A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
1st question: How in the hell do you play this thing with so many things to do? I have turned everything on auto and I still don't know what's going on. There is just too much for one person to intake even with a pause feature. I mean for real this thing should have been turn based as it takes me an hour just to think what I should do first and by that time it's too late for that strategy thought!
2nd question: What's the best way to get an economy going? What should I build first? Should I build the same thing on every colony? What tells me what the planet is good for as far as building things on it?
How often should I build Large Space Ports? Medium ones? Should I ever build small ones?
Why are taxes so to the point as in Low, Normal or High....why can't I set them numerically?
Why should I build escorts instead of destroyers and/or frigates? How many explorer ships do I really need? Construction ships? Refueling Ships?
Why doesn't the ai ever want to trade with me? Who are these Guardians? They got one planet and stomped two of my Fleets in a row nearly 40 ships? Why are so many factions near me when I put them on Distant in the setup?
Seriously how do you play in a 1000 to 1400 planet system in real time? Even with 13 opponents that's still 100 planets a piece and that doesn't even count for when you start conquering and gaining 100's and 100's and 100's more? I mean seriously your brain must be ready to pop by the time you get to your 100 planets?? Long 2nd question wasn't it?
The popups are horribly annoying. I get them so fast that I miss many because they come in succession and I can't read them in time. Is there a way that the game will automatically pause when a popup appears or a setting I can set? Paradox games have a setting like that so you can pick which popups you want to pause the game others you can just send to the message window without them ever popping up.
Why do units or groups break automation when you give them an order? Why can't you give them an order and then after it is fulfilled they go back into automated mode? The military ships and groups don't respond to situations fast enough and so I have to pull some of them off of their silly patrols and send them elsewhere thus breaking their automated control and then I get off doing something else and I forget which ones I've done what with.
I would seriously like to watch someone play this without automation on. I'd like to see how quickly they'd go insane. [:D]
2nd question: What's the best way to get an economy going? What should I build first? Should I build the same thing on every colony? What tells me what the planet is good for as far as building things on it?
How often should I build Large Space Ports? Medium ones? Should I ever build small ones?
Why are taxes so to the point as in Low, Normal or High....why can't I set them numerically?
Why should I build escorts instead of destroyers and/or frigates? How many explorer ships do I really need? Construction ships? Refueling Ships?
Why doesn't the ai ever want to trade with me? Who are these Guardians? They got one planet and stomped two of my Fleets in a row nearly 40 ships? Why are so many factions near me when I put them on Distant in the setup?
Seriously how do you play in a 1000 to 1400 planet system in real time? Even with 13 opponents that's still 100 planets a piece and that doesn't even count for when you start conquering and gaining 100's and 100's and 100's more? I mean seriously your brain must be ready to pop by the time you get to your 100 planets?? Long 2nd question wasn't it?
The popups are horribly annoying. I get them so fast that I miss many because they come in succession and I can't read them in time. Is there a way that the game will automatically pause when a popup appears or a setting I can set? Paradox games have a setting like that so you can pick which popups you want to pause the game others you can just send to the message window without them ever popping up.
Why do units or groups break automation when you give them an order? Why can't you give them an order and then after it is fulfilled they go back into automated mode? The military ships and groups don't respond to situations fast enough and so I have to pull some of them off of their silly patrols and send them elsewhere thus breaking their automated control and then I get off doing something else and I forget which ones I've done what with.
I would seriously like to watch someone play this without automation on. I'd like to see how quickly they'd go insane. [:D]
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
Hi Neotheone,
I found Das123's collaborative videos very instructive to watch. You can see what decisions he makes in the early game, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Das24680#g/c/043E4728D291A6B7
I found Das123's collaborative videos very instructive to watch. You can see what decisions he makes in the early game, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Das24680#g/c/043E4728D291A6B7
- cookie monster
- Posts: 1690
- Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 10:09 am
- Location: Birmingham,England
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
ORIGINAL: Neotheone
1st question: How in the hell do you play this thing with so many things to do? I have turned everything on auto and I still don't know what's going on. There is just too much for one person to intake even with a pause feature. I mean for real this thing should have been turn based as it takes me an hour just to think what I should do first and by that time it's too late for that strategy thought!
Usually you watch the explorers to start with and direct some, make more explorers.
2nd question: What's the best way to get an economy going? What should I build first? Should I build the same thing on every colony? What tells me what the planet is good for as far as building things on it?
