OT: WITP-AE

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

User avatar
TulliusDetritus
Posts: 5581
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:49 am
Location: The Zone™

RE: OT: WITP-AE

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Scary thing is looking at the number of public AAR's here versus the number of AE AAR's ... actually a sad commentary. I don't know if the number of ongoing public AAR's correlates to games sales well, but if it does .... as old as AE is, there are still so many active AAR's going on. And this is a game that if it goes to conclusion takes +2years of RL.

I suspect this game is being played primarily solo, and WITP is mostly being played by PBEM. Quite frankly, this game has serious PBEM problems and the design isn't as mature as the pacific game's, so that is about what I would expect. Whereas WITPAE isn't what I would call a casual or solo friendly game. Anybody playing it is almost by definition a stone cold fanatic. The level of enthusiasm is going to be high, but not necessarily reflective of the numbers who are playing the game.
Flaviusx,

Good points, and I have no idea as to numbers.

I only play AI as I can't get the time to commit to a PBEM, and I would really like to. I know several other 'veteran' posters in the same boat. According to comments the AE devs have made in the past, AI players outnumber the PBEM players by a wide margin ... but does that mean there are 20 of us or 26? [:D]

Matrix never publish the sales they're doing [8D]

But years ago in the WitP forum someone from the company had publicly said the dwellers of the forum only made 1/10 of all the players (aka the clients).

Among this 1/10 many are only AI players (like me). So the overwhelming majority are indeed playing vs the AI.

I suspect it's basically the same with WitE. A much better game if we think about PBEM though. I only stayed away from PBEM in WitP because it is a huge committment I am not ready to respect! One turn every single day, and this for two years minimum! I should be really drunk to sign this contract (à la Faust with the devil?) [:D]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
User avatar
Sardaukar
Posts: 12857
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Finland/Israel

RE: OT: WITP-AE

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

AE is the best game ever designed (well, redesigned). Period.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

+1 here.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Image
User avatar
RCHarmon
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:41 am

RE: OT: WITP-AE

Post by RCHarmon »

I went ahead and bought WITP-AE two or 3 months back. It is a monster of a game. What I like about it so far is that there are smaller scenarios. I have played Coral Sea and Guadalcanal. Even thought the smaller scenarios don't fully show all what the game is capable of they are very good and interesting fights.

So you don't need to know all the ins and outs to play the game. I will probably be sticking with smaller scenarios for a while.
Cavalry Corp
Posts: 4316
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:28 pm
Location: Sampford Spiney Devon UK

RE: OT: WITP-AE

Post by Cavalry Corp »

AE is still probably the best game - ever ...

But when WITP came out I thought that was good - then AE toppled it right over.

Now that leads me to WITE - We all think its pretty neat and it is but if there is ever a WITE 2 and the difference is as much as WITP v AE then this version of wite will be consigned to history.

The main thing I still do not like about this game is no replay. watching the replay in AE is part of the ride. You see your opponents tactics and remember the flow of what is happening without this is half the pleasure ( learning) is gone but that is the way it is I guess.

The main thing that will stop new players getting into AE is no updated manual for a looong time. We are real lucky this game is being updated as it goes.

Cav
User avatar
jnpoint
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:05 am
Location: Øster Hornum, Denmark

RE: OT: WITP-AE

Post by jnpoint »

ORIGINAL: hfarrish


I have never been a big Pacific theatre guy but given the love everyone seems to have for WITP-AE I went over to its forum to check it out - and I return terrified. You have to set up how fuel moves between multiple islands and pick the individual transports that move it?

It's obviously an extremely popular game, so should I be afraid to pick it up and take it for a test drive? NB: I don't have a lot of spare time, maybe an hour or two (at the max) per day for gaming.

I just picked it up a few weeks ago, and it is terrifying complex. I have almost no idea of what happened in the pacific, almost only in Europe, and I love playing wargames covering Europe. But I must admit that WitP AE is the best wargame right now. I also have to say, that I love micromanagement.
And lastly, I only have the same spare time as you do.
User avatar
Empire101
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: Coruscant

RE: OT: WITP-AE

Post by Empire101 »

I enjoy both games extensively. Both have their pro's and con's and both should be treasured.
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

User avatar
Rasputitsa
Posts: 2902
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Bedfordshire UK
Contact:

RE: OT: WITP-AE

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: hfarrish
Side note for you Flavius - any thoughts on books regarding the individual Soviet fighting man other than Ivan's War (which I have...)? I know that there just isn't that much material out there given the literacy rate and reasons for caution that would have limited Soviet soldiers willing to write about their experiences...

The Bloody Triangle - The Defeat of Soviet Armor in the Ukraine, June 1941 - Victor J. Kamenir, is not about the experiences of the individual Soviet soldier, but it does cover, in great detail, the experiences of the South Western Front in the first days of Barbarossa.

Whereas many titles are showing the big picture, over longer timescales, this book gives a concentrated blow by blow account of the first 10 days, mainly from the Soviet perspective and has a lot of detail of what the Soviet forces, at all levels, went through in 1941. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: OT: WITP-AE

Post by Speedysteve »

Both very very good games.

hfarrish - if you have any queries, concerns etc on AE just ping me a message as I've played it a lot (and still do with a 2 year + AAR).
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
JocMeister
Posts: 8258
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Sweden

RE: OT: WITP-AE

Post by JocMeister »

I have played WITP and WITP:AE on and off for the last 6 years. Started my first PBEM about 7 month ago.

