Hi From Abe

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
JWE
Posts: 5039
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:02 pm

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: TheElf
I thought you all would be interested to hear that I am typing this from the USS Abraham Lincoln, somewhere in the Arabian Gulf. The last night recovery is in process. Hornets and Super Hornets are smacking the deck rigth over my head as I watch The latest Pirates of the Carribean movie on the ship's TV. I will be feet dry in a day or so but am enjoying being back in the fleet if only for a couple nights.

~Elf
Howdy Elf. Never been on a ship named for Abraham. Closest I ever got was a Mull 44 named Promised Land. Fast boat, but did you ever try to do a Bris when it's blowing 26 knots (true) and the skipper wants to crack-off and put up the reaching kite? Woof !!
Image
Know what you mean about hornets smacking the deck overhead. For some strange reason, David always cooks and I always put him on the B watch. He always cooks something up for dinner with lots beans and chipotle chilies, and when I'm off-watch trying to get some shuteye, he lets out these thunder farts that vibrate the whole deck (probably 'cause he snores as well as farts in his sleep, and it does get a trifle close below decks in a race boat, so I banished him to B watch).

Yeah, being on boats is way cool. But getting feet dry every now and again is good.

Spring is here and everybody is up in the air with their experimentals. Was bike riding with a friend out by Summerdale and we got a sweet ride in a Stearman from a very friendly Ensign. P'cola is still the same place. So come see an old man, sometime.[:)]

Stay safe Bro. John
Attachments
Mohel.jpg
Mohel.jpg (14.8 KiB) Viewed 398 times
User avatar
BigBadWolf
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:01 am
Location: Serbia

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by BigBadWolf »

ORIGINAL: crsutton



Actually, what I would not give to spend 48 hours on a modern carrier.

This. Kid in a candy store? Yea, right...
Image
Mac Linehan
Posts: 1519
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Denver Colorado

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by Mac Linehan »

Elf -

You are always missed when gone. I do hope that you get some serious filight time - cause that's what you live for, Sir!


Be safe - God is your Co-pilot

Mac
LAV-25 2147
pmelheck1
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:04 pm
Location: Alabama

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by pmelheck1 »

Enjoy your time on the Abe. Closest This Air Force Person got was a couple of days on the Midway during the Philippines evacuation. Much tighter spaces than Clark AFB.
User avatar
Dixie
Posts: 10304
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: UK

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: TheElf

I thought you all would be interested to hear that I am typing this from the USS Abraham Lincoln, somewhere in the Arabian Gulf. The last night recovery is in process. Hornets and Super Hornets are smacking the deck rigth over my head as I watch The latest Pirates of the Carribean movie on the ship's TV. I will be feet dry in a day or so but am enjoying being back in the fleet if only for a couple nights.

~Elf

Hope you're having fun mate, my Dad was on the phone from that neck of the woods a couple of days ago. He said he watched you (not you personally but the ship) leave port whilst he was off duty and they were tied up alongside.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Mac Linehan
Posts: 1519
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Denver Colorado

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by Mac Linehan »

ny59giants -

You gotta be kidding. Two members of this forum who were shipmates - I served on USS Bowen 1980 - 1981 as a GMG2, serving the 5/54 cal Mk 42 Mod 9 mount forward (ok - it's the only mount and kind of big... <grin>). Eddy (SuluSea) served on the USS Capadanno FF-1093 the 1980's; I served on Capadanno in 1977 - 1978, right out of gunnery school in Great Lakes. I am going to have to check my notes and make sure I have the dates right.

I loved gunnery exercises, and loved being inside the mount - watching the two ammunition cradles cycle the semi fixed ammunition (on an alternating basis) to the transfer trays, which in turn rotated and opened to allow ramming powder and projectile into the breach. Massive pieces of machinery, working in awesome harmony until "cease fire" Then it was "bore clear, no casualties, five rounds expended".

