please explain air superiority in 1.02
Moderator: doomtrader
RE: please explain air superiority in 1.02
And what about having only TWO colours for the different levels (e. g., lets say from light green = weak supremacy to dark green = strong supremacy for axis and light red = weak supremacy to dark red = strong supremacy for allies).
At the moment it is very messy.
At the moment it is very messy.
- Rasputitsa
- Posts: 2902
- Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Bedfordshire UK
- Contact:
RE: please explain air superiority in 1.02
ORIGINAL: Meteor2
And what about having only TWO colours for the different levels (e. g., lets say from light green = weak supremacy to dark green = strong supremacy for axis and light red = weak supremacy to dark red = strong supremacy for allies).
At the moment it is very messy.
I suppose if one side has 'weak supremacy', that would mean the other side has strong supremacy (if they have fighters based nearby) so is that light green, or dark red. I have become used to the present system and, as always, I would prefer that alternatives might be made available (probably through mods), rather than have lose what has already been provided.
Either way, Doomtrader has noted that this is a first try and open to review.[:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon
“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
RE: please explain air superiority in 1.02
I have been advocating for air superiority for some time...now what does that mean in game terms? Does it only affect other air units? Does it affect para units and how? Does it affect naval search? How about stopping an invasion fleet? Convoys have more losses?
The big one should be that it slows up ground movement by interdiction. This was a huge factor in France 1940, the German reaction to D-Day and of course the Battle of the Bulge. Anything that moved was killed by roving fighter bombers and Stukas. It would add to the strategic use of air power tremendously and force good players to really use combined arms tactics, think about the proper use of airpower as well as add a new dimension found in no other WWII strategic simulation.
The big one should be that it slows up ground movement by interdiction. This was a huge factor in France 1940, the German reaction to D-Day and of course the Battle of the Bulge. Anything that moved was killed by roving fighter bombers and Stukas. It would add to the strategic use of air power tremendously and force good players to really use combined arms tactics, think about the proper use of airpower as well as add a new dimension found in no other WWII strategic simulation.
RE: please explain air superiority in 1.02
@Rasp, will mod to whatever color code, (or perhaps small appropriate symbol) you wish.
I'm assuming the colours are from the others.png file.
I'm assuming the colours are from the others.png file.
"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit". -New Order
RE: please explain air superiority in 1.02
No. My idea was to have then a "neutral" zone (maybe in gray) between the light colours. No kind of supremacy is achived there.
- Rasputitsa
- Posts: 2902
- Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Bedfordshire UK
- Contact:
RE: please explain air superiority in 1.02
ORIGINAL: Agent S
@Rasp, will mod to whatever color code, (or perhaps small appropriate symbol) you wish.
I'm assuming the colours are from the others.png file.
I am using your classic map from the standard preference selection (using the B&W version for winter turns, nicely matches snowy weather) and the present air superiority display looks good on these maps.
I personally am not asking for any changes yet, as need to get used to it first, but expect that your modding talents will give some good options. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon
“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
RE: please explain air superiority in 1.02
[:D] You're raising the bar, only hoping I can clear it. (unlike our Aus. pole-vaulter!)
"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit". -New Order
- Rasputitsa
- Posts: 2902
- Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Bedfordshire UK
- Contact:
RE: please explain air superiority in 1.02
ORIGINAL: Agent S
[:D] You're raising the bar, only hoping I can clear it. (unlike our Aus. pole-vaulter!)
There is only one good use for a bar and that is for ordering the drinks. I think we were all a little surprised how well 'Team GB' did, but we had many memories of embarrassments at the hands of the Aussies to drive us on.[;)]
In ToF I am using your Retro map for summer turns and the B+W version for winter turns, both adapted with the SoP sea zone and port colours/icons, the overall effect is excellent. You certainly get Gold for that achievement.[:D]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon
“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
RE: please explain air superiority in 1.02
Just spent about 2 hours with 1.03 on this, and come to these conclusions: we need more clarification from the programmer concerning the comparison of what he calls 'player superiority' vs 'enemy superiority.' And his use of the term 'ratio.' He mentions a ratio of -1, and that makes no sense at all.
- Rasputitsa
- Posts: 2902
- Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Bedfordshire UK
- Contact:
RE: please explain air superiority in 1.02
ORIGINAL: gwgardner
Just spent about 2 hours with 1.03 on this, and come to these conclusions: air superiority coloring doesn't work as advertised. This is definitely going to need work for 1.04. As it is now, I can see no way to make use of this feature.