You tax your population, so you are looking to expand quickly. Research the colonisation techs ASAP.
How often should I build Large Space Ports? Medium ones? Should I ever build small ones?
I just upgrade my starting SP to have more research labs. I build the small ports for trade bonuses/colony happiness bonus from recreation centre and medical center, plus a minor build/retrofit facility. I later place Long Range scanners on them to intercept attack fleets.
Why are taxes so to the point as in Low, Normal or High....why can't I set them numerically?
Taxes are low at developing colonies and high at developed colonies. I leave this automated. You can select the amount yourself in the colony screen.
Why should I build escorts instead of destroyers and/or frigates? How many explorer ships do I really need? Construction ships? Refueling Ships?
Depends entirely on the game. Escorts/frigates are for pirate stopping. Destroyers and above are pure warships.
Why doesn't the ai ever want to trade with me? Who are these Guardians? They got one planet and stomped two of my Fleets in a row nearly 40 ships? Why are so many factions near me when I put them on Distant in the setup?
The AI needs to like you. The Guardians are a High Tech race from the ROTS storyline. You leave them alone and they will leave you alone.
Seriously how do you play in a 1000 to 1400 planet system in real time? Even with 13 opponents that's still 100 planets a piece and that doesn't even count for when you start conquering and gaining 100's and 100's and 100's more? I mean seriously your brain must be ready to pop by the time you get to your 100 planets?? Long 2nd question wasn't it?
The popups are horribly annoying. I get them so fast that I miss many because they come in succession and I can't read them in time. Is there a way that the game will automatically pause when a popup appears or a setting I can set? Paradox games have a setting like that so you can pick which popups you want to pause the game others you can just send to the message window without them ever popping up.
Why do units or groups break automation when you give them an order? Why can't you give them an order and then after it is fulfilled they go back into automated mode? The military ships and groups don't respond to situations fast enough and so I have to pull some of them off of their silly patrols and send them elsewhere thus breaking their automated control and then I get off doing something else and I forget which ones I've done what with.
You broke the automation by giving them a direct order. You can always hit key A afterwards.
I would seriously like to watch someone play this without automation on. I'd like to see how quickly they'd go insane. [:D]
The popups are annoying.
I automate taxes. I queue research. I automate escorts and frigates and construction ships.
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
it depends on tastes, some people like to play with automation on 3000 star huge galaxies.ORIGINAL: Neotheone
1st question: How in the hell do you play this thing with so many things to do? I have turned everything on auto and I still don't know what's going on. There is just too much for one person to intake even with a pause feature. I mean for real this thing should have been turn based as it takes me an hour just to think what I should do first and by that time it's too late for that strategy thought!
2nd question: What's the best way to get an economy going? What should I build first? Should I build the same thing on every colony? What tells me what the planet is good for as far as building things on it?
How often should I build Large Space Ports? Medium ones? Should I ever build small ones?
Why are taxes so to the point as in Low, Normal or High....why can't I set them numerically?
Why should I build escorts instead of destroyers and/or frigates? How many explorer ships do I really need? Construction ships? Refueling Ships?
Why doesn't the ai ever want to trade with me? Who are these Guardians? They got one planet and stomped two of my Fleets in a row nearly 40 ships? Why are so many factions near me when I put them on Distant in the setup?
Seriously how do you play in a 1000 to 1400 planet system in real time? Even with 13 opponents that's still 100 planets a piece and that doesn't even count for when you start conquering and gaining 100's and 100's and 100's more? I mean seriously your brain must be ready to pop by the time you get to your 100 planets?? Long 2nd question wasn't it?
The popups are horribly annoying. I get them so fast that I miss many because they come in succession and I can't read them in time. Is there a way that the game will automatically pause when a popup appears or a setting I can set? Paradox games have a setting like that so you can pick which popups you want to pause the game others you can just send to the message window without them ever popping up.
Why do units or groups break automation when you give them an order? Why can't you give them an order and then after it is fulfilled they go back into automated mode? The military ships and groups don't respond to situations fast enough and so I have to pull some of them off of their silly patrols and send them elsewhere thus breaking their automated control and then I get off doing something else and I forget which ones I've done what with.
I would seriously like to watch someone play this without automation on. I'd like to see how quickly they'd go insane. [:D]
I like to manually control everything on 100-300 star small galaxy with 10 AI's, and play on slowest speed for most of the game (especially battles).
The game allows you to customize it to your hearts content, dont like something? change it.