My first ship was the USS Midway, CVA 41, Dec 1971. Midway was armed with the 5/54 MK 39, the manually loaded big brother to the 5/38. As a newb Seaman Apprentice, I was "hot caseman" - supposedly there to catch the ejected powder cartridge and drop it thru the bottom eject doors (or so I was told by my jokester shipmates). Equipped with two over sized asbestos gloves that came up to my elbows, with my bell bottom trousers tucked into my socks (all in approved Condition 1 fashion) and feeling excited and READY, I was totally unprepared for the sheer force and violence with which the powder cartridge hit the rear of the armored splinter shield, leaving a dent in the very hard rubber backing; and thusly suffered a consequent drop in testosterone level. Mom did not raise a fool, after that instance of enlightenment, my main purpose in life was to dance around to avoid having my 120 pound body smeared across the back of the mount by a demonized powder can, while the mount was erratically following the amplidyne signal.

Ok - I digress and am (of course) carried away.

Take care, Shipmates. Till Later...

Mac

USN Sept 1971 - Sept 1981, a four month break, then USMC Jan 1981 - Oct 1992. There is no better finishing school for life..

P.S. - no spell check on my wife's computer, or at least where I can see it, so please forgive any and all mistakes...

LAV-25 2147
KMCCARTHY
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:56 am

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by KMCCARTHY »

Take care!
User avatar
Kwik E Mart
Posts: 2447
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:42 pm

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by Kwik E Mart »

ORIGINAL: TheElf

I thought you all would be interested to hear that I am typing this from the USS Abraham Lincoln, somewhere in the Arabian Gulf. The last night recovery is in process. Hornets and Super Hornets are smacking the deck rigth over my head as I watch The latest Pirates of the Carribean movie on the ship's TV. I will be feet dry in a day or so but am enjoying being back in the fleet if only for a couple nights.

~Elf

...nothing like standing watch in the CIC (USS Carl Vinson) at the end of flight OP's and watching the closed circuit TV as one of these beasts boltered...if the tailhook had managed to snag a wire before the bolter, you had about a second to cover your ears before the d*mn wire smacked the steel deck...like putting an iron bucket on your head and hitting it with a hammer...it was better being in my stateroom up forward and hearing the catapult rumble down the deck overhead before slamming into the water break...the stateroom walls made such a soothing vibrating sound...
Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Image
User avatar
morganbj
Posts: 3472
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:36 am
Location: Mosquito Bite, Texas

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by morganbj »

Ah, the memories, ... sitting in my tank in the rain and snow mix, shivering, without a shower for three weeks, eating cold C-rations three times a day, and for entertainment listening to the squadron S-3 drone on and on over the radio like a politician during election season. What a life. You swabies have no sense of what fun is. [8|]
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

Ah, the memories, ... sitting in my tank in the rain and snow mix, shivering, without a shower for three weeks, eating cold C-rations three times a day, and for entertainment listening to the squadron S-3 drone on and on over the radio like a politician during election season. What a life. You swabies have no sense of what fun is. [8|]

From the great, old Usenet newsgroup sci.military.naval (now fallen on hard itmes), I recalled this classic re-write of a famous Monty Python sketch. Blackbeard was a regular contributor, an ex-bubblehead from Cold War SSN days, and Random was, I think, an ex-birdfarm officer, non-flying type. The war between submariners and skimmer pukes is neverending.

Anyway, it makes ME laugh.


Begin Quote-------

Blackbeard: Ahh . . . Very passable, this, very passable.

Random: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, aye
Blackbeard?

Blackbeard: You're right there, Random.

Random: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here
drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

Blackbeard: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a
cup o' coffee.

Random: A cup o' COLD coffee.

Blackbeard: Without milk or sugar.

Random: OR coffee!

Blackbeard: In a filthy, cracked mug.

Random: We never used to have a mug. We used to have to drink out of a
rolled up newspaper.

Blackbeard: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp
cloth.

Random: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

Blackbeard: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old COB used to say to me,
'Money doesn't buy you happiness.'

Random: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to
sail in this tiiiny old minesweeper, with greaaaaat big holes in the hull.

Blackbeard: Minesweeper? You were lucky to have a Minesweeper! We used
to berth in one compartment, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no racks. Half the deck was
missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

Random: You were lucky to have a compartment! *We* used to have to berth
in a passageway!

