Jess' Beyond the Beachhead PBEM scenario
Moderator: MOD_SPWaW
Jess' Beyond the Beachhead PBEM scenario
First off, I have to say this is a very nice map of the Normany landing beaches. I was there in September and when I opened the map, the first thing I saw was an accurately represented bunker that I had actually been in on the far western edge of the beaches angled along the beaches, rather than out to sea like you might expect. The gullies that need to be taken are represented very well too. I'm just glad I wasn't there for real. Having seen the beaches, I think I would rather have taken my chances with the AirBorne guys, that's for sure.
My men are in disarray, spread all over the place with platoon leaders nowhere near their squads. I have to get off this beach! Do I try to regroup and then push forward or just try to get the hell out of here?
I take many casualties up and down the beach as I move forward popping smoke for cover. The only damage I know I did was to kill two German soldiers, causing that squad to retreat. Hooray for me!
With sighting so much harder in H2H, this could be a tough one with the Germans dug in and with bunkers and such. I hope I didn't leave too many targets for the Germans. Jess seems to have turned off the "*" symbol that lets you know you have been spotted.
My men are in disarray, spread all over the place with platoon leaders nowhere near their squads. I have to get off this beach! Do I try to regroup and then push forward or just try to get the hell out of here?
I take many casualties up and down the beach as I move forward popping smoke for cover. The only damage I know I did was to kill two German soldiers, causing that squad to retreat. Hooray for me!
With sighting so much harder in H2H, this could be a tough one with the Germans dug in and with bunkers and such. I hope I didn't leave too many targets for the Germans. Jess seems to have turned off the "*" symbol that lets you know you have been spotted.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
Beyond the Beach-head
Heard the enemy planes flying all night. They flew beyond the beaches moving well inland. Most of our communications to the rear have been cut, and nobody seems to know what is going on. It is obvious that the long awaited American GI's have arrived. Many bodies float among the shattered Higgins boats in the surf. Naval gunfire has shattered the once beautiful landscapes. This American commander knows a little about what he is doing, as his use of smoke has severely degraded our Lines-of-Sight. As far as we can tell he has yet to make a penetration of the sea wall. We have seen a few heads poke above the barrier wall, but our sharpshooters and AA machineguns have shown them the futility of their position. Much to our chagrin the finely positioned fortifications will be easily outflanked unless the smoke clears quickly. We can hear the sounds of some heavy equipment rumbling on the beach, but have yet to sight any serious armor threat to our front. Wish I had contact with my armor friends to the rear in case thing start getting rough.
"Come on men!" "Push the Americans back into the sea!"
From the new front...-Shoe
"Come on men!" "Push the Americans back into the sea!"
From the new front...-Shoe
People like me should scare the hell out of you. Why? Because I can get inside your head. And once there, I run around like a squirrel through a habiTrail, flipping the switches that can make you do everything from craving a Pepsi to voting Republican.
You know how in the movie Saving Private Ryan when the men are on the beach and every time they move they get ripped by the German MGs? Well imagine that and you have a good idea of what happened to me in turn 2.
I've made a few forrays over the beach wall, but in doing so I cause the first squad into the breach to get cut down by the MGs. The next squad runs through and hopefully survives enough to pop smoke (x2 since the weather is so clear) and allow the next squad to move up and repeat the process. I hope I have enough men and time to reach the top of the cliffs.
I just wish my naval guns would check in to see if I have any targets for them! It must be tea time, because they aren't answering my radio calls.
I've made a few forrays over the beach wall, but in doing so I cause the first squad into the breach to get cut down by the MGs. The next squad runs through and hopefully survives enough to pop smoke (x2 since the weather is so clear) and allow the next squad to move up and repeat the process. I hope I have enough men and time to reach the top of the cliffs.
I just wish my naval guns would check in to see if I have any targets for them! It must be tea time, because they aren't answering my radio calls.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
The naval gunfare may have ceased for the moment, but the neverending thump of what sounds like numerous 60MM machine guns is actually the U.S. mortar fire. It is unrelenting and starting to cause a panic in the heavy emplacements.