I believe most of your questions will be answered by the video AAR, except perhaps the one about messages, they do have a section i think it empire setting with checkboxes for whatever type of message types you want to receive like in paradox games.
- nukkxx5058
- Posts: 3141
- Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:57 pm
- Location: France
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
ORIGINAL: Cauldyth
Hi Neotheone,
I found Das123's collaborative videos very instructive to watch. You can see what decisions he makes in the early game, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Das24680#g/c/043E4728D291A6B7
Thanks for the link. Excellent videos indeed ! very helpfull.
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) 
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
Da12's ROTS lets play series is in my opinion more instructive than the Co-op series.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Das24680#grid/user/8AF02E8ABEE10F23
Regarding ship building the first thing you got to get in your head is that the design role (Escort, Gas Mining Base, explorer, carrier etc) dictates what the AI is going to do with that ship/base and where its going to put it. Size is another factor but the design role is paramount. I like to build a "small star port" around every world but I end up loading it up with a fight bays and science labs to the point where it really has the maint costs of medium star port. My destroyers usually end up loaded to the point wheere their costs are similar to cruises too, though you need the first construction tech for that. I also put science labs on all the mining and gas mining bases. When it comes to bases you can really load up heavily but remember your empire will need to shuttle all those resources to the planet where the base is in order to build it. Learning how the resource economy works is #1 most important lesson.
Regarding planets (and resources) spend some time getting to know the expansion planner window. It'll show you what planets you know about that can be colonized and what planets have what resources, what resources you have in storage and what resources you have no mines for. You can send order a colony ship or mining base build and sent out right from the planner. I almost always send a colony ship out if I find a habitable planet unless its far away.
At the very start of the game I tend to build is 6~ exploration ships. Its usually better to save you resources for mining/colony bases rather than military ships so buy off any early pirates..money is A LOT easier to come by than resources..remember you can buy maps, colony spots and various mysterious locations from pirates as well.
To get the AI to trade with you you gotta butter them up. As long as they arnt a hostile race give them gifts (money is easy to come by) and refueling rights. Keep giving them gifts every few months and they'll eventually come around. Dont bother with the Guardians..I just ignore them and stay out of their system.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Das24680#grid/user/8AF02E8ABEE10F23
Regarding ship building the first thing you got to get in your head is that the design role (Escort, Gas Mining Base, explorer, carrier etc) dictates what the AI is going to do with that ship/base and where its going to put it. Size is another factor but the design role is paramount. I like to build a "small star port" around every world but I end up loading it up with a fight bays and science labs to the point where it really has the maint costs of medium star port. My destroyers usually end up loaded to the point wheere their costs are similar to cruises too, though you need the first construction tech for that. I also put science labs on all the mining and gas mining bases. When it comes to bases you can really load up heavily but remember your empire will need to shuttle all those resources to the planet where the base is in order to build it. Learning how the resource economy works is #1 most important lesson.
Regarding planets (and resources) spend some time getting to know the expansion planner window. It'll show you what planets you know about that can be colonized and what planets have what resources, what resources you have in storage and what resources you have no mines for. You can send order a colony ship or mining base build and sent out right from the planner. I almost always send a colony ship out if I find a habitable planet unless its far away.
At the very start of the game I tend to build is 6~ exploration ships. Its usually better to save you resources for mining/colony bases rather than military ships so buy off any early pirates..money is A LOT easier to come by than resources..remember you can buy maps, colony spots and various mysterious locations from pirates as well.
To get the AI to trade with you you gotta butter them up. As long as they arnt a hostile race give them gifts (money is easy to come by) and refueling rights. Keep giving them gifts every few months and they'll eventually come around. Dont bother with the Guardians..I just ignore them and stay out of their system.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
Wow Evrett what kind of degree do you have? That's a lot of info to intake and comprehend in a game like this and this massive in scope and most especially in details. The number of resources alone is daunting let alone all the components to build a ship design...just totally overwhelming to me.
I can't get my race to build or design large military ships like cruisers, capital ships, carriers or refueling ships. What do I need to tech up in to get these to show up on the build screens? I have large spaceports all over the place but to no avail to be able to build the big stuff?
I did figure out how to do taxes and research manually and have lots of money 800k and about 40 colonies now so I guess I figured out how to do colonizing as other races I've encountered now only have 7-11 colonies compared to me. I never could find the button for colony ships until just recently and so I was building colony ships out the ying yang. I think I have like 20+ in reserve.
Just need some help getting large military ships and what's important to research for war?
