Mouse Cursor Issues - Leg/RotS/DW

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Post Reply
User avatar
WoodMan
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Ol' Blighty

Mouse Cursor Issues - Leg/RotS/DW

Post by WoodMan »

Hi Eliott, Erik, All,

I have had a strange issue with my mouse cursor ever since I bought the original DW. The in-game cursor switches back and forth with the windows cursor, it doesn't affect gameplay that much but it does make a few things awkward and its a terrible eyesore.

When my mouse cursor is over the map and not pointing at any object I get the windows arrow, yet when I hover it over a ship or item it switches to the silver DW arrow. The arrows are different sizes so when the switch happens it can cause inaccuracy.

This has occured in DW, RotS and Legends. I have a new computer since it first occured. I am using different anti-virus software from when it first occured. I am even using a different mouse to when it first occured.

My mouse is the same make as my old one though, a Razer, so perhaps it is an issue with Razer mouses.

Previously I used a Razer Habu, now I have a Razer Deathadder. The Razer drivers are up to date.

I have not changed cursors or mouse settings in windows at all, literally just installed the drivers for my mouse. Haven't had any issues in any other programs (except Skyrim of course, but everyone knows mouse doesn't work correctly in that no matter what make you bought).
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
WoodMan
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Ol' Blighty

RE: Mouse Cursor Issues - Leg/RotS/DW

Post by WoodMan »

I'm going to uninstall the mouse drivers and see if it fixes the problem.  Nobody else has any mouse issues at all? 

How come in Das123 videos he has a windows cursor all the time and never a DW cursor, he says he never changed any cursor options, so surely thats a bug too, he has no DW cursors at all?
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
Erik Rutins
Posts: 39786
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

RE: Mouse Cursor Issues - Leg/RotS/DW

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi WoodMan,

Elliot should reply to this one soon. I think mouse drivers are the most likely cause though, especially as a Razer mouse is the common thread between your two systems. If you go back to the default Windows mouse drivers, does this still happen?

Have you asked Razer about this at all? There may be a setting in their drivers that you can change to get around this.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC


Image

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
User avatar
WoodMan
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Ol' Blighty

RE: Mouse Cursor Issues - Leg/RotS/DW

Post by WoodMan »

Hey Erik,

I've had a look through the driver program, it has a few complex options that I thought might be causing an issue, Acceleration, Independant X/Y axis sensitivity, an on the fly DPI switcher, but all of these except on the fly DPI were disabled by default.  I've tried turning off the DPI switcher but it didn't help.  I'm just going to install the new beta update, uninstall my mouse drivers and load up the game to see if it fixes the issue.  From what I've read online using the mouse without drivers has little impact on the mouse, so it shouldn't be too painful.

I'll get back to you in 15 mins or so with results.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
WoodMan
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Ol' Blighty

RE: Mouse Cursor Issues - Leg/RotS/DW

Post by WoodMan »

Tried it with the mouse drivers uninstalled.  It seems a little better, but the white windows cursor and the silver DW cursor are still battling for supremacy [:D]

Just to clarify, the problem is only with the silver arrow.  All the other styles of DW cursor work perfectly and when they are supposed to.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
WoodMan
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Ol' Blighty

RE: Mouse Cursor Issues - Leg/RotS/DW

Post by WoodMan »

Interesting development.  I have never changed any cursors in windows...

But I just went into the cursor options and chose "Use Default" and it changed, turns out somehow I wasn't using the default windows cursor, I was using a bigger, nicer looking arrow [&:]

Loading up DW again now I've made this change.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
WoodMan
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Ol' Blighty

RE: Mouse Cursor Issues - Leg/RotS/DW

Post by WoodMan »

Its got really strange now [:(]

I'm using windows default cursors and I have turned off cursor shadow.

When I don't have a ship selected, I get the white windows arrow.  When I mouse over any buttons and when in menus I get the white windows arrow.  When I have a constructionship selected I get the white windows arrow. 

When I have a military ship selected I get the silver DW arrow.

When I have no ship selected and I left click on an empty space on the map, the escort ship cursor shows (even though I have no ships selected).


"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
elliotg
Posts: 3989
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:32 am

RE: Mouse Cursor Issues - Leg/RotS/DW

Post by elliotg »

Hi Woodman

Before you go too much further reinstalling mouse drivers, I think that this is probably an issue with DW itself and how we swap out mouse cursors for various situations.

So I'll take a look at this for the next update.

Thanks for the report
Elliot
User avatar
WoodMan
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Ol' Blighty

RE: Mouse Cursor Issues - Leg/RotS/DW

Post by WoodMan »

No problem, I reported it way back in vanilla DW too, but nobody else seems to have the issue [:D]

I tried to provide useful descriptions of what is happening but its hard to describe because its so weird, basically the cursor named default in the ui folder is having real problems fighting with the cursor also named default in windows.


"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
WoodMan
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Ol' Blighty

RE: Mouse Cursor Issues - Leg/RotS/DW

Post by WoodMan »

Now I'm testing it I notice another cursor problem I've not really noticed before.

Above where I wrote clicking on the map without anything selected would show the escort fleet command, thats not in fact true.

Clicking on the map without anything selected shows the last special cursor you viewed. So if I had a ship selected and hovered near a planet and the move to planet cursor shows, then deselect the ship and click on a blank part of the map, the move to planet cursor shows!

Very odd.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
User avatar
elliotg
Posts: 3989
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:32 am

RE: Mouse Cursor Issues - Leg/RotS/DW

Post by elliotg »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan
Clicking on the map without anything selected shows the last special cursor you viewed. So if I had a ship selected and hovered near a planet and the move to planet cursor shows, then deselect the ship and click on a blank part of the map, the move to planet cursor shows!
Thanks for the extra info, we'll check that out.
User avatar
WoodMan
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm
Location: Ol' Blighty

RE: Mouse Cursor Issues - Leg/RotS/DW

Post by WoodMan »

Happy to report this is now fixed, the mouse seems to be working just fine in the latest beta patch.

Good job [8D]
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Xangi
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:55 pm

RE: Mouse Cursor Issues - Leg/RotS/DW

Post by Xangi »

Sorry for the necro, but I'm having this issue as well. I've tried messing with my settings and nothing works. I'm running Win7 64 bit and I'm using a Microsoft Sidewinder X5 mouse. Is there some way I can just disable the ingame cursors or something?
Post Reply

Return to “Tech Support”