A Question For You Experts Out There
Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid
A Question For You Experts Out There
How much was nighttime strafing attacks used during the war?
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.


Not an Expert, but...
The only situation I'm familiar with was some of the Black Cat PBY's were fitted with grouped, forward firing .50's for barge interdiction. But the key isn't the armament, it's the existence and use of radio altimeters, which allowed aircraft to fly low over featureless water without going "kersplash" (normally very difficult to do by eye alone.)
Anybody know if they did that with any other attack planes? In the Atlantic they used searchlights on anitsubmarine patrol aircraft for night strafing and attack.
PBYPilot
"Slow airplanes and fast women."
Anybody know if they did that with any other attack planes? In the Atlantic they used searchlights on anitsubmarine patrol aircraft for night strafing and attack.
PBYPilot
"Slow airplanes and fast women."

Low altitude
Hi, Early skip bombing attacks were all done at night.
Full Moon or flares dropped to light target and then the aircraft would drop down from 2k to 100 to 200 feet.
Works ok against large targets like ships but for dug in troops
not very well.
Full Moon or flares dropped to light target and then the aircraft would drop down from 2k to 100 to 200 feet.
Works ok against large targets like ships but for dug in troops
not very well.
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
I have not heard of any to tell you the truth. Sakai specifically mentions nighttime medium bomber "nuisance raids" that tried to keep them up all night and not allow them rest. Damage was minimal and often negatory in results. Eventually they learned to just tune it out mostly!
And of course "Washing Machine Charlie" is well documented at Guadalcanal (singular bombing attacks)
Nighttime strafing would seem to me an extremely difficult, highly dangerous and unprofitable venture.
And of course "Washing Machine Charlie" is well documented at Guadalcanal (singular bombing attacks)
Nighttime strafing would seem to me an extremely difficult, highly dangerous and unprofitable venture.
No references to night strafing in any of the indexed cites on strafing in Bergerud's "Fire in the Sky". If anything there's a quote that seems to rule it out. One of the Beaufighter pilots talks about strafing (barges, again) at dawn and dusk, because they moved at night. Obviously, if they could have strafed them at night when they were moving, they would have done so.
So gotta agree with Nikademus - maybe possible but very high risk of loss of aircraft and very low chance of hitting anything.
PBYPilot
"Slow airplanes and fast women."
So gotta agree with Nikademus - maybe possible but very high risk of loss of aircraft and very low chance of hitting anything.
PBYPilot
"Slow airplanes and fast women."

Here is the AAR That prompted me to ask
These are all night attacks.
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/05/43
Weather: Partly Cloudy
Air attack on Gili Gili , at 17,42
Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 31
Ki-49 Helen x 8
Allied aircraft
no losses
Allied aircraft losses
B-25J Mitchell x 1 destroyed
B-25J Mitchell x 5 damaged
SBD Dauntless x 2 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 4 damaged
P-40E Kittyhawk x 1 destroyed
P-40E Kittyhawk x 9 damaged
Allied ground losses:
Men lost 139
Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 19
Attacking Level Bombers:
20 x Ki-21 Sally at 100 feet
8 x Ki-49 Helen at 100 feet
11 x Ki-21 Sally at 100 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Woodlark Island , at 22,39
Japanese aircraft
Ki-48 Lily x 20
Allied aircraft
no losses
Allied aircraft losses
P-38G Lightning x 2 destroyed
P-38G Lightning x 29 damaged
Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 5
Attacking Level Bombers:
20 x Ki-48 Lily at 100 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Irau , at 42,43
Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 12
G4M1 Betty x 37
Ki-48 Lily x 15
Allied aircraft
no losses
Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 9 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 43 damaged
P-40E Kittyhawk x 3 destroyed
P-40E Kittyhawk x 5 damaged
P-40E Warhawk x 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk x 1 damaged
F4U-1 Corsair x 4 destroyed
F4U-1 Corsair x 6 damaged
Allied ground losses:
Men lost 10
Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 47
Attacking Level Bombers:
5 x G4M1 Betty at 100 feet
6 x G3M Nell at 100 feet
9 x G4M1 Betty at 100 feet
7 x G4M1 Betty at 100 feet
11 x G4M1 Betty at 100 feet
15 x Ki-48 Lily at 100 feet
5 x G4M1 Betty at 100 feet
6 x G3M Nell at 100 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/05/43
Weather: Partly Cloudy
Air attack on Gili Gili , at 17,42
Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 31
Ki-49 Helen x 8
Allied aircraft
no losses
Allied aircraft losses
B-25J Mitchell x 1 destroyed
B-25J Mitchell x 5 damaged
SBD Dauntless x 2 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 4 damaged
P-40E Kittyhawk x 1 destroyed
P-40E Kittyhawk x 9 damaged
Allied ground losses:
Men lost 139
Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 19
Attacking Level Bombers:
20 x Ki-21 Sally at 100 feet
8 x Ki-49 Helen at 100 feet
11 x Ki-21 Sally at 100 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Woodlark Island , at 22,39
Japanese aircraft
Ki-48 Lily x 20
Allied aircraft
no losses
Allied aircraft losses
P-38G Lightning x 2 destroyed
P-38G Lightning x 29 damaged
Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 5
Attacking Level Bombers:
20 x Ki-48 Lily at 100 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Irau , at 42,43
Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 12
G4M1 Betty x 37
Ki-48 Lily x 15
Allied aircraft
no losses
Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 9 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 43 damaged
P-40E Kittyhawk x 3 destroyed
P-40E Kittyhawk x 5 damaged
P-40E Warhawk x 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk x 1 damaged
F4U-1 Corsair x 4 destroyed
F4U-1 Corsair x 6 damaged
Allied ground losses:
Men lost 10
Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 47
Attacking Level Bombers:
5 x G4M1 Betty at 100 feet
6 x G3M Nell at 100 feet
9 x G4M1 Betty at 100 feet
7 x G4M1 Betty at 100 feet
11 x G4M1 Betty at 100 feet
15 x Ki-48 Lily at 100 feet
5 x G4M1 Betty at 100 feet
6 x G3M Nell at 100 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.


