ETA on expac?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

User avatar
Shark7
Posts: 7936
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: The Big Nowhere

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Data
In the mean time I'm interested in sunning myself on a beach in Arizona.

Why not get all our asses there, this way we can speculate about the expansion release date without feeling the impact of being overly optimistic....though we might forget about it alltogether [:)]

Hmm, a beach in Arizona...getting us all there...yeah, good luck with that. [:'(]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
User avatar
J HG T
Posts: 1093
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 4:06 am
Location: Kiadia Prime

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by J HG T »

Never say never, Shark7!

Image

GET IN THE VAN!
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
MaxyGamer
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:33 am

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by MaxyGamer »

There ain't gonna be another expansion. This is it. You'r playing the best space strategy game on earth. No need no expand it any further. We've got it all. .... We have the best version of the game. The final product. ..... Seriously now. You don't have to stop playing the game knowing that a better version of is it to be released soon. All you have to do is just keep telling yourself that this is it. Nobody is working on this game any longer since they have pretty uch perfected it.....

I HATE when an expansion talk starts. Developers drop a hint that we are going to update your game and make it even better and that's it. That kills it for me. I simply CANNOT wait for the expansion! It ...is... too painful *cries* ....Look...Look.... I... I want me mommy....
User avatar
ehsumrell1
Posts: 2529
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:53 am
Location: The Briar Patch Nebula
Contact:

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: MaxyGamer

I HATE when an expansion talk starts. Developers drop a hint that we are going to update your game and make it even better and that's it. That kills it for me. I simply CANNOT wait for the expansion! It ...is... too painful *cries* ....Look...Look.... I... I want me mommy....
It's okay Maxy.... Listen, just visit Igard's Cargo Bay, drink some
of his vintage Romulan Ale and get a neck rub by one of his 'few'
remaining Orion Slave Girls (before they're all stolen) [:D]

Everything will be MUCH better! [:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
User avatar
Data
Posts: 3909
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:43 pm

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by Data »

Yap, just don't think about the expan....arghhh, nooo, not again
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
User avatar
tjhkkr
Posts: 2431
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:15 pm
Contact:

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: cookie monster
In the mean time I'm interested in sunning myself on a beach in Arizona.

I thought the beaches in Arizona are called deserts???
Does Arizona have any coast line? I just checked a map... it does not.

Either IGard is doing a really good job 'cloaking' Mexico, or Cookie Monster has gotten into the Romulan Ale. [8D]
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
User avatar
ehsumrell1
Posts: 2529
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:53 am
Location: The Briar Patch Nebula
Contact:

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr
ORIGINAL: cookie monster
In the mean time I'm interested in sunning myself on a beach in Arizona.

I thought the beaches in Arizona are called deserts???
Does Arizona have any coast line? I just checked a map... it does not.

Either IGard is doing a really good job 'cloaking' Mexico, or Cookie Monster has gotten into the Romulan Ale. [8D]

Those damn Orion Slave Girls can REALLY make one hallucinate can't they!

Wow....beaches in Arizona....lol!
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
User avatar
Kayoz
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:55 pm
Location: Timbuktu
Contact:

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

I thought the beaches in Arizona are called deserts???
Does Arizona have any coast line? I just checked a map... it does not.

Either IGard is doing a really good job 'cloaking' Mexico, or Cookie Monster has gotten into the Romulan Ale. [8D]

Image
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
User avatar
tjhkkr
Posts: 2431
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:15 pm
Contact:

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
ORIGINAL: tjhkkr
ORIGINAL: cookie monster
In the mean time I'm interested in sunning myself on a beach in Arizona.

I thought the beaches in Arizona are called deserts??? Does Arizona have any coast line? I just checked a map... it does not. Either IGard is doing a really good job 'cloaking' Mexico, or Cookie Monster has gotten into the Romulan Ale. [8D]

Those damn Orion Slave Girls can REALLY make one hallucinate can't they!
Wow....beaches in Arizona....lol!

So I am booking my vacation: where is the best beach in Arizona? Can I get some Romulan Ale...
I can see it now: me on that beach... catching some rays, Romulan Ale, my favorite book... rattle snakes, tarantulas, area 51 (wait that is in Nevada.)

Okay guys cut me some slack: we have had so much rain in StL, it would not surprise me if Mexico was flooded out. [:D]
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
User avatar
tjhkkr
Posts: 2431
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:15 pm
Contact:

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by tjhkkr »

You want the ultimate: I googled Arizona Beaches...
http://beaches.uptake.com/arizona.html

So today I happily unveil to you a great suggestion:
We should have the first ever DW:ROTS Convention there on the wonderful beaches of Flagstaff.
Ever wanted to meet the face behind Erik and Elliot, come to the first annual DW:ROTS Convention...

[:D]
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
solops
Posts: 1094
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Central Texas

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by solops »

You guys need to be a little more patient with posts like that from the OP. Not all of us frequent the forums that much or that thoroughly. Frankly, this is the first I have heard of a post-RoTS expansion and I am quite intrigued. Where can I find out about it? What news about it is there, including vague timing, i.e. 2011, 2012...? Any general ideas about what may or may not be in it? For those of us for which this expansion is news, these are legitimate questions. Matrix is not well organised on disseminating information in a coherent and easy to find fashion, but they usually get there eventually.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
User avatar
Kayoz
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:55 pm
Location: Timbuktu
Contact:

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: solops

Where can I find out about it?

There's no way to find out any information, aside from digging through their PHPBBS forums. It's a sore point with me - but Erik has said improvements are being considered.

ORIGINAL: solops

What news about it is there, including vague timing, i.e. 2011, 2012...?

The fact that Erik has announced it - albeit informally, I'd expect it "soon". IMO, that means somewhere Q4 of this year. They'd probably want to jump on the X-Mas marketing bandwagon - so a Nov/Dec release wouldn't be a surprise.

*edit*
Actually, I take that back. I don't see any difference between an "official announcement" on the Matrix home page, and an announcement by Erik, posting on the forums in his official capacity. Both hold the weight of being "official announcements", with the only difference being the prominence of the former.
ORIGINAL: solops

Any general ideas about what may or may not be in it?

See above regarding finding information. The following is what I've managed to find from Erik's sporadic posts.

Teasers from Erik so far:
- event-triggered space creatures (ie: event triggers creation and/or behaviour (and/or) characteristic change of space creature)
- Territory / Borders
- Unique Faction / Species characteristics and abilities, including victory conditions
- Leaders / Characters for each Faction, of various types and abilities, with the ability to improve
- Allow assignment of high-level objective to automated fleets – defend area, attack enemy, etc
- Offensive settings (do not attack, attack in area, attack in radius)
- Defensive settings (center of operations, local defense, defend system or sector, rapid response)
- Allow display of fleet objectives on either fleet screen and/or on galaxy or galaxy map screen as overlay

ORIGINAL: solops

For those of us for which this expansion is news, these are legitimate questions.

More importantly - it can easily translate into pre-order sales. This, however, does not seem to be a priority for Matrix.
ORIGINAL: solops

Matrix is not well organised on disseminating information in a coherent and easy to find fashion, but they usually get there eventually.

Is eventually damaging their market presence? What would the cost-benefit return on improvements to Matrix marketing promulgation? But hey - I have a rather weak locus standi; it's for Matrix to decide.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
User avatar
Igard
Posts: 2282
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:43 am
Location: Scotland

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by Igard »

I wonder if J HG T has anymore popcorn left...
User avatar
Data
Posts: 3909
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:43 pm

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by Data »

Seems I'm next in line after you...should I bring the ale or you? Actually, it's the same ale so doesn't matter
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
User avatar
J HG T
Posts: 1093
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 4:06 am
Location: Kiadia Prime

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by J HG T »

You can keep all the popcorn. They lost their taste for me years ago. *Throws the family sized bag to Igard and Data*
Actually, why I'm even watcing this when I could be playing DW, Guilty Gear X2 or Alpha centauri. Bye lads! *Runs away*
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
User avatar
Igard
Posts: 2282
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:43 am
Location: Scotland

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by Igard »

Yeah, you're right. Let's go play games.  
User avatar
Data
Posts: 3909
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:43 pm

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by Data »

well, somebody has to stay and make sure the little kid behaves
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
User avatar
Kayoz
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:55 pm
Location: Timbuktu
Contact:

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Data

well, somebody has to stay and make sure the little kid behaves

I guess Igard is playing with himself, then.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
User avatar
ehsumrell1
Posts: 2529
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:53 am
Location: The Briar Patch Nebula
Contact:

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by ehsumrell1 »

I think it's time to s t r e t c h my finger and press the green button!
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
User avatar
Kayoz
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:55 pm
Location: Timbuktu
Contact:

RE: ETA on expac?

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

I think it's time to s t r e t c h my finger and press the green button!

That is one way to eliminate the completely off-topic posts which serve no purpose other than to increment someone's post-count.

Or you could just ask them what their popcorn comments have to do with the issue at hand - that being the ETA of the expansion, and perhaps get them to illuminate us poor souls on the wisdom their dorky gifs contribute to the discussion.

The responses should be interesting - though I suspect they won't go beyond the usual excuses for trolling.

Ref:
wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community." - by the common definition, what they're doing is TROLLING.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Post Reply

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”