Haven't been able to get to grips with this yet, as I have been re-installing the visual mods I prefer to use and preparing scenarios, before I can get a new game going in 1.03. I am using '1944 Gotterdammerung' as the basis for a scenario starting in December 1943, to make a more realistic preparation period for amphibious operations in 1944.
1.03 still carries over the errors in the basic scenarios, the Channel Islands are held by Britain (in 1944 ?) and are unfortified and the Dutch coast needs a higher level of fortification, not because of defence construction, but the ability to quickly flood the area gives the potential for water defences better than anything the Atlantic Wall could have done.
The editor has been a challenging experience, but I seem to be making progress, removing the Anzio landing, etc.
I had thought air superiority worked as advertised, but I wasn't so sure about its use in the game, naval superiority is another issue in 1.03, which could be a problem. The defender has to keep ships in sea areas to maintain naval superiority, to negate amphibious landing attempts. Staying at sea, especially in the Channel, they are at considerable attrition risk, the potential attacker merely has to wait and can pop in a landing any time and any where they like.
It may be some time before I can work up to the action part of the game, but looking forward to it a lot.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon
“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
- Rasputitsa
- Posts: 2902
- Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Bedfordshire UK
- Contact:
RE: please explain air superiority in 1.02
ORIGINAL: gwgardner
Just spent about 2 hours with 1.03 on this, and come to these conclusions: we need more clarification from the programmer concerning the comparison of what he calls 'player superiority' vs 'enemy superiority.' And his use of the term 'ratio.' He mentions a ratio of -1, and that makes no sense at all.
The information on this feature is minimal, but it seems that if parts of your territory start to turn purple then you have to worry and reposition existing fighter units, or move in more fighters and the colour code indicates where they have to go, to be effective. I am not sure I want to know exact ratios, but if they are going to be published, then they should make some sense.[:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon
“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
- Rasputitsa
- Posts: 2902
- Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2001 8:00 am
- Location: Bedfordshire UK
- Contact:
RE: please explain air superiority in 1.02
Looking at a 1943 Gotterdammerung scenario, which I intend to use for amphibious operations with solo house rules. I can see that, in this opening turn, I have air superiority over most of the French Channel coast (don't like the muddy colour much, but that can be changed), I only have an advantage (not full superiority) over Dunkirk and around Caen (darker green) and for several hexes inland in Normandy. Depending on where you intend to land, it is a help in fine tuning the position of your fighter units with this feature, such a shame to have a campaign ruined, because you didn't quite have your fighter units properly positioned.
For further operations, after any landings, you can see where the Germans have an air advantage (light green) and superiority (purple). This is also vital information for parachute operations, in support of later ground units, without this guide you may be committing them into hostile airspace.
I can see how useful this feature might be, but I not sure how much more detail should be realistically available, although as always there is no objection in having more options for those who want them, just the chance not to see the detail if you choose.
One of the good things about ToF is that it is not a data fest, so much in the actual events was uncertain and you always have the option not to use this feature at all.[:)]

FOW is switched 'off' to show the effects, but would be 'on' during a game, but the information over the vital areas would still be there.
Note : this is no longer a stock scenario, I have given the Channel Islands to Germany and fortified them, also increased the fortification on the Antwerp approaches to represent the effects of the inevitable flooding.
For further operations, after any landings, you can see where the Germans have an air advantage (light green) and superiority (purple). This is also vital information for parachute operations, in support of later ground units, without this guide you may be committing them into hostile airspace.
I can see how useful this feature might be, but I not sure how much more detail should be realistically available, although as always there is no objection in having more options for those who want them, just the chance not to see the detail if you choose.
One of the good things about ToF is that it is not a data fest, so much in the actual events was uncertain and you always have the option not to use this feature at all.[:)]

FOW is switched 'off' to show the effects, but would be 'on' during a game, but the information over the vital areas would still be there.
Note : this is no longer a stock scenario, I have given the Channel Islands to Germany and fortified them, also increased the fortification on the Antwerp approaches to represent the effects of the inevitable flooding.
- Attachments
-
- ToF01.jpg (495.31 KiB) Viewed 255 times
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon
“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon


