Transporting LCU by air problems

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Post Reply
User avatar
seii taishôgun
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:37 am

Transporting LCU by air problems

Post by seii taishôgun »

I'm having problems moving a ground unit by air transport; can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I have a unit at Nanchang (23rd RGC Temp Div / RGC Army [R]) with an assault strength of 26 that I want to move to Kukong by air. I flew in a Topsy air group and selected Kukong base as the destination but when I try to load up the 23rd all I can see on the list for units to transport is the 17th JAAF Base Force (which is attached to the China Expeditionary [R] command).

Why can't I see the 23rd RGC Temp Div? Am I doing something wrong? The 23rd is made up of Chinese Inf Squads, a few 81mm mortars, and Support units. Are the 81mm mortar squads too big to load onto Topsy transport aircraft?

Thanks in advance for your answers,

ST
Image
User avatar
GreyJoy
Posts: 6750
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:34 pm

RE: Transporting LCU by air problems

Post by GreyJoy »

Restricted HQ?
Rainer
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Neuching, Bavaria, Germany

RE: Transporting LCU by air problems

Post by Rainer »

23rd RGC Temp Div / RGC Army [R]

[R] That's why. The unit is restricted.


EDIT: If the mortars could not be loaded the rest of the unit still would be loaded (leaving the mortars behind).
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
User avatar
seii taishôgun
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:37 am

RE: Transporting LCU by air problems

Post by seii taishôgun »

ORIGINAL: Rainer
23rd RGC Temp Div / RGC Army [R]

[R] That's why. The unit is restricted.


EDIT: If the mortars could not be loaded the rest of the unit still would be loaded (leaving the mortars behind).
the 17th JAAF Base Force (which is attached to the China Expeditionary [R] command).


The 17th JAAF Base Force (which is attached to the China Expeditionary [R] command) shows up though - I can transport China Expeditionary forces that are restricted but not, I guess, units restricted from other commands?

Does anyone know the logic behind not allowing restricted units to be transported by air/ship? Now I'm just curious. I mean - there are some great rivers in China and it would be nice to position units along the coast of China to other ports to better use the rail lines... I understand that the designers don't want to have me use units connected to the RGC Army outside of China but it looks like it would be easier to jump-start operations in the China Theatre if I could speed up the deployment of the smaller garrison units to all of those bases that require garrisons.


Image
Rainer
Posts: 1210
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Neuching, Bavaria, Germany

RE: Transporting LCU by air problems

Post by Rainer »

The 17th JAAF Base Force (which is attached to the China Expeditionary [R] command) shows up though - I can transport China Expeditionary forces that are restricted but not, I guess, units restricted from other commands?

You're right. The restriction only shows up when you try to set a destination outside the restricted area.
My initial advice obviously is wrong.
In other words: I don't know why the 23rd RGC Div doesn't show [:(]

WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Transporting LCU by air problems

Post by crsutton »

If it is white restricted I don't think it can fly. If I recall, I could not transport any of my white (R) Chinese units but could transport those that were yellow (R) withing China. and after changing them to unrestricted could fly them out of China.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11246
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: Transporting LCU by air problems

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

If it is white restricted I don't think it can fly. If I recall, I could not transport any of my white (R) Chinese units but could transport those that were yellow (R) withing China. and after changing them to unrestricted could fly them out of China.
Sounds right. Hard to move a lot of the HI units around also.
Pax
User avatar
viberpol
Posts: 858
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:16 pm
Location: Global village, Poland, EU

RE: Transporting LCU by air problems

Post by viberpol »

ORIGINAL: seii taishôgun


Why can't I see the 23rd RGC Temp Div? Am I doing something wrong? The 23rd is made up of Chinese Inf Squads, a few 81mm mortars, and Support units. Are the 81mm mortar squads too big to load onto Topsy transport aircraft?

That touches an important question and maybe a space for the interface improvement...
I've been always wondering what devices can and which cannot be transferred by air.

I recently noticed that by T90 75 mm guns are too big to be transferred even by mighty H8K2-Ls, while most mortars (& even some other 75 mm or bigger howitzers) can be sent by air.
Are there any hard & fast rules?
Is it load cost of 10+ too big? Is it the compilation of load capacity and load cost of the device? [&:]


Przy lackim orle, przy koniu Kiejstuta Archanioł Rusi na proporcach błysł
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Transporting LCU by air problems

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: viberpol

ORIGINAL: seii taishôgun


Why can't I see the 23rd RGC Temp Div? Am I doing something wrong? The 23rd is made up of Chinese Inf Squads, a few 81mm mortars, and Support units. Are the 81mm mortar squads too big to load onto Topsy transport aircraft?

That touches an important question and maybe a space for the interface improvement...
I've been always wondering what devices can and which cannot be transferred by air.

I recently noticed that by T90 75 mm guns are too big to be transferred even by mighty H8K2-Ls, while most mortars (& even some other 75 mm or bigger howitzers) can be sent by air.
Are there any hard & fast rules?
Is it load cost of 10+ too big? Is it the compilation of load capacity and load cost of the device? [&:]




Ark, they may have factored in more than cargo capacity. I don't think a seaplane such as this could have the cargo doors needed to load large weapons without affecting the watertight integrity. Not to mention that some planes just were not struturally able to fit doors of a large size. Let me check my big coronados to see if they can carry big guns. My C47 can only carry guns up to 75 mm. I think the C100 can carry up to 105mm.

I looked it up and from what I read the emily was really a troop transport (60 men) and not designed for carrying heavy cargo.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
inqistor
Posts: 1813
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 1:19 pm

RE: Transporting LCU by air problems

Post by inqistor »

ORIGINAL: seii taishôgun

I'm having problems moving a ground unit by air transport; can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I have a unit at Nanchang (23rd RGC Temp Div / RGC Army [R]) with an assault strength of 26 that I want to move to Kukong by air. I flew in a Topsy air group and selected Kukong base as the destination but when I try to load up the 23rd all I can see on the list for units to transport is the 17th JAAF Base Force (which is attached to the China Expeditionary [R] command).

Why can't I see the 23rd RGC Temp Div? Am I doing something wrong? The 23rd is made up of Chinese Inf Squads, a few 81mm mortars, and Support units. Are the 81mm mortar squads too big to load onto Topsy transport aircraft?
Restricted units can only be transported to bases with THE SAME HQ. RGC have its own Command, it is probably part of China HQ, but sub-commands seems not to work. There is also some Armies in China HQ, and units belonging to them also seems to NOT be able to air-transport.
Post Reply

Return to “The War Room”