Blackbeard: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of berthin' in a passageway! Woulda'
been a palace to us. We used to rack out in an old sanitary tank. We got woken
up every morning by having a load from the head dumped all over us!
Passageway!? Hmph.

Random: Well when I say 'passageway' it was only a hole in the deck
covered by a piece of tarpaulin, but it was a passageway to US.

Blackbeard: We were evicted from *our* hole in the deck; we had to go
rack out topside on a submarine!

Random: You were lucky to be topside! There were a hundred and sixty of
us living in a small shoebox next to the keel.

Blackbeard: Cardboard box?

Random: Aye.

Blackbeard: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a used condom
in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning,
field day the rubber, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work in the bilge for fourteen hours a
day week in-week out. When we got off watch, our COB would thrash us to sleep with
his belt!

Random: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the shoebox at three
o'clock in the morning, field day the bilge, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at
the boiler every day for $.02 a month, and CHENG would beat us around the head and neck
with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

Blackbeard: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up from topside
at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the bilge clean with our tongues.
We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at
the boiler for $.04 every six years, and when we got home, our COB would slice
us in two with a bosun's knife.

Random: Right. I had to get up in the morning at twenty-two-hundred-
hours, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), drink a cup of
sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day below decks, and pay the Navy for
permission to come to work, and when we got done each day, our XO and CHENG would kill
us, and dance about on our corpses singing 'Hallelujah.'

Blackbeard: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they
won't believe ya'.

Random: Nope, nope..

-----------------------------------
The Moose
User avatar
Canoerebel
Posts: 21099
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:21 pm
Location: Northwestern Georgia, USA
Contact:

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by Canoerebel »

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
User avatar
DuckofTindalos
Posts: 39781
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm
Location: Denmark

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by DuckofTindalos »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

ny59giants -

You gotta be kidding. Two members of this forum who were shipmates - I served on USS Bowen 1980 - 1981 as a GMG2, serving the 5/54 cal Mk 42 Mod 9 mount forward (ok - it's the only mount and kind of big... <grin>). Eddy (SuluSea) served on the USS Capadano FF-1093 the 1980's; I served on Capandano in 1977 - 1978, right out of gunnery school in Great Lakes. I am going to have to check my notes and make sure I have the dates right.

I loved gunnery exercises, and loved being insided the mount - watching the two ammunition cradles cycle the semi fixed ammunition (on an alternating basis) to the transfer trays, which in turn rotated and opened to allow ramming powder and projectile into the breach. Massive pieces of machinery, working in awesome harmony until "cease fire" Then it was "bore clear, no casualties, five rounds expended".

My first ship was the USS Midway, CVA 41, Dec 1971. Midway was armed with the 5/54 MK 39, the manually loaded big brother to the 5/38. As a newb Seaman Apprentice, I was "hot caseman" - supposedly there to catch the ejected powder cartridge and drop it thru the bottom eject doors (or so I was told by my jokester shipmates). I was totally unprepared for the sheer force and violence with which the powder cartridge hit the rear of the armored splinter shield, leaving a dent in the very hard rubber backing. Mom did not raise a fool, after that my main purpose in life was to dance around to avoid having my 120 pound body smeared accross the back of the mount by the demonized powder can, while the mount was erratically following the amplidyne signal.

Ok - I digress and am (of course) carried away.

Take care, Shipmates. Till Later...

Mac

USN Sept 1971 - Sept 1981, a four month break, then USMC Jan 1981 - Oct 1992. There is no better finishing school for life..

P.S. - no spell check on my wife's computer, or at least where I can see it, so please forgive any and all mistakes...


I'm thinking you'd really have been carried away if you'd been hit by one of those cartridges.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
rroberson
Posts: 2057
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 7:53 am
Location: Arizona
Contact:

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by rroberson »

Lived right under the cats for five years aboard USS Ranger CV 61. My wife is amazed I can sleep through anything now :P
Image
User avatar
morganbj
Posts: 3472
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:36 am
Location: Mosquito Bite, Texas

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by morganbj »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

...

Blackbeard: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a
cup o' coffee.

Random: A cup o' COLD coffee.

