Not so OT: Images from San Diego
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
- Titanwarrior89
- Posts: 3282
- Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:07 pm
- Location: arkansas
- Contact:
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
Interesting photos.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".
"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
This is what a SH2 deploying it's MAD looks like. The MAD "bird" is the trailing thing on the wire. In it's store position it's reeled tight against the starboard side.]


- Attachments
-
- sprite3.jpg (45.47 KiB) Viewed 473 times
- geofflambert
- Posts: 14887
- Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
- Location: St. Louis
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
Ugh...midnight insomnia. Well, here's another one for those in the know (I apologize for the glare-there was a plexiglass barrier behind the pilot). What type of aircraft cockpit?
![]()
Trick Question. This is no aircraft, it's obviously an Imperial Walker.
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
Smart aleck! [&o]ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
Wolverine paddle CVT. Wolverine and Sable passing each other.
CV(paddle)?

- Attachments
-
- Carrierplacard2.jpg (331.3 KiB) Viewed 473 times

- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
Alright...
Top to bottom-class names please...

Top to bottom-class names please...

- Attachments
-
- carrierplacard3.jpg (166.83 KiB) Viewed 473 times

- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
Errr... that's a SH2 lamps 1. It carries it's MAD on a "bird" on the side. The Dome under the chin is an LN-66 RADAR.
I think you're right, Steve-o. My pictures were out of sync. [&o]

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
Errr... that's a SH2 lamps 1. It carries it's MAD on a "bird" on the side. The Dome under the chin is an LN-66 RADAR.
I think you're right, Steve-o. My pictures were out of sync. [&o]
Not trying to be a pain. It just seems like every single #$^^%%$# rating exam I ever took had questions on the LN-66. I had to study a gadget that I'd never actually seen. It's one of those worthless bits of information you are forced to learn , then spend the rest of your life waiting for a chance to use it. I'M still waiting to use that worthless bit of data that I had to learn in 3rd grade social studies. "Bolivia exports tin". [:(][:D]
- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
Not trying to be a pain.
Not at all. I appreciate the first hand knowledge that these sorts of pictures bring out...[8D]

- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
BUMP! For those of you that are looking at this thread, please note the quiz in post 65 (above). Test your knowledge... [8D]

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
When I enterred the USNR/USN in early 1977 all of those things were true. And it was a lot worse. We had what was called a "hollow force". A starvation force would have been more accurate. It was two years after South Vietnam ceased to exist. better than half of our surface ships had served in WW2. The draft had just ended, so there was no compulsion to join the Navy to avoid the Army. Although the economy had tanked, military pay had not been adjusted since Korea (as a E-1 I took home $300.00 a month), and you could make more money on unemployment or welfare. E-5's were leaving to work as store clerks for Sears so they could make more money. And it showed no chance of improvement. Even when ship captains started refusing to put to sea because they just didn't have enough junior non-coms.
Since there was no way to make living standards even as good as federal prisoners, DILLIGAF and BOHEICA became the watch words of the troops. Promotions were frozen horribly for senior NCOs , and wide open for juniors (petty officer 3rd in less than a year. 2nd class in two....because every one was leaving.
Precisely the reason I got out of the Navy in 1976.
"Life's a b***h, then you die."
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
nice photos Chickenboy, thanks
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
Alright...
Top to bottom-class names please...
![]()
It looks like a Long Island class, Cassablanca class, and a Saganonan class (converted tankers). The bottom two are Wolverine and Sable.
- Kwik E Mart
- Posts: 2447
- Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:42 pm
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
ORIGINAL: sandman455
And AW1 Steve - nice sea story about getting pulled from an S-3 flight by someone. Total BS of course. Either you are on the flight schedule or you aren't. There are no exceptions. Wouldn't be hard to get a hop if you were at NAS Cecil or NAS North Island. You could of gotten the ejection seat check on on the seat in 10 minutes. Some squadron would surely have an empty seat on any given day, you just have to keep calling squandron ops offices for a week or so until they are sick of hearing from you. Then you get your hop.
I've gone into detail , way and above what I ever wanted to, or feel that I needed to , because Sandman , in effect called me a liar. I don't appreciate it, I don't deserve it, but that has never stopped someone who wasn't there , and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, from trying to pretend he knows all, and has done it all. I reponded with this story , which in my opion is no ones business but the people involved, because I value the good will and good opinion of those other forumites who don't have the whole story. Mr Sandman's opinion means nothing to me , as I've now "green buttoned" him. His thoughs, given so freely and carelessly , are valued. And any direct response to him might be construed as a "personal attack". Frankly , he's not worth it.
WTF? do you go off the handle like this all the time? wasn't Sandman was saying the fact that you got bumped from the flight was BS and uncalled for, not that you were making up the story...geesh...[8|]
Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
It looks like a Long Island class, Cassablanca class, and a Saganonan class (converted tankers). The bottom two are Wolverine and Sable.
Top class (all are same class) is Sangamon Class.
Bottom is Wolverine class.

- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
Here's the placard on Sangamon class:


- Attachments
-
- Sangamonc..placard.jpg (344.88 KiB) Viewed 473 times

- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
Tonight's quiz:
Name the three carrier classes-top to bottom:

Name the three carrier classes-top to bottom:

- Attachments
-
- August15..classes.jpg (239.53 KiB) Viewed 473 times

- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
Nice model of the Gambier Bay (Casablanca class): 1 of 3 images


- Attachments
-
- Gambierbay1of3.jpg (220.41 KiB) Viewed 473 times

- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
2 of 3:


- Attachments
-
- Gambierbay2of3.jpg (459.09 KiB) Viewed 473 times

- Chickenboy
- Posts: 24648
- Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:30 pm
- Location: San Antonio, TX
RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
Gambier Bay-3 of 3:


- Attachments
-
- Gambierbay3of3.jpg (353.17 KiB) Viewed 473 times

RE: OT: San Diego naval exhibits
ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
ORIGINAL: sandman455
And AW1 Steve - nice sea story about getting pulled from an S-3 flight by someone. Total BS of course. Either you are on the flight schedule or you aren't. There are no exceptions. Wouldn't be hard to get a hop if you were at NAS Cecil or NAS North Island. You could of gotten the ejection seat check on on the seat in 10 minutes. Some squadron would surely have an empty seat on any given day, you just have to keep calling squandron ops offices for a week or so until they are sick of hearing from you. Then you get your hop.
I've gone into detail , way and above what I ever wanted to, or feel that I needed to , because Sandman , in effect called me a liar. I don't appreciate it, I don't deserve it, but that has never stopped someone who wasn't there , and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, from trying to pretend he knows all, and has done it all. I reponded with this story , which in my opion is no ones business but the people involved, because I value the good will and good opinion of those other forumites who don't have the whole story. Mr Sandman's opinion means nothing to me , as I've now "green buttoned" him. His thoughs, given so freely and carelessly , are valued. And any direct response to him might be construed as a "personal attack". Frankly , he's not worth it.
WTF? do you go off the handle like this all the time? wasn't Sandman was saying the fact that you got bumped from the flight was BS and uncalled for, not that you were making up the story...geesh...[8|]
THAT is definately NOT the way I took it. If he comes back and says it is , then I will humbly apologize and fall on my sword. Try re-reading it again. "Either you are on the flight schedual or you are not". That doesn't sound like he's being sympathetic to me. What he's saying is my story is BS. And I don't particularly appreciate being called a liar. [:@]






