How to repair the big guns on a BB?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Post Reply
User avatar
ww2pacnut
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:20 pm

How to repair the big guns on a BB?

Post by ww2pacnut »

Ok, I have a british BB in Columbo with some damage to her big guns....No matter how I set up the repair options it never fixes these guns? Is the secret a different port or some other tactic (Repair ship, AE?) etc....

Thanks gang.
Alfred
Posts: 6683
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 am

RE: How to repair the big guns on a BB?

Post by Alfred »

User avatar
Disco Duck
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:25 pm
Location: San Antonio

RE: How to repair the big guns on a BB?

Post by Disco Duck »

This is a link without the "search Yellow". Makes it a little easier to read.

tm.asp?m=2990845
There is no point in believing in things that exist. -Didactylos
User avatar
LoBaron
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:23 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

RE: How to repair the big guns on a BB?

Post by LoBaron »

And if you do, don´t hesitate to give that thread a friendly bump, since it seems current policy not to sticky anything anymore.
So sadly these wonderful pieces of work get lost too often.
Image
User avatar
dr.hal
Posts: 3588
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:41 pm
Location: Covington LA via Montreal!

RE: How to repair the big guns on a BB?

Post by dr.hal »

This has been a great tool, as it puts much of the manual and follow on materials all on one thread. What I found interesting is that a size 10 port (and size 9 is the max you can build) can only repair 250 (225 for a home grown size 9) level guns, meaning that if I've done my math right, virtually no eight inch gun, only 6 inch of less. Thus the only option in the game for a CA or above to repair guns is to go to a shipyard. Did I get that right or am I missing something? Hal
User avatar
Don Bowen
Posts: 5192
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA

RE: How to repair the big guns on a BB?

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

This has been a great tool, as it puts much of the manual and follow on materials all on one thread. What I found interesting is that a size 10 port (and size 9 is the max you can build) can only repair 250 (225 for a home grown size 9) level guns, meaning that if I've done my math right, virtually no eight inch gun, only 6 inch of less. Thus the only option in the game for a CA or above to repair guns is to go to a shipyard. Did I get that right or am I missing something? Hal

Yes and No. We went to a lot of trouble to separate "civilian" and "military" features in ports. A large port would naturally have a certain amount of facilities that could be used militarily. Hence the inherent capabilities of the port. But to make a port fully functional for large scale repair of warships, something else is needed.

This is why a large port with no specific military facilities is limited in repairs of big guns (and major damage too). One needs a shipyard of sufficient size or a large number of Naval Support units to get enough capacity for the really big stuff.

The use of Naval Support in AE also means you can shift your resources around. "Roll up" rear area bases and move them forward as needed. Not shipyards, they are major construction projects. But naval support, floating drydocks, repair ships, tenders. With enough of these (especially naval support) you can repair 'most anything.

But there are still limits. In World War II, how many locations could repair a damaged turret on a Yamato or Iowa?
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11263
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

RE: How to repair the big guns on a BB?

Post by PaxMondo »

For the Iowa class ... short list.  And I believe they were all stateside ....
Pax
User avatar
dr.hal
Posts: 3588
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:41 pm
Location: Covington LA via Montreal!

RE: How to repair the big guns on a BB?

Post by dr.hal »

Thanks Don. Certainly I've been in large ports and there is a difference between them and naval ports... the game is a compromise. Thanks for sharing. Hal
Post Reply

Return to “The War Room”