Participating in History (OT)
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
RE: Participating in History (OT)
Like ChickenBoy I live in the tundra of Minnesota, although I am almost certain I live much further north than he. I am retired military and have solid current employment, but a few years ago I decided to hack a small farm out of the woodland to keep myself busy and supplement things. We currently have sheep, goats, chickens, and guinea hens. I consider the animals and the firewood for our wood stoves a different type of insurance policy.
- Blackhorse
- Posts: 1415
- Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2000 8:00 am
- Location: Eastern US
RE: Participating in History (OT)
Like madflava, I am a US federal government employee. As in the Great Depression, Washington DC has not been as hard-hit as the rest of the country by our current Hard Times. My job seems secure enough, and, given what the rest of country -- whose taxes pay for the likes of me -- is going through, I have no reason to complain about our pay-freezes or benefit reductions. My wife runs an education foundation. It was hit hard in 2008-2009, but she's got it now back to where it was before the meltdown.
ORIGINAL: Cribtop
A forum member, Panzerjager Hortlund IIRC, has a sig quote about the end of the era of self delusions and half measures and the beginning of an era of consequences. That sums it up well.
I look at my daughters and realize they will in all likelihood not have the same opportunities I did. I also have to confess, if I'm honest, that despite my own relative success I did not achieve as much as my father did. My job is secure for now, but I'm worried. My wife left her job to raise the kids, and we don't regret it, but are nervous about it for the first time.
I have a lot of thoughts on investments and the market as we are active traders, but that probably isn't what you're looking for.
God help us. I fear for the future. That sounds dramatic, but I truly believe we have entered the "bread and circus" phase of the Pax Americana.
Your fears are justified. But Americans have conquered far greater challenges before. I am still optimistic. In the words of that Great Half-American Winston Churchill: "America can be counted upon to do what is right, after she has exhausted all the other alternatives."
[:)]
WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff
Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
RE: Participating in History (OT)
I'm in the getting by category. Been out of work for a month now without even a nibble on the resumes and careerbuilder/monster submissions. Thank goodness for my years in the military. We may have to ask our kids for help with the electric bill this month. They are both under our roof so they helped consume the utilities but it is still upsetting to have to ask your kids for help.
Greg
Greg
Man does not enter battle to fight, but for victory. He does everything that he can to avoid the first and obtain the second.
Ardant du Picq
Ardant du Picq
RE: Participating in History (OT)
And how about you CR? How are things in north Georgia?
As an aside, I spent my 10th grade at Darlington, a boarding school up in Rome, Ga. My most vivid memory of that year is the beautiful girls at the local high school up there. If you happened to be lucky enough to have one of those girls as your bride, you are doing very well indeed!
As an aside, I spent my 10th grade at Darlington, a boarding school up in Rome, Ga. My most vivid memory of that year is the beautiful girls at the local high school up there. If you happened to be lucky enough to have one of those girls as your bride, you are doing very well indeed!
RE: Participating in History (OT)
Like some others above, I am a Federal civil servant (20 years and counting) so I am fortunate to have a pretty steady job. Nearly all the rest of the family is out in California and times are tough. I have been called on to loan money to relatives who have lost their jobs in the private sector.
JVJ
- Canoerebel
- Posts: 21099
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
- Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
- Contact:
RE: Participating in History (OT)
Dadgum (sorry Chickenboy!) interesting replies, gents. I am glad to hear that some are doing well and hope that we can all pull ourselves up that way (as opposed to us pulling them down to ours). At the same time, the heartfelt words from those of us who are struggling make me wish there were ways to do something that would be helfpul.
I own a very small business in north Georgia, which was hit particularly hard by the housing crisis. My business continues to grow, though slowly, for which I am thankful (the growing part, not the slow part). My wife "retired" from teaching 18 years ago when we started having children. We've homeschooled since then, which has made things very tight financially. Then my daughter got a chronic medical problem that is perfectly treatible (thank goodness) by a very expensive medication. As a result of these expenses, we've exhausted our savings and live on a very tight budget. Our children are at or rapidly approaching college age now and we have no idea how we're going to pay for it. But we'll do something, and in two or three more years, my wife can return to the work world, having devoted 21 years of her life to the welfare of the chilluns (that's how we southerners say it).