Re: Here is the AAR That prompted me to ask
Originally posted by Kid
These are all night attacks.
Sure seems a wee bit ahistorical to me...
Actually I don't mind night low level attacks. It's just the attacker should have about 90% operational casualties when they do so.
I don't believe the Japanese ever developed either radio altimeters, or airborne search radar, which are the only things that allowed the allies to conduct their low level naval interdiction raids at night.
And neither side did the kind of low level night ground attack being shown with devastating effectiveness in Kid's example.
One more for the list, if a list even exists.
PBYPilot
"Slow airplanes and fast women."
Edited because I can't spell and type at the same time.

Re: Re: Here is the AAR That prompted me to ask
Originally posted by PBYPilot
One more for the list, if a list even exists.
LOL, I am the keeper of the list.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.


Aircraft
Hi, It looks like the program has your aircraft lined up wingtip to wing tip at night waiting for the brave strafer with night vision.
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Those results don't sound ahistorical..
they sound absolutely ridiculous - given the problems with night bombing in all theaters in WWII. Good grief - they must have had fires built around the airfield with large arrows pointing to the revetments and guys with spotlights pointing out the aircraft. Most night bombers couldn't hit the broad side of a bulls butt with a bass fiddle from inside the barn.
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
those results are impressive indeed......especially at night. Somethings fishy all right.
As it is right now, even in daylight, I'm finding airbases just a tad bit too easy to shut down completely. Worse, once this "shutdown" period is reached, your air units there become trapped and cannot be withdrawn. I think this needs to be addressed, at least for WitP.
ground casualties remain a bit on the high side too. Dont mind them for troops that have little to no entrenchments, but heavy entrenchments should yield very little in ratio to effort expended. The soPac theater was a long campaign
As it is right now, even in daylight, I'm finding airbases just a tad bit too easy to shut down completely. Worse, once this "shutdown" period is reached, your air units there become trapped and cannot be withdrawn. I think this needs to be addressed, at least for WitP.
ground casualties remain a bit on the high side too. Dont mind them for troops that have little to no entrenchments, but heavy entrenchments should yield very little in ratio to effort expended. The soPac theater was a long campaign
these are the sorts of things about games that drive me nuts.
this is nothing more then taking advantage of what the game lets you do. legal in the game : yes realistic: no
what really should be done about these types of tactics is make a list of all the ridiculous and insane tactics that the game allows and apply penalties or rules that severely limit these tactics.
with all the other rules in the game , how about a few that curb this type of ridiclous play.
this is nothing more then taking advantage of what the game lets you do. legal in the game : yes realistic: no
what really should be done about these types of tactics is make a list of all the ridiculous and insane tactics that the game allows and apply penalties or rules that severely limit these tactics.
with all the other rules in the game , how about a few that curb this type of ridiclous play.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton


You can always set house rules. My opponent and I agreed at the start of the game we would live with whatever the game allowed us to do. Like my opponent said "its a two edge sword” both players have the opportunity to take advantage.
The reason for the post was to get hard facts so I could make an informed decision what to do about it for WITP.
Rick
The reason for the post was to get hard facts so I could make an informed decision what to do about it for WITP.
Rick
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.


Kid,
The problem with that rule of "Do it if you can do it" is when one opponent knows how to game the system and the other does not. Makes for a lopsided match when you do it that way.
Its far easier to adopt a set of rules that most people here agree are only gaming the system, and abide by them.
Just my opinion.
The problem with that rule of "Do it if you can do it" is when one opponent knows how to game the system and the other does not. Makes for a lopsided match when you do it that way.
Its far easier to adopt a set of rules that most people here agree are only gaming the system, and abide by them.
Just my opinion.
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Originally posted by Knavey
Kid,
The problem with that rule of "Do it if you can do it" is when one opponent knows how to game the system and the other does not. Makes for a lopsided match when you do it that way.
Its far easier to adopt a set of rules that most people here agree are only gaming the system, and abide by them.
Just my opinion.
Oh, I'm not supporting one way or the other. I was just explaining the rules under which we were operating.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.


ijn
I kicked butt with night time strafing attacks by floatplanes, especially Jakes, until I decided it was totally not historical, nor realistic. Resupply does seem to have a few problems as covered by R. Saueracker and others. I have not seen any other really unreasonable "flaws" in UV. It's a great game!!! 
A WILLING FOE AND SEA ROOM...
ANONYMOUS
ANONYMOUS
Although I find that there are a few tweaks needed in this excellent game. (See my post on surface combat), I am adverse to using house rules. It is my experience that the rules themselves lead to more confusion and misinterpretation, and could end some friendships. There just is no black and white in a computer sim where there is bound to be ways to get an advantage.
I just try to adjust to my opponents style of play. If he is not taking advantage of the system and pulling unrealistic ploys, then neither will I. I try to use my units within realistic bounds. However, I really do not expect my opponents to conform to my beliefs. I can quickly adjust to their style of play. No sweat. If I think things are getting out of hand, I just look for another opponent in future games.
I just try to adjust to my opponents style of play. If he is not taking advantage of the system and pulling unrealistic ploys, then neither will I. I try to use my units within realistic bounds. However, I really do not expect my opponents to conform to my beliefs. I can quickly adjust to their style of play. No sweat. If I think things are getting out of hand, I just look for another opponent in future games.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.
Sigismund of Luxemburg
Sigismund of Luxemburg