I can't get my race to build or design large military ships like cruisers, capital ships, carriers or refueling ships. What do I need to tech up in to get these to show up on the build screens? I have large spaceports all over the place but to no avail to be able to build the big stuff?
I did figure out how to do taxes and research manually and have lots of money 800k and about 40 colonies now so I guess I figured out how to do colonizing as other races I've encountered now only have 7-11 colonies compared to me. I never could find the button for colony ships until just recently and so I was building colony ships out the ying yang. I think I have like 20+ in reserve.
Just need some help getting large military ships and what's important to research for war?
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
ORIGINAL: Evrett
Da12's ROTS lets play series is in my opinion more instructive than the Co-op series.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Das24680#grid/user/8AF02E8ABEE10F23
Thanks Evrett, I haven't watched those. I jumped straight to the Legends one since I thought it would be the most appropriate, but I'll check out the RotS ones now too.
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
I also recommend checking out those Das youtube videos.
-Warspite3-
- Gelatinous Cube
- Posts: 696
- Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:34 am
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
ORIGINAL: Neotheone
Wow Evrett what kind of degree do you have? That's a lot of info to intake and comprehend in a game like this and this massive in scope and most especially in details. The number of resources alone is daunting let alone all the components to build a ship design...just totally overwhelming to me.
I can't get my race to build or design large military ships like cruisers, capital ships, carriers or refueling ships. What do I need to tech up in to get these to show up on the build screens? I have large spaceports all over the place but to no avail to be able to build the big stuff?
I did figure out how to do taxes and research manually and have lots of money 800k and about 40 colonies now so I guess I figured out how to do colonizing as other races I've encountered now only have 7-11 colonies compared to me. I never could find the button for colony ships until just recently and so I was building colony ships out the ying yang. I think I have like 20+ in reserve.
Just need some help getting large military ships and what's important to research for war?
Well, everything really. Everything in DW comes down to components, and almost every tech affects components in one way or another. I tend to leave ship design well-enough alone (mostly because I play on very large maps, where it would be just too much for me to try and control that AND everything else), and the AI does a decent job making competitive ships. At least, compared to the other AIs.
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
ORIGINAL: Neotheone
Wow Evrett what kind of degree do you have? That's a lot of info to intake and comprehend in a game like this and this massive in scope and most especially in details. The number of resources alone is daunting let alone all the components to build a ship design...just totally overwhelming to me.
I can't get my race to build or design large military ships like cruisers, capital ships, carriers or refueling ships. What do I need to tech up in to get these to show up on the build screens? I have large spaceports all over the place but to no avail to be able to build the big stuff?
I did figure out how to do taxes and research manually and have lots of money 800k and about 40 colonies now so I guess I figured out how to do colonizing as other races I've encountered now only have 7-11 colonies compared to me. I never could find the button for colony ships until just recently and so I was building colony ships out the ying yang. I think I have like 20+ in reserve.
Just need some help getting large military ships and what's important to research for war?
Most of the fun in Distant worlds is designing your own ships.
Mortalen empire is what im playing right now, and Im taking advantage of their special trustees. So at the Escort level, I designed a super fast super maneuverable lightly armored missile ship although i controll most of the game, I do allow these small escorts on Auto to patrol my systems and hunt pirates. They can generally stay ahead of any enemy and lob missles at them from a distance. Of critical importance is to set standoff mode on the upper left side for both tougher and weaker enemies.
Next I designed missile frigates, these are meant to augment my main fleet in battle, and shoot missiles at star-bases or other ships while staying out of range. These have more shields and more fuel reserves and more missile pods but are slower and less maneuverable then the escorts.
Finally my ship of line is a destroyer class heavily armed with blasters, with a lot of shields and armor. I plan to replace the blasters with beams once i get to research them.
Also my troop ships, I added like 6 more troop compartments, gave them more shield and set them to "never run" because I may have to force land on some major planets I dont want my troop ships to turn around when their shields are down to 20. (I dont have any cruisers/battleships/carriers yet since this is the early game)
I try to come up with different and creative designs every game. I try to imagine a ship class and what kind off use it could be. Sometime I get it way wrong, and have to redesign something that looked good on paper forcing me to delay a war or suffer losses as im retrofitting my ships. This all greatly helps improve the immersion and challenge of gameplay.
- Erik Rutins
- Posts: 39783
- Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 4:00 pm
- Location: Vermont, USA
- Contact:
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
Ares106,
I agree, ship design can be a lot of fun. When I play for fun, I do manual ship design as well and there are really many different kinds of designs you can try, each of which can lead to a different ship or fleet combat strategy.