Bottom line: we're always felt very blessed, but things are nevertheless challenging.
I own a very small business in north Georgia, which was hit particularly hard by the housing crisis. My business continues to grow, though slowly, for which I am thankful (the growing part, not the slow part). My wife "retired" from teaching 18 years ago when we started having children. We've homeschooled since then, which has made things very tight financially. Then my daughter got a chronic medical problem that is perfectly treatible (thank goodness) by a very expensive medication. As a result of these expenses, we've exhausted our savings and live on a very tight budget. Our children are at or rapidly approaching college age now and we have no idea how we're going to pay for it. But we'll do something, and in two or three more years, my wife can return to the work world, having devoted 21 years of her life to the welfare of the chilluns (that's how we southerners say it).
Bottom line: we're always felt very blessed, but things are nevertheless challenging.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
RE: Participating in History (OT)
I'm in West Virginia, also. I'm a nurse so its not to bad for me. Always going to be sick or injuries people around. I do feel lucky though. But I do worry about the future. I have no clue how or what to do for my retirement.
doc
doc
- Canoerebel
- Posts: 21099
- Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
- Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
- Contact:
RE: Participating in History (OT)
ORIGINAL: pws1225
As an aside, I spent my 10th grade at Darlington, a boarding school up in Rome, Ga. My most vivid memory of that year is the beautiful girls at the local high school up there. If you happened to be lucky enough to have one of those girls as your bride, you are doing very well indeed!
Darlington is in Rome, just four miles down the road. My wife is from another Georgia town, but if I were to post a poicture of her from the day we got married, there would be epidemic jealousy (especially from the Yankees who do not have access to southern belles). My wfie is what you might term "a looker." [:)]
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
RE: Participating in History (OT)
I work for a business in the Defense Industry, times are booming.
Plus living in a smallish country town means I enjoy my 5-10 minute drive to work and can sit out and talk to the birds on the weekend. (No one else listens!).
Hopefully the current crisis will show those in power we need each other, USA, Europe, China, Japan etc. All of our economies are interlinked, no country is safe.
And to break the request about politics, ALL politicians of all shapes and sizes must consider the effects of their actions before they play party political games.
As to participating in History, I hope not, too many stories from my Father about the Great Depression to consider this a worthwhile achievement.
Plus living in a smallish country town means I enjoy my 5-10 minute drive to work and can sit out and talk to the birds on the weekend. (No one else listens!).
Hopefully the current crisis will show those in power we need each other, USA, Europe, China, Japan etc. All of our economies are interlinked, no country is safe.
And to break the request about politics, ALL politicians of all shapes and sizes must consider the effects of their actions before they play party political games.
As to participating in History, I hope not, too many stories from my Father about the Great Depression to consider this a worthwhile achievement.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
RE: Participating in History (OT)
Darlington is in Rome, just four miles down the road. My wife is from another Georgia town, but if I were to post a poicture of her from the day we got married, there would be epidemic jealousy (especially from the Yankees who do not have access to southern belles). My wfie is what you might term "a looker."
Then best not sow the seeds of discontent. I've found it best to leave Yankees to their own devices. Me thinks you are a rich man indeed.
RE: Participating in History (OT)
I cannot foresee the future, nor i have a clue about what's going to happen next (it's true that history proceeds in "cycles" but you never know where you are positioned in those cycles). The only thing i'm sure about, the only thing i know, is that, no matter how hard I/we will try, nobody of my generation (i'm 33) will have the chances our fathers had, nor will reach the economical safety they reached.
Talking about depression
Talking about depression
RE: Participating in History (OT)
I'm here with my "looker" wife retired in Brazil. My pension from the US gov't has steadily been shrinking as there's been no COLA for 3 years and prices here go up even if they don't need to. The falling $ has caused us more than a little concern, but the last 2 days have seen it start to climb. It feels funny to lead a nice life without working for it and if this is like a few years ago then we'll do well.
Todd
I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
RE: Participating in History (OT)
Not true, my friend. You have innovation, wits, and time on your side. True, the prescribed path may be dwindling, but there is nothing to say that there is not a better path out there to be found. It just takes looking. Stay curious and you'll find your way.
RE: Participating in History (OT)
Well gents,
Time for a view of the world outside of the US. Living on the Mornington peninsula in the State of Victoria, Australia and things are fine for us. Just about to complete building a new townhouse (the kids moved out so we are downsizing) and I have no real worries or fears. The economic downturn is a worry in that it will in pack my retirement savings in the short term, and the wife unit MK I has had a slow month (she is a private investigator). But with the surging aussie dollar (now at $1.04 to the US $) life seems to be good. BTW I am also a government employee so there is little to no chance of being lay-off and i still get my 4 weeks annual leave each year plus my flex time.
Both sons are doing well with the eldest a sign writer (business is still good) and does DJ for cash on the weekends. The youngest son is in the navy so he is also fine. All of my friends are fine with no one layed-off. Our bets are on china as it is china that is still helping to drive our exports. If china contracts then we may be in deep do-do.
The riots in the UK are a concern, is it a symptom of disaffected segment of the population lashing out? If that is the case then all western countries need to brace themselves for some of the same.
Time for a view of the world outside of the US. Living on the Mornington peninsula in the State of Victoria, Australia and things are fine for us. Just about to complete building a new townhouse (the kids moved out so we are downsizing) and I have no real worries or fears. The economic downturn is a worry in that it will in pack my retirement savings in the short term, and the wife unit MK I has had a slow month (she is a private investigator). But with the surging aussie dollar (now at $1.04 to the US $) life seems to be good. BTW I am also a government employee so there is little to no chance of being lay-off and i still get my 4 weeks annual leave each year plus my flex time.
Both sons are doing well with the eldest a sign writer (business is still good) and does DJ for cash on the weekends. The youngest son is in the navy so he is also fine. All of my friends are fine with no one layed-off. Our bets are on china as it is china that is still helping to drive our exports. If china contracts then we may be in deep do-do.
The riots in the UK are a concern, is it a symptom of disaffected segment of the population lashing out? If that is the case then all western countries need to brace themselves for some of the same.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
RE: Participating in History (OT)
P.S I am planning to visit the US next year, sure hope that there is still a US left worth visiting.[:(]

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
- ilovestrategy
- Posts: 3614
- Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Contact:
RE: Participating in History (OT)
I'm doing ok. My little Rio Kia will be paid off in Feb of next year and being a school custodian my job is pretty safe. What's ironic is that ten years ago my in laws used to insult me for cleaning classrooms and I'm now better off than they are.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

- ilovestrategy
- Posts: 3614
- Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:41 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Contact:
RE: Participating in History (OT)
ORIGINAL: Raverdave
P.S I am planning to visit the US next year, sure hope that there is still a US left worth visiting.[:(]
I'm here! [:D]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

RE: Participating in History (OT)
Hey guys from Australia.
Worked for US multinational and got laid off during GFC1. Wasn't much fun at the time.
Now work for Aus Fed Govt. Getting ready for GFC2 (aka the slow decline)
Things aren't too bad over here at the moment but that is not to say a lot of people aren't struggling.
Our stock market usually gets smashed inline with the US market, so a lot of people have taken hits to their super.
Don't mean to sound negative, and I'm not an alarmist type of person,
but I believe things won't recover anytime soon. We are heading into a perfect storm
of resource depletion, energy shortages and an aging population.
Worked for US multinational and got laid off during GFC1. Wasn't much fun at the time.
Now work for Aus Fed Govt. Getting ready for GFC2 (aka the slow decline)
Things aren't too bad over here at the moment but that is not to say a lot of people aren't struggling.
Our stock market usually gets smashed inline with the US market, so a lot of people have taken hits to their super.
Don't mean to sound negative, and I'm not an alarmist type of person,
but I believe things won't recover anytime soon. We are heading into a perfect storm
of resource depletion, energy shortages and an aging population.

RE: Participating in History (OT)
So, you're saying he's alliterate? [:D]ORIGINAL: witpqs
ORIGINAL: pws1225
As a professional economist, I have no transaltion for Nemo's last.
He was merely alliterating.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
RE: Participating in History (OT)
Glad to read most are doing ok, during these times. For those who are doing better than ok, never feel sorry for being successful, but always be appreciative of having what u have. Someone once said "there's only one thing keeping me from being homeless, and thats the next paycheck. Never forget where you came from or how far you came, and remember falling is alot faster and hurts when you land"
Tran
Tran
TC ET1(SS)







