Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21
-
FredSanford3
- Posts: 544
- Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:22 pm
Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
The manual says that 2 or more Soviet Rifle Brigades can build up into Rifle Divisions, effective from the start of the game.
How is this done? The 'b' key doesn't work. They are not Naval brigades, they have movement points remaining, I have plenty of AP's (though I don't see where there's an AP cost for this) and they're in movement mode. What am I missing?
How is this done? The 'b' key doesn't work. They are not Naval brigades, they have movement points remaining, I have plenty of AP's (though I don't see where there's an AP cost for this) and they're in movement mode. What am I missing?
_______________________
I'll think about putting something here one of these days...
I'll think about putting something here one of these days...
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
I believe, its april or may 42, so until then you cant do it.
-
FredSanford3
- Posts: 544
- Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:22 pm
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
There's a mistake in the manual then. Here's the exact language:
7.5.3.1. SOVIET BUILDUP AND BREAKDOWN AVAILABILITY
The Soviet ability to buildup or breakdown units is determined by date and type of unit as follows:
Rifle Division (22 June 41): Two or more rifle brigades can buildup into a rifle division. Note that Soviet rifle divisions may not breakdown into brigades. Naval brigades cannot buildup into divisions. See below for buildup of airborne brigades.
7.5.3.1. SOVIET BUILDUP AND BREAKDOWN AVAILABILITY
The Soviet ability to buildup or breakdown units is determined by date and type of unit as follows:
Rifle Division (22 June 41): Two or more rifle brigades can buildup into a rifle division. Note that Soviet rifle divisions may not breakdown into brigades. Naval brigades cannot buildup into divisions. See below for buildup of airborne brigades.
_______________________
I'll think about putting something here one of these days...
I'll think about putting something here one of these days...
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
It is a known mistake, do you have the updated manual which came with one of the last patches?
- PeeDeeAitch
- Posts: 1276
- Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:31 am
- Location: Laramie, Wyoming
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
It was changed in the early versions of the game, iirc.
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."
- Call me PDH
- WitE noob tester
- Call me PDH
- WitE noob tester
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
Don't do it. 2 divisions and 1 brigade makes 1 corps, that's what you want.
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
i tried the buildup with 3 brigades in a hex - all that happened was my brigades disapeared. ill try it with 2 later - needed a unit with zoc and it wasnt rail accessible. ill remember the corps thing though.
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
V1.03 changed the rule.
Restricted Soviet Rifle brigades so they can’t merge into Rifle Divisions prior to May-
1942.
The manual just doesn't reflect the change.
Restricted Soviet Rifle brigades so they can’t merge into Rifle Divisions prior to May-
1942.
The manual just doesn't reflect the change.
-
FredSanford3
- Posts: 544
- Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:22 pm
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
Put another way, 5 brigades makes a corps.ORIGINAL: sveint
Don't do it. 2 divisions and 1 brigade makes 1 corps, that's what you want.
_______________________
I'll think about putting something here one of these days...
I'll think about putting something here one of these days...
- Fänrik Stål
- Posts: 108
- Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:06 pm
- Location: Sweden
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
Yes, but that's a waste. For every 2 brigades you use together with 4 divisions for making corps, you save 2 divisions for making a third corps. So using this reasoning 3 brigades makes a corps. [:)]ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz
Put another way, 5 brigades makes a corps.ORIGINAL: sveint
Don't do it. 2 divisions and 1 brigade makes 1 corps, that's what you want.
"Släpp ingen djävul över bron!"
-
FredSanford3
- Posts: 544
- Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:22 pm
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
3 brigades and 6 divisions=21 brigade equivalents= 3 corpsORIGINAL: Fänrik Stål
Yes, but that's a waste. For every 2 brigades you use together with 4 divisions for making corps, you save 2 divisions for making a third corps. So using this reasoning 3 brigades makes a corps. [:)]ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz
Put another way, 5 brigades makes a corps.ORIGINAL: sveint
Don't do it. 2 divisions and 1 brigade makes 1 corps, that's what you want.