The line of smoke clearly marks the American advance ever closer to our positions, and if it were night, we could easily see by the glowing red barrels of our machineguns.
Dissapointment runs at a fever pitch up and down the lines, as we have failed to stem the penetration of the sea wall. There are at least two major penetrations of what we hoped would be a better barrier than it has been. Among the billowing protective blanket of smoke that conceals the American advance, the clear and unmistakable sound of a tracked verhicle can be heard. Without a doubt, the crafty American has been able to advance some armor past the barrier of the sea wall.
We scratch our heads and wonder in amazement at how much smoke the American GI can carry, and pray for a strong wind to carry his curtain away so that we might kill the Bastards before they are knocking down the doors of our Father's houses.
The line of smoke clearly marks the American advance ever closer to our positions, and if it were night, we could easily see by the glowing red barrels of our machineguns.
Dissapointment runs at a fever pitch up and down the lines, as we have failed to stem the penetration of the sea wall. There are at least two major penetrations of what we hoped would be a better barrier than it has been. Among the billowing protective blanket of smoke that conceals the American advance, the clear and unmistakable sound of a tracked verhicle can be heard. Without a doubt, the crafty American has been able to advance some armor past the barrier of the sea wall.
We scratch our heads and wonder in amazement at how much smoke the American GI can carry, and pray for a strong wind to carry his curtain away so that we might kill the Bastards before they are knocking down the doors of our Father's houses.
People like me should scare the hell out of you. Why? Because I can get inside your head. And once there, I run around like a squirrel through a habiTrail, flipping the switches that can make you do everything from craving a Pepsi to voting Republican.
Ahhh, the sweet smell of toasted Jerry! We finally drew some blood against the German strongholds by torching one of the many gun emplacements along the top of the cliffs.
The cliffs are crawling with snipers and they are better shots than I have ever seen before. They take out about 3 of my men before I can even spot them and then it is just luck if I can bring enough firepower to bear against them to get a lucky kill.
We are making progress in the western gully, having routed out a couple squads and a few MGs. Let's see if I get thrown back to the sea wall.
The cliffs are crawling with snipers and they are better shots than I have ever seen before. They take out about 3 of my men before I can even spot them and then it is just luck if I can bring enough firepower to bear against them to get a lucky kill.
We are making progress in the western gully, having routed out a couple squads and a few MGs. Let's see if I get thrown back to the sea wall.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
We must try to turn the tide. The Americans continue to creep forward as if they also are empowered by mother nature. To make things worse the earthshaking devastation of the Naval gunfire has again joined the machinegun like repetition of 60mm mortar. The enemy smoke lays heavy and slowly envelopes our positions. We hear a rapid exchange of gunfire, followed by the deathly silence that can only mean another fallen comrade.
Flank protective machineguns were supressed, the opening of the bunker was heavily smoked, and a brave hearted Bazooka team sneakes up to the flank and ruptures our bunker with a feirce explosion.
We continue to pick away at the enemy with machine gun and sharpshooter, and the sole satisafaction received is listening to an occasional percussion of enemy armor vehicles running into our well placed mines.
Flank protective machineguns were supressed, the opening of the bunker was heavily smoked, and a brave hearted Bazooka team sneakes up to the flank and ruptures our bunker with a feirce explosion.
We continue to pick away at the enemy with machine gun and sharpshooter, and the sole satisafaction received is listening to an occasional percussion of enemy armor vehicles running into our well placed mines.
People like me should scare the hell out of you. Why? Because I can get inside your head. And once there, I run around like a squirrel through a habiTrail, flipping the switches that can make you do everything from craving a Pepsi to voting Republican.
Originally posted by CPT Shoe
...and the sole satisafaction received is listening to an occasional percussion of enemy armor vehicles running into our well placed mines.
I wasn't going to mention that significant blow to my men's morale. There are **** mines all over the place, I thought I was in the clear in that area and BOOM there goes one of my precious AFVs!:mad:
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
No mines this turn, I think I may have located all of them the hard way.
I've reached the top of the cliffs in another location now. It is hard to move forward in all this rough, pock-marked terrain.