Blackbeard: Without milk or sugar.

Random: OR coffee!

Blackbeard: In a filthy, cracked mug.

Random: We never used to have a mug. We used to have to drink out of a
rolled up newspaper.

Blackbeard: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp
cloth.

...
When I was a company commander, my mess sergeant made the worst coffee known to man. Two sips and I either had the runs, or the dry heaves. One day, though, after we had been on a field excecise for three or four weeks, he came up and proudly handed me a canteen cup of the best coffee I had ever had. My first sergeant even liked it (and he was a REAL critic of coffee). We asked him how he made it and he said he used different filters. We walked back over to the mess truck and pulled the top of the coffee urn off. To our my astonisment and Top's disgust, we saw that he had used old army boot socks for filters.

I shrugged and drank the coffee.

Top took the next fifteeen minutes to look for toenails at the bottom of his cup. I don't remember if he found any.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
Knavey
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:25 am
Location: Valrico, Florida

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by Knavey »

Spent a lot of time tied up to the pier across from the Abe when she was in Norfolk many years ago. She was on Pier 12S and we were on 12N.

When you walked between the two during the winter months it was like walking into a hurricane due to the wind tunnel effect.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Knavey
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:25 am
Location: Valrico, Florida

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by Knavey »

Oh,

Lets see if I remember the berthing number...3-225-0-L I think it was. You guys are posting about being on the O-3 level so I was 50 feet under you and I could hear the arresting gear when they were doing flight ops so I imagine it was quite noisy up there.
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Knavey
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:25 am
Location: Valrico, Florida

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by Knavey »

Clarification for those that don't know...decks on an aircraft carrier are numbered as such. 3 was the deck number, 255 was the number of frames from bow to stern so 255 was near the back of the ship. 0 was how far from midships and L was for left or R for right side of the ship...why not port and starboard...not sure.

O-8 (Maybe a few higher...nosebled sections of the tower area and vultures row and bridge etc up in this area)
O-7
O-6
O-5
Flight deck (think this was O-4 but I rarely came up this far)
O-3
O-2
O-1
1
2
3
4 (Engine rooms, reactors and such below this level which is where I spent my time)
5
6
7
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
User avatar
USSAmerica
Posts: 19211
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:32 am
Location: Graham, NC, USA
Contact:

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: Knavey

Oh,

Lets see if I remember the berthing number...3-225-0-L I think it was. You guys are posting about being on the O-3 level so I was 50 feet under you and I could hear the arresting gear when they were doing flight ops so I imagine it was quite noisy up there.

LOL...my berthing was on the O-2 level at frame 29. About 18 feet below Cat 1. [>:]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Image
Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Knavey
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 4:25 am
Location: Valrico, Florida

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by Knavey »

Don't you mean "NO [>:]"

We had a space up near starboard bow cat room. You had to go through it to get to that space. Why...not sure. But that was one LOUD room when those cats were in use.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: Hi From Abe

Post by geofflambert »

So many of you have actual military experience or are in the military now. The extent of my experience was growing up in Rantoul, IL home of Chanute AFB. I went to school with all the AF brats (I'm talking '65 forward) and they were quite a diverse bunch, we had everything, Amerindians, Orientals etc. etc.. It took me a long time to learn what racism was, there was none of it among them (though I did run into it with some of the aborigines there [:D] see farmers). I should mention that I had a black uncle living in NYC who married my aunt when that was illegal in many states. Their daughter was almost exactly my age and I remember I thought she was quite a beauty (she is). My den mother's husband was like a Chief Master Sergeant, and he was black and quite jovial (at least when I saw him). The first time I met him I remember him coming home when we were having a meeting there and it kinda felt like Santa Claus coming in the door, I just stared at all those stripes (I think my mouth was agape). I didn't know exactly what they all meant but I knew they were a big deal. Sonic booms, contrails in abundance etc. were de rigueur there. I think I saw some rather strange aircraft above me at times. I'd like to say my uncle was also a friend of Lena Horne. He was a banker (he's retired) but he was also a deep baritone and was trained in Classical works and gave concerts frequently. I'll stop now, blah blah blah.

Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”