in Jackson and a Raider in Mobile.
3. General Floyd failed to act on orders to move into Wheeling.
4. General Jackson moved to the Shenendoah Valley to defend against an impending attack. The Union forces feinted and then moved into the newly vacated Grafton instead.
5. Union forces are rumored to have moved back into Wheeling. Our window of opportunity may have closed there.
6. General Lee failed to move west to between the rivers to defend western Tennessee. He says his forces are still recovering from their victory in Memphis. This delay allowed the Union to capture Hatchie.
7. Union forces have also seized the vacated Ft. Henry.
8. Union forces pushed our two divisions in Missouri back into Arkansas. Our generals wisely withdrew in the face of overwhelming odds, preserving their forces for a future counterattack.
9. The Federals, again, pressed an attack at Fredericksburg. Details of this battle will follow.
10. General Bragg has reorganize his forces into the corp container group in N. Mississippi. We advise moving him into General Lee's army.
11. Our forces have completed Target Practive Level 1 training. They are now officially move of a hazard to the enemy than they are themselves.
SecInt Report:
1. Began construction on a camp in Tallahassee.
2. A camp in each Milledgeville and Shreveport has finished construction.
3. Advise moving up the Florida railroad station in the priority list. Would like to see this built at the first available instance of enough iron.
4. Governor Harris no longer requests brigades for his state's defense.
SecNav Report:
1. Blockade runners in the Gulf of Texas brought in 45 units of money.
2. Blockade runners in New England have sustained damage and will require putting to port. Estimated time of 6 weeks for repairs once they reach port. Will take them about a month to reach NO for repair.
SecState Report:
1. French support for us has risen again. Hopefully more French smugglers will be likely to bring us goods.
2. The British gave us mixed signs in the past few weeks, first opening up communications before things became frosty again. Not sure what to make of the current situation. More battlefield victories would always be welcome news here.
Summary: This began as an even battle as well, but it soon became clear that the Union had called for reinforcements from Washington to assist in the fight. It was estimated that another 30k Union troops joined the fight at some time. Despite being outnumbered, our boys put up a valiant fight inflicting roughly twice the casualties that they received, ~4300 vs. ~9100. Two Union brigades, the US 139th and Sykes' Regulars surrendered to us during the course of the battle. Our courageous general, R.E. Rhodes, was wounded during the fighting, but he has shown signs of recovery since the battle ended. Our forces also seized three brigade's of Minie rifles and Hood's brigade rearmed with some Springfields, courtesy of Sykes' Regulars.
Attachments
fredmarch1862end.jpg (361.95 KiB) Viewed 582 times