No major kills this time. Every time I cause a German squad to retreat, it falls back into very nice defensive terrain, so it is hard to eliminate a squad in one turn.
The navy boys finally woke up and gave us quite a show! I don't know if any Germans were under those barrages, but if they were and they are still alive, they should be shaken up for a while.
I've reached the top of the cliffs in another location now. It is hard to move forward in all this rough, pock-marked terrain.
No major kills this time. Every time I cause a German squad to retreat, it falls back into very nice defensive terrain, so it is hard to eliminate a squad in one turn.
The navy boys finally woke up and gave us quite a show! I don't know if any Germans were under those barrages, but if they were and they are still alive, they should be shaken up for a while.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
More Naval gunfire.
I have some machinegun crews that are now just spotters as the once strong barrels of their guns lay in a puddle of molten metal at their feet.
Hardly any forces left to give resistance to the tide. Have to continue to prolong the inevitable, in the hopes that we may delay them just enough, so that resistance can be more determined farther to our rear. Time to fix bayonets.
I have some machinegun crews that are now just spotters as the once strong barrels of their guns lay in a puddle of molten metal at their feet.
Hardly any forces left to give resistance to the tide. Have to continue to prolong the inevitable, in the hopes that we may delay them just enough, so that resistance can be more determined farther to our rear. Time to fix bayonets.
People like me should scare the hell out of you. Why? Because I can get inside your head. And once there, I run around like a squirrel through a habiTrail, flipping the switches that can make you do everything from craving a Pepsi to voting Republican.
Oh, that's mean. True, but mean.
Well, we reached our first couple of VHs. However it occurs to me that even if I do capture most of the VHs, it will not be a victory for me because I am losing so many squads. Many of them started understrength and snipers can disperse them. Whereas the Germans only have a bunch of bunkers and on a few squads and MG teams that I have actually seen. Plus more snipers than you can shake a stick at.
I hope the AB guys are doing there best to keep the armor away from the beaches because if they show up there is not much I have to slow them down.
Well, we reached our first couple of VHs. However it occurs to me that even if I do capture most of the VHs, it will not be a victory for me because I am losing so many squads. Many of them started understrength and snipers can disperse them. Whereas the Germans only have a bunch of bunkers and on a few squads and MG teams that I have actually seen. Plus more snipers than you can shake a stick at.
I hope the AB guys are doing there best to keep the armor away from the beaches because if they show up there is not much I have to slow them down.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
:rolleyes: I rufuse to comment on any of this inter-service jaw flappin
Marine translation: "ugh-ugh!", Gerrr. (Said while picking arse with one hand and wiping snot off nose with sleeve of other arm):p
.......................
The Naval Gunfire still rains.
We have lined up all our Grenadiers, and under direction of an obershutze had them all piss on the barrals of the machineguns. We were able to squeeze out a few more rounds and send some additional American squads home from the war early.
Somebody is getting a little bold with their Amphib Armor, and letting them climb the bluffs unattended. I think we have managed to disable one with a PzBuechse 39 (AT Rifles, what a brave idea). The best we can tell, that leaves only two more in operation this side of the sea wall. The American may have taken two minor objectives, but it has been costly, and we are by no means ready to surrender that loss. We are mustering volunteers for a counter-attack right now. At least our supply of mortar rounds is still holding out.
Marine translation: "ugh-ugh!", Gerrr. (Said while picking arse with one hand and wiping snot off nose with sleeve of other arm):p
.......................
The Naval Gunfire still rains.
We have lined up all our Grenadiers, and under direction of an obershutze had them all piss on the barrals of the machineguns. We were able to squeeze out a few more rounds and send some additional American squads home from the war early.
Somebody is getting a little bold with their Amphib Armor, and letting them climb the bluffs unattended. I think we have managed to disable one with a PzBuechse 39 (AT Rifles, what a brave idea). The best we can tell, that leaves only two more in operation this side of the sea wall. The American may have taken two minor objectives, but it has been costly, and we are by no means ready to surrender that loss. We are mustering volunteers for a counter-attack right now. At least our supply of mortar rounds is still holding out.