5 brigades = 1 corps; 15 brigades = 3 corps = 6 fewer brigade equivalents.
The only thing you gain is fewer replacements needed to fill out the corps' TOEs. But the total AP cost is the same, and I'd rather have independent divisions rather than brigades.
_______________________
I'll think about putting something here one of these days...
I'll think about putting something here one of these days...
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz
3 brigades and 6 divisions=21 brigade equivalents= 3 corpsORIGINAL: Fänrik Stål
Yes, but that's a waste. For every 2 brigades you use together with 4 divisions for making corps, you save 2 divisions for making a third corps. So using this reasoning 3 brigades makes a corps. [:)]ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz
Put another way, 5 brigades makes a corps.
5 brigades = 1 corps; 15 brigades = 3 corps = 6 fewer brigade equivalents.
The only thing you gain is fewer replacements needed to fill out the corps' TOEs. But the total AP cost is the same, and I'd rather have independent divisions rather than brigades.
Actually it is not. If you use two div and 1 bgd you will save 5 AP when building a corps; it takes longer to fill it out with replacements however. So it is simply a matter of what is importent to you: if AP then use 2+1, if time then use 3.
- Fänrik Stål
- Posts: 108
- Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:06 pm
- Location: Sweden
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
The numbers are correct of course, but seeing that you already have the divisions on hand and don't have to make them from brigades, counting their brigade equivalents is irrelevant. If you have 15 brigades and 30 divisions, using my way you get 15 corps, using your way you get 13. I would argue that having more corps is preferable to having more independent divisions. But this may not apply to your style. The AP expenditure per corps is the same of course.ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz
3 brigades and 6 divisions=21 brigade equivalents= 3 corpsORIGINAL: Fänrik Stål
Yes, but that's a waste. For every 2 brigades you use together with 4 divisions for making corps, you save 2 divisions for making a third corps. So using this reasoning 3 brigades makes a corps. [:)]ORIGINAL: Franklin Nimitz
Put another way, 5 brigades makes a corps.
5 brigades = 1 corps; 15 brigades = 3 corps = 6 fewer brigade equivalents.
The only thing you gain is fewer replacements needed to fill out the corps' TOEs. But the total AP cost is the same, and I'd rather have independent divisions rather than brigades.
"Släpp ingen djävul över bron!"
- Fänrik Stål
- Posts: 108
- Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:06 pm
- Location: Sweden
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
ORIGINAL: pompack
Actually it is not. If you use two div and 1 bgd you will save 5 AP when building a corps;
Really? I never noticed that.[:o]
"Släpp ingen djävul över bron!"
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
If you want big, beefy, burly, and even overstrength rifle corps, use 3 divisions. Especially early on, when the rifle corps TOE is so low. (The first really good rifle corps TOE is in late 42.)
There's no economy in understrength rifle corps. God is on the side of the bigger battalions.
There's no economy in understrength rifle corps. God is on the side of the bigger battalions.
WitE Alpha Tester
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
ORIGINAL: Flaviusx
If you want big, beefy, burly, and even overstrength rifle corps, use 3 divisions. Especially early on, when the rifle corps TOE is so low. (The first really good rifle corps TOE is in late 42.)
There's no economy in understrength rifle corps. God is on the side of the bigger battalions.
Precisely, so I take the early 42 builds and put them in good rear positions to dig and train. My limiting factor is always AP so instead of using "use it or lose it" APs on a large stable of support units, I build weak, early-42-TOE infantry corp and let them slowly grow.
RE: Building Rifle Divisions from Brigades
I use those APs for other things.
I don't understand why anybody would want to build a guards rifle corps with a brigade in it in 1942 (and early on, this is the only rifle corps worth building.)
I don't understand why anybody would want to build a guards rifle corps with a brigade in it in 1942 (and early on, this is the only rifle corps worth building.)
WitE Alpha Tester