Yes, its a very complex game and it can be frustrating at times especially in the beginning when you don´t really understand much. But there are smaller scenarios to help you learn the game and a VERY helpful forum. There is also a ton of AARs to read and learn from. It will take several months of learning but I promise it will be worth it! [:)]

I did buy WITE on relase and played it for about 3 months. Its a ok game but I quickly found myself back playing AE.

WITE might be just as good in 10 years time but in the meantime I will continue with AE.

Image
User avatar
Grotius
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:34 pm
Location: The Imperial Palace.

RE: OT: WITP-AE

Post by Grotius »

I enjoy both games, but I also prefer AE. I have learned more from AE than any game I've ever played. It's one thing to read about the importance of logistics. It's another to be responsible for moving all that oil, fuel, resources and supply around. It's a tremendously interesting challenge. On top of that, the WEGO system works really well in that context: you never know what to expect when you move a task force or fly an air mission. That's especially true in PBEM, but even against the AI, surprises happen all the time.
Image
Mac Linehan
Posts: 1519
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:08 pm
Location: Denver Colorado

RE: OT: WITP-AE

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

WitP-AE is a beautiful game, and once you learn the basics yo will be hooked.

But be warned; that it is also a like very intoxicating drug, and can gobble up your life.

DivePac88 is concise and spot on. 95 plus percent of my playing time - since AE's release (2009) has been consumed by AE. Speaking as an AE Logistics Fan Boy, the game is second to none. When one adds the Babes Scenario 28C or Reluctant Admiral 4.6 mods - with Andrew Brown's extended map, I am euphoric <grin>

hfarrish -

Footslogger, Encircled, PaxMondo, TD, DivePac88 and Q-Ball are all well known to me from the AE Forums and know of what they speak.

I have - easily - 10 or more excellent games (from my perspective) that have been waiting on the shelf due to my time commitment to AE. Only recently did I make a decision to allot time to learn and play other titles. AE of course, is a part of my life; I will always play it. Am going to try and achieve some level of balance; WitE is at the top of the list - I know it will be good.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
User avatar
Hellfirejet
Posts: 3040
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:19 pm
Location: Fife Scotland
Contact:

RE: OT: WITP-AE

Post by Hellfirejet »

WITP AE is a superb game but if you only have 1 or 2 hours available to play per day,that ain't going to be enough,once you start playing the life you knew is a thing of the past,the game is addictive.
Make it so!
User avatar
Crimguy
Posts: 1408
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:42 pm
Location: Cave Creek, AZ

RE: OT: WITP-AE

Post by Crimguy »

I've been playing Witp since it's release. Unfortunately I have repeatedly had to bail out of pbem's, and drop solo games for that matter, due to the reality that you need a ton of time to do it. I love the game but find myself immersed for hours at a time. Doing one turn. So, for me, it's virtually unplayable.

It is fascinating though and will always be on my hard drive.
________________________
www.azcrimes.com
<sig removed because I'm a bandwidth hog>
Banzan
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:28 pm
Location: Bremen, Germany

RE: OT: WITP-AE

Post by Banzan »

Many people looking at WitPAE do a common mistake: They start it with looking at/playing the the Grand Campaign. Doing so, it will overhelm you.

I owned WitPAE for some years and gave it another try from time to time but stopped soon again as i never saw any point in anything i did. Someday i decided to play some of the smaller scenarios to get a feeling for it, and it become a blast from there on. [:D]

Opposite to WitE (and as any other strategic game i ever played before), the WitPAE GC needs much more planning ahead into the far future.
Opposite to WitE, you can set your targets quite different every game.

Like WitE, you have one strong side at start (japan) who will beat the shit out of the allies for quite some time (feels like forever if you play allies [;)]), and there is also a turnover when allies production starts to show off.
Like WitE, the air model isn't perfect and can be exploited (mainly late war), but it works very well within its limits.

In conclusion, i like and play both games (only singleplayer games due time limits), where WitE is much faster to play and in WitPAE each game is more different.

Numdydar
Posts: 3283
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:56 pm

RE: OT: WITP-AE

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus
ORIGINAL: hfarrish
You have to set up how fuel moves between multiple islands and pick the individual transports that move it?

Yes [:)] There's the auto-convoy option, but no serious WitP AE player uses it (except for bases far in the rear).

The thing is everything is absolutely intermingled. First of all the ships must arrive (fuel and supplies). Then you can start building the airfield, port, fortifications. Engineers will be needed. But of course, you will then need airplanes to protect the base (fighters and then level bombers)... The airplanes will need an AA unit to protect them. They will also need infantry to protect the base... And the infantry will need support (bring support units: base units in the game)...

Then the base will need protection from the sea: mines, surface TFs...

Etc etc

That's the whole thing: it's -again-, totally intermingled... Lots of variables, options, flexibility. Logistics of the highest degree that is. In fact, you will notice most of us love -above all other things- the logistical thing of the game.

Because it is really about logistics (what professionals do, right? [8D]). And from time to time, the firecrackers: naval, land, air battles, amphibious operations...

I beg to differ to the above [:)].

I consider myself a serious WitP AE player and use auto convoys all the time as Japan. Especially that all the issues were fixed with them in the latest patch. Prior to that the AC system WAS totally hosed. Now they work as adevertised. The reason I know is I was involved in the beta patchs getting this issue resolved [:)].

One thing to keep in mind is that the latest patch has fixed and/or addressed so many things. So if you are not playing with the newest patch, a lot of your past knowledge about the game is going to be off base.

I'm in a early '44 PBEM game and I can attest that the game plays VERY different now than it did when we started it. Almost a 100% improvement imho.

Just something to keep in mind.
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”