People like me should scare the hell out of you. Why? Because I can get inside your head. And once there, I run around like a squirrel through a habiTrail, flipping the switches that can make you do everything from craving a Pepsi to voting Republican.
OK, lets try this for the third time!:mad: I tried to post last night (1:00am) but it didn't work and again this morning and now one more time from work.
Those **** snipers are hitting 2 out of 3 shots at 500 yards! Ouch! Especially when you have 3 man squads running around looking for cover.
That Sherman that got immobilized decided to park right in front of an FO bunker, giving the AT rifleman therein about 6 perfect broadside shots. Oh well, I've fixed my "you've been spotted (*)" problem so hopefully I won't do that again.
It was very clever of Shoe to turn down the Op Fire on several of his bunkers so that I think I'm in relative safety and then all hell breaks loose on me.
Other than those minor setbacks, we have attained the tops of the cliffs in a couple locations and are now engaging squads in the treeline beyond the cliff face. The gullies that I want to secure are proving to be more difficult with the trenches and snipers and odd bunker pining me down.
The barbwired seawall is really stalling my advance also. The men who had to jump out of the Higgins boats are only now arriving to reinforce the men originally pinned against the seawall. There aren't many left in some areas, but in others we are overrunning the resistance. A Flamethrower squad can do that (10 men, 2 Fthrowers and a satchel charge).
Those **** snipers are hitting 2 out of 3 shots at 500 yards! Ouch! Especially when you have 3 man squads running around looking for cover.
That Sherman that got immobilized decided to park right in front of an FO bunker, giving the AT rifleman therein about 6 perfect broadside shots. Oh well, I've fixed my "you've been spotted (*)" problem so hopefully I won't do that again.
Other than those minor setbacks, we have attained the tops of the cliffs in a couple locations and are now engaging squads in the treeline beyond the cliff face. The gullies that I want to secure are proving to be more difficult with the trenches and snipers and odd bunker pining me down.
The barbwired seawall is really stalling my advance also. The men who had to jump out of the Higgins boats are only now arriving to reinforce the men originally pinned against the seawall. There aren't many left in some areas, but in others we are overrunning the resistance. A Flamethrower squad can do that (10 men, 2 Fthrowers and a satchel charge).
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
The masses are starting to build now. To make things worse, my large mortars are now out of all but smoke rounds. Still have 81mm left and we are trying to work the infantry stalled behind the sea wall.
Units that have reached the top of the cliffs now have free rein and are impossible to contain. I am calling frantically for help on all means of communication, with no results. I have launched carrier pidgeons and dispatched runners with tin cans and string (desperate times call for desperate measures) to try and make their way to our rear, but sadly the Naval gunfire drowns out any sound we might have been able to hear.
We are hanging on by our fingertips.
Units that have reached the top of the cliffs now have free rein and are impossible to contain. I am calling frantically for help on all means of communication, with no results. I have launched carrier pidgeons and dispatched runners with tin cans and string (desperate times call for desperate measures) to try and make their way to our rear, but sadly the Naval gunfire drowns out any sound we might have been able to hear.
We are hanging on by our fingertips.
People like me should scare the hell out of you. Why? Because I can get inside your head. And once there, I run around like a squirrel through a habiTrail, flipping the switches that can make you do everything from craving a Pepsi to voting Republican.
Moving forward in some areas and grinding halt in others. In the east a HUGE bunker just decided to open up on me from 3 hexes away. They seem to be sprouting from the earth. I don't want to say how close one of my Shermans was to finding that one the hard way. It has moved to a (hopefully) safer location.
The west seems to be where my advance is moving south the best although with my last move I discovered a second 88mm AAA gun just waiting to tear me up. That's two 88s (I think) that are just a little too close to each other. I think I'll call my friends in the navy...
The west seems to be where my advance is moving south the best although with my last move I discovered a second 88mm AAA gun just waiting to tear me up. That's two 88s (I think) that are just a little too close to each other. I think I'll call my friends in the navy...
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom




