Cost of games in todays gaming world!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

slickric
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:16 am
Location: Miami
Contact:

Post by slickric »

Well Les u are right! I will fight back. I must give a shout out for Matrix Games though, as Uncommon Valor was worth the money as will war in the pacific (but 70$ wow that will be the most i ever paid for any game PC that is.
Image
Image
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

The best way to determine the credible worth of a game is also from your fellow wargamers.

Listen to the views of the fan base. See what they like dislike about the game.

Currently the only reason I have for purchasing Strategic Command right now, is the opinions of a single person over at Battlefront.

I take the views of die hard Advanced Third Reich players that can speak eloquently, seriously.

The views of a reviewer for instance, that doesn't like wargames, and only played the game because he has a test copy and gets paid to review games, is a bad choice of opinion.

That and you have to be wary of the gushing flowery based lovin reviewers. Remember it's your money not theirs.

And always seek opinions on forums that are not home to the game or supportive o competing designs.

You will for instance get little accurate input of a negative sort for Steel Panthers at Matrix, just as showing up at Battlefront and putting down Combat Mission might be a bad notion.
Its only logical. A game will always have its completely devout followers.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
slickric
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:16 am
Location: Miami
Contact:

Post by slickric »

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
The best way to determine the credible worth of a game is also from your fellow wargamers.

Listen to the views of the fan base. See what they like dislike about the game.

Currently the only reason I have for purchasing Strategic Command right now, is the opinions of a single person over at Battlefront.

I take the views of die hard Advanced Third Reich players that can speak eloquently, seriously.

The views of a reviewer for instance, that doesn't like wargames, and only played the game because he has a test copy and gets paid to review games, is a bad choice of opinion.

That and you have to be wary of the gushing flowery based lovin reviewers. Remember it's your money not theirs.

And always seek opinions on forums that are not home to the game or supportive o competing designs.

You will for instance get little accurate input of a negative sort for Steel Panthers at Matrix, just as showing up at Battlefront and putting down Combat Mission might be a bad notion.
Its only logical. A game will always have its completely devout followers.
I actually bought the Steel Panthers series and i liked it very much but most of my friends did not like it. Another game series that wont run on windows XP :(
Image
Image
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Actually that is not entirely true Slickric.

I run XP myself, just the other day I was contemplating re installing Win 98 (I messed it up wih a new video card).

Win 98 is my secondary OS though, I run XP as my primary OS.

I was cruising my games seeing if there is any real point to putting crummy 98 back on at all though.

In the process of installing games, I can say that if you install Steel Panthers original version, well of course why are you not using Steel Panthers WaW 7.1 in the first place hehe.

But I installed both Steel Panthers 2 Modern Battles as well as Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat.

They both install and run on an XP machine.

The autorun on SP2 snubbed me so I went into the cd and executed the setup file directly. The game uses a mode of mouse I guess that I call mud mouse. There is supposed to be a fix out there somewhere to handle that though.
The game crapped out my screen on exit though, no biggie, just turn off computer eh.
I could not find a satisfactory uninstall routine though.

SP3 had a functional autorun and it provides its own shortcuts. Otherwise the mouse and monitor comments are the same.

I think by and large, the comments might be similar with the downloadable updated free software versions found at Wargamer.

I would have to say, that a person would have to reeeeeally want to play SP2 or 3 to really put up with them though. The mouse part makes the game a nuisance, but they do play correctly.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
User avatar
Marc von Martial
Posts: 5292
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Bonn, Germany
Contact:

Post by Marc von Martial »

I actually bought the Steel Panthers series and i liked it very much but most of my friends did not like it. Another game series that wont run on windows XP


Well it runs on both my XP machines without any problems.
AlBW
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:54 pm
Location: Middle of the center strip

Post by AlBW »

If a game maker makes a game that is worthless I burn them with my opinion.
I also don't buy anything else from them. I let their company die.
If a game is made well and it delivers on it's promises then I am happy.
To use someone else's restaurant analogy, if I get a bad meal, I won't eat there again. Wargames a similar. Having gamed many years, I've been burned more times than I care to remember. Almost gave up on gaming altogether. However, companies such as HPS and Matrix came along (to use my two favorites as examples) and sort of "restored my faith". Some games I have from them I play a lot, and others I have played very little. Fortunately, I have the means to support their efforts. In the unlikely event either company was to produce a "clunker" I would still be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. To other companies I would not extend such consideration.

Just my .02
Al
Les_the_Sarge_9_1
Posts: 3943
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 10:00 am

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Personally I think Matrix went to far trying to please us with remake after remake of Steel Panthers WaW just to satisfy ever last fringe opinion.

Now to contrast, the recent game of Hearts of Iron is such wretched filth, that you can assume I could care less what the makers might try to do with it, or any other game for that matter.

Yet another example, Strategic Command. My feelings there are merely fussy design opinion. But I can't fault the game for being lousy software. It has lots that like it, even hard to please board gamers.
So Battlefront is a good company option.

It always pays to get fan comments etc though.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
AlBW
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:54 pm
Location: Middle of the center strip

Post by AlBW »

Personally I think Matrix went to far trying to please us with remake after remake of Steel Panthers WaW just to satisfy ever last fringe opinion.
So do I. But, I won't argue with the final result.
Al
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”