Allied sub routes - a pic?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Post Reply
User avatar
KPAX
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:19 pm
Location: Where the heart is; Home of the Fighting Irish

Allied sub routes - a pic?

Post by KPAX »

Anyone like to offer this struggling sub skipper some thoughts on where to place my subs after the fall of DEI?

A picture of the sub routes would be super duper and much apprectiated.
"War makes Heros on both sides." Hero (the movie)

Image

Thanks !!

KPAX
jcjordan
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:00 am

RE: Allied sub routes - a pic?

Post by jcjordan »

If you're talking the Dutch subs, most of the time I base them out of Columbo/Perth once the DEI fall. Some of the short range ones along w/ the US S boats from the Phil I operate out of Darwin w/ an AS based there. I operate them near the main ports like Singapore/Soerbaja/Manila/Siagon/Hong Kong/Rangoon (if Jap)/any where else that the IJ would be using as a major base for resources/oil/fuel/supply
jmalter
Posts: 1673
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:41 pm

RE: Allied sub routes - a pic?

Post by jmalter »

rich pickins' can be got w/ patrol-zones 3 hexes to N, NW & SW Talaud-eilanden (79, 97) and in the narrow sea between Borneo & Celebes, based out of Darwin.

if you saved any Dutch AS ships, make an advance sub-base at Exmouth or Port Hedland - Perth/Columbo is a bit far from the Java Sea.

a PZ that includes Buna, Lae & Finschhafen will help your eventual New Guinea offensive, based out of Townsville.

Dutch boats & USN S-boats are your guys until the fleet boats dud-rate decreases in '43.

Image
Attachments
subpatrol1.gif
subpatrol1.gif (130.14 KiB) Viewed 317 times
User avatar
Titanwarrior89
Posts: 3282
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:07 pm
Location: arkansas
Contact:

RE: Allied sub routes - a pic?

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

I would use them to help slow down the Japanese advance....with them being supported out of OZ. The allied Subs are a joke! Basicly their free Points to the jap... if they do fire they don't hit anything of substance or their dud's(and yes the dud rate is too high in this game-I can read history as well). The Dutch sub's at least will fight back....work them around borneo, PI....keep them out of the shallow's. If possible save them once the japs take all of the outer islands around borneo,dutch east indies....send some to slow down the japanese advance into and around the Solomons-again they fight and their torpedos work-otherwise you'll be pulling your hair out hoping your allied subs do something-even into mid 44 or later.
ORIGINAL: KPAX

Anyone like to offer this struggling sub skipper some thoughts on where to place my subs after the fall of DEI?

A picture of the sub routes would be super duper and much apprectiated.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
User avatar
Encircled
Posts: 2097
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:50 pm
Location: Northern England

RE: Allied sub routes - a pic?

Post by Encircled »

Depends on whether you are facing a human or AI at a guess.

I've got sub bases at Columbo, Perth, Brisbane, Pearl and Adak Island.

Any deep water straits are a must (like JMalter says)

I'm using them about 50/50 to attempt to find Japenese ships and protect my routes of advance.

I'm in Aug '42 versus the AI though, and its my first ever game, so I'm open to suggestions!

Image[/img]
User avatar
KPAX
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:19 pm
Location: Where the heart is; Home of the Fighting Irish

RE: Allied sub routes - a pic?

Post by KPAX »

I was kinda thinking the same thing as mentioned above. Thanks for the suggestions.

FYI ... did you know hitting the "6" key when you are in the patrol zone for either the subs or ASW will show the PZ for everyone on the map? I find that most helpful so that I have things covered.

Maybe a map or two with the PZ shown?
"War makes Heros on both sides." Hero (the movie)

Image

Thanks !!

KPAX
jmalter
Posts: 1673
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:41 pm

RE: Allied sub routes - a pic?

Post by jmalter »

hey KPAX, here's an hk6 screengrab from my game, it's 1/43.

4 subs N of New Britain are fleet-boats based in Darwin.
8 subs S of New Britain are S-boats based in Townsville or Luganville.

i'm not afeard of running subpatrol PZs in to minor enemy bases, but won't make a run at a major base such as Rabaul unless i want to do a findaminefield recon.

SW of Port Moresby you'll see 2 x 2-CV TFs, providing air/ASW cover to 2 x 5-BB TFs that are shuttling between bombardment attacks on PM & AE-aided re-arm in Townsville. 5 x 4E sqns (from Cooktown) are keeping the enemy air at Lae & Buna under wraps, and TBFs from CVE Long Island (along w/ whatever is on offer for ASW TFs from Townsville) are keeping the back door open w/ ASW patrols.

Oz LCUs in PM have been doughty, but after ~200 days of bombardment attacks on the IJ invaders in their hex, they're about played out. they're well-supplied & have reduced the IJ assault value from 1200 to 850, but can't get any further, and their fatigue/morale level is sliding down. so i'm aiding them w/ a 2-3 week naval op of BB shells, whilst my 3rd USN CVTF refits in Sydney, and the USMC LCUs & associated stuff return victorious from Tulagi to Noumea, planning to reinf PM & land heavily on Shortlands in 3/43.

Image
Attachments
subpatrol2.gif
subpatrol2.gif (111.1 KiB) Viewed 317 times
tc464
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:33 pm
Location: Sodom on Potomac

RE: Allied sub routes - a pic?

Post by tc464 »

Against a human (Mike Solli) I've used the Dutch and S boats all around PNG. In the opening days I moved them all to the Solomon Sea for the inevitable PM invasion. I ended up sinking one of his carriers and badly damaging another, stopping the PM invasion cold. Today I've got some of the boats around Merauke trying to fend off an invasion there. Coupled with the Dutch Do-24's set on naval attack, they have been a fairly large thorn in his side for the entire game so far (we're in late April '42)
User avatar
ny59giants
Posts: 9902
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:02 pm

RE: Allied sub routes - a pic?

Post by ny59giants »

Look at the maneuver factor for your American subs. The Perch, Porpoise, and Shark Class all have 80 while the rest have it at 70. Thus, these three Class subs should be used in the shallow ocean hexes which includes the SRA. I almost always use Patrol Zones and use all three waypoints with the possibility of a sub staying at a base for one turn. When I play Japan, I mine the two bases at the end of Java and place ACMs there to tend the minefields.

Look to have your subs patrol near the bases which produce a large amount of oil and/or resources that will need to be shipped out regularly. I use waypoints that keep the transports and tankers in the shallow hexes as much as possible.
[center]Image[/center]
User avatar
dr.hal
Posts: 3587
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:41 pm
Location: Covington LA via Montreal!

RE: Allied sub routes - a pic?

Post by dr.hal »

Don't forget the other areas such as Japan and the islands in the central Pacific. I use the long range US boats there to ensure that the Jap play is using assets to escort those supply lines. The torpedoes are crud (I was going to say something a bit more descriptive but I didn't want the forum police to have a fit!) but if the ships are not escorted, then the deck gun comes into play! That doesn't normally sink a ship, but it makes it look like Swiss cheese! Hal
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”