The various "List All" screens

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Post Reply
User avatar
Fred98
Posts: 4019
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Wollondilly, Sydney

The various "List All" screens

Post by Fred98 »

WITP will have many more bases and many more units than Uncommon Valour. I would like to glance at a screen and from that glance make important decisions.

In my requests below, the information is already available to the player, all I am asking is that some information appear on 2 or more screens, thereby making it somewhat easier for the player to access.



The LIST ALL BASES screen
= = = = = = = = = = = = =

The main objective of the game is to achieve more victory points than your opponent. The majority of points come from building up bases.

One thing I need to know is whether it is worth building up a base before the end of the scenario. Therefore I need some columns added to this screen.

1. The victory point value of each base at the start of this turn - assuming the game ended now.

2. The estimated point value should the scenario go full term. The calculation would assume that there are no troops move to or from the base and that no further supplies are added to or removed from this base. This makes the calculation simple. It’s only intended to be an indication.

3. The current base size and the maximum base size for air bases and for ports. I don’t want to inadvertently attempt to build a base beyond its maximum size




The LIST ALL TASK FORCES screen
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Currently there is a column with the destination of each TF. But I need to know whether a task force actually completed its mission. Sometimes they React to Enemy and change their destination to home. To me this is a great weakness of the game.

So I need to know whether the TF is returning home because it completed its mission or whether it was Reacting to Enemy. Currently, to check each TF one at a time is very mundane.

A column “mission completed / not completed” would be useful.



The LIST ALL LAND BASED AIRCRAFT screen
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I need to know the current order issued to each squadron, to ensure that each squadron is busy. Please add a column.

The experience and fatigue levels.

Also I need to know, without going in and out of all the base screens, whether there is enough aviation support at their current base. A column “is the aviation support at this base adequate Y or N” would be useful. I know that the aviation support - available / required - is shown in the base screen but again this would improve navigation for the players.




The LIST ALL NAVAL BASED AIRCRAFT screen
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Like their land based brethren, I need a column added showing the current orders to each squadron.

The experience and fatigue levels




The LIST ALL GROUND UNITS screen
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The current orders.

The assault level.

And whether, at the hex in question, there are enough Supplies and Support for the ground troops stationed at that hex. Of course this is a reference to ALL the troops in the hex – not just the unit in question. Both these figures are available from the base screen but this extra column would improve navigation for the players.

Whether the unit is marching between bases.

Whether the units are aboard a transport ship. If so the TF number and a link to that TF.

Whether the unit is currently being transported by aircraft transports.

If they are currently being transported or marching, the base transporting from and the base transporting to and a link to those bases.



For ALL screens
= = = = = = =

The ability to grab the list with the mouse and move it around my monitor. Inevitably the hex I need to study is directly underneath.

The notepad idea I posted in another thread – the ability to open and type into the notepad and have a List All screen open at the same time.
WW2'er
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: East Dundee, IL, USA

Post by WW2'er »

Excellent suggestions Joe!

With WITP being so big, screens like this become even more important to have. Please try to move creation of these types of screens up on you list of priorities for WITP, Matrix. (Said respectfully.)

Thanks!
WW2'er

"That [state] which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." — Thucydides, 'The Peloponnesian Wars'
User avatar
MemoryLeak
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Woodland, CA USA

Post by MemoryLeak »

My two cents, on the TF screen could we have an ETA to the destination hex. This would make it easier to coordinate arrival times for an operation. I'd also like to see an ETA box on the window display that is used to set TF destination so I know when that TF is going to arrive. That way I could change it's path to make it arrive sooner/later.
If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”