Computer Jargon

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Post Reply
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

Computer Jargon

Post by warspite1 »

Help required please. I am looking to buy a new computer - I have seen one with the following specs that seems to meet my budget. These specs mean either nothing, (most of it), or is faguely familiar (about two items)... and so is largely a lot of Gobbledegook.

Question - would this computer be able to cope with games like the Total War series and Civ 5? Many thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-2600
- 3.4 GHz
- DMI: 5GT/s
- 8 MB L3 cache
Operating System Windows® 7 Home Premium
RAM 8 GB
Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 3GB GT 545
Hard drive 2TB
5400 rpm
SATA G3
BDROM: 4x / CD: 48x / DVD: 8x
Memory card reader 15-in-1 memory card reader
Video interface 1 x DVI
1 x VGA
1 x HDMI
3 x PCI-Express x1
1 x PCI-Express x16
Audio interface High Definition Audio 7.1
1 x audio line out
4 x analog audio out
1 x digital audio out
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
ilovestrategy
Posts: 3614
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

RE: Computer Jargon

Post by ilovestrategy »

Everything is good except for the hard drive, depending on whether you're talking about a desktop or laptop. If desktop I would get a hard drive with 7200 RPMs. 5400 is unacceptable on a desktop. Even though 7200 is better, 5400 is ok on a laptop because of the price.

I game on both, I know.

Civ V chugs on my 4 year old desktop, it's good you're getting a decent machine.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Image
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Computer Jargon

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Everything is good except for the hard drive, depending on whether you're talking about a desktop or laptop. If desktop I would get a hard drive with 7200 RPMs. 5400 is unacceptable on a desktop. Even though 7200 is better, 5400 is ok on a laptop because of the price.

I game on both, I know.

Civ V chugs on my 4 year old desktop, it's good you're getting a decent machine.
Warspite1

Thanks for responding ilovestrategy - these computer thingys leave me cold....

I must confess RPM on a computer (it's a desk top btw) is not something I've ever heard of. Are you saying that at 5400, this particular hard drive is no good for CIV 5?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Phatguy
Posts: 1348
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:08 pm
Location: Buffalo,ny

RE: Computer Jargon

Post by Phatguy »

I have a 5400 on my slightly older system.....It's not so bad....TW,civ 5 and it's ilk work fine..but if you can upgrade to a 7200 do it......
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
User avatar
warspite1
Posts: 42130
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 pm
Location: England

RE: Computer Jargon

Post by warspite1 »

Thanks for your time guys [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
User avatar
parusski
Posts: 4789
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Jackson Tn
Contact:

RE: Computer Jargon

Post by parusski »

If feasible, upgrade to 7200. Everything else in this system is nice and should keep you sailing for years.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
User avatar
ilovestrategy
Posts: 3614
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm
Location: San Diego
Contact:

RE: Computer Jargon

Post by ilovestrategy »

5400 is not bad, it's just that hard drives are so cheap nowadays that you can get a much faster 7200 for a few bucks more. In this case, you'll get a lot more bang for your bucks. Or Pounds, Euros or what ever it is that you guys spend over there.

I'm just teasing, nothing serious intended. [:)]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Image
Phatguy
Posts: 1348
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:08 pm
Location: Buffalo,ny

RE: Computer Jargon

Post by Phatguy »

or better yet, buy yourself a 7200 and keep both hardrives in your box. I have two, in both of my systems.....ILS is right.They are cheap.
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
User avatar
n01487477
Posts: 4764
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:00 am

RE: Computer Jargon

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

or better yet, buy yourself a 7200 and keep both hardrives in your box. I have two, in both of my systems.....ILS is right.They are cheap.
I agree; The biggest throughput bottleneck these days is HDD speed. So I'd just have 2*7200 or 1*7200 + a 1TB USB 3.0 external HDD (just for backup).

Other points to consider:
[*]I'd be making sure your motherboard(m/b) is not a generic knock off - what brand / model? Same with ram ... System builders knock corners off with cheap components.
[*]Can the m/b take the latest SSD (solid state drives - yep I know they're a bit unreliable and expensive still; but what about 2-3 yrs time)
[*]USB 3.0 ports for external devices
[*]What cooling is provided?
[*]There are two Gt545's one with better ram ...
[*]What power supply are they giving you? 650 watt or higher?
[*]A second GPU port for dual monitor support or output ability.

Anyway, I'm sure it will be fine for your purposes anyway. I just hate generically made computers.
User avatar
Knavery
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:44 pm

RE: Computer Jargon

Post by Knavery »

Use the 5400 as a storage drive and go with the 7200. Hard drives are cheap as hell. It's a no-brainer.
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM
User avatar
TonyE
Posts: 1583
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 9:50 pm
Location: MN, USA
Contact:

RE: Computer Jargon

Post by TonyE »

I would bump your operating system up to Windows 7 Professional as well so that you get the license to use a Windows XP Virtual machine (google Windows XP Mode) for some older games that don't like 64-bit operating systems.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
planner 3
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:30 am

RE: Computer Jargon

Post by planner 3 »

I also agree with TonyE pro is the way to go.
"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”