ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
Tonight's quiz:
Name the three carrier classes-top to bottom:
![]()
Langley ,Essex and Cassablanca? [&:]
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
Tonight's quiz:
Name the three carrier classes-top to bottom:
![]()
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
Tonight's quiz:
Name the three carrier classes-top to bottom:
![]()
Langley ,Essex and Cassablanca? [&:]

THAT is definately NOT the way I took it. If he comes back and says it is , then I will humbly apologize and fall on my sword. Try re-reading it again. "Either you are on the flight schedual or you are not". That doesn't sound like he's being sympathetic to me. What he's saying is my story is BS. And I don't particularly appreciate being called a liar.
ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
ORIGINAL: sandman455
And AW1 Steve - nice sea story about getting pulled from an S-3 flight by someone. Total BS of course. Either you are on the flight schedule or you aren't. There are no exceptions. Wouldn't be hard to get a hop if you were at NAS Cecil or NAS North Island. You could of gotten the ejection seat check on on the seat in 10 minutes. Some squadron would surely have an empty seat on any given day, you just have to keep calling squandron ops offices for a week or so until they are sick of hearing from you. Then you get your hop.
I've gone into detail , way and above what I ever wanted to, or feel that I needed to , because Sandman , in effect called me a liar. I don't appreciate it, I don't deserve it, but that has never stopped someone who wasn't there , and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, from trying to pretend he knows all, and has done it all. I reponded with this story , which in my opion is no ones business but the people involved, because I value the good will and good opinion of those other forumites who don't have the whole story. Mr Sandman's opinion means nothing to me , as I've now "green buttoned" him. His thoughs, given so freely and carelessly , are valued. And any direct response to him might be construed as a "personal attack". Frankly , he's not worth it.
WTF? do you go off the handle like this all the time? wasn't Sandman was saying the fact that you got bumped from the flight was BS and uncalled for, not that you were making up the story...geesh...[8|]

ORIGINAL: sandman455
ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
I've gone into detail , way and above what I ever wanted to, or feel that I needed to , because Sandman , in effect called me a liar. I don't appreciate it, I don't deserve it, but that has never stopped someone who wasn't there , and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, from trying to pretend he knows all, and has done it all. I reponded with this story , which in my opion is no ones business but the people involved, because I value the good will and good opinion of those other forumites who don't have the whole story. Mr Sandman's opinion means nothing to me , as I've now "green buttoned" him. His thoughs, given so freely and carelessly , are valued. And any direct response to him might be construed as a "personal attack". Frankly , he's not worth it.
WTF? do you go off the handle like this all the time? wasn't Sandman was saying the fact that you got bumped from the flight was BS and uncalled for, not that you were making up the story...geesh...[8|]
No the AW1 has it right. Kind of. The utter truth as any 1310 would know is that you are either on the flight schedule or you are not. Forgive me - maybe the P-3's have too many seats to worry about but I doubt it. In absence of a flight schedule then he would have been penciled into the flight plan by the PIC or MC. No flight schedule, no flight plan - then they were obviously flying VFR. Did you guys fly VFR much?
Based on his 2nd post in response to mine, I guess it's reasonable to just go out VFR into the local pattern for some fam hops to recruit some AW's. After a beer or two I'd buy it. Sober though I know not many skippers would cotton to that kind of activity especially being so far from S-3 maintenance and support. The administrative wing could have sanctioned the event - I've just never heard of such a thing.
But can I have another beer, cause I need to work through the S-2 with 2xAW upgrading to the S-3 with 1xAW creating a shortage somehow? Never heard that from my 5 years in that community. Must have been the P3 community's per diem checks pulling them all away. Yo waitress, I need a refill please.
Not sure why the AW1 didn't just skip the detailed response and simply state he was on the flight schedule or it was just a cluster fam for everyone. He simply got yanked from his spot for not having his ejection seat qual. Ok by me, no need to get crazy defensive - there are some issues I guess. His first post didn't mention this pre-arranged event - just that some guy "demanded to see his ejector seat card." No squadron I've ever been in puts someone down to fly without first getting this sorted out. That's why there is a schedules officer who reports to an Ops officer. Otherwise you'd be cnx a flight for lack of crew?? And bartender I'll take whatever you have on tap.
You know it is perfectly reasonable that a guest AW from the P3 community might be a little confused about how a S3 familiarization hop was going to work so take that FWIW. Yet still sober I start to ponder why he goes on about being 500 miles from a seat simulator when any qualified PR could give him the check-in-the-box on one of those 4 real seats in the S-3 on the flightline in 10 minutes. Surely there must have been a qualified PR around? Otherwise it's hard to give fam hops. Whose ready for another beer?
Cause with no PR around who is going to do the torso harness fitting? Damn did I spill that last one, hit me again.
Oh wait, I bet they put the one-size-fits-all spare torso harness in the X-country plane. The whole ejection sequence doesn't really require a good fit. And wouldn't you know it, I'm dry - who's got this round?
Heck with having a spare torso harness. The P3 fam folks can just borrow the gear of the guy in civilian attire! Hello, are we ready to do some shots?
I must be getting drunk, because if this was just going to be a few touch-and-go's in a strange pattern with unfamiliar aircrew - you don't even need the stupid harness. Safe the seats and just work that huge P3 pattern. They do it all day without ejection seats - so can we.
Whoa, AW1 that's an awesome story. Damn I'm hammered, whose got this tap anyway?
So let's just leave it as he told it. I have no issues calling myself AFU. I know better than to get involved and hell I even busted the senior chief above me in another thread for doing much the same thing to the exact same poster. The sad truth is I'm getting senile in my old age from too many beers. That's because most of my stories were so damn good I needed everyone half in the can or they just wouldn't believe them.
So to set the record straight: the AW1 was yanked from his S-3A, no B, no experimental D . . . X, yeah that's it, S-3DX flight by some "enswine" in civilian attire because the guy was a jerk. Please pardon this drunk sailor who got his head stuck up his ass and tried to piss on a perfectly good and reasonable sea-story. Totally bad form so the next round is on me.
Carry On.
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
I'd love to take this "elsewhere". Any suggestions?

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
I'd love to take this "elsewhere". Any suggestions?
PM comes to mind, Steve. Thanks.








Those were designed to swing outward when the bomb was released, guiding the bomb away from the propeller blades.ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
SBD on the flight deck-bomb release arm and 1000lb bomb under plane.
Anyone tell me how this release arm works?
![]()
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
Tonight's carrier class quiz: Name these-top to bottom:
![]()
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
SBD on the flight deck-bomb release arm and 1000lb bomb under plane.
Anyone tell me how this release arm works?
![]()
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
Lexington,Midway , And I'm going to guess Nimitz. Not a good image. Front looks like a forrestal, island looks like I don't know what. But no smoke, so she's a nuke. It's not the Enterprise, so I'll say Nimitz.
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
SBD on the hangar deck: side view: 2 of 3.
Love the dive brakes...
![]()
ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
SBD on the hangar deck: side view: 2 of 3.
Love the dive brakes...
![]()
Great pictures CB and glad you posted. I have an SBD kit and have a photo-etch set to represent the dive brakes. It's going to be a lot of work but the effect will be spectacular. I really like the fact the dive breaks are red, provides a nice contrast and focal point on the plane.
Those CV models are something! I think one must be a 1:72 scale. Those planes and crew figures seem quite large. That must have been a massive model.



ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
Lexington,Midway , And I'm going to guess Nimitz.