We'll be making manual ship design more accessible in the second official update and I'm very much looking forward to that. [8D]
Regards,
- Erik
I agree, ship design can be a lot of fun. When I play for fun, I do manual ship design as well and there are really many different kinds of designs you can try, each of which can lead to a different ship or fleet combat strategy.
We'll be making manual ship design more accessible in the second official update and I'm very much looking forward to that. [8D]
Regards,
- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/
Freedom is not Free.
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
We'll be making manual ship design more accessible in the second official update and I'm very much looking forward to that.
Can you make it 3D like in GalCiv 2 and more colorful?[&o]
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
While the lego assembly plant in galciv2 is pretty damn fun and creative..DW has stayed true to the Moo2 ship design scheme which is tried and true. Dont fix it if it aint broken
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
We concur. Galciv2s ship design was enjoyable, but didn't really affect ships in any meaningful way apart from their appereance.
The only things that need some sort of fixing are the ship design screens interface (which is being worked on for next patch) and relatively inferior AI desings when player chooses to manually design their own ships (this's been worked on also if I've understood right).
The only things that need some sort of fixing are the ship design screens interface (which is being worked on for next patch) and relatively inferior AI desings when player chooses to manually design their own ships (this's been worked on also if I've understood right).
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
Well it doesn't hurt to ask guys. I'm just so used to GalCiv2's ship design feature. It's like the best thing this side of hot sliced butter on a flaky biscuit and honey.
It also seemed less daunting too. I'm starting to get the hang of this game though but 3 days to do that is a rather long learning curve and I'm still learning stuff. Nobody has really answered what I should build in the early game for optimum Income though?
- AminMaalouf
- Posts: 176
- Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:45 pm
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
Nobody has really answered what I should build in the early game for optimum Income though?
1. Gas mining bases
2. Luxury & gold mining bases
3. Space ports
4. Avoid to build too many combat ships, so the ai can use the construction slots for civilian ships.
5. Do not forget that the ai needs also resources when it is building civilian ships additional to those that come with spaceports.
------------
Result: optimised income
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
Thanks Amin. 
- cookie monster
- Posts: 1690
- Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 10:09 am
- Location: Birmingham,England
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
ORIGINAL: AminMaalouf
Nobody has really answered what I should build in the early game for optimum Income though?
1. Gas mining bases
2. Luxury & gold mining bases
3. Space ports
4. Avoid to build too many combat ships, so the ai can use the construction slots for civilian ships.
5. Do not forget that the ai needs also resources when it is building civilian ships additional to those that come with spaceports.
------------
Result: optimised income
LOL Colonies/Colony Ships...get those explorers working.
The vast majority of your income is from population taxes.
You can open your empire detail screen and look at your income and expenses.
When resources are traded you take a commision through the trading centre.
RE: A Ton of Questions Help me Mr. Wizard
ORIGINAL: J HG T
We concur. Galciv2s ship design was enjoyable, but didn't really affect ships in any meaningful way apart from their appereance.
The only things that need some sort of fixing are the ship design screens interface (which is being worked on for next patch) and relatively inferior AI desings when player chooses to manually design their own ships (this's been worked on also if I've understood right).
Not sure which parallel dimension you come from but if your saying that changing an Ion Drive for a Hyperwarp III (Default Tech) doesn't affect your ships in any meaningful way your dimension has a very strange version of GalCiv II [:D]
The ship design in GalCiv II IMHO is the best ive seen yet, each design can be tailored to a certain design strategy, just like DW, Each design can also be saved seperately and will come up in the next game you play to save the time of designing, after a few games you end up with a folder full of custom designs that can be used no matter what strategy you adopt.The appearence of your empires ships can really reflect your direction for them, it also makes it easier to discern which ship is what, unlike generic ship images which are all the same but with different designs under the hood.
Maybe DW could go halfway and have a ship design system that has different blank base images (escort, frigate, battleship etc) and when placing each part it could be represented by a small image added on to the blank baseplate, so each ship you design would end up looking different and allow for more customization of your empires ships and make it so you can tell whats what just by looking.
SE IV / MOO II type ship design is way to spreadsheet for 2011/12. Ive been playing these 4X since M.U.L.E back in the eighties and GCII is the only 4X ive seen that does break the mould on ship design, fun and functional.
Darkspire








