Lunacy on the net, forums, company
Moderator: maddog986
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
My home town in Iowa lost 60% of it's male population in the Civil War. W1, the civil war in the North at least is only felt if you go into museum's and look at statues dedicated to the people who lost their lives. However it is a much different story if you drive thru the south. Last summer we dove to Orlando Florida. As we drove into Tennessee and Georgia, there were a lot of billboards with confederate flags, clearly they are reminded of the civil war every day. But as we got into Florida it was almost like back home, people talked the same as I did, it was almost a yankee state. People tend to move at a faster pace up north than the south, and I don't mean it in a bad way either, but it is a different culture, for sure. I expect it's the same way in the UK.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
WI,ORIGINAL: warspite1
Warspite1ORIGINAL: nate25
No flag that ever graced a Southern regiment belongs to a Yankee state. [;)]
But isn't Iowa's case that they captured the regimental flag and men died doing so and are therefore they are entitled to keep it? Not taking sides here - it's not my beef - just trying to understand the argument.
This is the case that Iowa made, they more or less said, we fought for that flag, we are sorry but it's ours.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
I suspect that Missouri and Mississippi argue that the flags are their property and that they were stolen by Iowa. I also suspect that it was the court in Iowa that decided that they had no case. This is just me musing for myself.ORIGINAL: warspite1
Warspite1ORIGINAL: nate25
No flag that ever graced a Southern regiment belongs to a Yankee state. [;)]
But isn't Iowa's case that they captured the regimental flag and men died doing so and are therefore they are entitled to keep it? Not taking sides here - it's not my beef - just trying to understand the argument.
As a note many countries want to get items back from Sweden. The Devil's Bible might be the most famous item that is a dispute today.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned. - Quote from Firefly
A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned. - Quote from Firefly
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
This is more or less what Sweden is saying as well in addition to tell them that this is ancient history. Can't go back and change all things done in the past. Our common past is ful of wars and wrong doings. At some point one must leave the past and move on.This is the case that Iowa made, they more or less said, we fought for that flag, we are sorry but it's ours.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned. - Quote from Firefly
A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned. - Quote from Firefly
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
Orm,
There are a lot of Norish (Norway) and Swedish people in Minnesota. In Iowa there are a lot of Dutch and Germans. Nebraska is almost entirely all German. My Wife's mother side is all Swedish. My wife makes the best ostakaka, hands down.
There are a lot of Norish (Norway) and Swedish people in Minnesota. In Iowa there are a lot of Dutch and Germans. Nebraska is almost entirely all German. My Wife's mother side is all Swedish. My wife makes the best ostakaka, hands down.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
I know. More than 1 million Swedes immigrated from Sweden to USA from around 1880 to world war one. I think that was around one fifth of Swedens population. I seem to recall that during that time Chicago had the second largest Swedish population in the world after the Swedish capital Stockholm.ORIGINAL: rogo727
Orm,
There are a lot of Norish (Norway) and Swedish people in Minnesota. In Iowa there are a lot of Dutch and Germans. Nebraska is almost entirely all German. My Wife's mother side is all Swedish. My wife makes the best ostakaka, hands down.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned. - Quote from Firefly
A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned. - Quote from Firefly
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
Warspite1ORIGINAL: Orm
I suspect that Missouri and Mississippi argue that the flags are their property and that they were stolen by Iowa. I also suspect that it was the court in Iowa that decided that they had no case. This is just me musing for myself.ORIGINAL: warspite1
Warspite1ORIGINAL: nate25
No flag that ever graced a Southern regiment belongs to a Yankee state. [;)]
But isn't Iowa's case that they captured the regimental flag and men died doing so and are therefore they are entitled to keep it? Not taking sides here - it's not my beef - just trying to understand the argument.
As a note many countries want to get items back from Sweden. The Devil's Bible might be the most famous item that is a dispute today.
Our most well know case is the Elgin Marbles (Marble Sculptures). Lord Elgin had permission to remove some of these from the Parthenon and take to England. He did, and put them in a museum. Only trouble was, it was the Ottomans that gave us the permission - not the Greeks. The Greeks have been demanding them back ever since.
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
Lunacy on the Net, Forums, company...
Yes, I am all for it.
Best wishes,
Steve
Yes, I am all for it.
Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
I hear the cannons around southern buildings of importance all face North. Is there still big South\North issues? Enough in say a massive crises for tensions to kick off again?
As for Northern and Southern in the UK, I'm a northerner genetic wise yet spent a fair time in Devon, I have to say Northerners are better looking, especially than say Devonshire people due to obvious signs of inter breeding in the past, and this is no word of a lie or exaggeration. Even my mates some who where born there used to play a game on Saturday mornings in the town center. We'd go for a coffee and watch passers by playing spot the interbred.
As for Northern and Southern in the UK, I'm a northerner genetic wise yet spent a fair time in Devon, I have to say Northerners are better looking, especially than say Devonshire people due to obvious signs of inter breeding in the past, and this is no word of a lie or exaggeration. Even my mates some who where born there used to play a game on Saturday mornings in the town center. We'd go for a coffee and watch passers by playing spot the interbred.
- Yogi the Great
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:28 pm
- Location: Wisconsin
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
Warspite1ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great
![]()
Is that a badger or beaver?
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
- Yogi the Great
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:28 pm
- Location: Wisconsin
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
ORIGINAL: warspite1
Warspite1ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great
![]()
Is that a badger or beaver?
Which picture are you asking about?
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
Warspite1ORIGINAL: nate25
Which picture?
[:D] - top one of course!
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
Warspite1ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great
ORIGINAL: warspite1
Warspite1ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great
![]()
Is that a badger or beaver?
Which picture are you asking about?
Great minds!!
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
That's a Badger - truly a Big Ten orphan.
I have a subtle and cunning plan.
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
Warspite1ORIGINAL: nate25
That's a Badger - truly a Big Ten orphan.
mmmmm....nice badger [;)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
No Briton ever answered my question - is Mother's Day celebrated in England?
I have a subtle and cunning plan.
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
Warspite1ORIGINAL: nate25
No Briton ever answered my question - is Mother's Day celebrated in England?
Yes - March I think, with the important one - Father's Day - in June [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company
Parusski's SO must've kicked the computer. Haven't had a word, have we?
I have a subtle and cunning plan.








