Hi Lemon-San,
ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon
I'd like opinions on a tactical matter before I send off the next turn. Does anybody think launching a deliberate attack in rough/wooded terrain by the following Japanese forces against the Chinese would be a waste of time and troops? I suffered 29k casualties crossing the river against this force, Chinese losses were only 3k. Is is time to pull out and try another avenue of approach? The Chinese are barely recovering AV, around 10/day while I recover around 50/day. However fresh Chinese units are free to increase the defenders strength while this is pretty much it for me.
You are in December 42 (or is it 43 already), the Burma road has been shut for ages, Changsha, Sian, and the northwest are yours. Chinese industry is Kunming and the Sichuan basin, probably without the heavies, for lack of fuel. Your opponents must be eating tree barks!
Those big AV are not as bad as you think. Eventually, they will be reduced by the lack of supply (when totally unsupplied, they get quartered!). You have to bombard, and attack (deliberate, never shock against such large numbers unless you are certain of you superiority), to force them to burn their supplies, and eventually get reduced. It takes a while, but this is the way to go. And it is not a South vs North problem : you'd get the same south of Ankang.
I do understand the shock attack is discouraging, but this is the price to pay to engage the enemy. Now that you are there, just bombard, and attack, time is on your side.
Moving troops back to the north is a bad idea, in my opinion. It will provide the KMT with a lull, which allows them to repair their disablement, and restore some of their supplies...
Francois